Menu

HSLDA/homeschool regulation story

Word Nerd

Why, yes. And so I did!

< snip >

So that's my story. How goofy and nerdy do I look now?

dd and I always refer to the suburb where I grew up and she lived with her grandmother for about a year as "Stepford" for pretty much the same reasons.

You're not alone. :)

• Like 2

Why, yes. And so I did! I *hated* living in NY, in a small town with small-minded people. When we finally moved to VA, dh jokingly referred to our old NY town as "the place which shall not be named." I suggested that we call it Mordor, as that town is as different to our current home as Mordor is to the Shire! The names stuck, as did some other analogous character names. (I still call some of dh's highly corrupt former co-workers the Nazgul.) While we were living in NY, we added a couple of dogs to our pack, both of whom have hobbit names.

So that's my story. How goofy and nerdy do I look now?

It's OK.  I speak fluent geek. I am absolutely surrounded by them and have an usually high tolerance for their quirks.  I love the geeks.

• Like 3

Well, the *do* handle homeschooling issues and that's why homeschooling is in the title, but first and foremost they are a conservative Christian organization and that's their main priority.  I don't see that they hide that; it seems pretty well-known.

Which would be neat-o if their very name wasn't homeschooling legal defense....!

Thy could rebrand as Christian-Right-Coalescing-Taskforce or something if they wanted ANYONE to remember that their primary objectives aren't dealing homeschool law.

Well, the *do* handle homeschooling issues and that's why homeschooling is in the title, but first and foremost they are a conservative Christian organization and that's their main priority.  I don't see that they hide that; it seems pretty well-known.

But by naming themselves Homeschool Legal Defense Assoc, having the words "advocates for homeschooling since 1983" under their logo, and stating on their about page... 

Through the years, HSLDA’s primary goal has remained the same—to bring together a large number of homeschooling families so that each can have a low-cost method of obtaining quality legal defense...

all make it clear that HSLDA is selling themselves foremost as homeschool legal advocates.  If that is only incidental to their true cause...well, let's just say that they are clearly misrepresenting themselves.  I'm not disagreeing with you, btw, I'm just pointing out that that is not how they present themselves.  I think we can forgive newer homeschoolers if they don't realize HSLDA's agenda.

ETA:  To fix grammar. 

• Like 9

my impression was that most homeschoolers joined HSLDA

HSLDA doesn't represent homeschoolers as a group. It represents a narrowly focused religious and political agenda, and it spends lots of time and money on culture-war issues. They are a group of fear mongers who depend on people thinking that homeschooling regulations are scary and difficult and that government schools are out to get them.

ETA: They are rabidly anti-gay.

I wouldn't join HSLDA for any reason, ever.

ETA: I have heard a few people mention, over the years, how HSLDA has helped them in various situations, and these people seem to believe that they could never have handled the situations themselves and were only saved due to HSLDA. But when they describe their situations, they have always been ones that a clear letter to the school district, detailing the law and how the homeschooler in question is compliant with it, would have taken care of immediately. I was once in a situation where my notification was denied. I sent a letter basically saying "this is the law, I am compliant, you are wrong, give me my excusal," and I got my excusal 5 days later. But some people I knew were insistent that I had to as HSLDA for help. 

Also ETA: I'm constantly surprised by how many people where I live don't know what the homeschool law actually says. It is not convoluted or difficult and is easy to access, but people seem not to read it. It disheartens me because I firmly believe that if you are going to homeschool, know the law. Don't depend on someone else to know it for you.

HSLDA threads get me riled up. :/

• Like 8

I don't know - when they advocate, it seems to me that they are often presenting themselves as representative of homeschoolers' interests, not just a small subsection of homeschoolers.

• Like 3

I'm their target "client," a conservative Christian, homeschooling for the past 15 years. I would never join HSLDA. I've felt the pressure, but I think for the most part, their success is based on scare tactics. Sure, they are influential, and I'm glad for that, but I wish they'd stick to homeschool issues AND stop trying to convince me how much I need them when it's really the other way around. 

• Like 4

But seriously, if you're joining HSLDA aren't you going to do a bare minimum of research on what they do and who they are? Do people really stroke a check each year to an organization they know nothing about? Actually, if they're that dumb-ass stupid, I'm not losing sleep over it. I cannot imagine sending money to them and not having a clue what they do; a very cursory check of their homepage reveals all a potential member needs to know to be able to say "Oh, these are right wingers, maybe I'll pass". Or "Oh, these are right wingers, I like it and think I'll join".

ETA:  Their homeschooling advice is clearly within the framework of a conservative Christian mindset.  Whether one likes that or not, it seems crystal clear to me.

I don't know - when they advocate, it seems to me that they are often presenting themselves as representative of homeschoolers' interests, not just a small subsection of homeschoolers.

Also, I will say that some places require a co-op official card or something from HSLDA as "proof" you are homeschooling in order to get an educator discount.  If you don't live somewhere with an official co-op, then this is one way to save tons on entrance fees to museums, for example.  Unfortunately.

Or - have you ever watched The Rockford Files?*** - you could get together a few friends - let's say nine of them, but less is fine - and come up with a name, perhaps "Something Something Homeschool Network" would do - use your town, or whatever you like.  Then download this .doc file and edit it by putting the name you came up with in place of "Your Group Name Here Homeschool Co-Op" in all ten places you see it in the file.  Print the file on regular paper, then take it to a copy center and get it copied onto a piece of colored cardstock.  Get together with your friends, have a pot luck lunch, and let the kids act out their favorite Greek myths, while you cut on the dotted lines on the cardstock to make ten cards.  Hand one card to each friend, lend them a pen, and have them write in their name and the year ("2015-2016") on their card.  Voila!  You are now a member of a homeschool co-op, and so are all your friends.  Total cost, less than a quarter - for all ten of you!  Much cheaper than HSLDA membership.  Now you can use that money you set aside to pay HSLDA to, instead, visit museums, buy books (we all need more books, right?), or buy some more yummy food for the next pot luck.   :D 

*** From mysterynet.com:  "Jim Rockford was almost the anti-private eye.  No hard-boiled mean streets for Jimbo. He lived in a house trailer by the sun-dappled shores of Malibu and had a beat-up answering machine instead of a sultry secretary. He liked to tool around in the Southern California sunlight in his old Pontiac convertible and had his own small printing press in the rear seat to print up a business card for whatever identity he felt the moment required."

• Like 7

But seriously, if you're joining HSLDA aren't you going to do a bare minimum of research on what they do and who they are? Do people really stroke a check each year to an organization they know nothing about? Actually, if they're that dumb-ass stupid, I'm not losing sleep over it. I cannot imagine sending money to them and not having a clue what they do; a very cursory check of their homepage reveals all a potential member needs to know to be able to say "Oh, these are right wingers, maybe I'll pass". Or "Oh, these are right wingers, I like it and think I'll join".

ETA:  Their homeschooling advice is clearly within the framework of a conservative Christian mindset.  Whether one likes that or not, it seems crystal clear to me.

I think that's why plenty of people don't join, but I am not particularly concerned with that - it's what they tell people outside of homeschooling.  But I think its totally illegitimate of them to claim to represent homeschoolers, per se, when they are lobbying. 

• Like 4

I'm the target audience. I had a membership for two years. Decided to spend the money on books instead. ;)

That being said, I received their newsletter and never once saw a call to political action that wasn't directly related to homeschooling. Updates about the homeschooling situation in Quebec, yes. (Whoo boy.). Unrelated political campaigning, no. Maybe it's the Canadian difference.

• Like 1

So glad to see multi-quote is back.  I missed one that I wanted to quote.  They disgust me in how they remove citizens from their rightful role in advocating for themselves.  They often push local groups out of the way, swoop in and act as if they are saving the day.  It has happened several times here in IL.  We didn't need them.  We were doing just fine on our own.  Why do we need a "suit" from another state speak for us when we can get hundreds and sometimes thousands of well-spoken homeschoolers to show up at our state capitol when an alert calls for action?

Would you mind sharing where?  I'm always looking for a new place to live and would like to avoid that one!  

Also, I will say that some places require a co-op official card or something from HSLDA as "proof" you are homeschooling in order to get an educator discount.  If you don't live somewhere with an official co-op, then this is one way to save tons on entrance fees to museums, for example.  Unfortunately.

You can print one up at Homeschool Buyers' Co-op for free.  I do that and laminate it myself.  However, if you want to pay $7, you can get a nice official looking plastic ID card from them.  A whole lot cheaper than an HSLDA membership. 

A-yup! When we lived in Mordor, the only hs group in driving distance (and the largest organized group in the state) was *very* pushy about everyone needing to be HSLDA members. Ok, I'll grant that NY is a decidedly UN-homeschool-friendly state. But even there, we found that it wasn't really necessary after all, as long as we knew and followed the law. Here in VA, I haven't met a single hs-er who is a HSLDA member.

Ironic how HSLDA had a hand in writing the NY laws.  They pushed the local groups out of the way and did some backroom deals with legislators to write this legislation that is often pilloried as the most onerous laws in the country.

Maybe in your homeschooling circles.  However, when they speak, the purport to be THE voice of homeschoolers.  Reporters and the general public do  not know this.  Thus, homeschoolers as a group are painted as a bunch of conservative nut-jobs. 

I think that's why plenty of people don't join, but I am not particularly concerned with that - it's what they tell people outside of homeschooling.  But I think its totally illegitimate of them to claim to represent homeschoolers, per se, when they are lobbying. 

:iagree: :iagree:  This is one of my biggest beefs with them. 

ETA:  punctuation for clarity

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Here in Wisconsin, the grassroots (and inclusive) group that worked to get our reasonable homeschool law passed in 1984, Wisconsin Parents Association, is still alive and well.  Often when an issue arises in our state, HSLDA and WPA have differing opinions, which makes for some fireworks.  

I've never joined HSLDA in 23 years, but I've started working more actively with WPA because I see the possibility of challenges down the road, in part because of some of the issues raised in the article in the OP.