Menu

Do you buy name brand toner or compatible for your brother laser?

Mandylubug

I once upon a time tried non name brand inkjet printer ink and killed our printer. It clogged the printer heads and it was cheaper to buy a new printer than repair it.

Now, I have a new brother laser. I can't afford to replace it so I am skeptical about trying non-brother brand toner. Do you buy non named brand toner and like it just the same? Any brands to recommend or avoid? I would love to save some money here but really nervous about it :p

I have always used this cartridge for my Brother printer.  It is $15.  The Brother equivalent is $75-80.  Does the off-brand print exactly as many pages as the Brother?  I have no idea, but if it prints fewer, it is not so many that I have ever noticed.  I've done this for years, and I have only ever gotten one bad cartridge from the off-brand sellers on Amazon.  I also can keep a spare in my closet at all times, which I wouldn't do if they were $80 each.  I've bought from this and other sellers on Amazon and have not noticed a difference.  I suspect they're all coming from the same place anyway.

• Like 2

I buy generic for all our Brother laser printers.

We have have a few brother printers at our office.

The printer dh uses the most was new in October. I have ordered at least 5 sets of toner for it. We have saved at least $1,000 by buying genreric toner (color, not just b/w), that is far, far more than cost of the printer.

It depends on the brand, most do better with brand name toner, but I think the Brother is an exception. Our Xerox couldn't handle anything but the exact cartridge for it. Canons and HPs are notoriously picky, too.

I bought the off-brand from Amazon for a couple of years with no problem, but then I got one that leaked toner all inside of the printer and ruined it. I had to buy a brand new printer. Since then I've stuck with the name brand ones since I can't continue to replace $300 printers. Sam's Club sells the toner cartridges for $50 and I can easily get at least 6-9 month's worth of heavy printing out of each, so now I just stick with the real deal. 

I bought an off brand one for my Brother that was supposed to be equivalent to the name brand high yield cartridge, but it lasted nowhere near as long as the name brand one and had serious print quality issues. I've stuck with the name brand ones since then. I always buy them on Amazon and even with all of the printing that I do (duplexed, lots of ebook based curriculum, etc), I only use one cartridge a year.

I buy the Linkyo (?) ones that are the SuperMediaStore house brand and have never had a problem. I get the extended copy ones (4,000 vs 2,000 pages) and they last forever. I have no idea how many actual pages I get out of one but I probably only order once a year and we do a pretty good amount of printing.

This all really depends on how much toner you use and how expensive your printer is.

For many printers if you buy two rounds of generic toner and then the third round ruins your printer you can still break even on the cost of replacing the printer.

Name brand. If your generic ever decides to spew toner all over the inside of your printer, you will never think the savings are worth it again.

I keep an eye on prices and buy on sale.

If I save $55/cartridge, and I do save at least that, and my printer costs $225, which it did, I actually come out better buying cheaper toner even if one of every five is bad enough to ruin my printer. I had one bad cartridge out of a dozen, and it only made blotches on the page--no spewing. The math does not always come out in favor of name brand toners.

• Like 1

Our laser printer was less than $100 on sale, so yes, it is worth it for us to buy the off brand that does just as well as the small sample name brand cartridge That came with the printer. I would guess the name brands would have a risk of messing up the printer as well, just not sure of the stats on that vs generic. My DH read the reviews on the one we buy and it has pretty good reviews. Not sure of the exact one we buy because my dh orders it off his Amazon account when I tell him we need a new one. I think he does something like shake the cartridge back and forth to distribute the ink evenly before putting a new cartridge in the printer, which should prevent the ink from clumping and spilling from one spot. I vaguely recall off brand cartridges that don't have good reviews on Amazon from researching when we replaced the 1st cartridge. Maybe there are off brand ones more likely to spill out into the printer? Maybe not all generics are equated equal? IDK, we've only had our laser printer 4 years and have only replaced the ink cartridge 3 times.

I have tried generic for my Brother laser printer off and on and I'm ALWAYS disappointed.  They don't last as long and usually when I take it out to shake the remaining ink left in the generic cartridge, I have ink all over the place.  I just buy the original.  $50 for a year's worth of printing is not that bad.  I get mine off of Amazon.

• Like 1

If I save $55/cartridge, and I do save at least that, and my printer costs $225, which it did, I actually come out better buying cheaper toner even if one of every five is bad enough to ruin my printer. I had one bad cartridge out of a dozen, and it only made blotches on the page--no spewing. The math does not always come out in favor of name brand toners.

Mine is a $600 behemoth color laser with all the bells and whistles (prints and scans duplex and has a number of cool wireless features) that is no longer made. I big puffy heart love that thing. I abuse the devil out of it and it comes back for more. It is frequently sold used for nearly $1000 because of its reputation for being rock solid. So yeah, when the toner cartridge exploded, I cleaned her out...with 4 bottles of alcohol, countless microfiber rags, and a box and a half of Q tips. When I find Brother toner on sale, it's usually only $5 or $10 more than generic. I buy it and put it in the closet. I never just wait until I need it. Right now I have 2 black and a full set of color replacements in the closet. It doesn't go bad the way inkjet ink will. You just shake it really well before installing. There are also hacks for some of the older Brother lasers to use more of the toner than the printer is programmed to that just don't work on most generics. I usually get an extra 2500 pages out of a cartridge using those hacks, so in the end buying the real thing pays dividends for me using my specific model.

I am also conscious of the damage all the "just buy new" attitude in tech has done to the environment. Disposable printers are a big problem in that regard. Throwing out a printer that just needs to be cleaned is wasteful and environmentally irresponsible, imo.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a $600 behemoth color laser with all the bells and whistles (prints and scans duplex and has a number of cool wireless features) that is no longer made. I big puffy heart love that thing. I abuse the devil out of it and it comes back for more. It is frequently sold used for nearly $1000 because of its reputation for being rock solid. So yeah, when the toner cartridge exploded, I cleaned her out...with 4 bottles of alcohol, countless microfiber rags, and a box and a half of Q tips. When I find Brother toner on sale, it's usually only $5 or $10 more than generic. I buy it and put it in the closet. I never just wait until I need it. Right now I have 2 black and a full set of color replacements in the closet. It doesn't go bad the way inkjet ink will. You just shake it really well before installing. There are also hacks for some of the older Brother lasers to use more of the toner than the printer is programmed to that just don't work on most generics. I usually get an extra 2500 pages out of a cartridge using those hacks, so in the end buying the real thing pays dividends for me using my specific model.

I am also conscious of the damage all the "just buy new" attitude in tech has done to the environment. Disposable printers are a big problem in that regard. Throwing out a printer that just needs to be cleaned is wasteful and environmentally irresponsible, imo.

Care to share those hacks with me?  :)  Thanks!

I bought non name brand once.  It was awful.  But I will tell you, I bought name brand ink from Target last year that was crap!  You could see the product wasn't as good as previous.  And it died before emptying.  I won't even try cheap stuff for my new laser printer.  I try to get it from the office stores now to avoid the bad brand name stuff....hoping they send the bad stuff to Target lol