Menu

"Snuggly" curriculum

Targhee

Sounds weird, I know, but I don't know how else to describe what I am looking for.  My dd8 needs lots of face-to-face and physical touch time to fill her little emotional reservoir. This really isn't my natural style.  I already feel so pressed for time, and that my attention is completely parceled out, so I want the time we have for school to incorporate this dynamic as much as it conveniently can.

I am planning 3rd grade for her, and I am looking for curriculum that allows this one-on-one, snuggle-up interaction.  It doesn't have to be this way overtly, just easily amenable to "snuggly."  I also have two other students and a preschooler, all three of whom need me during the day, so I need something that is also pretty streamlined and grab-and-go, and doesn't involve drawn out sessions or intricate/messy projects.  

We are set for math and science (these aren't "snuggly" but they work). We do family read aloud time, and bedtime reading together.  So language (writing, spelling, literature, grammar) and history ideas?  So far all my brainstorming has come up with is MCT Island.  Any other ideas?

MCT Island, Story of the World for history with historical fiction selections for literature, or Sonlight/Bookshark

Snuggly math and sciencesupplements:

Math is CATegorical

Basher Math and science books

Penrose the Mathematical cat

Life of Fred Elementary

Sir Cumference books

Marilyn Burns Brainy Day books

The Elements and iPad app (not a story, but cool to explore together)

All of these would just be read alouds-sit, read together, talk, and snuggle. If you're fully covering math, you wouldn't even necessarily need to use Fred as anything more than a silly storybook.

• Like 2

MCT Island, Story of the World for history with historical fiction selections for literature, or Sonlight/Bookshark

Snuggly math and sciencesupplements:

Math is CATegorical

Basher Math and science books

Penrose the Mathematical cat

Life of Fred Elementary

Sir Cumference books

Marilyn Burns Brainy Day books

The Elements and iPad app (not a story, but cool to explore together)

All of these would just be read alouds-sit, read together, talk, and snuggle. If you're fully covering math, you wouldn't even necessarily need to use Fred as anything more than a silly storybook.

I will have to look at Bookshark again.  I have reservations about it though, because I have elements already in place that I don't really want to change (science and math), and I have heard their language arts is kind of weak (?).  That, and I don't know that I can read aloud for everything.  What other ways to get snuggly and one-on-one?  Anyway to do this with writing? 

Thanks for the math/science suggestions - we have nearly everything on your list, all good stuff - but we are set for math and science.  I don't want to fix something that isn't broken for us, and that we have a great routine in.

Have you looked at Treasured Conversations?

Thank you. I haven't yet, though I hear a lot of buzz about it right now.  How "open-and-go" is it? Also, can I do it in short (20-30 min max) sessions?  I have three kids with ADHD and preschooler, and even if the one I am working with is paying attention, someone else's impulsivity usually means we can't go that long without interruption and me having to switch to someone else.

My son is the same way.  He is nine and in third grade.  Here are the things that we were able to do snuggle-on-the-coach style:

ELTL 2

MCT grammar island

Most of TC (needed to be at the table for copy work and optional 5th day writing)

Parts of WR Fable

Beast Academy Guide

Strayer Upton

Living math books

LOF

CHOW (read, narrate, discuss)

A Child's Introduction to Art

Killgallon Sentence Composing (orally)

We usually start with morning time at breakfast and then move to the couch to do some read-alouds.  Then, when it's time for math or LA, we start with what we can do on the couch and then move to the table.  But by then we have had lots of snuggle time and our brains are nice and warmed up.  The table work is not a fight at all.  He will do some independent work at the table while I read with my 7 year old girls.  So, we move around and mix it up. 

I have found that if we are at the table and I rub or scratch his back while we are working on something, that fills his emotional touch tank for awhile too.  

We are using Wayfarers guide next year as well and I'm sure that will lend itself well to snuggling in.  

• Like 1

Thank you. I haven't yet, though I hear a lot of buzz about it right now.  How "open-and-go" is it? Also, can I do it in short (20-30 min max) sessions?  I have three kids with ADHD and preschooler, and even if the one I am working with is paying attention, someone else's impulsivity usually means we can't go that long without interruption and me having to switch to someone else.

TC is open-and-go and 20-30 min sessions should work fine.  Your child may have to do the copywork at the end independently, but you should be able to cover a good chunk of the discussion and sentence play in that time.

• Like 1

Charlotte Mason

www.amblesideonline.org

Like I said above, I'm not looking to revamp what is working (math, science, our daily routines/schedule, curriculum and approaches for the other kids), so I don't think I want to embrace and adopt AO/CM approach entirely. Is there one aspect of this you think would be easy to plug into my 3rd grader's school year?

I haven't seen level 3 in person, but a I think English Lessons Through Literature could be a snuggly type of curriculum reading together. I am planning on using level 2 like that next year. You can see samples on lulu.com.

Thank you for this suggestion. I have taken a cursory look at ELTL, but I ran into the fact that we either had already read one of the books previously, or that we tried a story and didn't care for it. I will look again at 3rd grade though. Is it easy to do in 20-30 minutes?

Any type of read-alouds are snuggly. But don't limit yourself to things that sound snuggly. At my home we have done math orally for years. It's amazing how precalc can turn into couch time with my oldest who is severely dysgraphic. Math with some of my kids is table work, others do it on the couch with me. My youngest even likes to turn spelling into snuggle time - he props his feet up on me to write the spelling words and then gives be hugs between every 2-3 words.

With my snugglers, I just take a pile of work to the couch and say come do schoolwork. For written work, if they start working on their own, I walk away and tell them to call me back for more reading after they finish whatever they are doing.

• Like 3

Sounds weird, I know, but I don't know how else to describe what I am looking for.  My dd8 needs lots of face-to-face and physical touch time to fill her little emotional reservoir. This really isn't my natural style.  I already feel so pressed for time, and that my attention is completely parceled out, so I want the time we have for school to incorporate this dynamic as much as it conveniently can.

I am planning 3rd grade for her, and I am looking for curriculum that allows this one-on-one, snuggle-up interaction.  It doesn't have to be this way overtly, just easily amenable to "snuggly."  I also have two other students and a preschooler, all three of whom need me during the day, so I need something that is also pretty streamlined and grab-and-go, and doesn't involve drawn out sessions or intricate/messy projects.  

We are set for math and science (these aren't "snuggly" but they work). We do family read aloud time, and bedtime reading together.  So language (writing, spelling, literature, grammar) and history ideas?  So far all my brainstorming has come up with is MCT Island.  Any other ideas?

Understanding Writing is one-on-one, and it's very streamlined and ready to go.

KONOS and the Prairie Primer provide lots of interaction and it's easy to include the littles. Both do everything except English skills and arithmetic.

• Like 2

We did dd's 3rd grade grammar using FLL3 side by side on her bed, each with our book.  It took 10-15 per day, 2-3 days per week.  She said she loved grammar, but I always thought she really just liked the one-on-one time with mommy.  :)

Thank you for this suggestion. I have taken a cursory look at ELTL, but I ran into the fact that we either had already read one of the books previously, or that we tried a story and didn't care for it. I will look again at 3rd grade though. Is it easy to do in 20-30 minutes?

The others that mentioned it here could probably answer this better. I only got the book a little over a week ago in the mail. I looks like it would be easy to do in 20-30 min. I have read of others using the free audio books on librivox for the chapter reading and then doing everything else together. Outside of the chapter reading in level 2, there is only 2-3 pages to read and discuss together in most lessons and then there is copy work assigned each lesson. It is set up for 3 days a week.

ELTL 2 takes us about a half hour to 45 minutes, if we do it ALL together.

10-15 min to read the literature selection

5-10 min to read the fable and the poem

5-10 min to explain the grammar lesson and do the exersise

5-10 min to do the copywork

Of course you can use librivox for the lit. selection, and you could assign the grammar exersise and copywork as independent work. I've done either/both at times and it can cut your active teaching time to a lean 10 or so minutes. Not bad for a 3 day a week program. But then it's less snuggly.

• Like 1

I spoke with the author of ELTL, and it doesn't really matter if you've read the books already. We actually plan to read all the of the selections over the summer. This will free me up a bit as I'll be doing so much reading with my second grader and kindergartener in other subjects and for pleasure. I would think too, if you didn't like a selection, you could treat the copywork as others do in programs like WWE where it's just an excerpt and you move on or find a different bit to copy from something else you're reading.

Sounds weird, I know, but I don't know how else to describe what I am looking for. My dd8 needs lots of face-to-face and physical touch time to fill her little emotional reservoir. This really isn't my natural style. I already feel so pressed for time, and that my attention is completely parceled out, so I want the time we have for school to incorporate this dynamic as much as it conveniently can.

I am planning 3rd grade for her, and I am looking for curriculum that allows this one-on-one, snuggle-up interaction. It doesn't have to be this way overtly, just easily amenable to "snuggly." I also have two other students and a preschooler, all three of whom need me during the day, so I need something that is also pretty streamlined and grab-and-go, and doesn't involve drawn out sessions or intricate/messy projects.

We are set for math and science (these aren't "snuggly" but they work). We do family read aloud time, and bedtime reading together. So language (writing, spelling, literature, grammar) and history ideas? So far all my brainstorming has come up with is MCT Island. Any other ideas?

I have a similar type daughter. One of our snuggle subjects is math now. We use Beast Academy. Doesn't really work with MM but reading the comics together in BA has been a blast. She also likes to snuggle next to me on the couch while I work with her sister on reading and ELTL. TC is definitely a snugly program.

How "open-and-go" is it? Also, can I do it in short (20-30 min max) sessions? 

TC is extremely open & go as long as you printed the student sheets out ahead of time. (I printed them a few weeks in advance as we went through.)

Our sessions were never longer than 30 minutes and often were less. I did break up a few lessons into smaller pieces (and combined some lessons in the 3rd section of the book) because there was too much to do in one sitting for my kids. In general, however, it took 15-20 minutes at a sitting. The copywork was sometimes long, but I assume you feel comfortable enough to cut it down as appropriate for your kid.

We're also loving the interactions in Beast Academy with all the puzzles. I'm finding so many cool uses for my math manipulatives and games I haven't used in years (e.g., Blokus, Dominoes, Pattern Blocks, Toothpicks!). 

Read-alouds are also our snuggle time - with each other, the dogs and/or the cats, blankets, etc.

To be honest, if you are not a huge snuggle person, then plan to break up the "snuggle time" with alone time, or you may go crazy. ;) That's what I have to do.

• Like 1

Aesop's Fables from Royal Fireworks Press. http://www.rfwp.com/series/aesops-fables-books-about-reading-writing-thinking

My snuggly boy loves these. They are deeper than they look. Cathy Duffy has a review that might help you decide if the age will work. http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/aesops-fables-reading-writing-thinking.htm 

And yes, MCT is very snuggly. 

Literature--this might be a good fit. I haven't used it yet. http://www.rfwp.com/series/suppose-the-wolf-were-an-octopus-guides-to-creative-questioning

History--http://www.rfwp.com/book/from-pirates-to-astronauts-american-history-for-gifted-classes-grades-3-7 We will try this next year as it corresponds to our history. One sample lesson has a child imagine they are in the stock in Plymouth colony, and it has some questions for them to answer, suggestions for leading them through the thinking, etc. The topics covered include pirates, Christmas (colonial), Betsy Ross, Ben Franklin, Whaling, Gold, Pony Express, Slavery, Civil War maps, etc.

I think "read and discuss" when I think "snuggly," so that is how I chose to answer.

We do CAP Writing and Rhetoric together. This could qualify. We love it!

I hadn't thought about W&R. I have used 2 books, but I guess because my other student doesn't like (read: abhors/dreads/loathes) writing it hasn't been snuggly. But I think I can see how it might be for my 3rd grader. Thanks!