Menu

Boil or microwave water?

gingersmom

I can't tell the difference.

I've heard the "right" way to make tea is to bring the water to a boil (either way--unspecified) and then wait til it cools to 180 degrees, which is supposed to be the perfect temp.

I just fill the glass measuring cup with water, throw it in the mic, put a bag in it and nuke for 2 mins. Works for me--YMMV as usual.

• Like 1

For tea, always boil in a kettle (I use an electric one). You can't get a rolling boil in a microwave, and the tea tastes horrible.

I have not tried with coffee; it could be that that works better.

For beverages that require only hot, but not boiling water, like instant hot chocolate, microwave is perfectly fine.

• Like 3

I have read from websites devoted to tea that the water should not reach a high boil for some teas (i.e. green and white), but should for others (e.g. black).  As a cook, I pretty much understand the principles involved.  As a real-life person, though, I just boil the water.  Not being "The Princess and the Tea", I typically microwave the water and detect no difference sufficient to disturb me.  I could enjoy having the time to become an expert in tea brewing, just as I could enjoy becoming an oenophile.  No time, though!  :001_smile:

• Like 1

Um, I can get a "roiling" boil in the microwave.... I use a 2 cup pyrex and nuke it for 4 minutes, it will continue to boil for 5 seconds or so then settle down.  I add tea bags after that.  I do use our stove top kettle for making gallons of sweet tea but if it's just a cup I nuke it and can't tell the difference.

• Like 2

I have read from websites devoted to tea that the water should not reach a high boil for some teas (i.e. green and white), but should for others (e.g. black).  As a cook, I pretty much understand the principles involved.  As a real-life person, though, I just boil the water.  Not being "The Princess and the Tea", I typically microwave the water and detect no difference sufficient to disturb me.  I could enjoy having the time to become an expert in tea brewing, just as I could enjoy becoming an oenophile.  No time, though!  :001_smile:

The correct temperature actually makes a big difference for tea. I also realize I'm too distracted to sit with a thermometer waiting for water to get to 140 for green tea. My *lazy persons* solution drove me to figure out how much room temperature water was need in my tea pot so that filling the remainder  with boiling water would get me to 140 degrees. 

Works well.

Bill

• Like 2

The correct temperature actually makes a big difference for tea. I also realize I'm too distracted to sit with a thermometer waiting for water to get to 140 for green tea. My *lazy persons* solution drove me to figure out how much room temperature water was need in my tea pot so that filling the remainder  with boiling water would get me to 140 degrees. 

Works well.

Bill

Agreeing that correct water temperature and steeping time lead to the best tea.  Just can't invest so much time.  As you are a "science guy", might you share the respective volumes of water (room vs. boiling) that you use for green tea?  Don't tell me, however, to factor in the material composition of the teapot!  (bone china vs. pottery vs. other) 

We had this discussion a few weeks ago.  Microwaving doesn't heat the water evenly -- you have some cold water and some boiling water within the same cup, just like when you thaw something in the microwave and have some hot spots and some still frozen.  The weird taste is because some of the tea is being steeped in hot water, and some is in cold.

If you heat a kettle of water on the stove or in an electric kettle you end up with convection currents (middle school physical science in action!) and the water ends up evenly heated.

(I didn't look at the link someone provided above, which maybe explained it.  But, alas, I am lazy. You can probably guess my stance on measuring actual water temperature for tea. )

• Like 1