Menu

This is a scam, right?

Moxie

I have something for sale on CL right now. I've gotten the usual scams ("I'll send you a bank draft") but this one is questionable. It feels scammy. What says the Hive? I deleted most of the email address.

Good morning there,

I wouldn't be able to come over and take a look of it today I have an appointment but am free anytime tomorrow, What is actual time i can meet you at home ? Then what is last price and phone number ? ( xyz@gmail.com ) Thanks

~Make it a good day!~ ?

I wouldn't necessarily think it was scammy.  I would think it was someone with a non-standard or inadequate grasp of the English language and that they were trying to communicate to you that they are interested, but that they couldn't purchase it today, and they want to clarify your price.

But I am used to encountering people for whom English is not their first language (or sometimes even their second or third language).

• Like 2

When people speak in grammatically incorrect, jumbled or just plain weird sentences, I don't follow up. "then what is last price and phone number..." What the frog does that mean?

Guest submarines

Scam!!!! I just went through this with an item. I didn't respond but kept getting the same basic email on the same item (even though I had multiple items), with just the email addy being different. The wording might be a touch different, but all said the same. One wanted to look at the item at 9pm! Um, no.

How does it work as a scam?

Are you on Facebook? I have had better luck buying/selling things on local Facebook swap boards. There they have to usually be approved to join the groups, so admins can look and see if they are from that area or not. I prefer it that way so I know that they are legit.

I have something for sale on CL right now. I've gotten the usual scams ("I'll send you a bank draft") but this one is questionable. It feels scammy. What says the Hive? I deleted most of the email address.

Good morning there,

I wouldn't be able to come over and take a look of it today I have an appointment but am free anytime tomorrow, What is actual time i can meet you at home ? Then what is last price and phone number ? ( [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script> ) Thanks

~Make it a good day!~ ?

Hard to say. Like Audrey, I am used to a lot of different nationals speaking English. But I hope you are not meeting anyone at your home!

• Like 1

It sounds like they are asking how low you are willing to go on the item (I think that's what they mean by "last price") and if they can meet at your home tomorrow.  I wouldn't instantly think scam, I'd think English isn't their first language.

If it feels uncomfortable, don't respond.  And don't sell from your home!

• Like 1

Offer to meet them at the local police station.  Many police stations let Craig's list folks meet in their lobbies now - it is safer for both parties.  Never let a stranger come to your home!  Or tell them you will call them when hubby is home and they can come by then. Make hubby take item to the garage.

• Like 1

Based on my experience, it's scammy. I wouldn't respond.

As an aside, I have had many CL sellers tell me they responded to my inquiry because of good grammar and manners (greeting, requests rather than demands, pleases, and thank yous)!

This has been my policy with Freecycle offerings, too. I'm not giving a freebie to someone who does not reply with the info I asked and/or who acts entitled or demanding. I look for a response like this: "Hello! If the flower pots are still available, I would love to have them. I live in Ferryport and could come by Wed or Thur. Thanks!"

• Like 2