Menu

Science grade 5

bethben

I am a very random science person.  I haven't followed any sequence or book set with my kids.  Usually, the science I've gotten just doesn't make me want to do it again.   This year, we did Apologia Chemistry and Physics only because there was a class ds could take.  

So, I am looking for a science - can be textbooks even (no public school texts - I just find them difficult to work with).  He likes non-fiction books and learning about different subjects.  I would like to stay away from physical science if I can.  He hasn't had much life science.

I really don't like Apologia for the elementary age.  I feel like I should know everything that's out there.  Science has just been very hit or miss around here.  We do it every year, but YAWN...

I don't really want to have to be super involved (think BJU press).  I don't mind discussing science with him, but I would like it to be semi-independent.

• Like 2

I am just working on our science plan for 5th grade now, because it is one subject we often do in the summer so we can take advantage of the weather.  I put together our own program, I haven't been very happy with any I have seen.

I've chosen two main subjects to focus on, insects for Spring, Summer, and fall, and weather for fall and winter.

For texts, we will read Fabre's Book of Insects and if I can find a cheap copy the Children's Life of the Bee.  We are also going to read biographies of Mendel and Newton (which corresponds more with our history but I may slot it into science.)  I'm also using The Amateur Naturalist and the Handbook of Nature Study for some project ideas.

My plans for possible projects are:

Make or build a weather station, and keep data (carefully and neatly!!) for at least a month.  My husband, who works for meteorological services, will probably assist with this a fair bit.  We might also make a cloud chart to help out with our observations.

Get into some bee hives to learn more about the life-cycle of the bee.  We may do this at home or go to the museum.

Grow a butterfly garden. 

Drawings of insects, which will involve learning some of the parts.  We can do this on field trips or around the garden.

Visit the butterfly house at the museum.

I am considering getting some fruit flies and doing some stuff on genetics, to tie in the Mendel biography and give us some actual insects to raise.  If that seems too complicated we may try keeping some butterflies or ants.

Aphid observations - we can do this on our peony.

For weather we'll look at seasonal changes and such - we will probably do some documentary watching.  I would like to try and get dd to see a weather baloon being launched, but that may not be possible.

• Like 1

Yup- I admire people like you Bluegoat.  I have tried to do the "make my own plan".  I always fail.  Somehow, having someone else figure it out for me keeps me accountable to do it.  I start out fairly well, but have no follow through.  I'm flakey like that.  

• Like 1

Yup- I admire people like you Bluegoat.  I have tried to do the "make my own plan".  I always fail.  Somehow, having someone else figure it out for me keeps me accountable to do it.  I start out fairly well, but have no follow through.  I'm flakey like that.  

I've found that for myself, I really have to make sure I make a plan that lays out pretty much when things have to happen, just like I would get with a program I bought.  Otherwise, it just doesn't get done.  It's not too bad with texts, because I just look at teh chapters and divide them according to the days I have, but it is a little more difficult with projects and such. 

• Like 1

In the fall I am doing RSO Biology 2 with my 5th and 8th graders. My son really likes science, and biology/ecology are of particular interest to him. I have purchased the ebooks, and am just starting to browse through them, but I am really excited about this science. We're kind of science geeks at our house though. Additionally my 5th grader will again be on a First Lego League team and a Science Olympiad team, the latter he spends 1-3 hours a week in studying for. Usually in science we don't use a curriculum, but I am hoping RSO Bio 2 will be as good as it looks and worth our time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My rising-4th grader will be using AIG God's Design for Life next year.  I was worried the creationism stuff would be too heavy-handed, considering the publisher, but I find the text pretty enjoyable to read.  (FTR, we are creation-believing individuals, but I don't want to be preached at too heavily in our science lessons. ;))

Anyway, there are different levels of information in the text, depending on student age.  Each lesson has a short activity or project or experiment.  There are occasional "spotlights" pages about scientists.  Three texts make a year's worth of science, doing 3 lessons/week:  Animals, Plants, Human Body.

We use Sonlight science for 4th and my dd does it independently. I just check her work and discuss the notes with her.

This is what I have done for my dc at this age. The program can be done very independently, including the experiements (especially if you purchase the supplies kit). Or the student can watch the video of the experiments, if that works better some days.

I am a very random science person.  I haven't followed any sequence or book set with my kids.  Usually, the science I've gotten just doesn't make me want to do it again.   This year, we did Apologia Chemistry and Physics only because there was a class ds could take.  

So, I am looking for a science - can be textbooks even (no public school texts - I just find them difficult to work with).  He likes non-fiction books and learning about different subjects.  I would like to stay away from physical science if I can.  He hasn't had much life science.

I really don't like Apologia for the elementary age.  I feel like I should know everything that's out there.  Science has just been very hit or miss around here.  We do it every year, but YAWN...

I don't really want to have to be super involved (think BJU press).  I don't mind discussing science with him, but I would like it to be semi-independent.

This is us, too!

I am looking at Sonlight for science.  One of few that I haven't tried yet.  :(

:bigear:

Pam

We used AIG this year and I found it very easy to complete.  The worksheets were usually very good and the amount of information was perfect!  I found Apologia a little heavy on the facts, but AIG was just the right amount.  The only thing I didn't care for was the "experiements" so we skipped most of them.  Only a few seemed worth the time of doing, most were more "busywork" than anything. 

• Like 1

I will have a 5th grader next year.  For the 1st half, we are using Focus on Middle School Astronomy.  It looks pretty good, not a lot of reading each day, and 1 experiment a week.  For the last half of the year, I am going to have her choose 9 living things to study.  We will probably spend 2 weeks on each.  I found a free notebooking page she is going to fill out, and I will order as many ILL books and videos as I can.  We will also use National Geographic Kids, and other online resources.

• 3 months later...

Science Fusion is just awful. For lower grades use Moving Beyond the Page science or Elemental Science or McHenry or. Supercharged science or education exploration or zingy ....High school students....I am at a loss...Derek owens? Avoid Science Fusion especially the online component.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What's ACE?

ACE paces from School of Tomorrow. They're a set of about a dozen little workbooks full of read this and fill in the blank exercises, with gratuitous Scripture memory verses. Kids good at reading comp can learn to spot check the facts the book will want, ace the tests, and barely absorb a thing. Not that I'm holding a grudge against my childhood curriculum or anything. :001_tt2:

• Like 3

I'm finding Science in the Beginning to be somewhat independent. I gathered all supplies first, then have oldest facilitate it all for herself and 6yo, and then she (oldest) has to write a short essay answer to the question for the oldest student. That is what we did for summer writing. After we finish SITB, we're going on to Ellen McHenry Brain study, because that's what I want to do. ;-) I've just found SITB very doable. About 45 minutes, 3 days a week, and that includes her writing time.

Last year we used Bookshark's grade 5 science (human biology.)  It was pretty OK.  On the plus side, it got done.  Very consistently.  His retention was good.  He could do most of it independently.  It was fine as written but we added videos/etc. to make it more interesting.  Because, on the negative side, it could be dull at times.  Or maybe biology just isn't his thing.  Overall, I was happy with it.    

You might want to look into Mr. Q Science - can download his elementary life science for FREE!  And, I've read that in January he usually has 50% off deals.   Or R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey by Pandia Press - 30% off right now with code PANDIA. Or Behold and See by Catholic Heritage Curricula, whether you're Catholic or not.

You can also download a middle school chemistry curriculum for FREE:   http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Or, if you want something super light and SUPER EASY on  you, try the Science Shepherd Introductory Science course.  This is what we did last year, and I LOVED it!

We have a devoted library of the Magic School bus and various other topic specific science books that I wish the kids would pick up more often, and this year saw aurora lipper from supercharged science deliver a 'kids lecture' at Maker Faire on how to make a rocket.  We followed up with her website and actually tried her online summer camp.  

She delivers short succinct lectures that engage, and miraculously her science projects are very crafty, something that my daughter dear is always trying to do more of.  Kind of a win win.  I think we are probably going to continue in the fall.

Cons: customer service not so responsive, maybe different with the cadilliac science packs she offers, and tends to be email heavy on sales and constant contact, but that doesn't actually bother me.

Pros:  seems really well thought out, organized and actually- fun.

I highly recommend Evan Moor's Daily Science as a supplement to any science year!  I prefer a school type approach .. with a variety of science disciplines.  Not like Apologia, RSO, RSfK, etc which focus on one subject until you'll puke if you have to study about ______ any more! lol   So my recommendations would lean more toward that style.  Abeka, BJU, etc.  We have also used Studies Weekly in the past. It is not a complete curriculum unless you are a science teacher that can build around it but it is a cheap, fun supplement that gives snippets about scientists of the past, discoveries or inventions, etc.  We used it as a jumping off place to get books/videos from the library about whatever grabbed dd's attention. 

I completely gave up trying to find a "curriculum" for this year and we are doing Ancient Science by Jim Wiesse alongside our Ancient history studies this year. lol 

Good luck!!