Menu

Recent audiobooks you've loved? So much driving.

I have audible credits sitting idle. Looking for the boy;  we heard Maze Runner last which he loved but I did not ( at all) so I had to hand the earphones. Fiction, non fiction, anything.  I need to feel better about all the driving...

For myself, I'm listening to the dramatized Life and Fate; I did not know about the BBC dramatized series.

A couple of our family's favorite audiobooks have been Treasure Island and The Scarecrow and His Servant by Phillip Pullman.  We also really liked The Ruby in the Smoke by Pullman, but not the rest of that series.  Super great voices, super great villains, engrossing listening.

My 5th grade son really enjoyed the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody. Warning: there's 8 of them and you might not want to listen to that many. I enjoyed the first couple and then let the kids listen to the rest on their own. 

Swallows and Amazons series was a hit here too, as were the "Hero's Guide" books. 

Mr. Lincoln's High-Tech War: How the North Used the Telegraph, Railroads, Surveillance Balloons, Ironclads, High-Powered Weapons, and More to Win the Civil War

Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal- the World's Most Dangerous Weapon

• Like 2

A couple of our family's favorite audiobooks have been Treasure Island and The Scarecrow and His Servant by Phillip Pullman. We also really liked The Ruby in the Smoke by Pullman, but not the rest of that series. Super great voices, super great villains, engrossing listening.

Hi, We are doing Scarecrow now as one of his read alouds (per an earlier recommendation from you) and so loving it! I meant to start a thread thanking you but here it is :) thank you!

Will download Treasure Island. ETA which audio version did you love of this? Thanks again!

• Like 1

How to Train Your Dragon - It's 11 books and David Tennant

Wee Free Men

Something narrated by Stephen Fry? Even my oldest enjoyed Paddington read by Stephen Fry

We liked the Benedict Society books, but disliked the audiobook narrator something fierce.

George's Secret Key to the Universe series by Stephen Hawking

The Notorious Benedict Arnold (or something like that)

All the Wrong Questions (series)

Hi, We are doing Scarecrow now as one of his read alouds (per an earlier recommendation from you) and so loving it! I meant to start a thread thanking you but here it is :) thank you!

Will download Treasure Island. ETA which audio version did you love of this? Thanks again!

It's so great, isn't it? The audio version is even better, the voices are hysterical.  

We really, really love the Treasure Island read by Alfred Molina, which is the Amazon Audiobooks edition, so I think you are in luck! He did the voices and accents really well.  We listened to this on a long, long road trip, and the whole family really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

My kids are 8, 8 and nearly 6 and all three LOVE the Ramona series, Henry Higgins series and Matilda by Roald Dahl. Might be too old and too young for your kids but I thought I'd mention them because the Ramona and Henry books are all available as a set - 1 credit each. I'm all about most hours for audible credits lol! Also, another really long one is The Once and Future King and the rest of the series. A million hours for one credit ;)

We also liked Swallows and Amazons and Treasure Island. We're working our way through the SOTWs presently.

We also did Gregor the Overlander which was good. And we finally got through Heidi...

We're doing a lot of extra driving lately too.

Swallows and Amazons series was a hit here too, as were the "Hero's Guide" books. 

We love the "Hero's Guide" books! The narrator does such a great job with all of the voices.

Books that we liked as audiobooks:

Artemis Fowl series read by Nathaniel Parker

How to Train Your Dragon series read by David Tennant

The Edge Chronicles read by John Lee

The Sister's Grimm Series

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman

We are about to start The Dark is Rising Sequence, the narrator sounded very good on the sample.

• Like 1

We listened to The Moffats (Estes) and The Secret Garden on our last road trip.  Bear in mind, DD is 7, so these might be too young for yours, but I enjoyed them! 

The Moffats - talk about some free-range kids! 

At the end of The Secret Garden, DD just sighed, "Wow."  She couldn't discuss it further.  What a great book.

We have also enjoyed Charlotte's Web, read by EB White himself, and several Beverly Cleary books.  DH liked Henry Huggins

My kids love, love, love the entire Penderwicks series. The narrator is just wonderful. 

http://www.amazon.com/Penderwicks-Summer-Sisters-Rabbits-Interesting/dp/B000EBGCP2/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1430917371

Likewise, we also all loved the Gregor the Overlander audiobooks- a different but equally as amazing narrator for those too. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gregor-Overlander-Underland-Chronicles-Book/dp/B000DN5UPY/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1430917417

Finally, we just started Chains. So far we are all enthralled and learning quite a bit as well: 

http://www.amazon.com/Chains/dp/B001J1M5M0/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1430917514

• Like 1

Seconding the Albert Molina version of Treasure Island!

Rob Inglis' version of the Hobbit is a great favorite here.

My kids love D'Aulaires Greek Myths and Black Beauty and James Herriot's Treasury for Children

We love Beatix Potter too.

• Like 2

If you're a Princess Bride fan, Carey Elwes' book about making the Princess Bride is so fun. Many of the cast members and production staff came back to read their parts and well it's lovely.

I've also enjoyed Professor Rufus Fears' lectures from the Great Courses.

Eta- I just saw the Ender's Game mention above and it reminded me that one of my first audiobooks was Dune. It was awesome.

We recently finished - and thoroughly enjoyed - Linda Sue Park's Keeping Score.

Other fairly recent favorites:

Hoot (Hiaason)

The White Giraffe (Laura St.John) (first in a series - Animal Healer, I think?)

Inside Out and Back Again (Thanna Lai)

Percy Jackson Series 

Redwall Series (Brian Jacques)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

• Like 1