Menu

Copying Math from a textbook

We use binders and paper with a dry erase insert.

The pros are that with the dry erase insert they can do and re-do scratch work with little ado and minimal smudging.

They can insert and remove pages at will.

We didn't have to change from they way that we'd been doing math because we used PDF math series for elementary so they were used to having pages of math in a binder that they could remove, write on and put back.

They also use notebooks because we have multiple math books going at once, but their core math work is done in a binder. Its easy to remove and reorganize the work as needed.

What's a quad book?

We use regular spiral bound notebooks. He used around 1.5 for half his algebra text last year.

For graphing he uses graph paper and cuts out his work and tapes it into his notebook. This year I bought a bound graph paper notebook which will hopefully simplify the process--IF he can accept having his work in two places. Doubtful. ;)

• Like 1

I like notebooks. Quads can be a little difficult to read--if you can find one with lighter colored lines they would be ideal. We used to use engineering pads for problems sets in college and they were great--the graph is on the back of the paper--you can see it well enough to line things up or draw graphs neatly, but you can still see your own writing clearly. But they were just paper pads--I would prefer a bound notebook.

Dd was required to use a binder for her public school math class this year which has some advantages, but she was just saying that she hopes her next teacher doesn't require it because she prefers to write in a notebook. For either, we keep loose leaf graph paper around and cut and paste when needed for graphing problems. Or with the binder there were a few homework assignments where there was enough graphing to just insert a whole page of graph paper. A Mead Five Star single subject notebook lasts about a semester around here for Algebra 1 and beyond.

Comp books.

Ds writes the answers neatly (or he aspires to it) on the front of the pages (or on the right hand side page, to put it another way). And on the back (or the left) he can use that as scratch paper.

I don't think it's so much about pros and cons... Different kids will gravitate to different methods. This one works well for ds.

My boys use filler paper, spiral notebooks and binders.  We bring the spiral notebooks out when we do work at the library. When we get home, we just tear and file in the binders. My kids doesn't like the spiral wires of the spiral notebooks which is why we use binders.  They keep their composition books for sketching/doodling.

My kids use an average of a sheet/page per question so a 70 page wide or college ruled spiral notebook would last a week or two. 

We print graph paper as needed.  There are templates on the internet.

I print out worksheets for our math program, but ds copies the problems into a spiral and shows his work to solve, then writes the answer on the worksheet. The worksheets go back into his binder and the spiral notebook stays intact. This is our first year using a spiral and it's working very well so far. In the past we used loose-leaf graph paper which was always getting mixed up.

Shannon used quad, bound composition style books. Office Depot was having a sale yesterday so I stocked up on a bunch of them for $1 each. They look plenty sturdy and it's a much better price than any I've found online.  I never really got into "back to school" sales before, but I went nuts yesterday and got a bunch of cool stuff! It's so cheap!

• Like 1

Last year my DD used a spiral notebook with 8.5 x 11 pages (instead of 8 x 10.5).

I like the larger size because there was enough room to work two columns.

She was able to do about a sixth of the book (prealgebra) in one 150 page notebook.

If DD had trouble lining up numbers, I would have gone with a quad notebook.

This year, I am trying something new. I am making custom notebooks for her

with a proclick spine, a rigid cover with pretty scrapbooking paper, and 8.5 x 11 college rule paper.

The proclick spine has the advantages of a spiral (fold in half, slim profile).

It also has the advantages of a binder (add/remove pages, label the spine).

The rigid cover is super pretty.

The cover also keeps the notebook from being floppy, so it is easier to use on the sofa or in the car.

The larger paper size will allow her to work in two columns, thus needing less paper.

I can bind the notebook on the left, right, or top. (DD is a lefty.)

Can you tell that I'm really excited about these new notebooks!

Please share what you use once students transition from a workbook to copying Math from the textbook.

Notebooks? Which ones?

Binder & paper?

Or something else?

What are the pros & cons to your method?

Thanks.

looseleaf notebook paper. It's the easiest to use, IMHO. I would not have imagined that there were actually pros and cons. :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of pads of quadrille graph paper. Once we go over the problems the sheets are tossed.

I've not found that they go back in their books to review so there wasn't a value for keeping them.

On the other hand I often work through the same lessons in a spiral notebook. I will often circle what I want to include on the test for that section. (We use AOPS and Dolciani, which don't have pre written tests.)