Menu

Birthday gift for 3 yr old girl?

ExcitedMama

I can't seem to find anything that seems to be great for DD's 3rd birthday. It seems so much harder to shop for girls! We have dress up clothes, puzzles, blocks, magnatiles, Rody, games, kitchen, play food, duplos, little people, dolls, etc. It seems like we already have so much of the toys out there that I'm not sure what to get. Any ideas?

• Like 1

I can't seem to find anything that seems to be great for DD's 3rd birthday. It seems so much harder to shop for girls! We have dress up clothes, puzzles, blocks, magnatiles, Rody, games, kitchen, play food, duplos, little people, dolls, etc. It seems like we already have so much of the toys out there that I'm not sure what to get. Any ideas?

How could that be the case? A toy is a toy.

With that said, if you have all this stuff, why not get her a new book? There's always new books that you haven't read yet. Or how about some craft supplies? When my kids were three, they could always use more construction paper and crayons.

• Like 1

washable markers (on sale with school supplies)

play-doh or model magic (if you're brave :) )

just about anything from Melissa and Doug -- Let me know if you want specific recommendations

Lincoln Logs

Tinker Toys

I have 5 girls in a row, so buying birthday/Christmas gifts for the littlest one is extremely difficult.  We have so.many.toys.

• Like 1

My daughter just turned three.  She got a lot of stuff Peter Rabbit stuffed animals.

On my list I had, dress up wings from Magic Cabin, Schleich figures, waldorf playstand with canopy, Grimm's large wooden rainbow.  We didn't get any of those because we don't have a lot of extra money at the moment.  Husband is going to Moscow in a month.

• Like 2

One of those pop-up tent things that fits over the twin bed?  My girls loved theirs.

Or an outdoor riding toy?

My youngest dd LOVED building "castles" around herself with those large cardboard bricks (they come flat and you have to fold them into bricks). 

Honestly, at that age my dd loved dress up, play silks, wings, Melissa and Doug kitchen sets, schleich figures and anything miniature. Little dolls and the like.

But by far the best gift she recieved at age 3 was a ream of printer paper and a basket of new pens and markers. Seriously, that paper was the hugest hit. She still remembers it and asks for it every birthday and Christmas:)

• Like 4

At that age I got my dd a doll house and every birthday and Christmas we added to it. 

We do this, too.  Dd12 and dd10 got a doll house when they were 3 and 1 (iirc).  My girls still play with that dollhouse almost every day.

eta:  Dd12 doesn't still play with the dollhouse; she would be appalled if anyone thought so.  :)

Honestly, at that age my dd loved dress up, play silks, wings, Melissa and Doug kitchen sets, schleich figures and anything miniature. Little dolls and the like.

But by far the best gift she recieved at age 3 was a ream of printer paper and a basket of new pens and markers. Seriously, that paper was the hugest hit. She still remembers it and asks for it every birthday and Christmas:)

My little ones use a lot of printer paper.  It's one of their favorite things ever.

• Like 1

DS liked the Melissa and Doug wooden food to cut up at that age. It's fun to feed it to the stuffed animals, play restaurant, etc. But it sounds like you have that sort of thing already. (How about an apron? A broom?)

The past few years, though, we've given him on each birthday a book and a note welcoming him to Mommy and Daddy's Book of the Month Club. We put a sticker on the same day of each month on the calendar, and he gets a new book that day all year.

I think you are confounding shopping for a second child, with shopping for girls. Girls are easy to shop for--they can play with anything!

The second child, however, seems doomed to have toys that nobody got the first time around for whatever reason, LOL!

• Lego kits
  • Roll of butcher paper with markers
  • A face-paint kit (my kids both love this)
  • With little girls, sparkly non-toxic nail "polish" is such an easy win that you don't get with many boys.
  • A toy cash register. (This one is missing some coins but it makes SUCH satisfying clicks--it has been the favorite of every child coming to our house! https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/168726268/vintage-fisher-price-cash-register-70s)You can just feel it go "kaCHUNK" when you push the button to enter the coin. That feeling is like crack to three year olds.
  • A scooter
  • A ladybug tent from Ikea, her very own little tent
  • A tiny desk of her own with her name label on it :)
  • Like 2

Our girls have a playsilk that is tattered at this point from so much play.  Silk is light and airy; can be thrown/caught, tied into a hobo sack on a stick, turned into a hammock for a baby doll, used as a landscape for small toys, worn as a headscarf, tied into a baby sling or a skirt...the list goes on.  Very open-ended toy!  Fits in a pocket.  We always pack it along on car trips for the backseat.  Perfect for a 3yo.  My 3yo loves to wash it in a small tub with mild soap and hang it out to dry.  

Don't know the setting where you live, but another hit here has been kids' garden tools: rake, shovel, hoe, etc.  Small gardening gloves, a kid-sized wheelbarrow (made by Red Flyer?)  Also gave a kid-sized set: broom, mop, and cleaning kit (rags, spray bottles with natural homemade cleaner so I didn't have to worry about toxicity.)  They can pitch in and truly work/play and contribute to the family activities/chores with tools that are their size.  

Another hit has been a simple swing made of a 2x4 and some rope.  They play on it daily.  You could gift it with some paints and brushes and help them decorate it/seal it with deck sealer or clear finish.  

Have fun!

• Like 1

Those are not gifts for ones own child, those are gifts for the child of somebody one hates. Or possible for a child of deaf adults.

My relatives learned early on that if they gave my dc loud/annoying gifts, those toys stayed at the gift-givers' house for when we came to visit. :)

Problem solved.

Then I had to lay down the "no-more-stuffies" rule.

• Like 3

My relatives learned early on that if they gave my dc loud/annoying gifts, those toys stayed at the gift-givers' house for when we came to visit. :)

Problem solved.

Then I had to lay down the "no-more-stuffies" rule.

That is precisely what we do.

We don't have a no-more-stuffies rule. We just have one stuffy box and if it doesn't fit it doesn't go in, so there's a natural weeding out there. Still have too many stuffs.

• Like 1

Honestly, the girls I know all seem to be more appreciative of art supplies than the boys. Not all girls all the time, but it is a trend. So cheap. So easy. I don't know if it's cultural or biological (boys certainly develop on a different timeline though I know plenty of very artistic men, so sexy :D ). But it does seem to be a thing.

Me as a girl: colors, paper, Lego, a bike, I'm good.

My girls: more or less the same thing.

• Like 1