Menu

Can I use human shampoo on my dog just this once?

Daria

My dog stinks like he rolled in a dead animal.  It happened rather suddenly and it makes no sense because he's an apartment dog and only goes out on a leash.  I assume that if there were a dead animal in my apartment, I'd smell it, and I don't know how he would have rolled in one on his walk without the person walking him noticing.

Anyway, I really don't want to go out to the store tonight.  But he stinks so bad he's locked in the bathroom because I certainly don't want him on my carpets and furniture or trying to cuddle!

Can I wash him with people shampoo? Can I use people conditioner afterwards to get the tangles out? I don't have any dog shampoo because we usually go to the groomer when he needs a bath.  

Don't tell anyone, but we use Dawn on our dog.  Good enough for oiled birds, good enough for her, I figure.  She only gets bathed once every few months, but this is what I've always used on my dogs, and none of them has ever complained.

• Like 2

It's absolutely fine to use human shampoo on your dog as often as you want to (or need to).

The newest studies indicate there's a pretty good range for the pH of dogs' skin, and it correlates rather nicely with the pH of most human shampoos and conditioners.

My dog's breeder, who is very active in the dog show world, uses Pantene and Dove products on her show dogs.  I've heard of other show dog people who use the same products.  Some of the Infusium products also seem to be very popular.

And FWIW -- it's okay to use your dog's shampoo on humans.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Dh is a vet. We have easy access to cheap/free vet shampoos . . .  So, we generally have a bottle of "good stuff" on hand . . . Nonetheless, we'll often use people shampoo if the dog shampoo isn't near the dog in question.

Occasionally, a dog has sensitive skin or "skin issues". In those cases, using a special shampoo can be very important.

For most healthy dogs, normal human shampoo works just fine. Personally, I like to use fairly cheap shampoo -- double washing -- along with a fairly cheap conditioner. 

In any event, unless you have a very rare skin issue dog, your dog will not be harmed by being washed with people shampoo. Worst case, he gets dry or itchy skin, then swing b the vet this week and pick up some "good stuff" (along with some "good stuff" conditioner or cream rinse.)

Happy shampooing!!

• Like 2

OK, here's what I've got in the house, which would you use.

CVS generic brand version of dial antibacterial soap

CVS generic brand version of lemon dish soap

Suave Rosemary and Mint shampoo and conditioner

Organic Olive Oil Creamy Aloe shampoo

I'd go with one of the last two.  Definitely skip the antibacterial stuff.

Which one smells best?  ;)

• Like 2

If after a good bathing he still smells badly, consider that he may have an ear infection or yeast infection. Both can appear suddenly and can smell like dead animal, fish, or fritos. If the ears are fine, try Malapet shampoo- it works miracles with yeast infections.

If your dog still stinks after a bath, it also could have full an@l glands. Especially if the odor varies from mild to unbearable. My vet friend instantly knew that was the problem when my previous dog had an intermittent terrible odor for no other apparent reason. If that's a possibility in your case, it costs a vet tech about $12 to empty the anal glands around here and more for the vet to do it. My vet friend taught me how to do it. Very grotesque, but saves $$$.

I use generic baby shampoo on our dog all the time. Haven't bought dog shampoo in years. Last I did it was to try to cure my previous dog of the terrible odor described above and it didn't work.

I heard the other day that "no tears" on shampoo does not mean crying tears. It means hair being torn. BUT I am seeing the opposite on my searches. Makes you wonder. Maybe at one point it meant the other. Surely they say it aloud sometimes and they don't sound the same.

We have washed our kitty in Dawn (when she had fleas).

It means safe for the eyes. The phrase is inside a teardrop. http://www.johnsonsprofessional.com/johnsons-baby/no-more-tears

J&J also makes a No More Tangles product. Maybe that?

We use diluted peppermint Dr. Bronners to get out Dead Thing. I try to use a washcloth/small towel to wipe suds off from their eye area before rinsing just in case.

Anal glands is a good idea to check. It smells like hot, liquid lava a$$. We had one girl who had to get hers expressed every so often. The vet tried to teach us how, but neither of us could. Hers would go from fine to crazy full overnight. Once she needed minor surgery to clean it out and antibiotics. No warning signs (licking area constantly, scooting butt on floor) at all except she expressed some of it on the bed (of course) and it was bloody.

I hope you find the cause of the stink, and it's something benign!

I heard the other day that "no tears" on shampoo does not mean crying tears. It means hair being torn.

Whoever told you that is full of baloney. Kid and baby shampoos regularly say "no tears" on commercials and include it on the packaging--and it's no mystery which meaning they're using.

"Introduced in 1953, JOHNSON’S® baby shampoo was the first specially formulated product to be as mild to a baby's eyes as pure water. We know just how different a baby's still developing eyes are, and we also know that they need to be protected from potential irritation—like accidental splashes in the bath or during shampooing."