Menu

Why I'm glad we quit buying hair bands, etc made in China

Whether they are used or not...:svengo: Geez, the PR nightmare on this one alone...

"Two year old found with condom in her hair at preschool! Parents sue for emotional distress, win millions!"

I'm all for recycling, but let's at least not use the thing as is (assuming here that it did NOT "reach it's intended market!" ;)). Melt it down and reshape the thing before putting it in a children's hairpiece. Unbelievable!

Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!

In this one case, I'm not so sure it's good to recommend that anyone "reduce". :lol:

If you read the whole Snopes entry it clarifies that these were from items that did not reach their intended destination, and were instead, factory rejects. Really, it makes for a good/gross story, but how on earth would anyone (not to mention WHY on earth?) go about collecting enough recycled material to make hair tie production worthwhile? :confused: :001_smile: :D I can't even imagine.

It makes sense to find a secondary use for something that didn't meet standards for their intended purpose.

I highly doubt they are used, for goodness sakes. Where on earth would they get boatloads of used ones? The sewer system?

Seems to be a big woop for squat.

Well, I sure hope not. I have heard it on good authority that many do end up in the sewer system right here in NA (from someone who worked for a sewage treatment plant), and also how they have traditionally fertilized the land for their rice crops, but even the skeptic in me finds it hard to believe they'd go that far.

If you read the whole Snopes entry it clarifies that these were from items that did not reach their intended destination, and were instead, factory rejects.

That was the 2002 case. The article says it is not clear in the 2007 case whether the products were used for their intended purpose. :ack2:

I guess I'll start reading labels more closely!

See this--it's a Snopes link, but the allegation is TRUE.

ETA the link http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp

...they've ever found out about the condition of said, ahem, items, but honestly...China's record on safety (solidly reported/substantiated incidents of tainted clothing, toys, pet food, drugs) isn't good.

It's funny, but I just blogged about this, before clicking over here! I said there that I'm not at all against certain types/forms of global economy, and I also believe we have need of some sort of relationship with China, to affect their (desperately in need of affecting) policies...but when there's any issue about safety, I don't think you should take chances on them. Their record isn't good, and their governmental hierarchy seems...suspect.

JMO.

(And hey, if anyone's looking for a non-made-in-China tea set...click on my blog link! I found one! Woo hoo!)

Well, I sure hope not. I have heard it on good authority that many do end up in the sewer system right here in NA

No so long ago, I found one in my front yard! :ack2: It left me intensely curious about which of the two elderly women who live one and two doors down from me had had a wild fling the night before! ;)

No so long ago, I found one in my front yard! :ack2: It left me intensely curious about which of the two elderly women who live one and two doors down from me had had a wild fling the night before! ;)

The first time I ever saw one I was 14, and my cousins showed it to me--it was in the "alley" behind their house in Anchorage. :ack2: The eldest of them was 10, and they knew what they looked like before I did!