Menu

Ignore this thread!

They have sent public school students home for the day.  The sky is looking and sounding a bit dramatic.

It's a Dramatic Sky Booyah!

Our thread. . .    
is a very very very fine thread    
with nice friends on the Hive  
we help each other to thrive  
and everything is cozy because of you!    
La-la, la-la-la, la . . .

Jean, 6/2023

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Svengo.  How many lemons was that?!?!

I've never seen a lemonade bar but it sounds amazing.

it was a lot of lemons, but barely half of what is still on the tree. I had never heard of a lemonade bar, either. Apparently it’s lemonade and then you have a whole bunch of the fruity Torani’s syrups you can add to it.

• Like 2

Good morning!

After the storms yesterday we are having a good cool down for the next few days.  High temps only in the 50's.  I am in the midst of laundry and researching the benefits of donkey milk.  When ds19 gets back from his CC class I will head to Aldi and maybe Publix for groceries.  

We are heading for Texas (Clap Clap Clap Clap) on Friday morning.  I need to get my brain in gear.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

After the storms yesterday we are having a good cool down for the next few days.  High temps only in the 50's.  I am in the midst of laundry and researching the benefits of donkey milk.  When ds19 gets back from his CC class I will head to Aldi and maybe Publix for groceries.  

We are heading for Texas (Clap Clap Clap Clap) on Friday morning.  I need to get my brain in gear.

Coffee!

Seriously? I thought you were joking. I just looked it up and you'll be getting 4 minutes of totality there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Seriously? I thought you were joking. I just looked it up and you'll be getting 4 minutes of totality there.

Texas is no joking matter!  😂  Waco is supposed to be the Super Duper Eclipse Destination, as indicated by a severe lack of available lodging options. Good thing I booked a place in March of 2023.  I am hoping it's not cloudy.  But it will be nice to see my sister and family at any rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Slache said:

We're supposed to get 3 minutes, 42 seconds of totality. I am praying for clear skies as the weather forecast is showing partially cloudy.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

We're supposed to get 3 minutes, 42 seconds of totality. I am praying for clear skies as the weather forecast is showing partially cloudy.

Samsies. 

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday Eve!!

School and work.

We’re getting a storm in today. Temps are dropping 25 degrees and we’re getting some rain. Winter’s last hurrah, I guess.

DS seems to be recovering well from his wisdom teeth removal. 

That’s all.

• Like 4

EdPo:

Slachie, since you love to plan forward and have a kiddo the same age/grade as Oldest, you may have the best handle on this but I'm open to advice from anyone who has experience here:

For high school, I'm trying to figure out writing/English/lit. Oldest will complete R&S English 8 next year in 8th grade. Our plan is to use the full Notgrass textbook sequence throughout highschool. Is the writing/English/literature component in Notgrass enough on it's own or should I have Oldest do the 9/10 R&S books in 9th and 10th grades? I am considering skipping the 9/10 books and instead just have Oldest do the Notgrass writing/lit assignments with the R&S English handbook as reference and assigning at least 8 (instead of the recommended 6) writing projects.

• Like 2

Good morning!

I brought the girls to tutorial and stopped by Kroger on the way back.  Got home in time for ds19 to leave for work.  My goals for today: banish goats, pack & organize, take Little Pup out to potty 75 times, remember to pick up girls from tutorial, and make it to orchestra rehearsal tonight.  If I'm lucky, ds19 will let me trim his hair this afternoon.  Also I have to make a phone call.

Coffee!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Slachie, since you love to plan forward and have a kiddo the same age/grade as Oldest, you may have the best handle on this but I'm open to advice from anyone who has experience here:

For high school, I'm trying to figure out writing/English/lit. Oldest will complete R&S English 8 next year in 8th grade. Our plan is to use the full Notgrass textbook sequence throughout highschool. Is the writing/English/literature component in Notgrass enough on it's own or should I have Oldest do the 9/10 R&S books in 9th and 10th grades? I am considering skipping the 9/10 books and instead just have Oldest do the Notgrass writing/lit assignments with the R&S English handbook as reference and assigning at least 8 (instead of the recommended 6) writing projects.

I would decide to cover writing X days a week, then assign from Notgrass and R&S with no intention of doing either program completely, but being consistent in the process. 

My plan is to rotate between IEW and Clearwater Press for writing and use Old Western Culture for History and Literature. Old Western Culture has extremely little writing so I am fortunate in that I don't have to think about it too much. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would decide to cover writing X days a week, then assign from Notgrass and R&S with no intention of doing either program completely, but being consistent in the process. 

My plan is to rotate between IEW and Clearwater Press for writing and use Old Western Culture for History and Literature. Old Western Culture has extremely little writing so I am fortunate in that I don't have to think about it too much. 

I've heard of IEW, but not the others. Guess I've got more to look into. I thought you were planning on Notgrass for highschool, too, which is why I asked you. 😂

...and for a complete 180: Our R&S order with Middle's first grade stuff showed up today! Yay! We can start first grade on Monday, right? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've heard of IEW, but not the others. Guess I've got more to look into. I thought you were planning on Notgrass for highschool, too, which is why I asked you. 😂

...and for a complete 180: Our R&S order with Middle's first grade stuff showed up today! Yay! We can start first grade on Monday, right? 🤣

I bounce back and forth between using it and not. It feels "complete", it's just not our way, so I'm torn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

We have had rain and some hail.

It's snowing here. 

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I bounce back and forth between using it and not. It feels "complete", it's just not our way, so I'm torn.

I'm relooking at IEW now. Oldest likes Notgrass, but I'm not entirely convinced if it means needing to add another writing program. The biggest draw for me was having both the history & English/lit credits covered, but now I'm reading that it might not be enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It's snowing here. 

I'm relooking at IEW now. Oldest likes Notgrass, but I'm not entirely convinced if it means needing to add another writing program. The biggest draw for me was having both the history & English/lit credits covered, but now I'm reading that it might not be enough.

We are writing heavy. If you just want to do notgrass, it would be really easy to add in a poetry course, NaNoWriMo, grammar, free writes...

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Fri-yay!!

School and work!!

DS is bored out of his mind. I’m sure he wishes he could go back to work today, but his job does involve lifting, etc. and I’m not sure it would be a good idea. Otherwise, he has made a very quick recovery with little to no pain. Apparently his was an easy surgery since all the teeth had erupted already.

• Like 3

We just had an earthquake.  I'm in NJ, not a particularly earthquake prone area.    Preliminary is it was a 5.5.  

A few things rattled but nothing broke.  I was doing laundry and at first thought the washer just got super unbalanced because it was noisy.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

We just had an earthquake.  I'm in NJ, not a particularly earthquake prone area.    Preliminary is it was a 5.5.  

A few things rattled but nothing broke.  I was doing laundry and at first thought the washer just got super unbalanced because it was noisy.  

Oh wow. That a pretty good size.

• Like 2

Ok, I have a problem and need help thinking through it. I think we should maybe leave our church because of our pastor, but that's a huge ask for my family. Here are my concerns.

1. Pastor and my family disagree on some issues, namely calvanism and alcohol. I admit that neither is cut and dry and there are reasons people disagree on them so we never cared. However, it has come to our attention that he will twist scripture to prove his point. That's not even a red flag, just a giant red banner draped over the pulpit as far as I'm concerned. At first I felt that he was doing it unintentionally which I understand. We all feel that our personal beliefs are very important and have things like confirmation bias, but as I've questioned him I've noticed him saying things like "I know it doesn't say that, but that's what it was implying" and "I know that verse doesn't cover it, but it says that in other places in scripture," but of course he can't show me where.

2. He used this exact wording in a sermon: "I can show you where it says in scripture that there is no such thing as aliens." No. I've read the whole thing multiple times and ET was left out. I asked him about this and he said that if you take scripture as a whole, you can prove there are no aliens. I repeated his phrase to him and he admitted that it wasn't true and that he knew it wasn't true, but it didn't matter because aliens don't exist. He lied about The Word of God simply because he believes something to be true. 

To me, both of these are unforgivable as an ongoing issue. If he admitted wrongdoing and tried to stop this behavior we're good, but he justifies it which tells me he's going to keep doing it and I can't trust my pastor. 

3. Several small issues including bringing up financial wants in every sermon unil someone buys it for him, not responding to emergencies for days or at all in the name of work/life balance, and being secretive and authorative about church spending. Any of these I can look past, but the first two are extremely upsetting and getting worse. 

Our children love this church. We all do.

• Sad 3

@Slache I think I would go to the deacons and discuss your concerns with them.  This isn't just a personality conflict or something minor.  This is a problem that is happening from the pulpit and affects every member of the church (whether they are aware of it or not).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

@Slache I think I would go to the deacons and discuss your concerns with them.  This isn't just a personality conflict or something minor.  This is a problem that is happening from the pulpit and affects every member of the church (whether they are aware of it or not).

When he became pastor he did away with the idea of deacons.

Which I am just now realizing is another red flag...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I think maybe we should have them over. Either he's a good guy and he's screwing up, which I believe is the case, or he's malicious and I think a good conversation will stir the pot up and bring things to the surface. 

• Like 1

Unrelated, kind of. I am really tired of not having a spiritual leader. I am more biblically educated than anyone in my immediate life and it's frustrating. Y'all know I've come to you for spiritual matters, and I'm so grateful to have you, but I should not be going to "strangers on the internet" for these things. 

• Like 1

I do regularly talk to my old pastor. He was my first pastor at 17 and has always been there for me, I need someone to talk to who has more than 75% of their heart working and preferably within driving distance. 

As I said to Matt "He's going to die soon and that's going to greatly inconvenience me."

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Do you have a church council/elder board or some other accountability?

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1

Just now, KrissiK said:

Do you have a church council/elder board or some other form of accountability?

Nope. I didn't think about that until Junie said something. I didn't realize the implications when I found out.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Slache said:

This would be my biggest issue.  Accountability.  If there is no way to address concerns to a higher authority, then a member of a church has no good option after asking directly.  Either ignore (not OK) or leave (also not OK because you are trying to commit to walking and growing with a particular church family).  Also secretive about church spending?  Um. No.  (((Slache & family)))

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Slache said:

Nope. I didn't think about that until Junie said something. I didn't realize the implications when I found out.

This goes two ways, really.  The pastor and congregants both need support and protection from an actual authority.  Like, a group of "elders" who are just a bunch of the pastor's buddies is not really an authority.  I am a big stickler on this, lol.

• Like 3

Morning, Happy Saturday.

I'm off next week except for - makeup classes on Tuesday, running to the county courthouse to drop off paperwork another day, meeting with a possible new employee another day, pulling out all the shelves in the classroom to clean behind because we have an ant problem, for as many days as it takes, and maybe cleaning up my storage room a little bit (again, it's a mess again).  

• Like 2

This weekend all my children and I are going to the Punk Rock Flea Market in Trenton.  It's a huge event that sells all kinds of cool stuff.   We're driving down this afternoon once oldest dd gets off work, checking into our hotel then grabbing dinner.  Tomorrow we shop then drive home.  

• Like 3

Good morning!

Little Pup refused to be in his crate so I got very little sleep between shoving dogs off my bed and getting them to stop wrestling.

Today we will go over to my sister's house and toodle around town with them.

So. Much. Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Saturday!!

The storms have passed. AFSA this morning to get groceries and a birthday present for some girl in Baby’s class. The Birthday Party is this afternoon.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This would be my biggest issue.  Accountability.  If there is no way to address concerns to a higher authority, then a member of a church has no good option after asking directly.  Either ignore (not OK) or leave (also not OK because you are trying to commit to walking and growing with a particular church family).  Also secretive about church spending?  Um. No.  (((Slache & family)))

29 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This goes two ways, really.  The pastor and congregants both need support and protection from an actual authority.  Like, a group of "elders" who are just a bunch of the pastor's buddies is not really an authority.  I am a big stickler on this, lol.

What Susan said. Churches are very difficult things. Some denominations have good structures in place to deal with this kind of things. We went to a Presbyterian church for 10 years and things got really bad with the pastor and some congregants, and while it got ugly and I don’t think the church ever really recovered, I felt like the support and actions taken by the denomination was appropriate and well done.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 73349 said:

Slache, have you started looking at your other local options? Trustworthiness in leadership is no small matter.

Today I shall Do Many Things!

No, I don't know yet if we're going to.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I should have specified that he's secretive about spending before he does it. We have accurate records, it's just not uncommon for us to shoe up to $20,000 spent without warning. I really don't care, but if you add it to the other things I don't like it. He's bought things like a new sound system, stuff for the church van, etc. It's not like he's wearing a Rollex he spent church money on.

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

All the churches I've ever belonged to are in denominations with a large hierarchy, with church level, state/council level, and national level reporting possibilities.  

We've always been independent Baptists.

42 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

What Susan said. Churches are very difficult things. Some denominations have good structures in place to deal with this kind of things. We went to a Presbyterian church for 10 years and things got really bad with the pastor and some congregants, and while it got ugly and I don’t think the church ever really recovered, I felt like the support and actions taken by the denomination was appropriate and well done.

Thinking about it, all of my churches have had major problems. This is just the first time I was there for the problem, it's always just been stories of past drama. Every church has drama, but I mean big, church ending/splitting stuff.

• Like 2

I did a recipe purge. I had 3 binders full of recipes that i had been collecting over the years. I went through them all, tossed every one that I had not used and put only the ones I use in one binder. Whew!! That felt good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I did a recipe purge. I had 3 binders full of recipes that i had been collecting over the years. I went through them all, tossed every one that I had not used and put only the ones I use in one binder. Whew!! That felt good.

Konmari FTW!

• Like 3

Good morning!

Yesterday we made paper lanterns at the local art center and then toodled around Magnolia a little, ran into Joanna's mom who was on her prayer walk, had some coffee while the girls did some swing dancing on the patio, then failed to find an open pickleball court and went back to Sister's house for dinner and a game of Code Names.

I got a little bit more sleep last night once I kicked the whiney Sir Pups-a-lot out of my room and offered him a sleeping spot in the living room that he found acceptable.  Cried for just a little while over having to deal with ds19's issues yet again and then finally slept. I'm using the keurig this morning because I discovered that the pot of coffee I made yesterday was made with coffee that expired in 2019.  We'll probably be fine, right?

Dd15 cut her foot on some cement this morning while chasing around with the dogs outside.  We found a couple bandaids in the bathroom.

We have a busy day planned with a concert, lantern walk, and drone show.  Hopefully we can find an open pickleball court at some point.

Coffee!

• Like 3