• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Talked college girl into coming here tomorrow after work so I can give her the first B12 shot.  She faints when blood is drawn so I will have her lie on the bed when I do it.  I had to fuss at her because she didn't want to make the drive.  Really.  It's just your health at stake here. :hat:

Dh also faints. We first took note when he broke his wrist, every time they took off the cast, he'd faint. We learned to lie him down, too.

• Like 1

Took dd to the dr today. She agrees that the dairy is probably the culprit for the allergies/post-nasal drip and constipation. 

We're going to do a week elimination diet (soy, corn, gluten, dairy, sugar), then slowly add each item back in to see which are affecting her. (I'm placing my bets on gluten and dairy.) 

We also have an appointment with our allergist to check on her egg allergy, so we'll discuss testing for environmental allergies as well. 

So, now I'm looking up egg/soy/corn/gluten/dairy/sugar free lunch and snack ideas to send with her to preschool. Wish me luck. haha

I'm also going to call the preschool director and see if there's anything else we need to do to make it easier at school. 

I think it takes a lot longer than a week to clear the system of dairy. You might want to add that one back in last.

ETA: Speaking of dairy, Gymnast can't have it either, except hard cheeses. The school menu showed that they were going to serve one breakfast this morning, and turned out to serve yogurt, oranges, and granola. Gymnast is also allergic to citrus. They provided nothing to substitute. If I had known, I would have brought something from home for her to eat.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

Vasovagal syncope.  It's a thing.  So glad I do not have the thing.

Interesting. I'm investigating now. It always looked like he was having a mini-seizure before he'd pass out.

ETA: I'm a terrible wife. I would laugh.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

Took dd to the dr today. She agrees that the dairy is probably the culprit for the allergies/post-nasal drip and constipation. 

We're going to do a week elimination diet (soy, corn, gluten, dairy, sugar), then slowly add each item back in to see which are affecting her. (I'm placing my bets on gluten and dairy.) 

We also have an appointment with our allergist to check on her egg allergy, so we'll discuss testing for environmental allergies as well. 

So, now I'm looking up egg/soy/corn/gluten/dairy/sugar free lunch and snack ideas to send with her to preschool. Wish me luck. haha

I'm also going to call the preschool director and see if there's anything else we need to do to make it easier at school. 

I would send gf chicken nuggets or strips (I make my own at home using a gf flour blend), applesauce cup (with no added sugar), and a veggie she likes.  Maybe some plain potato chips for a treat - plain Lays contains three ingredients and meets your requirements.  Juice box (100% juice).  No ketchup because it has sugar.

• Like 5

Duck says hi.  

I breathed a few too many joint compound fumes today, and proceeded to pay for my coffee at the drive-thru then drive off without it.  

(When I realized it half-a-block later, I turned around and went through the drive-thru again to retrieve it.  I have no shame if caffeine is at stake.  And I am too lazy to go inside EVER.)  

All in all, though, it was better than the time I drove up to the Dunkin Donut's drive-thru speaker and repeatedly (repeatedly!) insisted that I wanted a 25-count box of chicken mcnuggets.  Poor baffled girl finally passed me through, gave me the box of munchkins donut-holes at the next window, and said "You know, these aren't mcnuggets."  

:huh:

That is all.  

To bed I must go, for joint compound awaits me at the break of dawn.  

Love to All, 

Duck

• Like 10

I think it takes a lot longer than a week to clear the system of dairy. You might want to add that one back in last.

ETA: Speaking of dairy, Gymnast can't have it either, except hard cheeses. The school menu showed that they were going to serve one breakfast this morning, and turned out to serve yogurt, oranges, and granola. Gymnast is also allergic to citrus. They provided nothing to substitute. If I had known, I would have brought something from home for her to eat.

Gluten and dairy are definitely the last. Sugar will be first as I don't see it having as much of an effect, then corn. Soy will be third, then gluten and dairy. 

I would send gf chicken nuggets or strips (I make my own at home using a gf flour blend), applesauce cup (with no added sugar), and a veggie she likes.  Maybe some plain potato chips for a treat - plain Lays contains three ingredients and meets your requirements.  Juice box (100% juice).  No ketchup because it has sugar.

GAH! I just bought apple sauce cups, but forgot all about the sugar. DANG IT. I'll just go get some sugar free cups. 

I planned on Applegate hot dogs, chicken, chicken nuggets, and some lunch meats (probably Boar's Head since they're gluten free) for the protein. 

Good to know about Lay's. She'll like that.

She loves the Apple and Eve juice boxes which are all juice. 

Some days, I may send some Tinkyada rice pasta with sauce. She likes it well enough, too. 

She loves yogurt, so I'm going to make some coconut milk yogurt or pudding. I found some paleo recipes that will work, I think. 

I use xylitol and erythritol in my baking, so I'll make her some treats to take in case they have any birthday parties. 

Tex - will you just come make her lunches for me? :D 

I can do gluten free. I can do dairy free. All of these together is a bit overwhelming. Goodness. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Gluten and dairy are definitely the last. Sugar will be first as I don't see it having as much of an effect, then corn. Soy will be third, then gluten and dairy. 

GAH! I just bought apple sauce cups, but forgot all about the sugar. DANG IT. I'll just go get some sugar free cups. 

I planned on Applegate hot dogs, chicken, chicken nuggets, and some lunch meats (probably Boar's Head since they're gluten free) for the protein. 

Good to know about Lay's. She'll like that.

She loves the Apple and Eve juice boxes which are all juice. 

Some days, I may send some Tinkyada rice pasta with sauce. She likes it well enough, too. 

She loves yogurt, so I'm going to make some coconut milk yogurt or pudding. I found some paleo recipes that will work, I think. 

I use xylitol and erythritol in my baking, so I'll make her some treats to take in case they have any birthday parties. 

Tex - will you just come make her lunches for me? :D 

I can do gluten free. I can do dairy free. All of these together is a bit overwhelming. Goodness. 

Yes, I will come make lunches.  I will be there March 6 or 7.   :D

I understand.  But I think your problems will be solved and cured.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

(((Mary))) and (((her pantry and fridge)))

I've done gluten free for almost 8 years.  I had to be gf and dairy free for about 6 months while I was nursing dd5.  It was difficult.

My mom is corn free.  That one is really not fun.  Thanksgiving dinner was interesting.

• Like 3

(((Gymnast)))

(((Mary))) and (((her pantry and fridge)))

I've done gluten free for almost 8 years.  I had to be gf and dairy free for about 6 months while I was nursing dd5.  It was difficult.

My mom is corn free.  That one is really not fun.  Thanksgiving dinner was interesting.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just gluten and dairy. Gluten will be the easiest to incorporate since it's already 2nd nature here. I'm not celiac, but I am definitely gluten intolerant, so I try to stick to a g-free diet. She will be super sad with no dairy, but I'm hoping she can do raw cheeses eventually. I hope she will eat the coconut yogurt, too. That will help her deal a lot, I think.

I almost forgot:

Tinkyada pasta  :ack2:  Corn pasta is so much better, imo.

Hopefully she won't be sensitive to corn.  It's much harder than gluten.

See, I don't mind Tinkyada that much. I prefer Heartland pasta though - and it's cheaper! But, since it has corn and rice, it's a no go for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

We like Tinkyada here.  It holds up better than most to overcooking and doesn't turn to mush.

Mine always came out mushy.  I like Barilla and Ronzoni, but they're sometimes hard to find.

Heartland pasta is my absolute favorite. Good consistency for the spaghetti, but the penne and fusilli don't hold up as well as Tinkyada's do. 

• Like 1

Heartland pasta is my absolute favorite. Good consistency for the spaghetti, but the penne and fusilli don't hold up as well as Tinkyada's do. 

I like Heartland, too.  Wegman's and Walmart's store brands are also OK.

I've tried a lot of gf pasta in 8 years.

However, I still have not found gf egg noodles.   :(

• Like 2

Good Friday Morning! 

I may go back to bed for a bit.  I was out late last night for a Moms' Night Out.  And that was after ds and I went to see Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  I was a little surprised at how much I liked it.  There were a few gross parts, but enough of the original story was there to make it worthwhile.  And it was interesting to see how they adapted it. 

Dh stopped by the vet yesterday and brought home a second cone and it took only until this morning for the dog to destroy it as well.  So, now dh has to get a sturdier cone from TSC (Tractor Supply).  (I tried to tell him I thought the cone was too flimsy.  Normally we've had good experience with our vet, but I don't know if they've gone soft on us or what.  Who would think that cheap, flimsy plastic thing was going to work on an enthusiastic Lab?)

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Lynn, I'm glad you enjoyed the movie with your ds.:)

We have 40 mph wind gusts. I doubt the internet man will climb the tower to put up the disc. At least I hope he doesn't. It is about 40-50 feet from the ground. It is scary just thinking of it.

I'm taking dd16 to the mall tomorrow in the kinda big city about an hour away. I don't like driving. But I have put it off since, well, too long. On the up side, I am almost certain there is a Panera behind the mall. So that is where we will be eating. I'm going to check their website for the menu, and decide what I would like today. :) Any suggestions? Lynn?

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Lynn, I'm glad you enjoyed the movie with your ds. :)

We have 40 mph wind gusts. I doubt the internet man will climb the tower to put up the disc. At least I hope he doesn't. It is about 40-50 feet from the ground. It is scary just thinking of it.

I'm taking dd16 to the mall tomorrow in the kinda big city about an hour away. I don't like driving. But I have put it off since, well, too long. On the up side, I am almost certain there is a Panera behind the mall. So that is where we will be eating. I'm going to check their website for the menu, and decide what I would like today. :) Any suggestions? Lynn?

Fun!  Hope you have a great day! 

At Panera - they have a pick 2 thing where you can choose two of either cup of soup, half sandwich, or half salad.  I like the turkey flatbread sandwich - it has cranberries on it - yummy.  I also like the Chicken avacado cobb salad - but I didn't like it the first time I had it.  I think it has gorgonzola cheese on it, which was a little strong the first time I had it.  I would have preferred feta instead.  But it has grown on me.  I also like their chicken noodle soup and their broccoli cheddar soup.  From the bakery, I like their shortbread cookie with icing.  Can't wait to hear what you try and I hope you like it!    :)

• Like 4

FYI: You will need to eliminate dairy for *at least* one month, one whole month. In fact, most elimination diets recommend eliminating all suspicious foods for a month. She might see an improvement quickly with gluten, but dairy can take up to a month to be completely out of the body.

• Like 7

Good Morning, ITT!

Dawn, remind the internet man, "don't climb towers in treacherous winds". And have fun at Panera. I love that place. I don't go often enough to have recs.

Well, today I go to my derm for my annual. I had a melanoma removed a little over 5 years ago. Nothing more since, but I am a bit concerned about 2 moles on my tummy. The melanoma was just really really dark. Black. But it was round and didn't do anything weird, which is why initially I never thought anything about it until my cousin insisted I get it checked out. And lo and behold, it was cancer. These moles are small and round, but darker than the others. So, I'm a little nervous. And I have to take the kids with me. Usually I leave them at my mom's house, but she can't babysit today. Fortunately the dermatologist is pretty quick, not too much waiting around. And I have a 9:00 appt so she shouldn't get too backed up.

• Like 7

FYI: You will need to eliminate dairy for *at least* one month, one whole month. In fact, most elimination diets recommend eliminating all suspicious foods for a month. She might see an improvement quickly with gluten, but dairy can take up to a month to be completely out of the body.

That's going to be my absolute last thing to add in, so it will be a month before she has that one back in. 

I was going to do the week of nothing, then add in sugar (or rather - honey, maple syrup, and coconut sugar). Then, I wanted to wait another week before I add in corn, the next week soy, then gluten, then dairy. 

My friend did her elimination diet like this: When we did an elimination diet it was 3 weeks off of all then three days testing one, then 4 days off, then 3 days testing the next one and so on.

So, I don't really know what to do! 

Do you all think the way my friend did it would be better? 

• Like 1

Good Morning, ITT!

Dawn, remind the internet man, "don't climb towers in treacherous winds". And have fun at Panera. I love that place. I don't go often enough to have recs.

Well, today I go to my derm for my annual. I had a melanoma removed a little over 5 years ago. Nothing more since, but I am a bit concerned about 2 moles on my tummy. The melanoma was just really really dark. Black. But it was round and didn't do anything weird, which is why initially I never thought anything about it until my cousin insisted I get it checked out. And lo and behold, it was cancer. These moles are small and round, but darker than the others. So, I'm a little nervous. And I have to take the kids with me. Usually I leave them at my mom's house, but she can't babysit today. Fortunately the dermatologist is pretty quick, not too much waiting around. And I have a 9:00 appt so she shouldn't get too backed up.

Prayers and melanoma-free thoughts heading your way! 

• Like 3

Good Morning, everyone!

Dawn, I can't eat the turkey flatbread (allergies), but my mother loved it when she tried it.  I usually get  half frontega chicken sandwich, which is a hot panini, and half bowl of onion soup.

My likes for Lynn and Tex's sleepless nights are really just hugs.  Though I'm glad it was for a good cause, Lynn.  :D

Have a fun, sunny day, Susan!

I will spend tomorrow morning at AC Moore collecting the remaining supplies for Pioneer Girls crafts.  Then, because I'm not sure where else to squeeze it in, I'll be putting the samples together on Sunday morning. (  :(  I hate missing church.)  In between everything else I'll be drywalling.   The good news is that the basement first coat came out really well.  

Meanwhile, Dd 6 and Dd5 are moving to Australia.  (So I'm told; they are skipping about arm in arm singing about it.)  I'll miss them.   :crying:

• Like 10

There is something comforting about the SWB audio lecture sale advertisement at the bottom of the screen, and I just figured out why.  It's SWBs kind face, of course, telling me that, yes, I can do this homeschooling motherhood thing, if only I will get off my arse, get a cup of coffee, and get to it.  

So here I go.  :patriot:

• Like 11

There is something comforting about the SWB audio lecture sale advertisement at the bottom of the screen, and I just figured out why.  It's SWBs kind face, of course, telling me that, yes, I can do this homeschooling motherhood thing, if only I will get off my arse, get a cup of coffee, and get to it.  

So here I go.  :patriot:

I KNOW, RIGHT???

• Like 5

Good Morning, everyone!

Dawn, I can't eat the turkey flatbread (allergies), but my mother loved it when she tried it.  I usually get  half frontega chicken sandwich, which is a hot panini, and half bowl of onion soup.

My likes for Lynn and Tex's sleepless nights are really just hugs.  Though I'm glad it was for a good cause, Lynn.  :D

Have a fun, sunny day, Susan!

I will spend tomorrow morning at AC Moore collecting the remaining supplies for Pioneer Girls crafts.  Then, because I'm not sure where else to squeeze it in, I'll be putting the samples together on Sunday morning. (  :(  I hate missing church.)  In between everything else I'll be drywalling.   The good news is that the basement first coat came out really well.  

Meanwhile, Dd 6 and Dd5 are moving to Australia.  (So I'm told; they are skipping about arm in arm singing about it.)  I'll miss them.   :crying:

Panera used to have a portabella mushroom and caramelized onion sandwich. The mushrooms were marinated in something delicious, the onions were perfectly sweet, it was oozing with mozzarella. Perfect for a girl who loved breads and wanted a sandwich, but didn't want meat. Oh my 'lanta, it was so good. I haven't eaten anything there in years, though, and they discontinued the sandwich. That broke my heart. lol

Pioneer Girls? I didn't realize they still did that. I used to love Wednesday nights at church because we had Pioneer Girls. I am pretty sure I had the book memorized. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Mary, just a heads up that when I took DS off wheat and dairy for a while, I wound up replacing the dairy with coconut and the results were disastrous. (Right back to cow's milk for him!) So if you don't see good results with eliminating some foods, it might mean that your substitutes are also problems.

• Like 1

Panera used to have a portabella mushroom and caramelized onion sandwich. The mushrooms were marinated in something delicious, the onions were perfectly sweet, it was oozing with mozzarella. Perfect for a girl who loved breads and wanted a sandwich, but didn't want meat. Oh my 'lanta, it was so good. I haven't eaten anything there in years, though, and they discontinued the sandwich. That broke my heart. lol

Pioneer Girls? I didn't realize they still did that. I used to love Wednesday nights at church because we had Pioneer Girls. I am pretty sure I had the book memorized. 

Oh.my.word.  Mary, I would eat that in a heart beat.  That sounds awesome!  Wonder why they discontinued it?  The turkey-cranberry flatbread is seasonal.  It will get replaced sometime this spring and come back again around Thanksgiving. 

• Like 3

I have to do a bunch of bloodwork this morning. Gallons of it are going towards thyroid testing for various doctors, but I also have a new family doc who wants fresher "baseline everything" tests so she added blood sugars which means I have to fast.

One of my old dogs got me up in the middle of the night. He can't always make it through the night anymore. I wish I could have a cup of coffee but hot water will have to do.

• Like 5

It's possible I'm exaggerating and it will just be a couple vials. :) But the requisition paperwork just goes on and on.

I'm the first person in the lab line up. Now there are two of us standing outside the office. It doesn't open for another 30 min but from prev experience this line up will be longer by then...

Hey, I have vasovagal syncope too. I'm usually fine in regular blood tests but fasting ones I have to lie down.

• Like 5

Now I'm afraid I have bad moles. :huh:

I have quite a few moles. And I had always seen those pictures of the funny moles to look for, but they didn't look like this one. This one was just very dark. If you have moles and haven't seen a dermatologist just for a look, I'd recommend it. It's scary when they tell you it's melanoma. Because that's the one that will kill you!
  • Like 1

We've had to do elimination diets here several times.

Queen Ellie is correct in that the dairy protein has a very long half-life.

We did off everything for a full month, and then added one thing back at a time.  We would eat the newly added back in food every day for a full ten days and then go from there.  If we saw a reaction right away, we would stop that new food, give it time to clear according to its protein half life, and add in again.  We have had way too many delayed reactions to be able to do the 3 day/4 day switch around.  Elimination diets are miserable enough that I want to do it once, do it right, and never do it again.

And thank the stars that I do not react to gluten. I did a full six week GF trial to be sure and I missed my pizza.

• Like 1

Mary, just a heads up that when I took DS off wheat and dairy for a while, I wound up replacing the dairy with coconut and the results were disastrous. (Right back to cow's milk for him!) So if you don't see good results with eliminating some foods, it might mean that your substitutes are also problems.

That's good to know. I'll keep an eye out for that. 

We've had to do elimination diets here several times.

Queen Ellie is correct in that the dairy protein has a very long half-life.

We did off everything for a full month, and then added one thing back at a time.  We would eat the newly added back in food every day for a full ten days and then go from there.  If we saw a reaction right away, we would stop that new food, give it time to clear according to its protein half life, and add in again.  We have had way too many delayed reactions to be able to do the 3 day/4 day switch around.  Elimination diets are miserable enough that I want to do it once, do it right, and never do it again.

And thank the stars that I do not react to gluten. I did a full six week GF trial to be sure and I missed my pizza.

The gluten is easy peasy to replace for a good pizza. OMG - Holy Grail or Fat Head pizza crust. So yummy. (Of course, to me, regular pizza doesn't taste as good now. I prefer the holy grail pizza crust. So, I might be a bit biased.)

The dairy? Not so much. It's a sad pizza when you have no cheese. :( 

I called the preschool today and I love the director. She is so accommodating and nice. They actually had two kids do an elimination diet last year, so she's pretty familiar with it. I'm going to get a weekly menu and see if I can make something comparable for those days. I know it won't be exact, but if I can get something similar, maybe it will go easier for dd. 

ETA: 

It's an elimination diet BOOYA!

5315137f62631bd11191685c51bc14d1.jpg

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 10

Hugs, prairie.

Boo to melanoma. I pray for the all clear, Krissi.

The internet man was here. I asked him about the wind, and he said it was fine and he does it all the time. I said many prayers. He come back down after 20 minutes and said it was too windy. He also said he thought there was an arm up the for the disc but there isn't. So he will come back Monday. He also recommended a new router. So I will get one tomorrow.

Mary, that sandwich sounds delicious. I would've liked that one. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the French onion soup. I love French onion soup. Yum!

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 6