Menu

I am so upset

AimeeM

We're supposed to leave for FL tomorrow. We were going to drive to GA, pick up my youngest sister and her son, stay the night, and hit FL on Friday.

Yesterday we get a notice in the mail telling us that there's a serious recall on my SUV - an airbag malfunction (of the "combust without impact and send metal shards flying" variety). We call our local dealership, as instructed. They told us they would order the part, get us in tomorrow, and it would only take an hour or two to fix.

Today I call back to the recall center and learn that the recall has affected so many vehicles there is a backorder on the part and no ETA for the part. There's nothing she can do. 

I call Toyota corporate, as instructed by our local dealership to do, and I'm told that they have a loaner program. They only offer $35/day towards a loaner, but whatever - we'll pay the rest OOP. Well, assuming we're only talking a couple hundred OOP.

Problem? There are no loaners available so last minute that are of comparable size. NONE, nowhere in the area. We need a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle.

I am so upset and so disappointed. My grandparents have never had all 7 of their children, most of their grandchildren, and most of their great-grandchildren together before this celebration. The only good news here is that our arrival was supposed to be a surprise, so they won't be upset.

:(

Honestly, I'd take my van on vacation and get it fixed when I return. I wouldn't worry. It isn't like they are blowing up left and right or it would be in the news. Ymmv.

• Like 47

I'm not willing to take the risk. My airbag light HAS been coming on randomly. Our mechanic (who didn't know about the recall) couldn't find any reason, we hadn't received the recall notice yet, so I brushed it aside. 

When I called the dealership, they said that the problem occurs when moisture gets into the area affected, and that driving down to FL would be very ill advised because of that (the humidity as compared to here, I would assume). 

Apparently the problem has caused around 7 deaths and over 100 injuries. Paranoid or not, I'm not taking that risk with my children, nephew, and pregnant sister in the car.

• Like 3

I'm sorry. :(

What about taking a flight to GA and getting a rental car there? Or maybe a short train trip to the nearest location that would have a vehicle the size you need? Kids love train adventures. We take the train to Philly or NYC fairly regularly.

I wouldn't risk it either, but I think there's a way to salvage your trip!

• Like 1

So no rental company in your area has a van for rent? Most will quickly bring one in from another area.

If they don't, can't you rent a smaller vehicle to just hold your family and let your sister follow you down in their own vehicle?

Or another idea, rent a smaller vehicle one way just to get to your sisters and then rent a larger vehicle there to use the rest of the time. It's slightly more to rent one way but not terrible. We recently did it and the difference was not a lot.

• Like 1

Is it the Takata airbag recall? 34 million cars are affected by it. My Corolla is affected too.

I'll just drive because there is no spare parts yet. It is a massive expansion of an earlier recall.

List in WSJ link

http://graphics.wsj.com/airbags-recall/

ETA:

In your case, I would rent a car that is not on the recall list if it is financially affordable.

• Like 1

Rent two vehicles assuming you and your dh will be going if you cannot find one larger one.

If it's only you, can you get to your sister's place in a smaller car and then rent a larger vehicle there to accommodate all of you?

You will be paying OOP for this. Keep receipts and see if you can get any money back - but I would not count on it. Instead, view it as a surprise for parents / grandparents worth every dime.

• Like 3

We just did this last week with our Corolla. We got the letter, dh called the next day and took it in that same day. There was a big mix-up with the place he made the appointment with--they didn't have him down for an appointment. That he'd just made a few hours earlier. :glare:   But he called the Toyota dealer in the next town and they were able to take him that day so at least it all worked out.

Can you manage the trip with no one in the front passenger seat?

Sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope your vacation goes well in spite of this trouble. :grouphug:

Can the airbag just be disabled until you can get it repaired? You wouldn't have the airbag in the event of an accident, but at least you wouldn't have the extra danger of the random malfunction.

Exactly. Just disable it until it is fixed. Seat belts are the bulk of your crash safety, not airbags, and then you don't have to worry about the rental or lack of parts.

I'm not willing to take the risk. My airbag light HAS been coming on randomly. Our mechanic (who didn't know about the recall) couldn't find any reason, we hadn't received the recall notice yet, so I brushed it aside. 

When I called the dealership, they said that the problem occurs when moisture gets into the area affected, and that driving down to FL would be very ill advised because of that (the humidity as compared to here, I would assume). 

Apparently the problem has caused around 7 deaths and over 100 injuries. Paranoid or not, I'm not taking that risk with my children, nephew, and pregnant sister in the car.

But you have been driving this car for a number of years, with the defective air bag. The risk is not suddenly any greater because they announced a formal recall.

• Like 13

But you have been driving this car for a number of years, with the defective air bag. The risk is not suddenly any greater because they announced a formal recall.

Not because of the announcement, but if it is a wear and tear issue, then in fact the risk might be gradually going up. And anyway, people do reduce their risk after they have new knowledge about something even if that risk is not cumulative. I might learn that seat belts save lives--so I start wearing a seatbelt. Not because I believe my risk is greater with knowledge, but just because I know, so now I choose to reduce my risk. Before I couldn't make that choice.

OP--take the trip with two cars and if you can't call and be assertive with customer service get someone else to do that. "We bought this vehicle, so you WILL pay for the total cost of replacing it while you fix what was supposed to have been fixed when we bought it, and if that means two sedans, so be it, and we will hire a lawyer if need be." The rental costs for your family are not huge for them. That is a do-able expense and if not they should have thought about it before using shoddy materials and construction by underpaid workers wherever those workers may be.

Enterprise can get large vans with a one day notice. 

They told us that they could not get us a full sized SUV by tomorrow.

My sister doesn't have a vehicle - that's why I am driving her. 

We could get a vehicle by sometime Friday - but we need to be there on Friday (as in, 12 hours away, in southern FL, when I have to detour to Snellville, GA to pick up my sister). 

We can afford a rental - but there is no way that we could get plane tickets this short of notice that aren't many thousands of dollars (considering it would be for 7; three of the 7 are children who have never flown, and I'm not sure exactly how they would react to that).

DH is not going. I am the only driving adult going. DH only arrived back home from a business trip to Germany a few days ago; he's leaving again (out of state) in a week. 

I appreciate all of the suggestions. We won't risk the drive, though, in my SUV since somebody has to sit in the passenger side affected. I asked if we could just somehow turn the airbag off and they said "no" - that they do not advise driving the vehicle until it's fixed, but at least to DEFINITELY not drive with anybody in the passenger side, regardless of the airbag being engaged or not.

But I do know about the risk now. To drive it, with my children and others in the car, would be negligent, imo. There is a difference between doing something dangerous, inadvertently, because you do not know the risks, vs doing that same things with full understanding that it's risky and dangerous. 

They told us that they could not get us a full sized SUV by tomorrow.

My sister doesn't have a vehicle - that's why I am driving her. 

We could get a vehicle by sometime Friday - but we need to be there on Friday (as in, 12 hours away, in southern FL, when I have to detour to Snellville, GA to pick up my sister). 

We can afford a rental - but there is no way that we could get plane tickets this short of notice that aren't many thousands of dollars (considering it would be for 7; three of the 7 are children who have never flown, and I'm not sure exactly how they would react to that).

This is such a bummer, AimeeM!

I would rent a smaller vehicle one-way at your location and arrange to turn it in for a bigger van in some larger town along the way to your sister's house.   We did this with last summer - rented a smaller car for a day to get us where we needed to go, then traded it in for the mini-van we really needed at another rental agency in the same chain (Budget).  Arranged it all online and it was very easy.

• Like 3

Can you get it fixed where you are going on vacation? Strange idea, but I am sure there are dealerships all over the country--and they *might* have a loaner.  You would still have to drive it there, but as others have mentioned, you have been driving with it like that for awhile already (as have millions of others, if this is the recall I am aware of)