Menu

I'm going to IKEA tomorrow ....

milovany

to buy a bunch of stuff for the new Airbnb apartment we're setting up in our rental.  It could be death by decision-making.  My brain might explode.  It won't be pretty but should make the news so if I don't post here again, you'll know why.  "Woman dies in IKEA store after stumbling through the basket section on her way to the checkout stand and making her 857th decision of the day. We'll never know if she chose the Motorp Boxes or the PJÄS Banana Baskets for the shelves she'd selected earlier that day."

• Like 17

Lol. I wish the timing in out house sale were better.

One caution: IKEAis great for case goods but I'm not impressed with their upholstered goods. Don't get a mattress from them.

Lol. I wish the timing in out house sale were better.

One caution: IKEAis great for case goods but I'm not impressed with their upholstered goods. Don't get a mattress from them.

I'm mostly going for 1) kitchen base cabinet / countertop / sink (wait, do they have sinks? Okay, maybe not sink), 2) upper open shelving unit for over kitchen sink and stove, 3) bedding for the bed we already bought, and 4) the million little things I'll see on my way through the store that the studio just has to have, like a few dishes, some silverware, some knives, a measuring cup set, blah blah blah.  The kitchen section will be especially daunting.  (And is any of their food vegan? Wait, we'll Jamba.)

I'm actually scouring the thrifts (are there any good ones near there?), too.  Oh!  There's a good Goodwill in Bellevue not too very far off the beaten path.  Won't it be fun to head into the greater Seattle area at 2pm?  I'm SO smart that way. 

Have fun! We went a few weeks ago to look for a chair but came back with new dishes instead. Plain white dishes--I love 'em.

We went on a Sat and the place was mobbed. Almost worse than going to the GA Aquarium but without the arcade feeling. I would have loved just to sit in the sofa section and watch all the people go by.

Angie, thanks for the Gladys links. Hadn't heard of her before. She's a hoot!

• Like 1

Have fun! We went a few weeks ago to look for a chair but came back with new dishes instead. Plain white dishes--I love 'em.

We went on a Sat and the place was mobbed. Almost worse than going to the GA Aquarium but without the arcade feeling. I would have loved just to sit in the sofa section and watch all the people go by.

Angie, thanks for the Gladys links. Hadn't heard of her before. She's a hoot!

Too funny, b/c we went for some bowls and came home w/ a sofa, love seat and chair! We got the bowls too. They cost 99 cents each (and are white), but my DH calls them "the $1,000 bowls".  :lol:

I'm glad you liked Gladys. I don't know which is funnier: Gladys or Ellen's reactions to her (especially the first call, when Ellen asked her if she'd been on TV before).

• Like 3

Clearly, you know your way around that store, but I can't think of going there w/o thinking of Gladys*. (Watch 2:38-3:45 if you don't know what I mean.) And are you vegan? I missed that. 

Have fun. You can do it!

*ETA: If you haven't heard of Gladys, watch this first.

Gladys is a hoot!  I'm going to have to watch all the youtube clips Ellen had with her.  Thanks for the links.

• Like 1

I'm mostly going for 1) kitchen base cabinet / countertop / sink (wait, do they have sinks? Okay, maybe not sink), 2) upper open shelving unit for over kitchen sink and stove, 3) bedding for the bed we already bought, and 4) the million little things I'll see on my way through the store that the studio just has to have, like a few dishes, some silverware, some knives, a measuring cup set, blah blah blah.  The kitchen section will be especially daunting.  (And is any of their food vegan? Wait, we'll Jamba.)

I'm actually scouring the thrifts (are there any good ones near there?), too.  Oh!  There's a good Goodwill in Bellevue not too very far off the beaten path.  Won't it be fun to head into the greater Seattle area at 2pm?  I'm SO smart that way. 

They have sinks - at least ours does. The kitchen section can take a major portion of your day if you are a kitchen gadget connoisseur.

:lol:

Do NOT forget your list WITH measurements and your bags. Be emotionally prepared for the moment that is "that wasn't in the catalog but I like it better . . . Let me adjust these 4 other decisions to accommodate." I like to go in the morning and eat breakfast. Then I shop, check out, load the car, go back in, and eat lunch. THEN I stop at their store and buy groceries that include something easy to make for dinner, meatball dinner dinner fixings, smoked salmon, Swedish fish, and those cookies with the raspberry filling. I may or may not get ice cream for the road. Last time I bought this lemon garlic sauce in a pouch to bake over their frozen salmon. It was divine. I'm getting three pouches next time.

It's not even 20 miles away. I have a problem.

• Like 4

IKEA does have sinks and everything else you would put in a kitchen.

Is it wrong of me to have on my bucket list a trip to the ikea mothership in Sweden?

If it's wrong, I don't want to be right!

The kitchen choices are dizzying and awesome. Drawers, glorious drawers, drawers within drawers, soft close drawers...

You can use their online kitchen planner at home, but it can be pretty wonky.

• Like 4

Thankfully, the kitchen ("kitchenette" to be more precise) that I'm outfitting has exactly 3 feet exactly of lower counter/cabinet space, so basically one unit in which has to go the small one-bowl sink.  It's filling the upper open shelving *above* the counter that will take me all day.  And vegan meatballs??  Really?  We're not always vegan, just during our Orthodox Lenten fasts, one of which we're in until Friday. 

I'm skipping my noon to 1:00 appointment at the gym so we can go now.  Off we go!

• Like 1

Meh IKEA in Sweden is much the same as anywhere else in the world, only we know what the names mean :D

I live near Philly. So I have been to the South Philly Ikea and the Conshohonken (sp?) Ikea. The Conshohonken Ikea is the model for the rest of the US. It is their store that they test out things in. There is a WORLD of difference between the 2 stores. To the point that I am willing to pay about $3 more in tolls each way just to go to it. 

I want to go to Sweden in general (if I remember right it isn't TOO far from Gothenburg right?) and Norway (where my ancestors came from, the town of Sorum). So this would be just a day stop I figure. :)

• Like 1

Hey, while you're there, could you pick me up about half dozen more little glass cereal bowls? I love those and my kids keep dropping them. And if you can find some good 16 oz. tumblers, get me a dozen of those, too!

I really need to get to IKEA. It's a 3-4 hour drive for me.

The veggie balls were really good! Thanks for that. We're in the checkout line and seemed to have survived. The nice thing about this trip is it was sin esposo (and most kids) ... so I could think and change my mind and talk through things without the "Let's get out of here!" vibe. :D

I live near Philly. So I have been to the South Philly Ikea and the Conshohonken (sp?) Ikea. The Conshohonken Ikea is the model for the rest of the US. It is their store that they test out things in. There is a WORLD of difference between the 2 stores. To the point that I am willing to pay about $3 more in tolls each way just to go to it.

I want to go to Sweden in general (if I remember right it isn't TOO far from Gothenburg right?) and Norway (where my ancestors came from, the town of Sorum). So this would be just a day stop I figure. :)

I'm teasing :) I've been known to go to IKEA to go wander around just for fun.

If you are talking abou Älmhult (birthplace of IKEA) it is about 3 hours from Gothenburgh.

I was at a field trip at my (old) local IKEA trip last year and we got a great talk about how they do different rooms in different stores depending on how people live in that area. In Dalarna where I used to live the rooms are bigger and they do sloping walls/ceilings as people often live in older houses with those features there while in Gothenburgh or Stockholm the stores will feature more compact living rooms. It is a great field trip, if you have one near by it might be worth getting a group together and contacting the store.

• Like 1