Menu

Sexism in CLE

Paige

I knew to expect a lot of religion in CLE, and I'm fine with that, but the sexism is pretty disturbing. Does anyone else feel that way? How do you deal with it? I've thought of crossing out the overtly sexist questions, but some of it can't be avoided. In the reading, a lot of the stories in the reader are sexist and can't be skipped without skipping the lesson, quiz, or test. I've been talking to my kids about how certain phrases or stories aren't quite accurate or necessary, but it's getting tiring. 

Is there anything like CLE for reading and language arts that is not so sexist? We like the gentle, spiral format, but I don't think I can buy it again w/ all the sexism. The math is fine, for the most part. I see some sexism in there but it's not as bad as the others. Today's 5th grade gem of a question:

"Boys would hardly be ______ by a display of dolls dresses. Why?" .The answer should be fascinated and I have no idea why. My DD got the question wrong because she's not sexist and couldn't figure it out and I have no desire to explain it to her or say her answer is wrong.

I have found R&S English to be difficult to use for similar reasons (and I am  a fairly conservative, traditional Christian). Actually I haven't noticed a lot of overt sexism just yet--we're working through it slowly-- but the sentences just ring strange to me.   I have reverted to looking at the lesson, determining the objective and coming up with my own sentences. It only takes a few minutes (b/c it's 2nd grade! easy!), and since I have the book I will continue to use it, but I have to use it in my own way...if that makes sense. I don't think I will buy another R&S English book.  

Spelling and Math have been fine so far. 

That sentence just wouldn't work in our household. my son is just as fascinated by gorgeous dress as my daughter is, and why not!  

The material is written by Mennonites.  Their society is very old world traditions, as far as I can tell, including old world sexism as seen by today's standards.  This is one reason we are not using the reading portion even though I love how the lessons are set up and include lots of spiral review.  The drawings are quaint and the references I don't find offensive, just really outdated for today's day and age.  It certainly doesn't fit with how my kids function in our society.  :)

The math materials have been easier to use.  In fact, I LOVE the math material.  SOOOO much better a fit for my kids and our family than anything else we have tried.

• Like 1

We used a lot of CLE, but yes, their language arts tends toward "traditional."  As someone who is a work-at-home mom in addition to homeschooling, we just discussed that sort of thing and moved on because that was where I had issues. In the higher grades you will also encounter pacifism, which is also something our family doesn't agree with. FWIW, there are all sorts of Mennonites. CLE is part of a more conservative branch. 

I've never found a religious-based curriculum that matches 100% with our family FWIW.  BJUP and A Beka had theological issue that I didn't like at all.  CLE is more subtle that way, but I did mark and address areas of practice that we disagree with.  There were some things I entirely marked out too.

Every family will handle this differently of course.

• Like 2

Well I don't know about you but all the little boys I know ***wouldn't*** be fascinated by a display of dolls dresses.

But anyway, it's important not to put something in front of your child day in and day out which disagrees with your own core philosophy! It'll grate on you and make it hard to explain things.

I would definitely not buy it again...CLE bothers me that way too and also theologically...it would be hard to use it on a daily Basis although my dd enjoyed their readers.

• Like 5

I knew to expect a lot of religion in CLE, and I'm fine with that, but the sexism is pretty disturbing. Does anyone else feel that way? How do you deal with it? I've thought of crossing out the overtly sexist questions, but some of it can't be avoided. In the reading, a lot of the stories in the reader are sexist and can't be skipped without skipping the lesson, quiz, or test. I've been talking to my kids about how certain phrases or stories aren't quite accurate or necessary, but it's getting tiring. 

Is there anything like CLE for reading and language arts that is not so sexist? We like the gentle, spiral format, but I don't think I can buy it again w/ all the sexism. The math is fine, for the most part. I see some sexism in there but it's not as bad as the others. Today's 5th grade gem of a question:

"Boys would hardly be ______ by a display of dolls dresses. Why?" .The answer should be fascinated and I have no idea why. My DD got the question wrong because she's not sexist and couldn't figure it out and I have no desire to explain it to her or say her answer is wrong.

Hmmm....the problem I have with this sentence is that the apostrophe is missing!

But, really, we have never, ever, ever found curriculum we can use carte blanche.   We use a lot of CLE, and we learn a lot about a lot of cultures that are different from our own.  I think it helps that the illustrations seem antiquated.  My children are able to separate the lifestyles depicted because they seem different from ours in nearly every way.

We had bigger problems with Explode the Code.  We had such a hard time figuring out what the pictures were supposed to be!

• Like 3

Everyone's sensitivity to these matters varies and it would be hard to find any literature curriculum in which we would agree 100%  with the sentiments expressed in all the stories.  I certainly don't think anyone should use a program that offends them but I just wanted to provide another viewpoint on CLE's Reading for those considering it.

I've used the CLE Reading program from grades 1 through 8. I am not religious but continue to use it because I find it a very solid well designed Reading course that gets done. It is published by Mennonites and the stories are designed to support that point of view which generally is one of more traditional roles in the family. While not everything may be considered "politically correct" according to contemporary standards, I honestly cannot say I've found much overt sexism in the series beyond those "traditional" roles. In fact, I think CLE does a good job in balancing the share of stories about boys and girls. None of the stories that I can recall denigrate women and there are many stories that feature girls/women showing strength of character or intelligence.  Anyway, I guess we've encountered a number of things in CLE which I don't agree with but we just discuss and move on.  

While the original question posted above might be sexist in stereotyping boys, I do think it comports with reality. I have 3 boys and none of them are fascinated by doll's dresses.

• Like 13

Everyone's sensitivity to these matters varies and it would be hard to find any literature curriculum in which we would agree 100%  with the sentiments expressed in all the stories.  I certainly don't think anyone should use a program that offends them but I just wanted to provide another viewpoint on CLE's Reading for those considering it.

I've used the CLE Reading program from grades 1 through 8. I am not religious but continue to use it because I find it a very solid well designed Reading course that gets done. It is published by Mennonites and the stories are designed to support that point of view which generally is one of more traditional roles in the family. While not everything may be considered "politically correct" according to contemporary standards, I honestly cannot say I've found much overt sexism in the series beyond those "traditional" roles. In fact, I think CLE does a good job in balancing the share of stories about boys and girls. None of the stories that I can recall denigrate women and there are many stories that feature girls/women showing strength of character or intelligence.  Anyway, I guess we've encountered a number of things in CLE which I don't agree with but we just discuss and move on.  

While the original question posted above might be sexist in stereotyping boys, I do think it comports with reality. I have 3 boys and none of them are fascinated by doll's dresses.

One of mine is fascinated by stuff like doll's dresses.  I have no doubt he is a real boy.  Some of the top clothing designers in the world are pretty obsessed with designing women's clothing and many are men. 

Neither one of our anecdotal experiences are anything more than that though.  I don't want him to feel bad because he likes Care Bears.  KWIM?

• Like 4

Hmmm....the problem I have with this sentence is that the apostrophe is missing!

But, really, we have never, ever, ever found curriculum we can use carte blanche. We use a lot of CLE, and we learn a lot about a lot of cultures that are different from our own. I think it helps that the illustrations seem antiquated. My children are able to separate the lifestyles depicted because they seem different from ours in nearly every way.

We had bigger problems with Explode the Code. We had such a hard time figuring out what the pictures were supposed to be!

Haha good catch on the dolls' maybe it was just a typo from the OP??

That would never ping my radar as sexist, wouldn't have even noticed. :o

We use a fair number of vintage resources, however. Everyone has a different level of sensitivity, family culture, and preference on curriculum. If it isn't a good fit for your family do use something else :)

We are SO fortunate to be homeschooling in this decade instead of three decades past, where the selection of materials is overwhelming in both variety and volume!

One of mine is fascinated by stuff like doll's dresses.  I have no doubt he is a real boy.  Some of the top clothing designers in the world are pretty obsessed with designing women's clothing and many are men. 

Neither one of our anecdotal experiences are anything more than that though.  I don't want him to feel bad because he likes Care Bears.  KWIM?

Yes, this.  My son just enjoys looking at fancy attire (male and female) and b/c he's an artist, he draws it a lot--mostly he draws coloring sheets which he sells to his sister for 2 cents a sheet. He's an entrepreneur!  I sew somewhat fanatically, so he also sees me creating things out of textiles and that is interesting, too.  His interests run the gamut, though--he spends far more time drawing sea creatures, building his beloved Lego sets, and practicing his weaponry skills in the yard w/ his nerf gun and bow-and-arrow.  

Edith Schaeffer once wrote about a man she knew who enjoyed sewing his wife's clothes! And I think it was her son-in-law who enjoyed knitting to relax.  My own father, whose mother was a talented seamstress, has a fairly sharp eye for fit and color and fabric and often tells me when my clothes need adjusting, ironing or otherwise tweaking.  And he's very manly in the traditional sense of being a big guy who owns guns, hunts, drive a big diesel truck...all that stereotypically male stuff in our culture. 

So, I guess I just don't see it ringing it true with reality across the board, and it bothers me that my son would feel strange for liking something that is perfectly okay.  We homeschool, in part, so that my kids aren't pigeonholed in this way, I suppose! 

• Like 4

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment above about boys and doll's clothes. I indicated that the question presented a stereotype but it was based in reality because the majority of boys are not fascinated by doll's clothing as could be demonstrated by looking at toy sales. Likewise, I would say most girls aren't fascinated with Nerf Guns, while some may be they do not represent the majority of the buyers.  There was no disrepect or judgment intended for those who do not fit the majority, I was just responding to the original poster who said she had no idea why that might be the correct answer.

• Like 2

I have noticed it in both CLE Math and Climbing to Good English. We are not traditional or religious, so there are times (especially in CTGE) when the obvious answer is not so obvious to my son because he does not think the same way as the authors. I just explain to him what they were going for with the question and we discuss what alternative answers there might be.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment above about boys and doll's clothes. I indicated that the question presented a stereotype but it was based in reality because the majority of boys are not fascinated by doll's clothing as could be demonstrated by looking at toy sales. Likewise, I would say most girls aren't fascinated with Nerf Guns, while some may be they do not represent the majority of the buyers.  There was no disrepect or judgment intended for those who do not fit the majority, I was just responding to the original poster who said she had no idea why that might be the correct answer.

How do you know the majority of boys aren't fascinated by doll dresses?  I wonder if the majority of girls are fascinated by doll dresses.  I never was.  I didn't really care for playing with dolls at all.  Of course my parents bought me dolls because I guess they assumed I was supposed to like them.  I thought they were pretty boring.

Is it they aren't fascinated?  Or they don't tend to have the opportunity? 

Well anyway I am not familiar with CLE.  If this is just one rare instance, I wouldn't bat a lash over that.  The Pathway Readers oozed this sort of stuff.  Girls are to help in the kitchen, and boys are to help in the barn.  That sort of thing.  I didn't want my kids thinking that it MUST be this way. 

I'm not offended. 

• Like 3

It's very arguable about whether this is reality or societal expectations. The reality is that we gender children from a very early age & parents and society put their own expectations on children right from birth. Oh no, not a pink sleeper on a boy!  Crib decorations are frequently gendered. By the time you get to toy stores, there have already been many, many societal pressures exerted on the children about what is & is not appropriate for them to buy or be interested in.

btw, rabbit trail but Harrod's in the UK changed their toy section to make it gender neutral http://www.themarysue.com/gender-neutral-harrods/

& some scandinavian stores are doing it too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/9703127/Swedish-toy-catalogue-goes-gender-neutral.html

""With the new way of thinking about gender there is nothing that is right or wrong. A toy is not a boy or girl thing; it's a toy for children."

• Like 2

I don't know...my 12 year old dd loves ninjas, nerf guns, pocket knives, and skateboards amongst other items.

She also puts on eye shadow before she goes out, with her superhero earrings on.

My ds8 doesn't really go to much for the outside stuff like my dd, but will happily put sets together, draw, read, cook with me, tell me I'm pretty..lol (had to add that one in. ) he is very sweet spirited and kind.

My dd10 is the stereotype little girl that loves barbies, glitter, hair bows, friendship necklaces, and nail polish. (Very girly )

My last one, ds 3.... Well, he's just a brute, honestly! Haha. He will tackle anything in sight! (Pretty much the opposite of my other son)

Anyways, I think of my kids not a neutral, but as individuals with different likes, just like me. :)

• Like 4

It never crossed my mind to be concerned by it. It's an amish/mennonite program - you don't go into the program without knowing that, and I was pretty sure that everybody knew the amish/mennonites are rather extremely traditional/old-fashioned.

• Like 10

I think it's unfair to label the writers of CLE as sexist. It is obvious in their readers that they value both men and women, boys and girls. They believe each sex has different roles. That's called complementarianism, not sexism. If you don't like their views, fine, just stop using it; but don't get offended by a religious publisher's religious views. It's your responsibility to investigate the perspective of a curriculum before you use it.

• Like 3

That is not sexism.  They hold a worldview/values that differ from yours, that doesn't mean it's wrong or needs a judgmental label.  If you are uncomfortable with the material, use something else.

That is exactly sexism. Assuming behavior or traits based on gender is the definition of sexism. Some would say that it is proper and justified, that there's nothing wrong with sexism in some cases, and would object to the negative connotation of the word in this case, but it is sexism. Sexism doesn't have to be mean spirited. 

I'm not offended and have nothing against the Mennonites. I used the Pathway Readers and they didn't bother me at all, so I had expected about the same with CLE. I find it to be more obvious than Pathway Readers and was wondering about similar alternatives or ways that people who do notice it respond.

I'll probably pre-read the lessons so I can cross out things I think my kids might not get. 

FWIW, my dd's answer was-

"Boys would hardly be hostile to a display of doll dresses."

• Like 5

I use R&S for English (so, similar to CLE), and I just explain to my kids that the Mennonites believe that way, and we believe this way. No big deal, imo.

I do the same. If there was a rigorous, easy-to-use, secular option to R&S, I'd use it.

That is exactly sexism. Assuming behavior or traits based on gender is the definition of sexism. Some would say that it is proper and justified, that there's nothing wrong with sexism in some cases, and would object to the negative connotation of the word in this case, but it is sexism. Sexism doesn't have to be mean spirited.

I'm not offended and have nothing against the Mennonites. I used the Pathway Readers and they didn't bother me at all, so I had expected about the same with CLE. I find it to be more obvious than Pathway Readers and was wondering about similar alternatives or ways that people who do notice it respond.

I'll probably pre-read the lessons so I can cross out things I think my kids might not get.

FWIW, my dd's answer was-

"Boys would hardly be hostile to a display of doll dresses."

But the term "sexism" connotes prejudice, discrimination, and devaluation. Your original post makes it clear that you see CLE's sexism as negative. Those of us who hold similar views to the Mennonites regarding the gender roles see your use of the term "sexism" just as negatively as you view CLE's differentiation of the genders.
  • Like 8

Call a spade a spade.

Why on earth should she pussyfoot around? It *is* sexist and posting it with this thread title will help stop someone else who does *not* hold that worldview from thinking it's going to be easily usable for them.

Just because they have a sexist worldview doesn't make it not sexist.

• Like 7

Call a spade a spade.

Why on earth should she pussyfoot around? It *is* sexist and posting it with this thread title will help stop someone else who does *not* hold that worldview from thinking it's going to be easily usable for them.

Just because they have a sexist worldview doesn't make it not sexist.

I hold a similar view regarding gender roles (i.e. a conservative viewpoint). I don't really care if you call it sexist - I do not view it as sexism, and that's all that really matters to me.

With that said, what I scratched my head about wasn't that the OP called it sexist... it's that she seemed surprised. Being surprised that a Mennonite publisher's materials are very conservative would be like me complaining that Apologia is Christian and teaches YE creationism.

• Like 6

I found 2 definitions of sexist and I think therein lies the problem. It can mean relating to behavior based on gender; or a belief that one gender is superior.

The op would be correct using the first definition. However, I don't find that type of sexism to be offensive. I am a stay at home mom who cooks and cleans and irons and homeschool my kids. My husband is a construction worker who mows the lawn, fixes the car, shovels snow and takes out garbage. So I guess we lead sexist lives, as do most people in some way or another. (Whether they admit it or not.) Matchbox commercials use boys for advertising, Lego sells pink sets to attract girls, it's part of life. Heck, where does it end? If I say "boys pee standing up", is that sexist? I'm commenting on a behavior that is based on gender and it could offend a handful of guys who prefer to sit. So yes, that's a sexist comment by definition but is there anything really wrong with that?

Saying boys do not find doll dresses fascinating doesn't fit the other definition though, of a belief that one gender is better than the other, which is what comes to my mind and probably the others who are offended by the opening post. This definition carries a much more negative tone.

If it bothers you, I agree that a less traditional curriculum might be best, but I also understand why others might be put off by the post.

• Like 7

Paige :grouphug:

I get exhausted dealing with human rights violations. I'm just so tired of it all. I'm not saying I'm right, but we talk about the declaration of human rights and intrinsic worth, and how few people honor these rights, and that even many people that say they do believe in this stuff prove in their actions that they don't.

I deal with racism, sexism and all the other isms in one big lump. With an older student that was struggling to answer that question, I'd probably just sarcastically say, "The author is looking for a sexist answer". The student would probably be able to figure out the answer at that point and one or both of us would probably make some sort of grunt or vocalization or eye roll and just move on, because everyone knows how tired I am of talking about how mean people are to each other and how mucked up this world is.

I use sexist and racist and all sorts of ist stuff every day, often now without even editing it anymore. I'm tired. I'm told I have full blown Stockholm Syndrome again especially when it comes to sexist stuff. Doesn't most of the world? The world is sexist, so sexist that Stockholm Syndrome around sexism is so rampant, that most women identify with and defend it. I don't identify with it, but I fully acknowledge my powerlessness over it and my deepening apathy towards it. And I believe that submitting to it is often the easiest and safest way of dealing with it. I make occasional stabs at rebellion, suffer the discomfort of doing so, and then start submitting, pretending and keeping the silence again.

There are only 24 hours in the day and less time talking about sexism is more time to stand in line to buy toilet paper. And sometimes, if I'm telling the truth, playing the coy little diva is what keeps food in my stomach that day. Sometimes I'm a ping pong ball in my reactions, rebelling and submitting so inconsistently, that I'm truly annoying to those around me who are in power. Then I cry and they forgive me, and I play the diva a bit more, and they chalk my rebellion up to being a diva. which I AM NOT. And that's how I eat.

I'm not saying you should follow my lead to just give up. I have no advice. Good luck what ever you choose to do, and I'm always interested to listen.

• Like 1

I think CLE is a really solid curcurriculum that is written by a group that have views and practices that may not fit in with what many see as the current views of male and female roles in our society. I dont find it offensive Or shocking, just quaint and a bit different than what is my norm. I do find it to be a less than ideal fit for my family so I choose not to use the language arts portion of CLE. It is still a really solid curriculum that many have used successfully, whatever their views on gender roles.

OP asked if there was anything like CLE but less "sexist". I dont know of anything but perhaps someone else has a good suggestion?

Here's a few secular alternatives to CLE for a reading program: I've tried/looked at most of these but have gone back to CLE because overall it fits my needs the best but these might work for someone else.

• Like 2

I think one can be a conservative Christian whose life happily centers around traditional gender roles (I am, my life does) and still be put off by these assumptions. I do not think the OP should be maligned for being taken aback and seeking alternatives. Saying, in essence, "what did you expect?" seems unhelpful.

• Like 3

I think one can be a conservative Christian whose life happily centers around traditional gender roles (I am, my life does) and still be put off by these assumptions. I do not think the OP should be maligned for being taken aback and seeking alternatives. Saying, in essence, "what did you expect?" seems unhelpful.

I think if she had simply said "I'm finding the conservative tone and sexism in CLE to be too much; can somebody point me in the direction of a secular alternative?", nobody would be commenting otherwise.

She did not JUST ask for alternatives - she asked for opinions about the sexism in CLE (what we think of it, how we get around it, etc).

Seems like this issue manifests the problem with fill-in-the-blank tests or workbook problems. Was fascinated a vocabulary word? Wouldn't it be a better approach to say, "Use the word fascinated in a sentence"? This is the reason why I use hardly any preprinted curriculum or workbooks. The point isn't to learn to use the rules and words, it's to guess what the material-writer was thinking. It makes it easier to grade and it makes kids into better test-takers, but it doesn't help them learn to use and apply things in their own thinking.

• Like 1

Seems like this issue manifests the problem with fill-in-the-blank tests or workbook problems. Was fascinated a vocabulary word? Wouldn't it be a better approach to say, "Use the word fascinated in a sentence"? This is the reason why I use hardly any preprinted curriculum or workbooks. The point isn't to learn to use the rules and words, it's to guess what the material-writer was thinking. It makes it easier to grade and it makes kids into better test-takers, but it doesn't help them learn to use and apply things in their own thinking.

I was also less than fascinated by the exercise in the first place.

We use some textbooks for English but there's precious little mindreading required...most of the exercises are for practice in various grammar skills and are decidedly non-controversial or subjective. When the child "gets it" we can just move on without even doing all of the problems, making these drill exercises the smallest part of the English grammar and composition curriculum. True invention and creativity come from open-ended methods, such as narration.

• Like 1

Gently, and respectfully, some kids simply do not learn well with those ideal teaching methods. I started with lofty visions of narration and no workbooks, but I have to teach the kids I have. Some of my kids need what CLE and things like it provide. I frequent the learning challenges board because we have some issues and CLE is frequently recommended there. Since switching, for the first time, they are starting to retain information and not cry. It can be hard to understand why the other methods don't click in some kids- I don't understand myself and wish it were different. 

That is why I'm reluctant to leave CLE. Despite my problems with the text, it seems to be working. I guess I had 3 motives in posting:

To alert others to the issue of sexism in CLE since I hadn't seen anything about it when I looked. I don't think it's fair to say: what do you expect in Mennonites. I mean, I know they are traditional and conservative, but it's a lot different to me to see stories with traditional roles depicted, encouraged, and respected (I expected that) than to read stories with the main idea about how little Susy wouldn't have gotten hurt if she'd just stayed home and played with dolls like she was supposed to instead of trying to play with boys (didn't expect). One is more passive than the other. I expected Bible verses and heavy moral instruction. 

To find out how others who saw the sexism but used CLE anyway dealt with it and maybe to reassure me that it wasn't that bad or the 5th grade was an anomaly. Maybe something like, "It just went over my kids' heads and we didn't worry about it," or "I told my kids that's how the Mennonites believe but we believe differently."  

To find out if there's something similar.

I wasn't expecting anyone to be offended by the use of the word sexism. Sorry about that. I don't think Mennonites value women less than men, or think they are less intelligent, and when I say sexism, I don't mean that. 

• Like 3