Menu

HSLDA/homeschool regulation story

Word Nerd

Passing along this lengthy story about HSLDA and homeschool regulation by ProPublica.

I'm surprised the number is so low: "Although its members represent only about 15 percent of the nation’s estimated 1.5 million homeschooled children — up from 850,000 in 1999 — its tactics have made it highly influential."

When I started homeschooling, my impression was that most homeschoolers joined HSLDA, and membership was pushed heavily by our local group.

They have really been trying to make inroads in Canada.  The group that is the most active homeschoolers group here is becoming very closely associated with them.  At this years homeschooling conference, they did a big presentation on how the dept of education is not helpful but dangerous, and essentially why we should see them as the enemy.

That isn't a perspective on government that is very natural to Canadians, and I don't think it particularly fits with many homeschoolers experience of the dept of education in my province.  They have some of the idiosyncrasies of a bureaucracy, but they are generally quite helpful.  The most significant thing they have done that worried homeschooler was initiate a report on what was going on in homeschool families and what might be problems to look into.  And they were pretty responsive to homeschoolers' thoughts about the final report.  I get the impression that they are a bit like the Harper government - if they can prevent information being collected, they can push whatever they want.

They are supposed to be the main speakers at next years conference - quite a let-down from Sonya Schaffer this year, I don't know that I can justify the money just for the curriculum sale.

Secular homeschooling groups exist in every state, but their primary role is to offer support and resources, not to lobby politicians. Even if these groups were to feel strongly about a potential new law, their lack of organizational prowess and funding would make it impossible for them to mount campaigns on the scale of the HSLDA’s.

THIS THIS THIS.

And this is what drives me nuts about efforts like NASH and others I've seen over the years. Secular homeschoolers don't need another conference or more curricula. I mean, okay, sure, more options is good and all, but what we seriously lack is an organized advocacy group. I don't even think the statement that there's a secular group in every state is true. I mean, informally maybe? But an extant, official, non-profit group? I'm actually dubious that that's true. 

• Like 13

They generally refuse to represent anyone that is not religious or the right kind of religion. So Catholic families, Orthodox Families, Buddhist families, Hindu families, atheist families, agnostics....need not apply.

This is a huge segment of homeschoolers. Then there are states in which really people do not need such specialized representation. Michigan is one of them, but there are others that are very easy, pro-homeschooling with rare harassment. Generally speaking the rare times there is a problem, your local family attorney can handle it anyway. So it isn't cost effective to pay those dues for years on end.

Then you have the fact that they get in on lobbying for issues that aren't related to homeschooling which is a turn off for many parents.

The other issue is that they don't represent parents who farm out a lot of subjects so many who are members drop out in high school because between dual enrollment and online AP courses, they aren't teaching directly at least 50% of the subjects which is the guideline that HSLDA uses in order to be a member. Additionally, they require you to list the contact information of every person who will be teaching any subject to your child. Sorry, but they have no right to the address and phone number of the art teacher or the piano teacher or the co-op science teacher, etc. They seem to do a lot of data collection.

So for these reasons, they do not end up representing very many homeschoolers.

Oh, and also, another thing that recently ate into their share of protestant homeschoolers was the fact that Christian Law Association decided that for $105.00 or so per year, churches could get legal assistance for all of the regularly attending homeschooling parents in the church body. That meant that all of these families that tend to religiously homeschool and often form church based co-ops had coverage for the cost of dues to HSLDA for one family. There was a big drop in membership as numerous churches signed up for this service.

• Like 7

No one said they did, including the linked story.

Didn't say there was a claim in the article. However, HSLDA infers that they are the knight in shining armor for homeschoolers against the big, bad government. Was there something wrong with my or FaithManor pointing that out?

• Like 1

Didn't say there was a claim in the article. However, HSLDA infers that they are the knight in shining armor for homeschoolers against the big, bad government. Was there something wrong with my or FaithManor pointing that out?

No. I may have read a tone into your comment that wasn't there.

• Like 2

No, I was just making a statement in response to the last part of your OP. Yes, I remember groups that also pushed them and other homeschoolers making it sound like they were the best thing since sliced bread. It was almost a peer pressure issue of "you weren't properly homeschooling unless you joined" thing. It was relieving actually to not live under the fear tactics and peer pressure for me personally. But anyhow, the response was basically, no, not the majority and there are plenty of reasons why many don't. It wasn't meant to have a tone towards you at all. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

• Like 1

THIS THIS THIS.

And this is what drives me nuts about efforts like NASH and others I've seen over the years. Secular homeschoolers don't need another conference or more curricula. I mean, okay, sure, more options is good and all, but what we seriously lack is an organized advocacy group. I don't even think the statement that there's a secular group in every state is true. I mean, informally maybe? But an extant, official, non-profit group? I'm actually dubious that that's true. 

I wonder though, if that kind of body dedicated to lobbying is really necessary in many cases?

I mentioned that in my province, homeschoolers were quick to address the report by the education department about homeschooling.  There were a number of things that were concerning.  There was a very swift response - the dept people said they had never in their years in the civil service seen a response so quick and to the point.  The HLSDA was not a significant player in that - it was person to person contacts, the Facebook group, and all of the various homeschooling groups, including ones that were just a few parents meeting on a regular basis.  And it was effective, and positively effective - everyone, including the government people, came away feeling like the situation was better than it had been and they had behaved well.

I can't help but think that the HSDLA would not have handled the interaction as well.  And maybe partly simply because they understand themselves as a lobby group - its a huge temptation for such groups to think of everything in terms of a problem, attack, or binary choice.  It keeps their work relevant.

I wonder though, if that kind of body dedicated to lobbying is really necessary in many cases?

I mentioned that in my province, homeschoolers were quick to address the report by the education department about homeschooling.  There were a number of things that were concerning.  There was a very swift response - the dept people said they had never in their years in the civil service seen a response so quick and to the point.  The HLSDA was not a significant player in that - it was person to person contacts, the Facebook group, and all of the various homeschooling groups, including ones that were just a few parents meeting on a regular basis.  And it was effective, and positively effective - everyone, including the government people, came away feeling like the situation was better than it had been and they had behaved well.

I can't help but think that the HSDLA would not have handled the interaction as well.  And maybe partly simply because they understand themselves as a lobby group - its a huge temptation for such groups to think of everything in terms of a problem, attack, or binary choice.  It keeps their work relevant.

I don't think it's necessary in small state changes like you mention. I think statewide groups deal with those better than HSLDA anyway for the most part.

Here's what I would envision a "secular" HSLDA would do...

* field calls from reporters and give quotes about homeschooling, represent homeschoolers in the media the way HSLDA does but with a more balanced perspective

* help coordinate different secular statewide groups when needed, jump in with help when needed, but stay out when not needed

* be willing to jump in and try to motivate people to speak against when HSLDA is organizing homeschoolers to kill off bills that have nothing to do with homeschooling - like, how much better would it have been for, say, that UN disability bill that HSLDA managed to be the main force destroying if a secular group had managed to get people to make even a tenth of the lobbying calls to say, hey, not all homeschoolers agree with this and please don't stop this bill based on homeschooling because it's unrelated

* in general, to de-scare tactic all of HSLDA's nonsense - to send out reasoned positions instead. Like, HSLDA sends out a "Look how evil the government is taking away the Naugler children!" and a good national secular advocacy group should send out a "Wait, this case doesn't deserve your fear or attention!" counter-alert.

* Fund, support, and publicize real research instead of the phony pseudoscience of homeschoolers that HSLDA funds.

• Like 12

Farrar, I like that list.

I would like to see more secular conferences also. To be honest, I've never gone to a conference because of money, travel, or lists against having chidren with you. I have heard enough about them and I've read the lists of speakers. I like variety. Not everyone is hyper-fundamentalist Protestant or Reformed. Not everyone is Quiverfull, owns property, can raise their own animals and start their own business. I love books about religion and philosophy within popular sci-fi or fantasy works. I don't want to sign up for something that tells me that letting my child read Harry Potter or watch Star Wars is putting their soul at risks and will turn them into rebellious, independent thinkers (especially when I am RAISING independent thinkers!).

• Like 9

I would like to see inclusive/secular ACADEMIC conferences. There is a secular conference here but I've never gone because every year when I check the programming, it's geared towards "unschoolers". I want to attend a conference that has all the good academic speakers that the Christian ones do without all the fundamentalists giving theological advice.

• Like 27

I would like to see inclusive/secular ACADEMIC conferences. There is a secular conference here but I've never gone because every year when I check the programming, it's geared towards "unschoolers". I want to attend a conference that has all the good academic speakers that the Christian ones do without all the fundamentalists giving theological advice.

I would turn out for that with bells on even though I'm on the downhill stretch of homeschooling - child number three is a high school senior, and four is a sophomore - just to promote it.

I was just thinking the other day about the journalist for National Geographic that ran up against a wall with his children's public school over taking them to a foreign country for a month. I mean this principle was going to turn him in for truancy and automatically fail the kids even if they took work with them and didn't get behind. It was nuts. So he pulled them permanently and homeschools them on the road. Can you imagine the education they are getting? WOW! Love it. I'd love, love, love to here him speak about it. Also noted though is that as a secular homeschooler, there just isn't anything really out there support wise or curriculum fair wise for he and his wife.

I went to the Midwest convention in Cincinnati several years before the Ken Ham Kerfuffle, and in the vendor hall, except for Rainbow Resource having a sample of Singapore Math on display, I didn't see a single secular curriculum. Rod and Staff, A.C.E., Alpha Omega, Abeka, Bob Jones, Memoria Press, Christian Liberty Press, you name it. Here I was embarking on teaching high school and wanting AP textbooks or AP recommendations. Silly, silly me! What a crazy notion! My friend and I never went back. I am so grateful to Susan for these forums. The women in the high school trenches on the High School Board helped me immensely as I cobbled together a program.

I see a HUGE need for an academic convention as well as an organizing group that has no base in any religion.

• Like 10

When we lived in Virginia, HSLDA managed to kill some very good legislation that both VAHomeschoolers (secular) and HEAV (religious) supported.  HSLDA got hung up on some tiny part of it that most homeschoolers wanted included.  I don't even remember what the legislation was anymore, but I remember it really annoyed me that they did that.  I already didn't like them and that's when I realized they were worthless and quite probably do more harm than good and for the life of me couldn't understand why anyone would pay them actual money.

I am in Michigan. We have no home education regulations and yet HSLDA is still pushed by most moms.

Same here in Texas.  I don't get it.  It's a literal waste of money.

• Like 5

When we lived in Virginia, HSLDA managed to kill some very good legislation that both VAHomeschoolers (secular) and HEAV (religious) supported.  HSLDA got hung up on some tiny part of it that most homeschoolers wanted included.  I don't even remember what the legislation was anymore, but I remember it really annoyed me that they did that.  I already didn't like them and that's when I realized they were worthless and quite probably do more harm than good and for the life of me couldn't understand why anyone would pay them actual money.

I've heard that before, and VA isn't the only state that's had that kind of problem with them. In other cases, state and local homeschooling groups are handling a situation and HSLDA swoops in, whether the help is wanted or not, and takes credit. From the story: "[Farris] said the HSLDA has been involved in 'virtually all' legislative efforts involving homeschooling in the past two decades."

• Like 2

Buying homeschooling legal insurance when you homeschool according to your state's laws is like buying shark attack insurance when you only swim in indoor swimming pools.  Sure, there is a tiny chance that you might get attacked by a shark (because you never know), but in reality, your money is better spent elsewhere.  If you buy into HSLDA, you are protecting yourself against something that is incredibly unlikely to happen because people who are homeschooling legally almost never have legal problems solely because they are homeschooling in accordance with their state's laws.  And if you're not following the laws or if you're doing other sketchy things, then insurance isn't what you need.

• Like 19

Buying homeschooling legal insurance when you homeschool according to your state's laws is like buying shark attack insurance when you only swim in indoor swimming pools.  Sure, there is a tiny chance that you might get attacked by a shark (because you never know), but in reality, your money is better spent elsewhere.  If you buy into HSLDA, you are protecting yourself against something that is incredibly unlikely to happen because people who are homeschooling legally almost never have legal problems solely because they are homeschooling in accordance with their state's laws.  And if you're not following the laws or if you're doing other sketchy things, then insurance isn't what you need.

Yes, that's why we dropped them.

I had to go see the local county worker or processes our paperwork, and she was incredibly helpful and friendly. Then it occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't afraid at all. I began asking around, and it became pretty clear that if you register and are a decent parent, you chances of ever having trouble are miniscule.

Truancy offices around here truly only pursue actual cases regarding kids registered in school, and CPS only concerns themselves with CPS issues.

The only problems I've heard about are if you are being investigated by CPS and have not registered.

• Like 2

I don't think it's necessary in small state changes like you mention. I think statewide groups deal with those better than HSLDA anyway for the most part.

Here's what I would envision a "secular" HSLDA would do...

* field calls from reporters and give quotes about homeschooling, represent homeschoolers in the media the way HSLDA does but with a more balanced perspective

* help coordinate different secular statewide groups when needed, jump in with help when needed, but stay out when not needed

* be willing to jump in and try to motivate people to speak against when HSLDA is organizing homeschoolers to kill off bills that have nothing to do with homeschooling - like, how much better would it have been for, say, that UN disability bill that HSLDA managed to be the main force destroying if a secular group had managed to get people to make even a tenth of the lobbying calls to say, hey, not all homeschoolers agree with this and please don't stop this bill based on homeschooling because it's unrelated

* in general, to de-scare tactic all of HSLDA's nonsense - to send out reasoned positions instead. Like, HSLDA sends out a "Look how evil the government is taking away the Naugler children!" and a good national secular advocacy group should send out a "Wait, this case doesn't deserve your fear or attention!" counter-alert.

* Fund, support, and publicize real research instead of the phony pseudoscience of homeschoolers that HSLDA funds.

It's interesting - quite a lot of these things are about working against the HSLDA!  But yes, I can see some of the things you mention might be worthwhile in themselves, especially the research stuff.  Here in Canada the federal government has very little to do with education, so that is also probably why a national group seems less important to me.

I would turn out for that with bells on even though I'm on the downhill stretch of homeschooling - child number three is a high school senior, and four is a sophomore - just to promote it.

I was just thinking the other day about the journalist for National Geographic that ran up against a wall with his children's public school over taking them to a foreign country for a month. I mean this principle was going to turn him in for truancy and automatically fail the kids even if they took work with them and didn't get behind. It was nuts. So he pulled them permanently and homeschools them on the road. Can you imagine the education they are getting? WOW! Love it. I'd love, love, love to here him speak about it. Also noted though is that as a secular homeschooler, there just isn't anything really out there support wise or curriculum fair wise for he and his wife.

I went to the Midwest convention in Cincinnati several years before the Ken Ham Kerfuffle, and in the vendor hall, except for Rainbow Resource having a sample of Singapore Math on display, I didn't see a single secular curriculum. Rod and Staff, A.C.E., Alpha Omega, Abeka, Bob Jones, Memoria Press, Christian Liberty Press, you name it. Here I was embarking on teaching high school and wanting AP textbooks or AP recommendations. Silly, silly me! What a crazy notion! My friend and I never went back. I am so grateful to Susan for these forums. The women in the high school trenches on the High School Board helped me immensely as I cobbled together a program.

I see a HUGE need for an academic convention as well as an organizing group that has no base in any religion.

I think the conference we have here offers a little more variety - there are secular resources like SM available.  But apart from nature study resources, there are no science programs for sale not creationist. 

The thing I struggle with is that it is the evangelical homeschoolers who seem to have the drive to put these things together.  It is the same with our local homeschool science fair - everyone is welcome, but they ask not to create Biblical controversy.  And that is fair enough - it is a mixed group and they are doing the work.

We actually have a lot of unschoolers around, but they don't tend to be big organizers.

Inclusive, secular, academic homeschoolers are too busy doing schoolwork to run conferences!

I actually don't know anyone who us a HSLDA member and I've been homeschooling for 14 years. I do know people who stay on top of the state laws and send out an alert when a critical mass of homeschoolers is needed to write letters or show up at the capital. I'm getting information without tracking it down myself, so SOMEONE is organized on our state level.

Buying homeschooling legal insurance when you homeschool according to your state's laws is like buying shark attack insurance when you only swim in indoor swimming pools.  

HSLDA membership is not actually even legal insurance, a point they make on their website:

Is HSLDA a prepaid legal service or legal insurance provider?

No. HSLDA is an advocacy organization that defends and advances the right of parents to homeschool. One component of this advocacy is defending our member families from legal challenges to their homeschooling.

The legal services we provide differ significantly from that of a prepaid legal service or legal insurance provider:

We defend and advance your right to homeschool in many ways, not just legally. For example, we promote homeschool-friendly legislation and offer homeschooling information and resources.

There is no limit to the legal services we provide when we defend your homeschool. Depending on your situation, we will give legal advice, correspond with government officials on your behalf, write briefs, appear in court, and appeal your case as necessary. No matter what legal services are necessary to completely defend you, there are no further charges of any kind beyond your annual membership dues.

Your membership dues do not increase if you benefit from our legal services, nor do we drop you as a member.

Consistent with Internal Revenue Service regulations, we cannot guarantee representation in every case. However, in practice, we come to the aid of our members and many nonmembers to protect and advance the right of all to homeschool.

If people want legal insurance, they should look elsewhere.

• Like 2

Only 11 years, but ditto (IRL at least - I do know some on-line who are or were members). And that's in 3 states.

My guess is that they're in concentrated pockets in some red states. You're either surrounded and it seems like most homeschoolers are members, or you're far away and not at all surprised by the low percentage of members.

• Like 1

My guess is that they're in concentrated pockets in some red states. You're either surrounded and it seems like most homeschoolers are members, or you're far away and not at all surprised by the low percentage of members.

See I imagine I know many members just don't know it. It is not something I've ever talked about anywhere but here. would it come up in normal conversation?

When I started homeschooling, my impression was that most homeschoolers joined HSLDA, and membership was pushed heavily by our local group.

When I first started homeschooling, and first started meeting other homeschoolers, the very first question out of their mouths was always, "have you joined HSLDA yet?" And when I said no, the fearmongering ensued. It was creepy, to be honest, how utterly predictable these conversations were. Like it was a cult or something.

I never joined because their politics are so opposite my own, and because I live in a low-reg state where the meager and underfunded government has their hands over-full with the problems in the schools, and could not possibly care less about me and my little one-student homeschool. At first I thought I must be the only non-HSLDA homeschooler out there, but I eventually learned that there were many, many more.

• Like 8

When I began homeschooling, I never considered joining HSLDA. I saw no reason, I followed the law, period, no brainer. I also do not agree with their ideology or politics. I moved to another state with different laws, I educated myself, followed them, still didn't join HSLDA.

Then I moved to an area that is like no man's land for homeschoolers. The laws are fuzzy, schools can use intimidation and unfair testing to force kids into school, parents I know personally have had CPS files opened on them simply due to homeschooling. These issues are rare if you know how to skirt the system, but the fear is always there, and unfortunately, very real.

HSLDA provides advice for dealing with, and intervenes when necessary, with school officials and CPS. They have written official letters confirming our homeschooling status on numerous occasions when such a document was absolutely vital.

It is a sour pill to swallow, but I have come to view HSLDA membership as a necessary evil since I moved here. Those of you who have no fear of being forced to put your kids in school, even daycare in some cases, should count your blessings.

• Like 2

When I began homeschooling, I never considered joining HSLDA. I saw no reason, I followed the law, period, no brainer. I also do not agree with their ideology or politics. I moved to another state with different laws, I educated myself, followed them, still didn't join HSLDA.

Then I moved to an area that is like no man's land for homeschoolers. The laws are fuzzy, schools can use intimidation and unfair testing to force kids into school, parents I know personally have had CPS files opened on them simply due to homeschooling. These issues are rare if you know how to skirt the system, but the fear is always there, and unfortunately, very real.

HSLDA provides advice for dealing with, and intervenes when necessary, with school officials and CPS. They have written official letters confirming our homeschooling status on numerous occasions when such a document was absolutely vital.

It is a sour pill to swallow, but I have come to view HSLDA membership as a necessary evil since I moved here. Those of you who have no fear of being forced to put your kids in school, even daycare in some cases, should count your blessings.

Would you mind sharing where?  I'm always looking for a new place to live and would like to avoid that one!  

Also, I will say that some places require a co-op official card or something from HSLDA as "proof" you are homeschooling in order to get an educator discount.  If you don't live somewhere with an official co-op, then this is one way to save tons on entrance fees to museums, for example.  Unfortunately.

• Like 1

See I imagine I know many members just don't know it. It is not something I've ever talked about anywhere but here. would it come up in normal conversation?

One coop I looked into years ago required HSLDA membership. That was one reason I chose not to join. I've never heard folks in this coop mention belonging to HSLDA even though presumably they do.

THIS THIS THIS.

I read something many years ago about how there WERE a lot of grass-roots homeschooling advocacy groups in sundry states, with lawyers who usually donated their time, or were paid collectively by members. They worked at the local level and then the state level where necessary. but HSLDA Walmarted them, actively working to undermine their membership. So they disappeared. Plus HSLDA was so often at odds with the core tenets of the local groups. People felt like they had to choose sides, etc...So they are both Walmart and Monsanto in my analogy-laden world.

A-yup! When we lived in Mordor, the only hs group in driving distance (and the largest organized group in the state) was *very* pushy about everyone needing to be HSLDA members. Ok, I'll grant that NY is a decidedly UN-homeschool-friendly state. But even there, we found that it wasn't really necessary after all, as long as we knew and followed the law. Here in VA, I haven't met a single hs-er who is a HSLDA member.

• Like 2

I read something many years ago about how there WERE a lot of grass-roots homeschooling advocacy groups in sundry states, with lawyers who usually donated their time, or were paid collectively by members. They worked at the local level and then the state level where necessary. but HSLDA Walmarted them, actively working to undermine their membership. So they disappeared. Plus HSLDA was so often at odds with the core tenets of the local groups. People felt like they had to choose sides, etc...So they are both Walmart and Monsanto in my analogy-laden world.

That sounds a lot like their behavior with other groups now, so I don't doubt this at all.

THIS THIS THIS.

There's no secular group in SC that I know of.

• Like 1

That just makes my head spin!

It would come up in homeschooling conversation. I'm not sure if that's normal or not :-) I'm pretty sure it's a geography thing. I'd love to see a membership map. I live in an urban-ish area and most of my homeschooling connections are with members of secular, inclusive groups. It's really not the HSLDA demographic.

A-yup! When we lived in Mordor, the only hs group in driving distance (and the largest organized group in the state) was *very* pushy about everyone needing to be HSLDA members. Ok, I'll grant that NY is a decidedly UN-homeschool-friendly state. But even there, we found that it wasn't really necessary after all, as long as we knew and followed the law. Here in VA, I haven't met a single hs-er who is a HSLDA member.

She said she lived in Mordor!! LOL!!!

• Like 3

We are HSLDA members, and when we first started homeschooling they helped me with some crap my school district tried to push on me.  I knew I was right and operating within the law, but it was nice to hand it over to them and have them handle it.  Handle it they did, and I wasn't bothered again. 

That said, it's important to remember that they are not primarily a homeschooling group; homeschooling and homeschool law is incidental to what they do.  First and foremost, they are a conservative Christian advocacy group.  If some homeschooling issue doesn't fit with their primary mission or is contrary to their primary mission, they won't handle it.  How they came to be the voice of homeschoolers is detailed very nicely in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BV2O7K0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

In a nutshell, the book sums up HSLDA's dominant voice on homeschooling matters as follows:  The Christian right, because they were more comfortable with hierarchy and structure, was more easily able to organize into an effective and unified voice for homeschooling while other loosely-organized groups bickered over goals, leadership, and methods of advocacy.  So the Christian right seized the void and made their voices heard.  The book is a bit dated, but it seems that this is still the case today and is probably the reason they remain the face and voice of homeschoolers in front of the public.

• Like 1

How have I never heard of this book before? 

After reading the KonMari thread, I am half way through the book and debating if I need to add this to my Amazon shopping cart.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

We are HSLDA members, and when we first started homeschooling they helped me with some crap my school district tried to push on me.  I knew I was right and operating within the law, but it was nice to hand it over to them and have them handle it.  Handle it they did, and I wasn't bothered again. 

That said, it's important to remember that they are not primarily a homeschooling group; homeschooling and homeschool law is incidental to what they do.  First and foremost, they are a conservative Christian advocacy group.  If some homeschooling issue doesn't fit with their primary mission or is contrary to their primary mission, they won't handle it.  How they came to be the voice of homeschoolers is detailed very nicely in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BV2O7K0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

In a nutshell, the book sums up HSLDA's dominant voice on homeschooling matters as follows:  The Christian right, because they were more comfortable with hierarchy and structure, was more easily able to organize into an effective and unified voice for homeschooling while other loosely-organized groups bickered over goals, leadership, and methods of advocacy.  So the Christian right seized the void and made their voices heard.  The book is a bit dated, but it seems that this is still the case today and is probably the reason they remain the face and voice of homeschoolers in front of the public.

That said, it's important to remember that they are not primarily a homeschooling group; homeschooling and homeschool law is incidental to what they do. 

Which would be neat-o if their very name wasn't homeschooling legal defense....!

Thy could rebrand as Christian-Right-Coalescing-Taskforce or something if they wanted ANYONE to remember that their primary objectives aren't dealing homeschool law.

She said she lived in Mordor!! LOL!!!

Why, yes. And so I did! I *hated* living in NY, in a small town with small-minded people. When we finally moved to VA, dh jokingly referred to our old NY town as "the place which shall not be named." I suggested that we call it Mordor, as that town is as different to our current home as Mordor is to the Shire! The names stuck, as did some other analogous character names. (I still call some of dh's highly corrupt former co-workers the Nazgul.) While we were living in NY, we added a couple of dogs to our pack, both of whom have hobbit names.

So that's my story. How goofy and nerdy do I look now?

• Like 6