Menu

Need to expand library--buy paperbacks or invest in Kindle?

I can't keep up with my ds's voracious reading habits (can't get to the library more than once every 2 weeks or so, and tired of overdue fines).

I really want a large selection of middle-school level readers, but am wondering if it's cheaper/quicker to just get a kindle (paperwhite) instead of paperbacks?

I do prefer print, and I do have the room for a sizable addition to our library, but the convenience of ebooks is enticing.  

Those of you who have converted to ebooks: are you happy with the switch?

Paperbacks: Generally cheaper used than e-books and often the same price new. You have to wait for them if you order online or travel to a store to get them, but if there's no space issues, that's helpful. And you can resell them or loan them to friends.

E-books: Brand new books (stuff still only in hardback) are a little cheaper this way. Old books will be free, though most middle grades readers won't find a huge selection of high interest stuff that way. Overdrive is a way to borrow e-books from your library - no late fees and instant access - but selections can be limited.

Basically, each one has pluses and drawbacks.

• Like 4

Do a bit of both.

Do sign up with the library in your capital city; it's usually free and they often have lots of eBooks.

Amazon has lots of free classic books that download right to the Kindle with no effort.

Sign up for e-mails at thriftbooks.com and Betterworldbooks and take advantage of their bulk sales on used paperback books.

Dover Thrift Editions

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-thrift-editions-fiction.html

Free eBooks

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/l/literature/childrens/

http://homeschoolcommons.com

• Like 3

The previous posters have listed some great pros and cons. Is there any way to tell which your ds prefers?

I have a kindle for my daughter and we discovered she doesn't like reading ebooks. She prefers paperbacks and rarely reads on the kindle.

I go back and forth, personally, but I still probably read more hard copy books than ebooks.

I go back and forth, too. I think it's better for the eyes to use variety.

I would be heartbroken to be without a kindle Paperwhite/Voyager right now. I use my paperwhite a lot. I can check books out of the library on my phone, and then later when I'm tapping off a friend's wifi or at a hotspot I can download everything that is lined up and waiting for the wifi, in just a few seconds. When I have steady access to wifi it's even easier than that; I can select the books from my iPad and send them directly to the Kindle.

If you have a 3G Paperwhite/Voyager you don't even need wifi at all for the free Kindle books, but there is no way to get library books on it without getting to wifi.

I like the kindle for my voracious reader. She reads anything she can get her hands on, so if I load books by George MacDonald or Edith Nesbit on it for free, she'll read them. Often I'll do a read aloud, then move it into her folder, and she'll reread it a few months later.

If your child balks at classics, getting Kindle books is nearly as expensive as buying new.

I don't like reading nonfiction on the Kindle. I find I have a hard time retaining a lot of information if I do. (It works alright to read nonfiction aloud, as long as I also discuss it with my kids. Then I retain it!)

• Like 1

We all have our own kindles in our family (okay, not my 1 year old yet) and use them all the time.  I love the flexibility of them, I can stick it my bag and literally carry around hundreds of books with me wherever we go.  We live overseas and travel a lot, so it is especially useful in our situation.

My kids enjoy reading their kindles and figured out pretty quickly how to navigate with them.  

You don't own your kindle or nook or kobo books, you lease them from those companies. They are legally able to alter or remove those books at will.

Really?  I haven't heard that before.  Does it actually happen?  We've owned kindles for about 5 years now and have more than 1,000 books.  We've never had any removed.

Really?  I haven't heard that before.  Does it actually happen?  We've owned kindles for about 5 years now and have more than 1,000 books.  We've never had any removed.

But you've almost certainly had them changed. The most obvious change will be the covers. It drives me batty. But they're also changing the text - they'll update to newer editions, etc. And there have been cases of when books were pulled from the shelves they remove them from people's devices and refund them. Ah, DRM.

• Like 3

That is not either/or. :001_huh: That is both. ;)

But go to used bookstores, or Goodwill on half price weekend for your hard copies. Just poke around for the high quality books and leave the cheap fluff. :001_smile:

But you've almost certainly had them changed. The most obvious change will be the covers. It drives me batty. But they're also changing the text - they'll update to newer editions, etc. And there have been cases of when books were pulled from the shelves they remove them from people's devices and refund them. Ah, DRM.

I've even had books removed and not gotten a refund. When whispersync first came out there were a lot of free sets. Some of those have been removed from my account.

For ME I have learned that NOTHING in life is mine to KEEP. I have had to just develop an attitude of adaption and trust and gratefulness to whatever changes come. I initially freak and then have to ask myself if I have "enough". Most of the time I do. Changing and disappearing Kindle books upsets me sometimes, until I look at what I have left, and what I have access to for free, and know that I have enough.

• Like 2

Check out your library's eMedia offerings. We have access to thousands of Kindle books for free. We get to keep books for 21 days and set auto renew if no one puts them on hold. (If you're not done reading a book, though, all you have to do is turn off your Wi-Fi on Kindle until you are.)

Overall, books with a lot of graphics/pictures are better in print format. Those that are pretty much all text I like in Kindle format. For literature study, I like paper books because it's easier to find specific selections. Another annoying thing with Kindle during school is trying to point to a word or selection. Do it with your finger or stylus and it often turns the page. I have to remember to use a metal stylus or pencil for pointing.

I got my son and I a kindle fire hd (the bigger screen one) for ebooks for our ELTL books. I noticed our faces get red after reading on it for long periods. I like the free classics which is what that curriculum uses. I think it would be more appealing to read a long book if you can feel and see the book mark progressing. I like that visual, physical confirmation with long books.

We like the library's overdrive ebook app. We get audio books and ebooks on it.

I know I am old fashioned and my beliefs on this situation are antiquated, but there is so much research out there about screen time and attention span/ability to concentrate in children that we will stick with print books only for the kids.  They need to know how to use technology, and there is always a time and place for ebooks, but with how much time our children should spend reading, that is too much electronic screen.

http://www.examiner.com/article/excessive-screen-time-said-to-affect-children-s-attention-span-report

For cost, do your best to hound used book stores, goodwill, used books on Amazon, and homeschool convention booksellers.

• Like 2

Everyone in my family but me has a Paperwhite. (I tried a Kindle years ago and did not take to the switch from physical books.) They are wonderful. Everyone loved them. Two of those four people (DS12 and DH) still love them. The other two have switched happily back to physical books for the most part. In particular, DD likes to read in the bath and pool, making her Paperwhite a poor choice. But more than that, these two and I just prefer the feel of a physical book. We do get to the library often, but even so I buy a lot on Amazon and Half-Price Books. Last summer I went to HPB and loaded up on cheap paperbacks for $2 each (classics, award winners, etc). They went through most of them and are still working through the dregs of those books. Even oldest DS grabs one of those occasionally (mainly when he wants something to read in the pool). I will definitely do that again this year. Likewise, DD and younger DS will occasionally still read on their Paperwhites, although honestly that mostly happens when they have just finished something and don't have a replacement, or when a friend recommends something and they want it right away...basically when the need for the book is "urgent" and we don't have the desired item on hand. Then the ability to have it immediately is appreciated.

So basically, yes, both have strengths. If you have the money, I don't think it could hurt to do both. I now use one of the kids' devices for Kindle Unlimited books or things my library only has in ebook form.

• Like 1

I know I am old fashioned and my beliefs on this situation are antiquated, but there is so much research out there about screen time and attention span/ability to concentrate in children that we will stick with print books only for the kids. They need to know how to use technology, and there is always a time and place for ebooks, but with how much time our children should spend reading, that is too much electronic screen.

http://www.examiner.com/article/excessive-screen-time-said-to-affect-children-s-attention-span-report

For cost, do your best to hound used book stores, goodwill, used books on Amazon, and homeschool convention booksellers.

I will say that this is why I would only let my kids get a Paperwhite. It is books and that is it. And the e-ink is very easy on the eyes. Nothing in this article (or in any research I am aware of) applies to e-ink e-readers made solely for reading. I didn't want them reading on a bright screen and having the distraction of apps lurking constantly.

• Like 2

I will say that this is why I would only let my kids get a Paperwhite. It is books and that is it. And the e-ink is very easy on the eyes. Nothing in this article (or in any research I am aware of) applies to e-ink e-readers made solely for reading. I didn't want them reading on a bright screen and having the distraction of apps lurking constantly.

Yes, this is what I'm thinking.  Definitely not a Fire--I have one of those and all I do with it is check Facebook :) 

Thanks!  I think we will get a paperwhite for those times we'd like to borrow from the library, and continue to invest in cheap, used paperbacks for the classics.

Can you renew library books online or over the phone?  I can keep ours checked out for a few months by renewing online (unless someone places a hold on it).  

I like the e-readers that use e-ink (like the Paperwhite) since it's most like reading a printed copy.  The tablet style readers bother my eyes after awhile.   I often buy our read alouds on the Kindle, but usually buy their individual books as printed copies since we only have 2 e-readers...They'd be constantly fighting over who's turn it was with the reader!  

It does seem like many of the books for younger ages are either not available on Kindle or cost the same as a paperback copy.  If it's the same price, I usually buy a printed copy. 

What do your kids prefer? I much prefer reading electronic books. I checkout books on Overdrive and I occasionally buy ebooks when I need something quickly or it is less expensive. However, my ds really prefers paper books. He will read an ebook if what he wants is more readily accessible that way, but he really prefers paper.

I think using a combination is the best practice. I love ebooks for their convenience. They are immediately available and I can carry a library with me. OTOH, they can be more expensive than buying used paperbacks and the paperbacks can be resold, lowering cost even more. 

Take advantage of the best of both worlds.

My oldest is an avid reader and loves her kindle. We can take away TV, DS, any other screen, whatever, it's a bummer. But take away her kindle (only once) and her world ends. She loves that I can usually put the next book to read on there right away. She reads normal books too, but we are running out of bookshelf (and weight allowance).

I also agree that e-ink screens are completely different than a kindle fire. If you're going to invest in a kindle for reading purposes, I'd make sure it's an e-ink one. The draws of other apps, games, and videos would really undermine the emphasis on reading.

My dh set me straight on that issue. I had somehow missed that part that they're not really mine. I guess I'm with the pp who said the benefits outweigh that negative. That does make me feel a little uncomfortable, though, that they could possibly disappear. Oh well, I love, love, love my kindle and can't go back!

• Like 1

I buy very few new hard copy books. Our library consists of $0.25 paperbacks from the thrift store and Kindle books. My reasons for loving ebooks for myself and my 7th grader:

1) I can put them on multiple devices, which is very helpful since I read my son's literature with him (well, not literally WITH him, but we read and discuss each day.)

2) If it is a whispersync title, I can add the narration for immersion reading. And even if it's not a whispersync title, my son can play an audiobook from the device while he reads anyway.

3) I check out ebooks from the library and keep an eye on the daily deals.

4) I hunt around on Amazon for book suggestions and keep a preselected library at his fingertips.

5) I have to do a fair bit of reading in waiting areas & bleachers. A kindle takes up less room in my purse than a paperback and doesn't get mashed up.

That said, my 1st grader prefers print books and I have enough of them that they meet our needs. We share a book while reading and that works really well.

• Like 1

One of the things I like about real books is that I can put them on a shelf and they are present in the room in a way that does not seem to be the case with electronic books.  With e-books, it seems like someone needs to make a real decision to read before they do any reading.

I find really cheap books, especially kids ones, at the used book store and thrift stores, and they are cheaper than the same things in electronic form.

• Like 3

My dh set me straight on that issue. I had somehow missed that part that they're not really mine. I guess I'm with the pp who said the benefits outweigh that negative. That does make me feel a little uncomfortable, though, that they could possibly disappear. Oh well, I love, love, love my kindle and can't go back!

If you transfer the ebooks to your computer and strip the DRM it isn't an issue. ;)

With things like popular novels, I wouldn't really care about this.  But for a lot of my books, i want to be able to pick them up and take them with me if we have a zombi invasion and have to head for the hills.  So paper books and paper maps rather than e-books and GPS.

Does your library have digital checkouts of books and audiobooks? We use Overdrive to check out a lot of things. I'm not a big fan of buying ebooks, or mass market paperbacks. We invest in sturdy copies of excellent books for our home library, and borrow the rest.