Menu

First US Measles Death Since 2003

Spy Car

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Bill, totally irrelevant to the topic at hand but I've been meaning to tell you that of all the rainbows on display recently your signature box is by far my favorite. Always makes me grin.)

Thank you. I figured if I was going to have a rainbow, it ought to be *fabulous* :D

Bill

• Like 26

According to the local news,  we don't know if the woman had been vaccinated or not. 

I know this case isn't connected to the Disney measles outbreak,  but I'm curious about something.  At the time, the CDC reported that measles in the Disney outbreak came from overseas.  I would like to know why  travelers coming to the USA don't have to show proof of immunization.   

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/united-states

• Like 1

I would like to know why travelers coming to the USA don't have to show proof of immunization.

Tourism dollars would be at stake. If I have to bring proof of immunization to visit a country, I would be too worried about contacting the disease to visit. I'll go somewhere else without a health scare for a vacation.

South Korea is currently still tackling a MERS outbreak. Tourists change or cancel plans.

From CNN

"More than 100,000 tourists have already dropped plans to visit the country, and if many more stay away the economy could lose billions of dollars.

South Korea now says that foreign visitors will be automatically insured against the risk of contracting Middle East Respiratory Syndrome."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/news/south-korea-mers-tourism-insurance/

• Like 2

From article:

"The woman who died was apparently taking a series of medications that lowered her immune system’s ability to fight off disease. Although she didn’t present a rash or other obvious external symptoms, she died of pneumonia caused by the measles infection."

Interesting.

• Like 1

According to the local news,  we don't know if the woman had been vaccinated or not. 

Whether or not she was vaccinated is irrelevant. Her immune system was suppressed for medical reasons, so the vaccine would not have made a difference, nor would it have made a difference if she had previously had the measles. She was relying on the rest of us to be vaccinated in order to stay healthy (herd immunity). 

• Like 24

I know this case isn't connected to the Disney measles outbreak,  but I'm curious about something.  At the time, the CDC reported that measles in the Disney outbreak came from overseas.  I would like to know why  travelers coming to the USA don't have to show proof of immunization.   

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/united-states

I would like to know if she was, and when. 

ETA:  Info is vague but sounds as if she may have had typical childhood vaccination against measles. 

Whether or not she was vaccinated is irrelevant. Her immune system was suppressed for medical reasons, so the vaccine would not have made a difference, nor would it have made a difference if she had previously had the measles. She was relying on the rest of us to be vaccinated in order to stay healthy (herd immunity). 

It is not irrelevant.  It could have been the cause.  MMR is a live vaccine and around 2% get measles from the vaccine.  She was already immunocompromised. 

So it may or may not have played a role.  If she were unvaccinated, that would be front and center in the headlines, for sensationalistic purposes.  So I wonder.  Call me a skeptic but I believe little of what I read in the mainstream media, as presented. 

• Like 2

It is not irrelevant.  It could have been the cause.  MMR is a live vaccine and around 2% get measles from the vaccine.  She was already immunocompromised. 

So it may or may not have played a role.  If she were unvaccinated, that would be front and center in the headlines, for sensationalistic purposes.  So I wonder.  Call me a skeptic but I believe little of what I read in the mainstream media, as presented. 

Did you read the article? I would guess not. She got the disease at a health care facility, not from a vaccination. 

• Like 6

Did you read the article? I would guess not. She got the disease at a health care facility, not from a vaccination. 

I did.

And you would have absolutely no way of knowing that had someone in the facility been ill AND if she had had the vaccine recently.  Could have been either/or.

At any rate, it does sound as if she had the vaccine in the past, so probably not that.  She was simply an unfortunate victim of being immunosuppressed and having entered the wrong place at the wrong time.   

She was simply an unfortunate victim of being immunosuppressed and having entered the wrong place at the wrong time.   

No, it was not a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a case of an immune suppressed person in a medical facility being exposed to a fatal illness for which a vaccine is available! 

• Like 25

I did.

And you would have absolutely no way of knowing that had someone in the facility been ill AND if she had had the vaccine recently.  Could have been either/or.

At any rate, it does sound as if she had the vaccine in the past, so probably not that.  She was simply an unfortunate victim of being immunosuppressed and having entered the wrong place at the wrong time.   

There's that caring attitude at play  :glare:

Wrong place, at the wrong time.

Bill

• Like 11

No, it was not a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a case of an immune suppressed person in a medical facility being exposed to a fatal illness for which a vaccine is available! 

Oh, so you have the medical records of the person who was sick at the facility and know that person was unvaccinated? 

Because I haven't see that. For all we know, that person could have been just like this victim, immunosuppressed and became ill. 

Facts matter. 

• Like 1

There's that caring attitude at play  :glare:

Wrong place, at the wrong time.

Bill

I'm sure she would agree.  Maybe the initial victim at the facility was a horrible person intentionally spreading disease who should have been imprisoned for wanton disregard of others.

Or maybe the person was another immunocompromised person who just happen to become ill by some exposure, even exposure to a newly vaccinated person?   

If you have any facts, let's hear them.  If you don't, then stop speculating. 

• Like 1

I'm sure she would agree.  Maybe the initial victim at the facility was a horrible person intentionally spreading disease who should have been imprisoned for wanton disregard of others.

Or maybe the person was another immunocompromised person who just happen to become ill by some exposure, even exposure to a newly vaccinated person?   

If you have any facts, let's hear them.  If you don't, then stop speculating. 

You're the only one "speculating."

Measles is a disease we almost wiped out. *Sigh*

Bill

• Like 17

Oh, so you have the medical records of the person who was sick at the facility and know that person was unvaccinated? 

Because I haven't see that. For all we know, that person could have been just like this victim, immunosuppressed and became ill. 

Facts matter. 

If that is the case, then who exposed that person to the disease? Transmittable diseases are just that, transmittable. Herd immunity. 

• Like 14

Bill

Do you think proof of vaccination should be a requirement for travel to the US to protect our communities?   Travelers could also be required to show that they don't have TB, and as I understand it the TB vaccine isn't recommended or widely used here.   

I live in WA, and when I read about local cases of measles and the dates/places that the sick person visited, SeaTac airport is usually mentioned.  

Do you think proof of vaccination should be a requirement for travel to the US to protect our communities?   Travelers could also be required to show that they don't have TB, and as I understand it the TB vaccine isn't recommended or widely used here.   

I live in WA, and when I read about local cases of measles and the dates/places that the sick person visited, SeaTac airport is usually mentioned.  

Although I'm not Bill, I'll share my one measly thought on it, FWIW.

We are the ones who need to be immunized to protect our communities. 

The CDC fact sheet on the TB vaccine states that because the risk of contracting TB is low, the effectiveness of the vaccine in adults is variable and the fact that the vaccine can interfere with the accuracy of the initial TB screening, it is only used in very specific situations. 

"BCG is not generally recommended for use in the United States because of the low risk of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the variable effectiveness of the vaccine against adult pulmonary TB, and the vaccine’s potential interference with tuberculin skin test reactivity. The BCG vaccine should be considered only for very select persons who meet specific criteria and in consultation with a TB expert."

​

• Like 6

From article:

"The woman who died was apparently taking a series of medications that lowered her immune system’s ability to fight off disease. Although she didn’t present a rash or other obvious external symptoms, she died of pneumonia caused by the measles infection."

Interesting.

We have always know that, though. Infants, the elderly and the immune compromised are the ones put at greatest risk by the anti-vax movement. 

• Like 15

The CDC fact sheet on the TB vaccine states that because the risk of contracting TB is low, the effectiveness of the vaccine in adults is variable and the fact that the vaccine can interfere with the accuracy of the initial TB screening, it is only used in very specific situations. 

"BCG is not generally recommended for use in the United States because of the low risk of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the variable effectiveness of the vaccine against adult pulmonary TB, and the vaccine’s potential interference with tuberculin skin test reactivity. The BCG vaccine should be considered only for very select persons who meet specific criteria and in consultation with a TB expert."

​

Your one "measly" thought on a measles thread.  Heh heh.

If that is the case, then who exposed that person to the disease? Transmittable diseases are just that, transmittable. Herd immunity. 

You can't go blaming unvaccinated people when you don't even know if you are talking about an unvaccinated person.  But people are doing that. 

Perhaps two herd members shared it.  You don't know. 

• Like 1

You're the only one "speculating."

Bill

You are assuming that we are talking about non-herd members, rather than speculating. Point granted. 

Perhaps both were vaccinated and everyone they came into contact with was vaccinated and some rogue person still got the measles.  We just don't know.  But you are happy to blame unvaccinated people without evidence or facts.  That's what I mean. 

You have no idea but are willing to assign blame anyway.  I find that perplexing.  There will ALWAYS be pockets of any disease that just randomly pop up, even in a 100% vaccinated population. 

• Like 1

You can't go blaming unvaccinated people when you don't even know if you are talking about an unvaccinated person.  But people are doing that. 

Perhaps two herd members shared it.  You don't know. 

She did get it from someone who later developed the measles rash, so, there is a ....... what was the number you put before? 98%? chance she did not get it from a vaccinated individual.

• Like 5

​

But this still won't protect the babies, elderly, and people with suppressed immune systems from unvaccinated travelers who visit our communities.    According to the CDC,  the Disney measles outbreak didn't originate with unvaccinated California public school children.  

I brought up TB because that is something we don't vaccinate against so we can't rely on "herd immunity".    Wouldn't an airline passenger with TB be a risk to other travelers on the plane as well as the people in the community he/she visits?  

• Like 2

But this still won't protect the babies, elderly, and people with suppressed immune systems from unvaccinated travelers who visit our communities.    According to the CDC,  the Disney measles outbreak didn't originate with unvaccinated California public school children.  

I brought up TB because that is something we don't vaccinate against so we can't rely on "herd immunity".    Wouldn't an airline passenger with TB be a risk to other travelers on the plane as well as the people in the community he/she visits?  

Yes, all true! 

From what I've read, the Disneyland outbreak was most likely caused by an international traveler, but they have never found "patient zero." 

• Like 2

Bolded above is not true.  Ten million doses of MMR are distributed in the US each year.  If 2% got measles from their shots, you'd then expect to have two hundred thousand cases of measles in the US each year.  Which you don't.  There have been 178 cases reported so far in 2015.

Risks of MMR as per CDC

I usually avoid on-line vaccine discussions.  The degree of misinformation and lack of critical reasoning makes me squirrelly.  This I could not let go.

I've worked in a high volume emergency department for the past 15 years.  Vaccination rates in my area are very high.  We wee thousands of kids each year.   I have yet to see a case of measles.  I have also yet to see a life-threatening vaccine reaction.  I have seen a handful of kids with other vaccine preventable illnesses who had terrible outcomes.  In my mind it's a no brainer:  my kids get their shots.

• Like 32

Bolded above is not true.  Ten million doses of MMR are distributed in the US each year.  If 2% got measles from their shots, you'd then expect to have two hundred thousand cases of measles in the US each year.  Which you don't.  There have been 178 cases reported so far in 2015.

According to the CDC, mild reactions to the MMR vaccine could be fever and rash.  http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/fs-parents.html

Is it possible that a child with this mild (to him/her) reaction could still be considered contagious and especially dangerous to someone they may come in contact with who has a suppressed immune system?

​

BCG is part of the Japanese series of vaccinations.  We opted out because it messes with the TB test given in the US, making that person have to get a chest X-ray because they look positive.  However, they don't give mumps and chicken pox and just switched over to the OPV in the last eight years or so (one of mine had OPV rather than IPV which is usual in the US).

According to the CDC, mild reactions to the MMR vaccine could be fever and rash.  http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/measles/fs-parents.html

Is it possible that a child with this mild (to him/her) reaction could still be considered contagious and especially dangerous to someone they may come in contact with who has a suppressed immune system?

UK NHS says no.  CDC and Heath Canada specifically recommend vaccinating susceptible household contacts of immune compromized individuals.

• Like 4

Good questions. I don't have a settled position on this, the pro side of the argument seems fairly self evident. I guess I'd need to listen to the arguments of the other side.

Not sure.

Bill

I did.

That is not true.

Contact tracing may have been done and in the case of measles, the virus can be typed to determine the exact strain-so it may be possible to know for sure exactly where her infection came from.  

• Like 5

You are assuming that we are talking about non-herd members, rather than speculating. Point granted. 

Perhaps both were vaccinated and everyone they came into contact with was vaccinated and some rogue person still got the measles.  We just don't know.  But you are happy to blame unvaccinated people without evidence or facts.  That's what I mean. 

You have no idea but are willing to assign blame anyway.  I find that perplexing.  There will ALWAYS be pockets of any disease that just randomly pop up, even in a 100% vaccinated population. 

That is completely false.  There are no longer "pockets of disease that randomly pop up" of smallpox.  Viruses do not begin anew in a population where they have been eradicated.  If a virus has been wiped out in a given population (say, humans) then there will be no more cases, unless it is reintroduced.  

• Like 17

Risks of MMR as per CDC

I usually avoid on-line vaccine discussions.  The degree of misinformation and lack of critical reasoning makes me squirrelly.  This I could not let go.

I've worked in a high volume emergency department for the past 15 years.  Vaccination rates in my area are very high.  We wee thousands of kids each year.   I have yet to see a case of measles.  I have also yet to see a life-threatening vaccine reaction.  I have seen a handful of kids with other vaccine preventable illnesses who had terrible outcomes.  In my mind it's a no brainer:  my kids get their shots.

Thanks for catching this.  I tend to stay off many vax threads too to keep out of trouble/arguments.  I'm pro vax and would like to see CA's new law spread to other states... medical exemptions only if kids are heading to public schools.

But like you, the math error/conclusion was annoying during my reading this morning. 

• Like 6

Facts matter. 

If facts matter, then how come the overwhelming evidence of the positives of vaccines for the vast majority of people means nothing?  How come one stretches to find alternative reasons for the decline instead of giving credit to the obvious?

When my kids were young, one of my good friends from church was a lady my mom's age (give or take) who was confined to a wheelchair due to having had polio when she was young.  My oldest (as a baby/toddler) and I went to her place fairly often to visit.  She was a great lady who taught me many things.  One particular visit was after my guy had had one of his series of shots and still had the band aid to prove it.  The discussion that day was eye opening to me - someone who hadn't seen outbreaks of things like polio or measles or similar.  I was just having him get shots "just because" before that day.  It was more meaningful after.

She had seen it all.  She was living it and had since her young days.  It did not make her a bitter woman - she was great and even thankful to "just" be confined to a wheelchair compared to others she knew and told me about - but I have to wonder what her life could have been like had mass vaccination been available and common in her day.

It wasn't just her - one case out of millions with no issues.  It affected many and more often it was kids like her - from normal middle class families.

My tribute to you, Bonnie.  

If Bonnie were still alive, I'd gladly have you talk with her to get a better understanding of what life was like when so many had to deal with these diseases.

May we humans never go back to the way it used to be.

• Like 22

If facts matter, then how come the overwhelming evidence of the positives of vaccines for the vast majority of people means nothing?  How come one stretches to find alternative reasons for the decline instead of giving credit to the obvious?

When my kids were young, one of my good friends from church was a lady my mom's age (give or take) who was confined to a wheelchair due to having had polio when she was young.  My oldest (as a baby/toddler) and I went to her place fairly often to visit.  She was a great lady who taught me many things.  One particular visit was after my guy had had one of his series of shots and still had the band aid to prove it.  The discussion that day was eye opening to me - someone who hadn't seen outbreaks of things like polio or measles or similar.  I was just having him get shots "just because" before that day.  It was more meaningful after.

She had seen it all.  She was living it and had since her young days.  It did not make her a bitter woman - she was great and even thankful to "just" be confined to a wheelchair compared to others she knew and told me about - but I have to wonder what her life could have been like had mass vaccination been available and common in her day.

It wasn't just her - one case out of millions with no issues.  It affected many and more often it was kids like her - from normal middle class families.

My tribute to you, Bonnie.  

If Bonnie were still alive, I'd gladly have you talk with her to get a better understanding of what life was like when so many had to deal with these diseases.

May we humans never go back to the way it used to be.

Creekland, I hear you!

My best friend in elementary school had a brother who was a polio victim.  He survived and was ambulatory (although he wore a leg brace) but the entire family was haunted by the horrific fight made for his life, surrounded by other victims at my home town's polio hospital.  (Google photos of iron lungs in polio hospitals if you have never seen this before.)

I also had measles as a child--which gives you a clue about my age.

I don't know what else public health officials can do to educate the public. So sad and frustrating...

• Like 5

If facts matter, then how come the overwhelming evidence of the positives of vaccines for the vast majority of people means nothing?  

Because the negatives of vaccines for the small percentage of people who have reactions can be devastating. If your child is one of the unlucky, you can't sue the vaccine manufacturer. You have to rely on a doctor actually saying that the injury was vaccine related and the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program providing enough resources to care for your child going forward. You won't be getting pain and suffering or punitive damages, even if the manufacturer is at fault. Until we make vaccine manufacturers as legally liable as they are for other medicines they sell (Vioxx and Jaz for example) we shouldn't be surprised that parents don't trust them.

• Like 10