Menu

Animal farming and vegetarianism... thoughts

BMW

So, my 18yodd comes in from college today and hands me a booklet on animal cruelty and unsanitary practices in animal harvesting places...

I do really like meat. I buy it regularly. I don't think I should have to apologize for eating meat.

Reading the booklet, I would like to believe that somewhere out there in America there are animal warehouses that give animals space to exist better and keep their places, well, somewhat sanitary... animal processing and what animals go through does disturb me - to the point that I'd like to believe it could be improved on, but not to the point that I would stop eating meat...

Like chickens... my grandparents and great aunts and uncles raised and processed chickens. I remember my grandpa's chopping block and grandma preparing the chicken for dinner. I don't think that is horrible, I think it is life...

But, there also seems to be a point about how far it goes today - crowding of cages, range free, processing plants, etc. etc. Also, how cattle and dairy cows are treated.

I know I could look for range free products. I know there are places to buy more naturally raised beef. But, really, does it matter at the end of the day if I got my meat at a good price at the market?

And if I were interested in giving up meat... I don't know how in the world I could afford to feed 11 of us every day... and I'd have no idea what to fix more than half the time.

What are your thoughts??

Bee

I just bought part of a cow, it is actually cheaper to buy parts of cow rather than buy it in individual cuts at grocery.

It is around $4 or so a lb and you get ALL the cuts, so tenderloin AND chuck, ground AND ribeye. They cut it all up into steaks or roasts or whatever you want.

So, you can search "grass fed beef" and your area and often find it.

Bee, I won't speak to the ethics of your quandry but I will say that eating a veg*n (whether vegetarian OR vegan) diet can be quite the affordable experience! I don't purchase meat for our family, however I do purchase and prepare it for our pets. When we acquired these pets, I was in shock at how much meat cost and wondered how so many families could afford it for their humans! I didn't grow up eating it, myself.

It might definitely be an adjustment to the palate (sp?) and definitely doesn't have to start off as an all-or-nothing change. Even replacing one meal or one day's worth of meals a week would be a good way to try out new recipes and introduce new dishes. Many family favorites can be adapted relatively easily. Also, think ethnic! This way, even if you don't commit to giving up your meat ... you've still broadened your culinary horizons, and can show your daughter that even though you fall on different ends of the spectrum on this issue, you take to heart the issues that are important to her.

I second the recommendation for AVM. The truth is, there are farms out there who raise animals ethically. And you will feel better about what you are feeding your family because of them.

The only part where I deviate from local food is true, grass grown buffalo meat. We buy a giant box of that every other month from a fantastic man who wrote a book I loved which shocked me, Buffalo for the Broken Heart.

We don't do cow in our family but we do eat ethically raised buffalo!

Jen

It matters to me that I'm not part of the consumer group that ignores animal cruelty. To add to that I believe that eating meat from animals that have not been given routine antibiotics/growth hormones/unnatural food is healthier for my family.

We have not given up meat. Trust me we have a tight budget. So, we purchase a whole steer every year from a local rancher. If I added all the meat I purchased at the grocery store throughout the year it would be more than what I spend in one chunk for the steer which lasts all year. I also buy chicken through a meat co-op my friend runs. The prices are just about the same for chicken in the store.

To make this meat last...we eat small portions of meat. I alternate with veg meals and fish as well.

As for eggs....I'd love to have a few chickens of my own for eggs. I'm not ready to go there yet. I think I should wait until I adjust to having three kids first.

I would love to go to totally local meat, but DH isn't quite as sold on it as I am. (He likes the idea, but he also likes to save money.) Since DH does the cooking and shopping, we are taking things slower than I would ideally like.

Right now, we have a meat and vegetable CSA share from a local farm. It's only a small portion of our total meat consumption, but it's a start.

I raise most of our meat (which I know lots of people can't do) and buy the rest of farmers that I know raise them well. I believe in supporting small farmers as much as possible. I want animals raised without hormones. I want to know that the processing facilities are well run.

If I couldn't find meat like that, I would be a vegetarian. I don't think it's any more expensive and with lots of beans, it could be cheaper than eating meat.

Bee, I won't speak to the ethics of your quandry but I will say that eating a veg*n (whether vegetarian OR vegan) diet can be quite the affordable experience! I don't purchase meat for our family, however I do purchase and prepare it for our pets. When we acquired these pets, I was in shock at how much meat cost and wondered how so many families could afford it for their humans! I didn't grow up eating it, myself.

It might definitely be an adjustment to the palate (sp?) and definitely doesn't have to start off as an all-or-nothing change. Even replacing one meal or one day's worth of meals a week would be a good way to try out new recipes and introduce new dishes. Many family favorites can be adapted relatively easily. Also, think ethnic! This way, even if you don't commit to giving up your meat ... you've still broadened your culinary horizons, and can show your daughter that even though you fall on different ends of the spectrum on this issue, you take to heart the issues that are important to her.

I agree with the last portion, it might be a nice little change to try the other end, and take to heart her issue. It is nice to see them fired up and care for a cause.

We live in a regional town, so don't have the same options we did when we lived in the city. I'm not willing to give up meat, but we do buy the free range chicken and ham; and organic eggs. We used to be able to get affordable organic meat in the city, but it's about 3 times the price now, so not a chance! We avoid veal, grain fed beef, turkey and farmed fish for ethical reasons. No one can make 100% ethical decisions all the time, but you can make better or worse choices. Everyone has to find their own balance between ethics, energy and economy.

:)

Rosie

I definitely think it does matter whether we shop our conscience, but I recognise that different individuals' consciences lead them to different choices. I am more concerned about chemical additives in my meat, but we are in a situation where we can raise much of our own or buy it from friends whose farms we visit regularly.

One fact that few vegetarians take into consideration is the number of small mammals, reptiles and insects that are killed whenever ground is plowed for growing vegetables. Many more are decimated by commercial farmers who cannot afford their predation on the crops. The only way you can be absolutely sure of what you are eating and how it is grown is to do all of that yourself. I remember many times nursing injured baby rabbits back to health and then releasing them back in to the wild when my father brought them in from a busted nest. Most farmers without animal lover dds just left the bunnies for predators to eat or killed them to put them out of their misery.

I think ethics and good animal treatment are important. My body just cannot do vegan, or even ovolactovegetarian since I'm allergic to and sensitive too many legumes, some nuts (anaphylactic to almonds now, even), don't absorb non-heme iron, am allergic to things like Brewer's yeast, have many food sensitivities (including eggs), etc, etc. I do what I can within my means. I hope that if they don't feed the animals antibiotics they're at least less crowded, etc than the ones that are fed them. I'd love to find grass fed beef as soon as I can afford to buy that much beef at once and have enough freezer space.

My take on all these types if issues are that I do the best I can with the limited resources I can. While I hate the practices, I'm not going to allow myself to waste away over it (I did try life without meat once.)

But boy, would my wallet love it if I could be vegan.

I am vegetarian, and raising my daughter vegetarian. When it comes right down to it, I don't see how anyone can ethically eat meat--I don't want to be jumped on for that, that is my opinion--I do not try to force it on others, I do not state it when people eat meat in front of me, but, when it comes right down to it, we do not need meat in our diet, it is much healthier not to have it (you should look up the number of brain and heart diseases you cannot get if you have never eaten meat, as well as cancers, including one of the main breast cancers), and it is cruel to animals. Yes, most meat comes from animals that are treated horrifically from day one--so what if they were bred for it--I hate that argument! Would breeding a human for mistreatment be alright? Of course not--same for animals! And, even if it was range free, so what? It is going to die and be fed to someone--what kind of life is that?

If you want to look at it honestly--meat is the murder of animals, plain and simple, and you should be able to face that if you are going to eat them. If you can't ethically live with that, don't eat meat. If you can, be honest with yourself about it. Don't try to disguise it, or call it something else. Should you try to buy from people who are more humane in their practices towards animals? Of course! But it is still meat.

If you want to never eat meat again, go to PETA--they make me never want to go through a grocery store again, for as long as I live, and I was raised vegetarian. But they really get the truth about companies, and what some do is so atrocious, you wouldn't believe it. I recently found out about KFC, working with suppliers that pump their chickens so full of hormones that they grow so big their legs break under them; that they cut off baby birds beaks with no painkillers; drop live chickens into scalding water while they are alive, plus more. M&M's creates their red color by using the bodies of insects, that they grind up and put in the candy!! (that one really got me--I have a total bug phobia), and Mars Candy (M&M's, Snickers, 3 Musketers, etc.) does horrible animal testing.

This link challenges you to try being veg for 30 days:

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/30_day_veg_pledge?qp_source=vegpledgegen

They give you info on being vegetarian, and, sometimes, people do go overboard when they try, especially if they try vegan. They don't just cut out meat, they seem to cut out everything--sort of like you said; you can't think of what to eat. They try too hard, and find it impossible. I eat everything you eat, without the meat. But I eat tofu, soy products, imitation meats, lots of ethnic foods, Indian food, Chinese, Morrocan, etc. Lots of salads as whole meals, but I adore salad.

I'd be more than happy to help you in anyway I can--meal suggestions, recipes, whatever, if you decide to do this. If not, that is your choice. I may sound pushy, but I'm not really trying to be. I feel everyone should be well informed, & I'm happy to help you get there, but the choice is yours--it is not for everyone. I wish it were--I wish the whole world were vegetarian. But I know that won't be. All I can do is offer help to anyone who may want it.

Whatever you decide, do it with your eyes open, and make your peace with it. Good luck.

Bee, I won't speak to the ethics of your quandry but I will say that eating a veg*n (whether vegetarian OR vegan) diet can be quite the affordable experience!

Yep. We've been vegetarian/vegan for years now, and I don't spend any more on groceries than anyone else I know. In fact, I can spend a whole lot less when I have to do so.

The only thing that drives up the cost of eating veg for some folks is if they buy a lot of prepared or specialty foods. If you just concentrate on eating low on the food chain and cooking from scratch (or at least minimally processed), it's really a very inexpensive and healthy way to shop and eat.

So, my 18yodd comes in from college today and hands me a booklet on animal cruelty and unsanitary practices in animal harvesting places...

I do really like meat. I buy it regularly. I don't think I should have to apologize for eating meat.

Reading the booklet, I would like to believe that somewhere out there in America there are animal warehouses that give animals space to exist better and keep their places, well, somewhat sanitary... animal processing and what animals go through does disturb me - to the point that I'd like to believe it could be improved on, but not to the point that I would stop eating meat...

Like chickens... my grandparents and great aunts and uncles raised and processed chickens. I remember my grandpa's chopping block and grandma preparing the chicken for dinner. I don't think that is horrible, I think it is life...

But, there also seems to be a point about how far it goes today - crowding of cages, range free, processing plants, etc. etc. Also, how cattle and dairy cows are treated.

I know I could look for range free products. I know there are places to buy more naturally raised beef. But, really, does it matter at the end of the day if I got my meat at a good price at the market?

And if I were interested in giving up meat... I don't know how in the world I could afford to feed 11 of us every day... and I'd have no idea what to fix more than half the time.

What are your thoughts??

Bee

I think it does matter. I think it does matter how we live our lives, how we walk upon the earth. I think it does matter whether we treat animals as mere objects for our use, arrogantly thinking we humans are so superior to every other critter, or whether we respect them as fellow beings with a place of dignity on the planet. And I dont think the planet will become a place of peace, love and prosperity, if it ever will, until we can see ourselves as guardians and gardeners of the planet, rather than mere users.

I have been vegetarian on and off for years, and my dh is vegetarian, but presently I am not, due to the fact I do not easily assimilate iron and get very run down on vegetarian protein sources alone. I also enjoy the taste of meat. It doesnt mean I don't care, or that I am not conscious. There is a whole world of difference between mindlessly eating meat and not caring about the terrible suffering of the animal that was not treated with some dignity before it landed on your plate, and being aware of the whole process and buying and choosing where to put my money. Here in Australia cows and sheep are generally brought up on open pasture, however their treatment is not always humane- we have sheep ships which take our live sheep to the Middle East, and many die on the way, in great pain.

If you have ever had a pet, you know animals do have feelings, and can feel pain. Is that any less than our pain?

I think it makes your heart break if you let it break, when you realise how cruel we humans are to the other creatures we share our planet with. There are ways of raising animals for meat that are relatively humane. If we always put economy first, its very sad, but thats the world we live in.

I dont think anyone should feel guilty, particularly if they can't afford organic, humanely raised meat where the animal at least had a decent life before it was killed- I dont want to be hypocritical, I don't always buy organic meat . But I do think more awareness is always a good thing, and I personally cant understand the mentality that says I just dont care that they were treated cruelly before I eat them.

But then, there are so many issues like this in our world nowadays, I guess I can understand that people dont want to know, and to just get on with their lives, because its too overhelming to really be conscious of the horror that we support with our money.

But, really, does it matter at the end of the day if I got my meat at a good price at the market?

It depends on what your priorities are. I am vegan. Obviously, to me, it does matter. To me, every dollar spent on factory farmed animal products is a vote to continue these horrible practices.

Animal flesh is very expensive. Beans and grains are much cheaper. I'm sure your food bill would go down if you cut out animal flesh. As for what you would eat ... well, we eat the same things everyone else does, minus the animal products. We eat burritos and tacos and stir fries and spaghetti and Indian food and casseroles and soups and rices dishes and pancakes and sandwiches and hot cereals and stews and ... In fact, I think we eat a wider and more varied diet as vegans than we did as vegetarians because we don't rely on the "old stand-bys" as much.

I know that you said you are not interested in giving up animal flesh. Are you interested in reducing your consumption of it? If so, go to the library and check out a few vegetarian cookbooks. You will get lots of ideas. You could reduce your consumption of animal flesh, which reduces animal suffering.

Best wishes.

Tara

Here in Australia cows and sheep are generally brought up on open pasture, however their treatment is not always humane- we have sheep ships which take our live sheep to the Middle East, and many die on the way, in great pain.

Several of the main grocery stores here don't even carry local meat, it's all from New Zealand or Australia. I have never understood that. We usually go out of our way to go to a store that carries local meat, but the cost is quite a bit higher. Now that you've posted this, it makes me even less interested in buying imported meat, even though it's more convenient and cheaper.

Luckily chickens are locally raised and therefore easier to buy. I have also noticed, as I commented in the recipe thread, that the chickens here are tiny compared to the chickens you get in larger grocery stores in the States. My dd (3) will eat three chicken legs here for dinner, but can only manage one (or part of one) when we're eating in America.

I don't really have a problem eating meat, although I try to get local meat and if I had the option to guarantee well-raised cattle I would do that as well. Several times dh has slaughtered our meat himself (religious customs), which horrified my parents, but I told them, isn't that what happens anyway? We seem to have distanced ourselves from the entire process.

I have toured many animal processing plants, including Gold-N-Plump (here in MN) and I've been through the stockyards in South St. Paul where Long Prairie Packing does kosher slaughter (though most consumers do not realize the meat they purchase was slaughtered in that fashion). It is difficult to watch kosher slaughter. The animal is not stunned, just has it's throat slit by a Rabbi. Once the carcasses are skinned and gutted, the Rabbis mark the "approved" ones with a Hebrew symbol on the ribcage, but the USDA inspector has the final say on what goes to market and what does not. So there are many cows that were kosher slaughtered and passed by the USDA, but not by the Rabbit for whatever reason. I asked what the criteria of the Rabbi was but even the USDA guy did not understand it.

The processing plants I have been in were well run and clean as you can be for what they were doing, IYKWIM.

As for the farms, I have been on some fantastic, clean, well organized farms where the animals are treated better than the humans living in the farmhouse, and I've been on some pretty disgustingly dirty farms that are constantly battling things like cryptosporidia, E. coli, and salmonella. Unfortunately if either of those farms sell at sale barns, the meat all gets mixed together when the group goes to slaughter.

I do know there are independent farmers who sell directly from their farm. I am thinking about getting a freezer and buying registered angus directly from the farm next year. Even the independents will use antibiotics occassionally if they are treating an illness, so there is no guarantee that the meat you get will be totally drug free, but they do have to follow federal meat withdrawal guidelines for the drugs they use. Steroid implants are another issue and it really depends on the farm.

Knowing where your food comes from and how it gets to your dinner plate is a great lesson for not only your dc but for your whole family!

I'm not a vegetarian, but we don't eat meat every day. The days on which we don't eat meat, our meals are cheaper than the meat days. For example:

Celery stew made with quinoa, a fresh veg and a fruit

or

Dhal (lentils with onion, cumin and coriander) with brown rice, a fresh veg and a fruit

Best wishes

Laura

One fact that few vegetarians take into consideration is the number of small mammals, reptiles and insects that are killed whenever ground is plowed for growing vegetables.

I don't think that's true at all, and it sounds to me like the things people say to try to trip up veg*ns and point out where they are not perfect.

I think that veg*ns, on the whole, are much more aware of that fact than are those who consume animal flesh out of habit and rarely, if ever, give it any thought.

I know that I am not perfect. I am not going for perfection. I am aiming to reduce animal suffering. If someone consumes animal flesh and vegetables/grains, more animals are harmed than if someone does not consume animal flesh. We do the best we can.

Tara

First off, I have done my research. I am VERY against inhumane animal practices and cannot STAND the way animal processing is done in this country. I think the laws should be very strict and VERY enforced. I believe that animals should be allowed space to move/graze/nurse their young/do all that is natural. I think the commercial dairy industry is often just as bad (if not worse) with their treatment because of the hormones, antibiotics, removing the young from their mothers, etc. And don't get me started on veal! Really, the words factory and farmed existing in the same sentence should be enough for most of us to realize that it can't be a good thing!

However, I don't believe the suggestion to check out PETA for info is a good one. PETA seeks out the worst extremes and exaggerate them for their own agenda. I think PETA does some great things, but they ARE extremists for their cause, and extremists are not the folks you go to for unbiased information. There are many sites regarding factory farming (most fairly disgusting and hard to stomach the practices there).

Secondly, I will state that I am NOT a vegetarian. I have been there/done that and I can't say I won't go back there, but, right now, we are eating meat. We buy beef that is raised by my sister and her husband, pork that is grass-fed and free-ranging (when we buy pork - rarely), and only drug-free, cage-free chicken. My husband also hunts (deer) and we eat either wild caught fish or fresh fish when available. I don't believe I could ever go vegan, nor do I believe it is a healthy diet for life.

I believe we ARE physically designed to eat meat if we so choose. I believe that in the Bible, God told us what to eat and meat was included. There are also specific verses talking about us being giving milk (goats' milk in particular) for our food. Do I think most people eat too much of it? Absolutely. However, I do believe meat/animal products offer nutrients unattainable from any other source.

I'd encourage anyone who is against meat/animal products to read Weston Price's information (sorry I don't have the link). It is some really good information, and very detailed, about the benefits of a diet consisting of animal foods (of course they recommend NATURAL processes - NOT factory farmed animals).

And as far as animals being humanely killed for food (and I do believe there are humane ways to do it), if we didn't eat at least some of the animals, they would become a horrible nuisance and die of starvation, die on the highways, etc. As it is now as deer overpopulate an area and start to move inland for food, they get hit. If there was never deer hunting, they'd be eating out of your garbage. It's not like they're gonna practice birth control. Okay, that was a ramble, but still true.

I guess what we have to realize is that it's all about the mighty dollar. The FDA and the USDA DO NOT CARE how things are treated, nor what damaging drugs are in our food supply. There are beef/dairy lobbies out there and they are lining the pockets of politicians. Things will NEVER change unless we demand they do. NOT supporting these practices are, IMO, the ONLY chance I have of standing up against the practices I find horrifying.

I don't think that's true at all, and it sounds to me like the things people say to try to trip up veg*ns and point out where they are not perfect.

I think that veg*ns, on the whole, are much more aware of that fact than are those who consume animal flesh out of habit and rarely, if ever, give it any thought.

I know that I am not perfect. I am not going for perfection. I am aiming to reduce animal suffering. If someone consumes animal flesh and vegetables/grains, more animals are harmed than if someone does not consume animal flesh. We do the best we can.

Tara

Thanks for saying this, Tara. I'm in the same boat.

And, by the way, something that an onmivore who uses the above argument must be ignoring is that all those animals raised for their meat are fed . . . vegetables and grains. Which have to be cultivated in fields that are plowed.

Thanks to all of you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I like to hear all the sides and pov's, it gives me a lot to think about. I actually do have some vegetarian cook books (Moosewood ones are terrific!!) and I am motivated to branch out a little. I really like the encouragement to take it a step at a time, to make changes here and there... if I tried to make a huge change all of a sudden, it would't last...

But I still struggle with prices... for example, the meal suggestion with salad and fruit and beans... I really cannot afford to purchase the amount of fruit to include it in a meal regularly for 11 of us! Think about it with me... 11 apples a day, 11 oranges a day, how many pounds of grapes a day... if you multiply that out weekly and monthly, that's just more than I can afford! Now I know we might not all eat an apple, an orange and a cup of grapes every day, but, really, to give us servings regularly for this many people - yikes! I guess it's one of those gradual things...

I think that I would still have some meat for meals, though. Because I do believe that it is ethically okay to process animals for consumption, based on teachings of the Bible, but I agree that they should be free range, nurse their young, and the whole process should be as sanitary and responsible as possible... But what I can do is start looking for options and not give my dollars to the companies that just don't care about how horrible their practices are... I can do that!

Prices definitely add up; I grew up one of many, so I empathize with the challenge of feeding a large family!

Long-term solutions would be, obviously, to grow your own! It might only be enough to supplement, but it helps. Even something as easy as bell peppers or tomatoes or spinach/lettuce would be a good start. I'm not sure where you live, but co-ops are another option. We used to pay $x for a surprise box of whatever happened to be in season, which always amounted to less than we would spend at market.

Also, don't underestimate the power of establishing a relationship with your local grower OR local farmer's market owner. Often times mine will give me great discounts from time to time; this is also helpful to him. I freeze a lot, so I get his stuff that won't otherwise be moved before it 'expires'. I use a lot of this for baking, or (well, truthfully - frozen grapes and other small fruit taste great as a snack as-is!) other non "here it is, eat it as it comes" kind of meals. Investing in a juicer or Vita-Mix would be a good investment, too. You could buy (and freeze) in-season fruits to later use in a morning smoothie. I do this but make it into popsicle molds for my younger ones who will eat anything they think is ice cream! Naturally this isn't an immediate solution to your situation, but just food for thought as you forge ahead in implementing change. Our secret growing up was to grow our own, and what we couldn't grow ... to buy in season and freeze or jar.

I think you'll also find that as you add more roughage/bulk to your routine diet, you won't require as many snacks - including fresh fruit. You'll simply feel fuller, longer and/or will adjust to more frequent but smaller meals (rather than snacks). Growing kids, especially boys, are their own unique beast LOL.

Eat to Live is an interesting read. Most libraries have it, and it offers recipes and such that aren't terribly expensive or way out there in terms of ingredients. It does advocate lots of salads (which DO add up quickly), but there are other ideas that IMO make it worth checking out and flipping through.

But I still struggle with prices... for example, the meal suggestion with salad and fruit and beans... I really cannot afford to purchase the amount of fruit to include it in a meal regularly for 11 of us! Think about it with me... 11 apples a day, 11 oranges a day, how many pounds of grapes a day...

But cutting out the meat makes up the balance. For example (budgeting for my family of 4, in the UK):

A head of celery: 50p

A packet of quinoa: 1.54p

An onion: 30p

A packet of green beans 1.29p

Four apples: 90p

So a total of about 4.50p. If I bought enough meat plus starch for four, that would come to about the same: chicken thighs 3.00, corn cobs 1.50...

Best wishes

Laura