Menu

cleaning advice needed

ProudGrandma

It depends.  Soap scum?  Dawn+vinegar sprayed and left to soak (which takes FOREVER to rinse off). 

Soap scum on top of hard water spots?  That's tougher!  Bar Keeper's friend makes a soft cleanser for glass top stoves that I think is sort of magic.  I had to order it from Amazon. 

• Like 3

I have used vinegar, but I think scrubbing bubbles works best. It makes the room STINK for HOURS though. I loathe that. 

The best way to prevent is to wipe down the shower after each use. not realistic for many of us, but I try to do it when I can.  And when I remember.  I keep a little tool in the shower for this purpose--like you would wipe down a windshield. I can't think of what it's called.  But it's smaller than the windshield kind, and for showers. I got it at home depot. :) 

I use Scrubbing Bubbles for routine cleaning, but for build up issues Barkeeper's Friend works great.

I've tried the Dawn/warm white vinegar thing and it does work well.  But IMO no better than Barkeeper's Friend.  And BKF doesn't stink or burn my eyes and it's easier to rinse off than the home-made mixture.

When we installed our shower stall, the directions specifically said not to use Scrubbing Bubbles.  :confused1:  CLR and a non-scratch scrubby have worked pretty well on the stall itself, not totally overwhelmed with anything I've tried on the glass doors. I'd like to try that Barkeeper's Friends, though some of the prices on Amazon. ca have me  :lol: .

I have used vinegar, but I think scrubbing bubbles works best. It makes the room STINK for HOURS though. I loathe that.

The best way to prevent is to wipe down the shower after each use. not realistic for many of us, but I try to do it when I can. And when I remember. I keep a little tool in the shower for this purpose--like you would wipe down a windshield. I can't think of what it's called. But it's smaller than the windshield kind, and for showers. I got it at home depot. :)

Squeegee! Such a fun word. :)

Fume-free Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray on, let it sit 15 minutes, do a light scrub and the scum comes right off.

You aren't the first time I had heard to use oven cleaner. I had read on pinterest but never tried.

Went out after reading your post and bought some for our nasty shower and used It this morning. I am amazed. Sadly enough, i thought our shower walls were textured too but after cleaning them with oven cleaner, I realize they are glossy :/ we've used scrubbing bubbles and other cleaners and just could never get the gray bottom back to white. I had decided I had ruined the surface by using comet in the early years of owning this home and it was stained

I have a second spray soaking now and am hopeful that I will see my white shower bottom today!

I'm also eliminating bar soap today, too. Shower gels it is for less build up! Kids only use gels and have no scum. I use a mix in my tub and have minimal scum. DH uses only bar soap and well. I think it is the culprit here!

Thanks for sharing :)

It depends.  Soap scum?  Dawn+vinegar sprayed and left to soak (which takes FOREVER to rinse off). 

Soap scum on top of hard water spots?  That's tougher!  Bar Keeper's friend makes a soft cleanser for glass top stoves that I think is sort of magic.  I had to order it from Amazon. 

The trick with this is DO NOT RINSE.  Just wipe it off with bath towels and then launder the towels.  It leaves a slick film on the door/tub/shower walls that prevents soap scum from sticking.  But it is VERY SLICK so don't use it in a kid's bathroom without nonstick decals on the bottom of the tub or shower.

Check out these before and after photos! I am embarrassed to show how bad my shower was. Like I said previously, I had assumed I had ruined the surface by scrubbing with abrasives and that it was stained. I cleaned weekly with scrubbing bubbles and this is still what it looked like. Alas, oven cleaner has redeemed my shower and now I don't have to fear someone visiting and peeking in my shower!

20150418_120304_zpsektt7zxm.jpg

20150418_151415_zpsvwslkwed.jpg

• Like 6

Mandylubug, thank you for posting your before picture.  It looks like my shower stall bottom!  I had no idea how to clean it and thought it was because the surface was a bit textured.  What kind of oven cleaner do you use?  What's the process?  I'm afraid of breathing in those fumes, but would love a clean shower again!

I used Target Brand Fume Free Oven Cleaner in Unscented (even though, it smelled like citrus to me) It did take my breath away, just like scrubbing bubbles or any other aerosol cleaner does. I held a towel over my face and did a light spray and let set an hour. Wiped with a wash cloth (that was soooo nasty) I then sprayed all the places I obviously missed and let it set another hour. That time I came in with a tire brush and really gave it some elbow grease to get into the crevices of the textured bottom. Up close, the texture of my shower stall bottom looks like a window screen pattern. Not very bright, in my opinion. It was like magic watching it become white, though. I didn't use gloves. I just heavily moisturized my hands after each scrub. It did use the entire can for me but I did all of the walls and the bottom pan twice.

• Like 2

Bar keepers friend.

Bar Keeper's friend, cream version....hands down. I tried many cleaners before that because we have glass showers + hard water.

Ace Hardware and Stuffmart both carry Bar Keeper's Friend.

I just picked up some BK at Ace. We're having our yearly rental inspection next week. :) The glass shower doors were the one thing I had know idea how to get sparkly and truly clean. Thanks, OP, for this timely thread!

I used Target Brand Fume Free Oven Cleaner in Unscented (even though, it smelled like citrus to me) It did take my breath away, just like scrubbing bubbles or any other aerosol cleaner does. I held a towel over my face and did a light spray and let set an hour. Wiped with a wash cloth (that was soooo nasty) I then sprayed all the places I obviously missed and let it set another hour. That time I came in with a tire brush and really gave it some elbow grease to get into the crevices of the textured bottom. Up close, the texture of my shower stall bottom looks like a window screen pattern. Not very bright, in my opinion. It was like magic watching it become white, though. I didn't use gloves. I just heavily moisturized my hands after each scrub. It did use the entire can for me but I did all of the walls and the bottom pan twice.

I need to do this to my textured fiberglass shower floor. But oven cleaner! I bought a self-cleaning oven so I could avoid the stuff, LOL

I just picked up some BK at Ace. We're having our yearly rental inspection next week. :) The glass shower doors were the one thing I had know idea how to get sparkly and truly clean. Thanks, OP, for this timely thread!

Wasn't impressed with the BK. I'll try oven cleaner...next year. :P

• Like 1