Menu

Ignore this thread!

My doctor told me I had a beautiful cervix.

And, apparently I also have a beautiful Booya/h! And in honor of El Niño finally arriving in our drought ridden state (where a half inch of rain makes headlines) ...

"I'm singin' in the Booya/h

Just singin' in the Booya/h

What a glorious feelin'

I'm Booya/h again!"

I was once complimented on my pelvis and told that it could handle delivering an 11 lb. baby if needed.  Thankfully, it was not needed. 

• Like 4

My  brain is broken because dh went over to his grandparents' house, which was rented to people who stopped paying and evidently turned it over to squatters who smoked nonstop, drank, and stole everything out of the shed, to help his elderly mother move the people's stuff to the curb while three sheriffs watched because they are not allowed to help.  I am now washing and drying on high all of dh's clothing that he wore over there because of the possibility of bedbugs.  

Why? :confused1:

Edited by texasmama

I was once complimented on my pelvis and told that it could handle delivering an 11 lb. baby if needed.  Thankfully, it was not needed. 

My mother weighed 11 lbs. at birth.  At home.  Before the doctor got there.  No meds.  

I once asked my grandmother if all of her babies were as big as my mom.

"Oh, no.  They were only 9-something each."

:svengo:  Grandma, that is not encouraging.

• Like 4

My  brain is broken because dh went over to his grandparents' house, which was rented to people who stopped paying and evidently turned it over to squatters who smoked nonstop, drank, and stole everything out of the shed, to help his elderly mother move the people's stuff to the curb while three sheriffs watched because they are not allowed to help. :confused1:

He did not tell me where he was going (for a reason).  There is no reason ever that they should have had to do this.  The house is trashed.  His grandparents lived there for over 50 years, and it is completely filthy and smoked-up now.  They stole all the power tools and the mower from the shed.  They trash talked dh and MIL while they were removing the junk from the house.  I cannot even with people.

I am now washing and drying on high all of dh's clothing that he wore over there because of the possibility of bedbugs.  

I am so sorry.  How awful!

Your dh probably didn't tell you because he was afraid you might throat-punch someone.  In front of three sheriffs.

• Like 4

Several of my students incorporated this idea into their essays.  I would have loved to work with her on it.

You don't.  Or you write it in pencil.  I have a vague notion, and before it all started I wrote down the state educational plans for high school credits to show my boys.  We will likely roughly follow this just because we are on a traditional-ish path.  Ds15 is eligible to do a dual credit class in one year.  I will consider signing him up for something online.  How that experience goes will inform the rest of the high school experience.

My kids' paths to college will be through the CC so it is actually pretty simple for me.  I have found this year less intensive than previous years with the boys because so much is outsourced and independent.  I have partially traded that workload for teaching my co-op class, but it is still much more relaxed for me.  I am focusing much more time and energy on little dd, and that is funner for me since fourth grade is not particularly taxing. :lol:

But, but, but... the book says I must!

My  brain is broken because dh went over to his grandparents' house, which was rented to people who stopped paying and evidently turned it over to squatters who smoked nonstop, drank, and stole everything out of the shed, to help his elderly mother move the people's stuff to the curb while three sheriffs watched because they are not allowed to help. :confused1:

He did not tell me where he was going (for a reason).  There is no reason ever that they should have had to do this.  The house is trashed.  His grandparents lived there for over 50 years, and it is completely filthy and smoked-up now.  They stole all the power tools and the mower from the shed.  They trash talked dh and MIL while they were removing the junk from the house.  I cannot even with people.

I am now washing and drying on high all of dh's clothing that he wore over there because of the possibility of bedbugs.  

Give 'em an extra round in the dryer on high heat just to be sure.  It will make you feel better! 

• Like 3

Nausea is better today. I haven't vomited. Yay, go me!

I was told I had a good-lookin' liver after a surgery to remove an ovarian cyst.

Loved the video, Slache. People are amazing! Wow!

We will try to have school tomorrow, I think. We have just done a little math and reading so far this week. Which is fine since I have felt like death warmed over.

• Like 8

Well, I finally got around to reading bits of WTM at the library. Sorry ITT, I love ya all, but that book is full of circular logic and abuse of logical fallacies (while it accuses others of same, which is ironic.) It's a bit of a cluster.

Love the board, love the folks, the book is nutso bananas.

Shut up.

• Like 3

Why did I click on that thread again?  WHY?  (I am yelling at myself.)  I know why, though.  Because deep down I really want to post my reaction, even though I know it will not go over well.   I shall resist the temptation.  I shan't post on that thread.

Quick, Ellie!  I need a hula video!

What thread already?!?

Ok, slap me upside the head, tell me I'm crazy, or whatever you need to do to knock some sense into me. 

As I've said before, my ultimate goal is to work the rest of this school year and then all of next year. I do not plan on returning to teach the 2017-2018 school year. Dd will be 5 that year and I plan on homeschooling. And, if you've read any of my teaching posts, you know that at times I truly dislike it; I don't really want to teach anymore, and if I could quit now, I would. 

So, that brings me to why I need some sense knocked into me. 
Over the Christmas break, 2 teachers combined their classrooms and are going to teach in the larger of the rooms. They will use the smaller room for other needs, one on one teaching, etc. 
They also got rid of all their desks, got new furniture (couches, pub tables with bar stools, and more alternative seating), and basically, it just looks exactly like what I was trying to do this year, but with VERY limited funds. I'm not really jealous, but I do wish that since I got the ball rolling with the alternative seating, that I could have received some funding instead of spending my own money. 
ANYWAY, now I'm second guessing my desire to stay home. I'm all "Maybe it's not that bad. Maybe if I do xyz, abc, lmn, etc that I'll like it again." 

My mom calls me a butterfly. I flit from one thing to another all the time. (I think some of this just goes back to second guessing myself and my decisions.) 

Anyway, just smack me upside the head, tell me to snap out of it, and remind me that I don't want my child's education to be the one that I'm currently providing. That's all. :)

• Like 2

I am interested in the book a month thing, too. Do we have a separate thread or will we post here? I remember reading something about it a few pages back, but I don't recall if it was decided or not.

I finished Drums of Autumn (Outlander book 4) yesterday thanks to the stomach flu. I received the Well Educated Mind second edition for Christmas and plan on starting that soon. Probably not all of it since I have read the first edition, but I do want to check out the new stuff. I'm about a third of the way through Don Quixote, but I have been for about a year or so. :D

• Like 4

Hi, everyone!  :seeya:

Lynn:  My biggest and most helpful revelation this year has been the need to transition slowly here.  I would not look at your schedule as "cutting" subjects but as staging their return.  Seriously.  We are having a light week here for just that reason.  I cannot tell you how much more peaceful and productive school has been this year.  It has been such a blessing.  I'm am only very ashamed that it took me so long to realize this need in DD and me.

Saxon:  **Pay attention here, Slash**  This, IMO, is one of those VERY "dependent on the kid" programs.  I hear what you're saying, Slash, about many kids doing well with Saxon; that is very true.  But beware:  Some kids do very, very badly with it.  We tried when first homeschooling and I shelved it after 1 day.  Seriously.  Then DD had it again in 5th grade at our local Christian school (we put DD in school for 4th grade when we moved-first at a public school :ack2: , then at the Christian school. The teacher for the 4/5 class was so awesome we left her through 5th.)  DD's experience with Saxon was awful.  She did NOT retain information, she hated the endless repetition, and came home for 6th "hating" math.  We spent a semester filling holes and the next semester restoring her confidence.  Please note:  My child LOVES math and is very good at it.  She is happily struggling with AoPs and does the EMF courses for "fun."  Seriously. She is quite verbal and is a conceptual thinker.  The reason that I am making such a big deal of this is that I suspect little John may share some of the same traits.  I guess my biggest caveat is that, while it is great to plan, our little darlings come the way God makes them and we (well, at least me) need to be prepared to change (Hmm.  This post is probably more about me;  not so good at flexibility here. :blushing: )

Tex:   :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:   People can be wretched.

• Like 6

Mary - even if you are able to get your classroom the way you want, that won't mean that  your dd will be taught by people with classrooms like that - esp. all the way through.  Plus -  one on one teaching has some benefits not found in group settings even though having group settings is important as well. 

Wise words, indeed.  Listen to Jean you should.

(Which is Yoda for :iagree: )

• Like 4

Mary - even if you are able to get your classroom the way you want, that won't mean that  your dd will be taught by people with classrooms like that - esp. all the way through.  Plus -  one on one teaching has some benefits not found in group settings even though having group settings is important as well. 

Oh, I agree. Thanks for the reminder. 

ETA2: I misread your post initially. So, read this next part if you want. If not, ignore it. lol 

I just meant I don't want her in this district provided with the educational content I am currently teaching - no spelling, no history, no science, no cursive. We teach math and reading/writing. Nothing else and that in it's self is rather questionable and not what I want for dd. 

I really don't want to do the team teaching. I just want all the goodies that go with it. haha 

I peaked into the room and there were so many kids. It was sensory overload for me. I wouldn't be a good teacher in that setting. 

I just need to stop chasing "shiny" things and continually changing my mind about what I want to do. Educationally, it is far better for me to homeschool. I just need to remember my end goal. 

You are very right - that one on one setting has some great benefits, some of which I know DD will need.

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Hey!  Stop with the picking on me!

You have one kid. It's different. Plus, I wanna do my crazy Spanish Greek thing which is a little outrageous.

Ok, slap me upside the head, tell me I'm crazy, or whatever you need to do to knock some sense into me. 

As I've said before, my ultimate goal is to work the rest of this school year and then all of next year. I do not plan on returning to teach the 2017-2018 school year. Dd will be 5 that year and I plan on homeschooling. And, if you've read any of my teaching posts, you know that at times I truly dislike it; I don't really want to teach anymore, and if I could quit now, I would. 

So, that brings me to why I need some sense knocked into me. 

Over the Christmas break, 2 teachers combined their classrooms and are going to teach in the larger of the rooms. They will use the smaller room for other needs, one on one teaching, etc. 

They also got rid of all their desks, got new furniture (couches, pub tables with bar stools, and more alternative seating), and basically, it just looks exactly like what I was trying to do this year, but with VERY limited funds. I'm not really jealous, but I do wish that since I got the ball rolling with the alternative seating, that I could have received some funding instead of spending my own money. 

ANYWAY, now I'm second guessing my desire to stay home. I'm all "Maybe it's not that bad. Maybe if I do xyz, abc, lmn, etc that I'll like it again." 

My mom calls me a butterfly. I flit from one thing to another all the time. (I think some of this just goes back to second guessing myself and my decisions.) 

Anyway, just smack me upside the head, tell me to snap out of it, and remind me that I don't want my child's education to be the one that I'm currently providing. That's all. :)

Stay home. Please. You have no idea how your life will change. I can't even put most of it into words.

Saxon:  **Pay attention here, Slash**  This, IMO, is one of those VERY "dependent on the kid" programs.  I hear what you're saying, Slash, about many kids doing well with Saxon; that is very true.  But beware:  Some kids do very, very badly with it.  We tried when first homeschooling and I shelved it after 1 day.  Seriously.  Then DD had it again in 5th grade at our local Christian school (we put DD in school for 4th grade when we moved-first at a public school :ack2: , then at the Christian school. The teacher for the 4/5 class was so awesome we left her through 5th.)  DD's experience with Saxon was awful.  She did NOT retain information, she hated the endless repetition, and came home for 6th "hating" math.  We spent a semester filling holes and the next semester restoring her confidence.  Please note:  My child LOVES math and is very good at it.  She is happily struggling with AoPs and does the EMF courses for "fun."  Seriously. She is quite verbal and is a conceptual thinker.  The reason that I am making such a big deal of this is that I suspect little John may share some of the same traits.  I guess my biggest caveat is that, while it is great to plan, our little darlings come the way God makes them and we (well, at least me) need to be prepared to change (Hmm.  This post is probably more about me;  not so good at flexibility here. :blushing: )

I can imagine, but I thought it would be a good start for most kids.

• Like 2

Mary, I don't have much advice, but :grouphug:

I would just take it a day at a time (or semester) and see what happens. A change of classroom furniture may make things seem a little better for a bit, but probably won't alter your desire to homeschool your dd. However, it may make public school teaching more tolerable. Maybe? Just some thoughts and feel free to ignore them.:D

• Like 1

Mary, I don't have much advice, but :grouphug:

I would just take it a day at a time (or semester) and see what happens. A change of classroom furniture may make things seem a little better for a bit, but probably won't alter your desire to homeschool your dd. However, it may make public school teaching more tolerable. Maybe? Just some thoughts and feel free to ignore them. :D

The finish line is insight and I'm getting antsy, I think. 

• Like 3

Mary, I guess maybe just be thankful that you find some aspects of work that appeal to you and inspire you since you plan to keep doing it another year?  It would be awful to have to finish this year and the next hating everything about it.  The final decision to leave it and stay home will work itself out at the right time.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Mary, I guess maybe just be thankful that you find some aspects of work that appeal to you and inspire you since you plan to keep doing it another year?  It would be awful to have to finish this year and the next hating everything about it.  The final decision to leave it and stay home will work itself out at the right time.  :grouphug:

Yeah, I'm having to find those silver linings. My last principal made it h*ll to work here and that completely burned out a lot of us. It's a lot nicer this year, more relaxed, and our principal now is letting us do some many things. (I'm currently rearranging my room and organizing so I can get rid of my teacher desk. The last principal would NEVER have let us get rid of any furniture.) 

A major silver lining is that it's a much safer and emotionally healthy environment. :)

• Like 2

Shut up.

Bananas.

If I can stomach it I'll make a laundry list later. There's no conspiracy to program children against religion in public schools, I'll just start there.

Anyhow, working on phonemes with the littlest today. First time we've really gotten down to brass tacks since we pulled her because.. life keeps happening.

I'm now officially (well, quasi-officially) telecommuting 3 days a week, with flexible hours, and so instruction can begin in earnest. We're just gonna start with reading, math, and self-directed study as she finds interests for now.