Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW29: and now for something completely different - OULIPO

Robin M

The like button doesn't like me today for some reason so consider yourselves all liked.   :thumbup:

I thought I would jump in to this group, I have decided to read 1 book a week to encourage my girls reading and to push myself to cut down my never ending list of books to read. This week I'm reading Deconstructing Penguins and Science Matters. I have The Knowledge Deficit and The Soul of Discipline checked out from the library also so those two will be next. I'm thinking of taking a break from Non-Fiction after this. I need more time between some of these books to mule over the idea's.  

Welcome Mom.   Hubby and son have been reading Science Matters and I've started Deconstructing Penguins, then it got lost.  Thanks for the reminder.  I'll have to go hunt for it.

I'm an hour or so south and it's really muggy here too. It's become overcast in the last hour or so. The air is very still, which is rare for this location in the evening. Satellite shows some moisture above us but it hasn't precipitated yet. I wish.

The rain bypassed us completely.  It was warm and humid last night, now we are just hot (which is normal) 

• Like 7

Hey all, I haven't posted in the past few weeks as I hadn't finished or started anything new. This week I can report that I have *finally* finished 1Q84 and I really enjoyed it.

:hurray:    Yeah! Glad you stuck it out and read the whole thing.  

On the topic of books, we are house hunting and I am absolutely amazed at the lack of wall space for book shelves.  My # one priority  of course. Whats with all the angles and short walls?  And kitchens in the middle of the house with no windows?    We may just end up staying where we are and adding on.    Don't let my hubby hear that.  :leaving:

• Like 14

I just finished the contemporary romance Chase Me: A Broke and Beautiful Novel by Tessa Bailey, and I enjoyed it.  (What is curious is that last week I started the sequel Need Me but did not finish it.  Somehow that storyline or some other aspect of the book just did not work for me.)

"College drop-out Roxy Cumberland moved to New York with dreams of becoming an actress, but her dwindling bank account is quickly putting the kibosh on that fantasy. To make some quick cash, she signs up to perform singing telegrams. Her first customer is a gorgeous, cocky Manhattan trust-funder if she ever laid eyes on one. And what could be more humiliating than singing an ode to his junk, courtesy of his last one night stand? Maybe the fact that she's dressed in a giant pink bunny costume…

After a night out to celebrate winning his last case, lawyer Louis McNally the Second isn't prepared for the pounding in his head or the rabbit serenading him from the front door. But the sassy wit and sexy voice of the girl behind the mask intrigue him, and one look at her stunning face—followed by a mind-blowing kiss against his doorjamb—leaves Louis wanting more.

Roxy doesn't need a spoiled rich boy who's had everything in life handed to him on a Tiffany platter. But there's more to Louis than his sexy surface and he's determined to make Roxy see it...even if it means chasing her all over NYC."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I just finished the contemporary romance Chase Me: A Broke and Beautiful Novel by Tessa Bailey, and I enjoyed it. (What is curious is that last week I started the sequel Need Me but did not finish it. Somehow that storyline or some other aspect of the book just did not work for me.)

"College drop-out Roxy Cumberland moved to New York with dreams of becoming an actress, but her dwindling bank account is quickly putting the kibosh on that fantasy. To make some quick cash, she signs up to perform singing telegrams. Her first customer is a gorgeous, cocky Manhattan trust-funder if she ever laid eyes on one. And what could be more humiliating than singing an ode to his junk, courtesy of his last one night stand? Maybe the fact that she's dressed in a giant pink bunny costume…

After a night out to celebrate winning his last case, lawyer Louis McNally the Second isn't prepared for the pounding in his head or the rabbit serenading him from the front door. But the sassy wit and sexy voice of the girl behind the mask intrigue him, and one look at her stunning face—followed by a mind-blowing kiss against his doorjamb—leaves Louis wanting more.

Roxy doesn't need a spoiled rich boy who's had everything in life handed to him on a Tiffany platter. But there's more to Louis than his sexy surface and he's determined to make Roxy see it...even if it means chasing her all over NYC."

Regards,

Kareni

The pink rabbit and singing telegrams got me. They obviously attracted others also because I am number five on the list!

• Like 6

I'm going to post today since I will probably forget as the week goes on.  I will try to post near the beginning of the weeks of these threads (I'm talking to myself here, making a plan), so I can mention what book I've read recently.  Maybe this plan will motivate me to keep going.  I don't think I can do a book each week, but I can comment on what I'm reading.

So, the last book I read in full was Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel: Questions, Answers, and Reflections.  It's not a novel (which is what I'm trying to get back into, but I get frustrated when I get interrupted with these), but it was a pretty interesting read.  I thought it would be somewhat fluffy, but it turned out to be pretty thoughtful and insightful about the whole airline industry.  I think the most interesting part to me was learning about pilot training, pilot scheduling, pilot salaries (not as big as one might think), and the differences between regional airline pilots and the big airline pilots.

Somewhere on this thread or the last one, someone wrote about not buying more books until they've read the ones on their shelves.  I think I need to do that, lol!  So, Don Quixote is staring at me from my book pile, but I am still scared to plunge in - what if I get bogged down by the length??  But a friend of mine just finished it, and she kept telling me how interesting and funny it is....I should probably just plunge.

Or I could keep reading Searching For Sunday by Rachel Held Evans.  I hope to be able to report back next week that I did something!  :D

Hey, thanks all for the welcomes - I really appreciated it!  Nan and Jane, I've missed you!!!  I'll have to catch you up on our life sometime.

• Like 10

I'm keeping on with Guantanamo Diary but reading it slowly with liberal splashes of Wicked Charm (Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton). Wicked Charm was meh. Total fluff but usually they're better than this one was... I'll probably continue to read it anyway. I'm probably going to start Laurell K. Hamilton's Dead Ice as my Guantanamo Diary buffer. Sounds like a bizarre choice but I can handle zombies, werewolves, and vampire violence better than torture.

• Like 10

I'm a little more than halfway through deconstructing penguins and it has sort of solidified my decision to go with mosdos press to teach basic literature analysis to my 5th grader. I love the discussions presented but I didn't see the underlying themes in the books presented so far until the author pointed them out. I still don't feel confident enough to read a book and deconstructed it on my own without researching it first. I feel like I have a heavy teacher load next year as is. I'll finish the book though and see if I change my mind. 

• Like 11

I'm a little more than halfway through deconstructing penguins ...

You might also wish to take a look at this book which is in a similar vein ~

"While many books can be enjoyed for their basic stories, there are often deeper literary meanings interwoven in these texts. How to Read Literature Like a Professor helps us to discover those hidden truths by looking at literature with the eyes—and the literary codes-of the ultimate professional reader, the college professor.

What does it mean when a literary hero is traveling along a dusty road? When he hands a drink to his companion? When he’s drenched in a sudden rain shower?

Ranging from major themes to literary models, narrative devices and form, Thomas C. Foster provides us with a broad overview of literature—a world where a road leads to a quest, a shared meal may signify a communion, and rain, whether cleansing or destructive, is never just a shower-and shows us how to make our reading experience more enriching, satisfying, and fun."

There is also a version written for young people ~

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids by Thomas C. Foster

"In How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids, New York Times bestselling author and professor Thomas C. Foster gives tweens the tools they need to become thoughtful readers. With funny insights and a conversational style, he explains the way writers use symbol, metaphor, characterization, setting, plot and other key techniques to make a story come to life.

From that very first middle school book report to that first college course, kids need to be able to understand the layers of meaning in literature. Foster makes learning this important skill fun and exciting by using examples from How the Grinch Stole Christmas to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, from short stories and poems to movie scripts. This go-to guide unlocks all the hidden secrets to reading, making it entertaining and satisfying."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

I read and enjoyed the romantic suspense novel Force of Attraction (A K-9 Rescue Novel) by D. D. Ayres.  It's the second in a series, but it truly can stand alone.  This is a book I may well read again.

"The only thing more powerful than fear is desire...

A seasoned K-9 officer with the police in Maryland, Cole Jamison has left her old life behind her. With a new home and a new partner-a protective canine named Hugo-Cole is ready for fresh challenges. A crucial position on an important drug task force is exactly what she wants...until she discovers her gorgeous, infuriating ex-husband will be the DEA agent in charge.

FORCE OF ATTRACTION

Agent Scott Lucca may be a pro when it comes to undercover assignments, but this job is daunting even for him. Posing as a happy couple on the dog competition circuit means he and Cole need to get a lot closer than they've been in years. Playing a live-in couple should seem like a walk in the park compared to tracking a brutal criminal, but suddenly nothing could be more dangerous than the passionate fire they've rekindled..."

Trigger alert for animal lovers ~ There is mention of puppies who have been slaughtered after being used as drug carriers.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

So, the last book I read in full was Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel: Questions, Answers, and Reflections.  It's not a novel (which is what I'm trying to get back into, but I get frustrated when I get interrupted with these), but it was a pretty interesting read.  I thought it would be somewhat fluffy, but it turned out to be pretty thoughtful and insightful about the whole airline industry.  I think the most interesting part to me was learning about pilot training, pilot scheduling, pilot salaries (not as big as one might think), and the differences between regional airline pilots and the big airline pilots.

I really liked this book a lot, too.  In fact, I've read it several times -- I gave away my first copy and had to buy another!   I'm a nervous flyer and his explanation of turbulence has been so, so helpful to me.  

• Like 6

In my meandering around the interwebz

The Most Beautiful Illustrations from 200 years of Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales - fascinating artwork

Wall Street Journal - How dare you say that! The evolution of profanity.   -- don't worry, they keep it clean.  interesting read.

Publisher Weekly's The 10 Best short Story Collections You Never Read

New Translations for July from World Literature Today

• Like 10

Supplementing the intensity of 'Catherine the Great' with a lighthearted mystery. Under an English Heaven by Alice Boatwright is a book that might appeal to several BaWers here. Mumto2, have you read this?

On another note, the final Isabel Dalhousie mystery is out, entitled, The Novel Habits of Happiness. Uncharacteristically I have read all the previous books in this series and very much enjoyed them. This last one gets decent reviews. The question is, loan or buy?

• Like 8

You might also wish to take a look at this book which is in a similar vein ~

"While many books can be enjoyed for their basic stories, there are often deeper literary meanings interwoven in these texts. How to Read Literature Like a Professor helps us to discover those hidden truths by looking at literature with the eyes—and the literary codes-of the ultimate professional reader, the college professor.

What does it mean when a literary hero is traveling along a dusty road? When he hands a drink to his companion? When he’s drenched in a sudden rain shower?

Ranging from major themes to literary models, narrative devices and form, Thomas C. Foster provides us with a broad overview of literature—a world where a road leads to a quest, a shared meal may signify a communion, and rain, whether cleansing or destructive, is never just a shower-and shows us how to make our reading experience more enriching, satisfying, and fun."

There is also a version written for young people ~

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids by Thomas C. Foster

"In How to Read Literature Like a Professor: For Kids, New York Times bestselling author and professor Thomas C. Foster gives tweens the tools they need to become thoughtful readers. With funny insights and a conversational style, he explains the way writers use symbol, metaphor, characterization, setting, plot and other key techniques to make a story come to life.

From that very first middle school book report to that first college course, kids need to be able to understand the layers of meaning in literature. Foster makes learning this important skill fun and exciting by using examples from How the Grinch Stole Christmas to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, from short stories and poems to movie scripts. This go-to guide unlocks all the hidden secrets to reading, making it entertaining and satisfying."

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks! I'll get that book, I really would rather stick to classic literature for literature analysis. 

• Like 5

Well, I bailed on The Water Knife.  It was just too brutal and violent. I was interested in the idea behind the story, so I wanted to persevere, and so I skimmed through a couple of torture scenes, trying to stick with it, but between a violent sex scene and yet another awful torture sequence, I'm out.  Blech.

• Like 10

I read a historical romance today that I quite enjoyed ~ The Duke's Disaster by Grace Burrowes.  I've read a number of historical romances by this author and enjoyed them all.  More recently, the author has also written a series of contemporary romances.

"Noah Winters, Duke of Anselm, exercises the pragmatism for which he's infamous when his preferred choice of bride cries off, and her companion, Lady Thea Collins, becomes his next choice for his duchess. Lady Thea's mature, sensible and even rather attractive-what could possibly go wrong?

As a lady fallen on hard times, Thea doesn't expect tender sentiments from His Grace, but she does wish Noah had courted her trust, lest her past turn their hastily arranged marriage into a life of shared regrets. Is His Grace courting a convenient wife, or a beautiful disaster?"

Grace Burrowes currently has several works available free to Kindle readers (some of which I've posted before) ~

Gabriel: Lord of Regrets (The Lonely Lords Book 5)  by Grace Burrowes

A Kiss for Luck: A Novella (Sweetest Kisses Book 0) by Grace Burrowes

Must Love Highlanders by Grace Burrowes and Patience Griffin

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Last night I read Losing It by Cora Carmack; I'd last read this two or so years ago, but mumto2's question about it and my recent read of the author's newest series had me re-reading this.  I'd say that the flavor of the books is similar, but it's a tad shorter and there is no sports connection.  It features a college aged student and a young professor; it would be classified as a new adult book.

A cursory investigation of my shelves is not revealing the sequel I'm 99.7% confident that I own, so I'm going to have to dig through some piles to try to hunt it down.

"Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible—a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half a brain would ever believe.

And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theater professor.

She'd left him naked in her bed about eight hours earlier. . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I read Megan Ericksson's newest m/m romance Focus on Me and was in floods of tears. Really good book but I wish I had know what the conflict was going to be because it had me in floods of tears. It was really really well done and very true to my own experience with the issue but it was HARD to read. I highly recommend it.

If you want to know the conflict here it is in white text: it is about depression and attempted suicide

• Like 7

E. L. Doctorow Dies at 84; Literary Time Traveler Stirred Past Into Fiction

Anyone read and enjoyed his books?  While I'm familiar with his name, I haven't read any of his works.

Regards,

Kareni

The only one I've read is The March. I thought it was fantastic, and would like to read some of his other work. I'll be interested to hear about others' favorites.

• Like 5

Well, I bailed on The Water Knife.  It was just too brutal and violent. I was interested in the idea behind the story, so I wanted to persevere, and so I skimmed through a couple of torture scenes, trying to stick with it, but between a violent sex scene and yet another awful torture sequence, I'm out.  Blech.

Thanks for the info. That was enough for me to take it off my library hold list.

• Like 7

Today I finished The Big Four by Agatha Christie.  I'd never read a Christie novel before.  I liked it.  I was especially interested in the fact that aside from carts and carriages and newspapers to get news and lack of electronics being mentioned, the story could have been happening right now.  The detective work of Hercule Poirot stands up to the test of time.

• Like 11

A couple of pieces that might interest some ~

Woman gets library card approved 73 years later

"More than seven decades ago, Pearl Thompson wanted to check out a book from a North Carolina library. But she was told no, because she is black.

A county library official changed that Thursday, years after the 1942 incident during the days of racial segregation...."

***'

Fantastic Feminist Books For Young Adults

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Finished Wicked Charms and Guantanamo Diary. I had to make myself finish Guantanamo Diary. I'm not normally squeamish but this was just depressing and cringeworthy in a lot of places. Sad.

I'm a handful of chapters into Dead Ice and yeah, even as ridiculous as they are, I still enjoy Anita Blake's world. 

• Like 9

Alternating lesson planning with reading: I finished working out what we'll need to cover in Latin and Roman history/culture for the NLE this year, so I read another 50 pages in Roderick Random. It's your classic picaresque novel, with the hero's adventures following one hard on the heels of another with no real connection between them, though characters reappear frequently. There's an interesting section in which a prostitute who nearly traps Random into marrying her tells her story, in a manner designed to elicit sympathy for the unfortunate women in that position; unlike the apparently similar section in Jane's Smollett, though, it's completely Smollett's fabrication.

A little more, and then I have to go figure out Middle Girl's non-Roman history for the year.

• Like 11

I found my copy of Cora Carmack's Faking It and read it this afternoon.  I enjoyed it.

"Mackenzie "Max" Miller has a problem. Her parents have arrived in town for a surprise visit, and if they see her dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings, they just might disown her. Even worse, they’re expecting to meet a nice wholesome boyfriend, not a guy named Mace who has a neck tattoo and plays in a band. All her lies are about to come crashing down around her, but then she meets Cade.

Cade moved to Philadelphia to act and to leave his problems behind in Texas. So far though, he’s kept the problems and had very little opportunity to take the stage. When Max approaches him in a coffee shop with a crazy request to pretend to be her boyfriend, he agrees to play the part. But when Cade plays the role a little too well, they’re forced to keep the ruse going. And the more they fake the relationship, the more real it begins to feel."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I'm a handful of chapters into Dead Ice and yeah, even as ridiculous as they are, I still enjoy Anita Blake's world.

I really need to get back to my Anita Blake reread so that I can read the last couple of books that are in the series. Glad you are enjoying the latest.

I gave up on The Swimmer.....too depressing politically. Probably a good thriller for some, just not me now. If that makes sense.

Kareni, Thanks for the reviews. Glad you found your book. So frustrating. Still waiting for Losing it.

I just started a new one called The Saint's Wife by Laura Gallagher. Calling it fluff isn't really fair to this one. It looks like fluff but is rather thought provoking. It centers on the wife and business partner of a dying public figure who is charismatic and bigger than life in public but dreadful in private. The wife was planning a divorce (rightfully) before the diagnosis and is now stuck, the partner who has been pressuring her to stay is realizing what he is asking. Sad but I can't seem to stop.

• Like 10

I finished Brideshead Revisited and gave it four stars. It took me almost to the end to realize the whole book was about God and religion and not the lifestyle of the rich and somewhat famous, not a love story, not a coming of age story. As someone who was born and raised Catholic and currently an atheist, I could understand the viewpoints of both the agnostic narrator and the Catholic family with whom he becomes involved. 

I made the mistake of reading about Evelyn Waugh part way through, and almost didn't finish, because I really disliked him. I'm glad I pushed through. I think I'll now watch the series (with Jeremy Irons) on AcornTV. 

Next up is something quick and shallow: Death in Devil's Acre, an historical mystery by Anne Perry. I still haven't decided if I'll join the Faust reading on that Goodreads group.

• Like 10

Last night I finished the paranormal romance Binding Ties: The Sentinel Wars by Shannon K. Butcher.  This is book nine in the series, and you'd definitely want to read this series in order.  Rather than post details about the book, here is some praise for the series as a whole ~

Praise for the Sentinel Wars

“A superb paranormal suspense.â€â€”Genre Go Round Reviews

“An entertaining and thrilling series.â€â€”Fresh Fiction

“Shannon K. Butcher’s talent shines.â€â€”New York Times Bestselling Author Nalini Singh

Just as a side note, Shannon K. Butcher and Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files) are married.  Their house clearly has a whole lot of writing going on.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Here's a link to a free story on the Book Smugglers site ~ Luminous by A.E. Ash. I enjoyed it. You can read a review of the story here.

From the Tor site ~ Five SFF Novels with Perfect Opening Lines. The comments are also worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

Those were some great first lines Kareni. I am always fascinated by famous first lines.

• Like 5

Hello all.

Julia Peterkin's Scarlet Sister Mary won the Pulitzer in 1929 and deservedly so. The story is set among the Gullah people in coastal South Carolina. It was a radical book in its day written by a white woman without white characters. Living amongst the Gullah she has an insight and cultural appreciation that I enjoyed.

I am now reading Joe Sacco's harrowing graphic novel on the Bosnian war, Safe Area Gorazde, giving myself a break with Jane Gardam's lovely God on the Rocks.

Stacia, I'll send you the Peterkin.

• Like 8

I finished The Far Side of Evil by Sylvia Louise Engdhall. It's a companion/sequel to Enchantress from the Stars, though it can be read as a stand alone. I was considering it for our lit studies this year, but I think we won't read it. Engdhal says that it's an adult book, of less interest to kids who enjoy Enchantress, and I think she is right. Not just because of the topic - a culture on the brink of destroying itself with nuclear war - but because of the heavy torture angle, which while not graphic, and integral to the plot, would be disturbing to my kid.

This one didn't have quite the same appeal to me as Enchantress, and the writing was a bit more flat.  One of the really wonderful aspects of Enchantress was how the author totally changed the voice as she spoke from the POV of the three characters, it was very masterfully done.  This book was all from one POV, essentially, and the characters were flatter.  So while it was good, it wasn't as good for me as the first book.

• Like 8

Last night I finished Jessica Scott's contemporary romance It's Always Been You (A Coming Home Novel Book 5).

Here's what I commented after reading a recent book of hers; it's still apropos: "I've read a number of books by the author, and I've enjoyed them all.  She is (according to her author bio) a career Army officer who is married to a career NCO.  All of her books have characters who are or have been in the military, and their experiences seem to ring true.  She shows their camaraderie, boredom, and exhilaration; their certainty or doubts; the physical and mental damage that afflicts some; and the drug and alcohol abuse that some suffer.  (Not all of those in one book!)"   I will happily read more of her books.

"She plays by the rules . . .

Captain Ben Teague is many things: a tough soldier, a loyal friend, and a bona fide smart-ass. He doesn't have much tolerance for BS, which is why he's mad as hell when a trusted colleague and mentor is brought up on charges that can't possibly be true. He's even more frustrated with by-the-book lawyer Major Olivia Hale. But there's something simmering beneath her icy reserve--and Ben just can't resist turning up the heat . . .

. . . and he's determined to break them

The only thing riskier than mixing business with pleasure is enjoying it . . . and Olivia can't resist locking horns--and lips--with Ben. He's got more compassion in his little finger than any commander she's ever met, a fact that makes him a better leader than he realizes. But when the case that brought them together awakens demons from Olivia's past, she will have to choose between following orders--or her heart . . ."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

If any of you are teaching multiplication to your children, you might be interested in this CURRENTLY free Kindle book.  I've recommended the paper version to friends whose children loved it ~

Times Tables the Fun Way Book for Kids: A Picture and Story Method of Learning Multiplication by Judy Liautaud and Dave Rodriguez

http://www.amazon.co...79&_bbtype=blog

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Fans of Alice in Wonderland or those with an interest in translation might find this Smithsonian article of interest ~

My daughter and I entered into a correspondence some years ago with the daughter of Clive Harcourt Carruthers, the man who'd translated Alice in Wonderland into Latin, when we were trying to find a copy.  His translation has since been reissued.  Here's a link ~

Alicia in Terra Mirabili (Latin Edition)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Hello all.

Julia Peterkin's Scarlet Sister Mary won the Pulitzer in 1929 and deservedly so. The story is set among the Gullah people in coastal South Carolina. It was a radical book in its day written by a white woman without white characters. Living amongst the Gullah she has an insight and cultural appreciation that I enjoyed.

I am now reading Joe Sacco's harrowing graphic novel on the Bosnian war, Safe Area Gorazde, giving myself a break with Jane Gardam's lovely God on the Rocks.

Stacia, I'll send you the Peterkin.

Ohh, thank you, Jane! Sounds like a book I would enjoy, esp. as the Gullah are prevalent around Charleston & near where my sister lives. It's sad how much modern society & urban growth has encroached on their living/working areas. The Gullah make sweetgrass baskets, which you will see for sale in & around Charleston. They use certain reeds for weaving. As strip shopping centers & such have taken over some of the marsh lands where the reeds grow, some of the compromises that have been made include the shopping centers maintaining planting beds w/ the reeds growing in them. The Gullah are the only ones allowed to pick the reeds from those beds. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Thanks for the mention of Sacco's graphic novel. I've not really read many (any?) graphic novels, but have wanted to try a couple. Looks like the library has this one, so I've requested it. (But, it will be awhile until I get it. I suspended the hold; between the Marco Polo books & oodles of books that have recently arrived from my library holds, I have big stacks here right now.)

• Like 6

MY KINDLE WON'T TURN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*curls up in ball and cries*

I've plugged it in to charge it and I am keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that it will be okay in the morning. Almost all my books are packed what will I do if my Kindle does not work????????!!!!!!!!

Yes first world problem but......

• Like 6