Menu

How do I add accountability?

NatashainDFW

I think the solution depends on why you aren't staying on track.  Are you over-planning and not getting it all done?  Under-planning and not getting much of anything done?  Over-committed outside the home and not putting in the time that's needed at home?

• Like 2

Workboxes helped immensely here for accountability for both my kids and for me. Their work was laid out in the boxes, so there was little arguing and no guessing about when they were done. And they turned in their work for me to check--so if I didn't check it, they weren't set up for the next day (except for things that didn't need to be turned in--ie readers etc...). So, it helped me keep on top of checking math etc... daily.

I made one of the boxes "time with Mom" so that we did our one on one tutoring. Usually I went over everything I had checked from the previous day, and then had them put it back in their boxes so they were set up for the day. It really helped things run smoothly here, and we had a lot fewer days where we "were tired" and stopped early. The kids worked more efficiently and became more independent--so I could focus my time with them on areas of true need.

• Like 3

So my 5th grader is doing the following: 

Math Mammoth

Using Life of Fred as enrichment

Writing and Rhetoric Narrative 2

Rod and Staff English 5 (only the grammar)

Biblioplan History

Elemental Science Bio for the Logic Stage

Latin for Children Primer A

The weekly logic and chess

The 1st grader is doing:

Math Mammoth

Life of Fred read to her

Writing With Ease 1

First Language Lessons 1

All About Reading 1 (almost done then moving to AAR2 and AAS1)

Biblioplan

Bio for Grammar stage

Song School Latin

Art

We aren't getting content subjects done and writing is one that we don't get to often enough.

I know quite a bit of it is just trying to keep my house from looking like a tornado struck on a daily basis which means I can't sit on top of him to get his work done. His sister also isn't helping because she wants to take 5 hours to do a math lesson. I HAVE to get us on track for their sake especially my oldest. We tried B&M public school and the daily anxiety attacks over the state test was exhausting for everyone and I am so nervous about the public k12 that we will deal with the same.

Unless your 10 or 6 year old is used to independent study, K12 VA isn't going to be helpful and might cause more stress getting their daily online work done.

We were with K12 public for three years. My youngest wakes up by 8am and gets things done. My oldest wakes up late but is independent. When my youngest is done, I could cook lunch and then grade my oldest's work.

You would have to plan your time with oldest two around your 2 year old's nap time.

Are you a naturally organized person? Or is this a difficult area for you?

You are worried about the household chores but maybe you need a more scheduled scenario so you don't let household chores become the focus. For instance, maybe commit to no or VERY limited housework before noon. Only what is absolutely necessary to function. Make a list. Certain things are not touched until afternoon or evening. Make a daily and weekly schedule and commit to it for yourself. Once you get your own responsibilities better organized, incorporate your older two. Assign them a couple of tasks they help you with. Start an apprenticeship where you train them to do those things the way you want them done. Lots of positive reinforcement. Don't make it a negative or a punishment. Enlist their help. And keep these things mainly for the afternoon.

In other words, focus on school first. Do content subjects first, and do them at the same time every day in the same order. Get a rhythm going so that subjects your oldest can do more independently are done while your younger is working with you on more teacher driven material.

Also, set a time limit. If your daughter is taking 5 hours for math something is wrong. Even a middle schooler shouldn't take that long. Is the curriculum a bad fit? Are they bored? Too many problems? Still needing more one on one instruction than you are able to give? Are your expectations too high? Too low? Were they placed wrong and need to go back a bit? Leap ahead? Look at tweaking the math program or even changing it altogether.

And make sure there is balance. I am not familiar with all the materials you listed so maybe you already have balance. I just wanted to mention that if every subject is very teacher intense and you are teaching at two different levels with a toddler in the mix that can be really hard to maintain. Maybe switch some things out or eliminate something altogether.

Maybe only do science in blocks. 2 blocks on, two off or something.

Perhaps have the younger one listen to audio books while they construct something with playdough or build with Legos. While they are occupied work with your older.

Sorry things are so stressful. Hopefully you can find a better routine. Good luck. :)

• Like 3

Math Mammoth

Biblioplan History

The 1st grader is doing:

Math Mammoth

Life of Fred read to her

Writing With Ease 1

First Language Lessons 1

Biblioplan

Bio for Grammar stage

Song School Latin

Art

I also do not see how enrollment in K12 is going to make a difference.

Here are my suggestions.

Do you have a system in place? Do your older children do a good job watching and entertaining the 2 yr old? Do you have a baby safe room where you can sit with the 6 yr old while the 2 yr old plays? I would baby gate myself into our family room and work with my younger kids while my toddlers played around us. I sit right beside them keeping them on task and focused. I point out the math problem and ask them the answer, etc. to keep them progressing through their lesson.

I found working with my youngest and finishing with them so they can go play was the most effective path for us. My older kids do what they can independently while I work with younger kids. (For example reading lit or history.) my first graders are only directly on task for about 1 1/2 hrs. Then they can help watch the younger kids while I focus on lessons with the older kids. After a lesson, the older kids can work on what we just covered while I do whatever household task I need to for a few minutes.

I would eliminate everything you have listed for the 1st grader from Biblioplan down. First graders do not need Latin or formal history and science. Just finding books to read to her for about 10 mins per day for science and history is enough. Get children's biographies or books on countries, point out locations on a globe or map for history. Read books about insects, birds, mammals, reptiles, plants, weather, etc for science.

What you have listed for 5th grade looks fine. I would drop logic first and then Latin if you can't get it all done. I would focus on getting them prepared to complete a lesson and then expect them to complete the assignment after helping them. I would work in their general area in case they need assistance and to keep them on task. Then I would teach them their next subject and repeat.

• Like 5

Do you have the worksheets or test booklet for Rod and Staff? Also, many of the sections require a written review. I can get a good 10-15 minutes in with youngest while oldest completes one of those.

I'll mirror what 8 said in terms of trying to give the older kid something more independent. I work with younger while oldest tackles a worksheet, test paper, essay question, narration/dictation, MM worksheets, copywork, spelling workout, Wordly wise...etc. Oldest has a laundry list of independent work that we later go over and discuss once younger is done. I tend to go back and forth between the two. The addition of a 2 yr old would mean teaching one while the other watches the 2 yr old, then switch, I'd think. I also think if you're struggling with the core stuff, you should drop a bit off the little one's plate. My youngest is going to be 1st in the fall. We have no plans for formal Latin, Science, History, or Art. I could never get all that content done and I'm not sure she would take away much from it at this point. We listen to SOTW audio over lunch for her..could that work?? She also ends up listening in on whatever older dd is doing, watching, hearing anyway so she's picking up a lot organically. 

You've gotten some good advice.  A couple things we've done here that have helped things stay on track - we implemented work boxes (as Merry suggested).  This was a visual for what needed to be done each day.  The kids were pretty quick to realize that once they were done, the rest of the day was theirs to do as they wished.  This was a huge motivator in our house.  They will now often get up and do work before breakfast, just to get it out of the way.  They are weird like that though. ;) 

I alternate teaching with one, while another does solo work.  If the one working solo finishes before I am done teaching, they go and spend some time with my youngest.  It helps to keep him amused and also gives them a short break. 

Another thing I started doing was going back to my cleaning routine from when I was working outside of the home.  When I worked Mon-Fri, all my cleaning was done on Saturday.  I had to remind myself to treat teaching as my job.  It needed my focus.  All of our house cleaning (aside from dishes, sweeping the floor and a few day to day chores) is done on Saturday now.  I also enlist the kids help. 

Math & LA elements are done daily, in the morning, as that is when we are most productive.  Science & Social may not always get done, but it's much easier to catch up on those subjects than trying to catch up on several days of math.  :) 

Oh, we also aim to start at 9am.  I am not super-strict on this and we have our "late" days, but the kids typically wake up at 7:30, so I encourage them to eat around 8am and then be ready for school around 9am.  At 9am, the tv and all electronics have to be turned off unless they are being used for school.  I found my kids were cranky, unfocused and uncooperative if they had too much tv, etc.  

Best of luck!!

Math Mammoth

Biblioplan History

The 1st grader is doing:

Math Mammoth

Life of Fred read to her

Writing With Ease 1

First Language Lessons 1

Biblioplan

Bio for Grammar stage

Song School Latin

Art

We aren't getting content subjects done and writing is one that we don't get to often enough.

I know quite a bit of it is just trying to keep my house from looking like a tornado struck on a daily basis which means I can't sit on top of him to get his work done. His sister also isn't helping because she wants to take 5 hours to do a math lesson. I HAVE to get us on track for their sake especially my oldest. We tried B&M public school and the daily anxiety attacks over the state test was exhausting for everyone and I am so nervous about the public k12 that we will deal with the same.

Let the house reach tornado status as you prioritize school in the mornings.  Before you feed them lunch, require them to put the tornado away.  Lather, Rinse, Repeat for afternoon messes at dinner. That will probably take 10-15min each time if you do that consistently.

5 hours to do a math lesson?  I'm guessing that you are exaggerating. Even so, it's time to rethink math.  She's the 1st grader, right?  Cap her math lessons at 20 minutes.  Go no longer!  (unless you are playing Go to the Dump or Muggins...)  She's telling you, in her 1st grade way, that the math is being presented doesn't click with her...or maybe that it's just too much.  Math Mammoth is a quality math program, but the same quality that makes MM perfect for the child who needs each and every step broken down and drilled is the quality that makes MM tedious and monotonous for children who enjoy seeing the over-arching concepts and discovering the bits & pieces.

What would happen if you dropped 1st grade math down to Life of Fred and games?  

I see that the 1st grader is doing WWE, FLL and AAR.  I highly recommend dropping other formal language arts programs until she is reading fairly fluently.  AAR and handwriting.  Read aloud to her.  You can pick WWE and FLL back up later.  It's a continuum of progress....she won't miss out on anything by waiting.  Besides, she does not gain as much from WWE and FLL if she's still working on learning to read. If that advice was not applicable, kindly disregard.

In summary, for the 1st grader:  20min of math, 20min of a reading lesson (AAR), and some handwriting and/or copywork.  Read aloud to her for about 2 hours every day, spread throughout the day, and you can combine most of this with her brother.  (Think of history and science as HIS lessons that she simply eaves drops on.)  Do NO more with her until there is peace in your heart and home.

Take a closer look at the 5th grader's workload too.  He may need his work spread out more thinly, he may need more hands-on help, or he may just need a clear daily plan.  Also, 20-30min is enough for any one lesson.  The Law of Diminishing Rewards begins to kick in, and he is better off putting away the book and beginning something fresh.

4th/5th grade is when I start having the child keep a checklist and a planner.  Learning how to use one of those *IS* a school lesson in and of itself.  Prioritize that, and you will reap the benefits through the rest of your day.  Workboxes are lovely, and would probably work well with only 2 students, at least your 1st grader.  I just use a planner for my big kids.  I use a rolling drawer cart for my 2yo, and I put various toddler play-things in her drawers.  I plan on this evolving into workboxes by kindergarten for her.

For this coming fall, I made daily planner pages with 30minute increments.  The kids will jot down what they are going to do and when (from my master plan), and b/c each thing is on a 30min time slot, they will see how the day will pass and work will eat into play time if they dawdle...or if they are efficient, they can cut about 10min of each time slot and gain some play time. This will (hopefully!!!) teach them to budget their time.  

• Like 2

The audio lecture by SWB on Teaching Children to Work Independently has several great ideas for staying on top of the kids and for keeping them moving in their work.

For math, I had a dawdler. Here are things that helped:

1) The daily agenda (with times) loosely laid out visually for the day. Learning the sense of time is something that takes time and practice. On our whiteboard, I have all the hours of the day laid out in a column, and I'd block off time (like "school" block, not each subject). I'd only let him sit and try to work on math for 30 minutes max, then he could work on something else and come back to math again, and if he didn't finish his work in the school block, he had to do it in his afternoon free time block. That cured both my later-elementary boys of dawdling & not moving on in their checklist on their own.

2) I'd send him out to run a lap around the yard if he got mopey or distracted or whiny or otherwise not paying attention & complainy. "Sounds like you need fresh air & exercise to clear your head! Go out, run to the fence and back, and try again." This usually took 3 times out before he'd be ready to sit and do his work.

3) When the concept was difficult, I did have to sit next to him the whole time to keep him moving forward and not just flubbing the whole page. I had to sit there and say, "And then what? Is that what you do next? Did you add those correctly? What's next?" It's annoying, but sometimes it has to be done. SWB calls it, "Parent at Elbow," and her saying that it's a necessary phase helped me deal with it and accept it.

• Like 2

So you have (1st grade) some very teacher intensive subjects. This is what I do:

Math Mammoth directions for the section (dark black heading) gets read and discussed. We do some samples. I circle the sections in that section that I want done. Hand him his abacus and say yell if you need me. I do check back in every five minutes. After 20 minutes he should be done or I do the rest orally later in the day. If there is dawdling then I let him sit longer, it's not hurting him any. Remember, you do not need to do everything in this curriculum if the child knows it. This is a obvious way that my son learned to stop dawdling. If he was quick then he's done quick and gets something new the next day. [With my oldest, his math involves some days where I have to do the "parent at elbow" asking "hmmm what should we do next". It's funny now though because he asks himself the questions to mock me since we've done it enough. If he's having an off day then I can tell by the second problem. I make him push through the third and then go do Khan Academy. You could have him do Fred.] I made a mistake with my oldest by making him to everything in MM when he didn't need it. I even supplemented. It was too much. I was so worried about holes. It taught him that if he worked faster then mom would add more of the same. We have fixed this with a set amount each day in a planner so he can see it.

Song School Latin: My son started the dvd in the computer himself. Both boys watched while the workbook sat on the oldest boys lap. After it ended they knew to go start the wkbk. It's almost the same every lesson so after a few lessons they should be able to get started themselves. We played the songs in the car or during lunch every day.

WWE1 is parent intensive on the narrative days. The others are copy after a quick discussion. I discuss spelling, phonics (for refreshing), and punctuation briefly. Sometimes I have told them to mark the original sentence phonically after copying. It buys me a few more minutes to flip by eggs and cook the toast.

These are the only curriculum we have used of yours. I've heard FLL and All About curriculums to be parent intensive. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

I would make it the 1st grader's priority to entertain the 2 yr old when she's done with each subject. If it helps you can have her listen to Little House on the Prairie series to show how helpful it is when the older entertains the younger for mother. :) When you are at a break with the oldest call her back to start the next thing. Also, she could be set up after the MM discussion to finish the lesson and go straight to SSL without help. Just watch from a distance unless she calls.

Lastly, I do laundry at night during commercials. Everyone is responsible for getting their stuff to the laundry room when needed. Dishes are done during quiet hour which is after lunch. We are a team when it comes to picking up things left out. Everyone helps continuously. I dust and deep clean on off days.

To add accountability find a buddy who is willing to check in with you weekly to talk about how things are going.  

Also I would simplify what you are doing with your 1st grader,  do a 20 minute math lesson set a timer for 20 minutes and be done.  I think you should drop WWE and FLL until DD doesn't need a reading program.   I would not do a science, history  or latin program I would do something like Draw Write Now which will cover handwriting, art, general science and history.    

Make sure your kids are doing chores and not just clean their room my kids are 6 & 8 have to clean their bedroom & bathroom and do 2 family chores a day. Do not do your chores during school time until your kids are proven independent workers it wastes sooo much more time.  

When I say she will take 5 hours to do her math I am in no way kidding. She will sit in front of one page of her math mammoth book and take 5 hours to get through it. I am trying to get her to quit dawdling and just work because when she doesn't dawdle she flies through the page and gets most of it correct. I can't justify moving her forward when she honestly doesn't have her addition facts down. She joins in for biblioplan so her work is literally coloring while I read, joining in on the discussion and then weekly she does an art project and map work so that really isn't much if we get to it. She is only doing Latin because she asks for it. I work in the evenings so relegating all the household chores to the evening would leave me doing chores after coming in at nearly midnight like what happened last night. I know part of this is getting my home in order so that it is just upkeep but I am struggling to get there.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

The fact that you work at night changes things a bit.  That obviously makes it much harder.  Still, with a 1st grader especially, I would focus on getting her stuff done before doing the bulk of any chores.  And do it together.  Work collaboratively and be as upbeat and positive as possible.  Kids that age still frequently need a lot of guidance and support and an upbeat attitude about learning.  

Just having her sit for 5 hours trying to get her to do the work is obviously not motivating her to move more quickly and is causing you stress and irritation.  I would either switch to a different program or cut way down on the problems or both.  I would also do them together, maybe on a dry erase board for a while.  Incorporate some mathy games that you and the two older kids can do together maybe every Friday or something. If her motivation is gone, and maybe she is struggling with math facts a bit, then just leaving her sitting in front of those pages for hours on end obviously is not getting her going.  Showing her that math can be fun and have purpose might.

Maybe you could look at doing just more mathy games over the summer instead of trying to drag her through more MM.  MM is a great program but it can be a lousy fit for some kids.  It certainly was for mine.  She may need a sort of detox period to get over her view of math as drudgery, something to drag her feet on.  And I would limit time spent.  Just say o.k. 30 minutes today and then we stop.  Or if you want to continue with a formal math program pick 10 problems to do together and stop after those 10.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

When I say she will take 5 hours to do her math I am in no way kidding. She will sit in front of one page of her math mammoth book and take 5 hours to get through it. I am trying to get her to quit dawdling and just work because when she doesn't dawdle she flies through the page and gets most of it correct. I can't justify moving her forward when she honestly doesn't have her addition facts down. She joins in for biblioplan so her work is literally coloring while I read, joining in on the discussion and then weekly she does an art project and map work so that really isn't much if we get to it. She is only doing Latin because she asks for it. I work in the evenings so relegating all the household chores to the evening would leave me doing chores after coming in at nearly midnight like what happened last night. I know part of this is getting my home in order so that it is just upkeep but I am struggling to get there.

What are you doing while she sits there for 5 hrs? I sit beside my little ones and point to the question in the book, ask them what it is asking and ask them the answer, then they write the answer down. They can't dawdle or day dream b/c I am keeping them focused and on task.

I would still drop Latin. There is very little progress that a 6 yr old can make in Latin that makes it at all worthwhile. If you say you aren't getting everything done, that is absolutely one thing that does not need to be done that opens up room for the things that do need to be done.

FWIW, routine is everything in our household in terms of functioning. For example, I wake up and throw in a load of laundry. I fold laundry while calling out spelling words, etc. I have a very definite routine and stick to it. (Dinner is in the crock pot on busy days.) Grocery shopping is on set days, etc. Routine keeps me disciplined.

• Like 1

None of my first graders did math independently. They just weren't ready to focus and work independently yet. I found I could let them sit a long, long time, or I could sit by them and do it together and have the whole thing over in 20 minutes. We would snuggle on the couch, and my kids would say the answer and I'd write it for them. Then we moved toward taking turns writing the answers while I sat there, and eventually them writing while I sat there (and then eventually them doing math while I folded laundry as a "contest" to see who could get done first). Give as much help as she needs to help her get done.

With my 2nd child, I didn't even use a math workbook every day. I did it every other day, and on the opposite days I had her sitting at a table, playing with math manipulatives. Some days she used counting bears, some days cuisenaire rods, some days pattern blocks or a geo board or base 10 blocks etc... And when I say play, I mean undirected, unstructured play. It was a way of giving her something independent to do, and I actually do feel that it helped her understand some math concepts in new ways. 

Anyway--it's a much less stressful, more enjoyable time to simply sit with her for 20 minutes & call it done whether she can finish or not (it's fine to take 2 days to do a worksheet & have it take longer than a year if need be).

• Like 1

I would not allow a child of any age to take 5 hours to do anything.

If it's taking her that long, something is wrong. It's the wrong methodology for her, it's too easy, it's too hard, it's something.

I would not expect a 6yo child to have all of her addition facts completely memorized.

Writing With Ease 1, First Language Lessons 1, All About Reading 1 is a boatload of English-related stuff for a little person who is only 6.

• Like 1

:huh: to letting a six year old sit in front of a math book unhappy for five hours. You're getting good advice in this thread, but I think you need a homeschool intervention. And I mean you, the parent, not the kids. When a 6 yo has this level of issue with the subject, it's really time to rethink.

This probably sounds crazy, but I think you need to stop and deschool yourselves for a few weeks before starting again (if you school year round, that is). Get the house in order. Get some new curriculum options for the things that really aren't working, like, say, that 1st grade Math Mammoth. Make a new system. Go on a few field trips, watch some documentaries, do a poetry tea, spend an afternoon at the library. Enjoy each other and learning because it sounds like right now you're all miserable. And perhaps most importantly, buy each school aged kid a timer.

Then, go by the timer when you do school. A first grader's math shouldn't be more than half an hour unless they're super motivated or playing games. Other things would also probably benefit if you went by time and not "lesson." Some days a kid will get a ton done that way and some days they won't. And that's totally okay.

Also, sit with them to do their work. I know it's hard, but it's necessary. If you have to plop the two year old in front of Daniel Tiger to make sure everyone does math, it's worth it. Don't worry about the dishes or the state of the house or anything else. Your commitment is to getting school running efficiently.

• Like 5

Are there any learning issues for anyone or suspected learning issues? I'm not going to excoriate you for kids that take forever. I have those kids too, but there are definite learning issues that require us to ignore a lot of conventional wisdom and do things differently.

Also, MM was meant to be used crossing out half of the problems or using them as review at a later date. IIRC, Maria has herself spoken about this in FAQs or on her website.

• Like 1

Farrar's advice is very, very good. You brought your children home to unburden them from the stresses of state testing, yet your little girl sits with a math page for five hours? This is not why you brought her home.

Do a hard reset, a screeching halt, an entire about face -- take the break and enjoy your children without school stress for a few weeks.

Then start back committed to making sure your little girl makes not one move toward getting her education without YOU at her elbow, supporting her, teaching her, and cheering her on. 20-30 minutes of that kind of math, 5 days per week, will move her forward. It must. And she will be happier and healthier by far.

You can do this.

One way to manage the school day is to set up a single toddler safe room where he can play El Destructo all he wants without messing up the whole house. And then you can clean it up for tomorrow, at whatever time you find possible, or just shut the door.

Another time saver is to get up early and fix lunchboxes for the children, and throw something in the crockpot. That way you can spend every minute of school time with them, eat lunch together, and tidy up the kitchen while they have a little recess. Supper will be ready; serve, eat, load the dishwasher -- easy peasy. If you need to use paper plates while you get your routines down it's worth it. Ditto for abominations like uncrustables or TV dinners. Get the routines and then work on quality.

• Like 4

Stop at 20 minutes.  It does not matter how far she gets on the page.  It matters that she has some sort of satisfaction, if not affection, for math.

Stop all MM.  Really.  It's not working for her.

Play store with her.  Set up a pretend store at your kitchen table.  Buy 4 apples and 2 oranges.  They cost $1 a piece, so how much do you owe?  Take the facts that you want her to learn and P.L.A.Y!!!  You could play for an hour, save four hours, and she'll have those facts down within a week, I'm sure!

Win Mommy's Money!  This is a game I made up to teach $$$.  I start with if you can tell me the name of the coin, you can keep it.  Once they know the names, I ask the name and how much it's worth. Once they know the name of the coin and how much it's worth, I begin putting two coins together and asking them to add.  I keep making the game harder and harder.  My 12yo still asks to play occasionally...it usually coincides with a desired trip to the Ice Cream Shop with his friends...  It's a fun game, and they learn money, and + and - very well through it, and it's probably still cheaper (to give them all my loose change) than to buy a dozen math currics (which I have also done).

If you do workboxes, put a baggie of coins in one of the bins for Win Mommy's Money.  Put play money and a cashier's apron for playing store.  

Let her play at splashmath.com  (or another math website) in the evenings while you work.

Try Miquon Math, Rightstart Math, or MEP math in the fall.  

• Like 4

Stop at 20 minutes.  It does not matter how far she gets on the page.  It matters that she has some sort of satisfaction, if not affection, for math.

Stop all MM.  Really.  It's not working for her.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

• Like 1

Today I sat with her every minute of her math. I normally am bouncing between her and her brothers. It is painfully obvious she needs more manipulatives for math so I got some stuff out for her and things were much better. She isn't unhappy to sit there either. She is a strange one. She colors on her paper, plays with anything she can get her hands on etc. but of course that isn't helping. I am going to switch some stuff up for her especially after really focusing on what was going on here. We are taking the rest of the weekend and then coming back with a timer in hand. She and I can be done with her specific work in about an hour and then I can focus on her older brother while she and the toddler play. I am going to alternate science and history during the toddler's quiet/nap time. I think that just using a timer for her school work will do everyone some good vs. assigning a set number or pages. Thank you ladies. I can't just drop math mammoth altogether but I think this will be a better option. (we tried MEP and she absolutely hated it) If anyone has any insights on how to make miquon work I would gladly listen because I have all 6 books but cannot for the life of me figure out how the program works.

• Like 1

If anyone has any insights on how to make miquon work I would gladly listen because I have all 6 books but cannot for the life of me figure out how the program works.

Do you have only the student books, or do you also have the Teacher Lab Notations?

Today I sat with her every minute of her math. I normally am bouncing between her and her brothers. It is painfully obvious she needs more manipulatives for math so I got some stuff out for her and things were much better. She isn't unhappy to sit there either. She is a strange one. She colors on her paper, plays with anything she can get her hands on etc. but of course that isn't helping. I am going to switch some stuff up for her especially after really focusing on what was going on here. We are taking the rest of the weekend and then coming back with a timer in hand. She and I can be done with her specific work in about an hour and then I can focus on her older brother while she and the toddler play. I am going to alternate science and history during the toddler's quiet/nap time. I think that just using a timer for her school work will do everyone some good vs. assigning a set number or pages. Thank you ladies. I can't just drop math mammoth altogether but I think this will be a better option. (we tried MEP and she absolutely hated it) If anyone has any insights on how to make miquon work I would gladly listen because I have all 6 books but cannot for the life of me figure out how the program works.

Get the Miquon teacher's books.  There are 3 of them.

You have cuisenaire rods then?  Let her play with the math rods.  Build towers and trains, stick people, a flower, etc... Let her play while you read the teacher's materials.  In the Teacher's Notes, there is a section on observing the child's rod play and what that means.  In the First Grade Diary, you get a real feel for how Lore Rasmussen taught and used the lab sheets.  

Right now, she's a compliant young child - happy to sit there.  But she's not learning math, and she's not even learning discipline.  She's learning how to cope (play with anything she can get her hands on).  Join her in her play, happily, and actively teach...with all those things she's anxious to get her hands on.  

You can drop MM.  You might be nervous about doing math without a worksheet, but you can.  Look ahead at the next concept.  Teach that concept, just you and your child with some C rods on the table.  Same with MEP.  Especially at 5/6/7yo, you don't need to do the wb pages.  Do the lesson plan work, and put some of the wb problems on the white board and do the rest orally.

Note:  Both MEP and MM have page lay-outs that are busy and overwhelming for some young children.  That is one of the pros for Miquon. It's one concept on a page, and the early books have huge writing, 

• Like 2

I have the Lab annotations but not the first grade diary. I am just very confused by it

By the Lab Annotations or the FGD? The Diary is a narrative account of what one teacher and class did with Miquon for a year. If you're having trouble picturing Miquon, it can be the resource for you.

The Annotations seemed weird and superfluous to me when we first started Miquon. It became more and more useful as we went on. If I could go back in time and tell myself how to use it, I would tell myself about how we ended up using Miquon later, which was that every day I picked a page and he picked a page from the lab book (or, most days, anyway). He could pick a page from any thread that we had started. The threads are those letters on the bottom of the pages. To start a thread, I pulled out the Annotations and looked at the opening activities and did them. You could also add things from Education Unboxed as well. And then if we were having trouble then I would go back to the Annotations to get ideas for teaching the topic again or reviewing it.

• Like 1