Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.   Happy Friday.   Except it being Friday means I'm running out of time to get things done for next week.  I only have a few more things to do - some laminating, some cutting out, some things to set up.   Dd's friend is meeting us at the lake Sunday afternoon for swimming and kayaking, and dh just told me that my mother wants us to come over for dinner.  So that should be interesting and rushed.   

We've been talking to our landlord about needing more space (I've posted on here but a while ago).  The big, huge nice space next to us doesn't seem like it's going to happen so we've been talking about leasing a small space above us to use for storage, which will allow us to clear some stuff out of our current space and divide one room into two classrooms.  Not ideal, but doable short term.   We saw the space about two weeks ago and they were supposed to send us an addendum to our lease for the small space by mid-week that week.  We finally got it yesterday and it's not what we agreed to.  Utilities were supposed to be included and there's fees for them on this addendum.  It also appears that they are trying to add an administrative fee to our ENTIRE lease, including the space we've had for three years.   They tried to do that before and we told them no, it's not in our lease and we don't agree to adding it (we have right to renew and they can't just decide to add fees).  So now it appears they will be trying to play games and add fees if we take this additional space.   

So dh and I are going to look at a new space today.  It's about 2 miles from our current space, so people who have already registered shouldn't have a problem with the move, if it works out.   It's quite a bit bigger than our current space, on a major highway, and in a nicer building.  It's more expensive, but less per month than if we took the big space next to us.   And we won't have to deal with these idiots anymore.  

Finger crossed it's a good situation and works out.

• Like 4

Good morning from Cimarron, NM!

Not ketchupped or spicy ketchupped.

We all survived and are back at base camp and driving to Denver soon for our flight home.   Easiest 40 miles of backpacking I’ve ever done except for the last day which kicked my butt. I will tell stories later.

I have not had coffee in a week. 😭  

Coffee!

#isaidbutt

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have got far too much planned over the next 6 months for someone with no money and no energy.

I've started reading again.

I love having the kids empty and load the dishwasher and do the laundry. It's kind of life changing.

Yep. :)

• Like 3

We are still in Denver. Our flight has been delayed several times but it seems hopeful that we will be able to board in an hour.  And with any luck we’ll be home by 3am. I had a tasty chicken salad sandwich for dinner. 

We had all kinds of exciting nighttime weather this past week. One night was a severe lightning storm (no rain) and we had to spend some time in "lightning position". Another night it was so cold I had on 3 shirts, 2 pants, wool socks, a hat, and used my dry-sack-inflation-bag as a sleeping bag liner. Still very cold. Our last  night there was a wind storm and our tents kept collapsing and coming apart. You could hear the rush of wind coming down the mountain like a huge wave. 

We didn’t sleep much and generally started getting dressed and packed up before 5am. It was starting to get light out by then anyways and the early birds were waking up. 

It’s a Backpacking Bedtime Bonanza Booyah! 

ITT Fight Song:

We are ITT   

a happy lucky posting family

We are ITT

Get up everybody and sing!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Great 2021 Heat Wave has begun.  I had to gently poke Rusty with a stick earlier to see if he was still breathing.  Ice packs, fans, access to water etc. but it's still so hot for him and I worry about his heart.  I think that tomorrow I am going to move the bunnies into the living room where I have the portable a/c.  (Nothing seems to phase Aria but her fur is much shorter than Rusty's and as far as I know, she doesn't have a heart problem.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Portal has opened. 
VBS is done. My adorable 4 year old announced loudly, “I really gotta poop,” this evening. She is a hoot.

My allergies are killing me. Killing me, I tell you.

That is all I know.

But fortunately, 

whitehawk, on 22 May 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

ITT rule Section WTM-4.6J, No ITTer shall die for any reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  Happy Saturday.   I have today and a few hours tomorrow morning to have everything ready for next weeks camps.   It shouldn't be a problem, most is done already but I do have to run to the AFSA today. 

Tomorrow we're meeting dd's friends at the lake and dh told my mother we'd go to her house for dinner so the afternoon and evening are going to be completely shot.  At some point I have to set up some school for next week.   Dd won't be starting her new math (MUS Algebra) yet because she'll definitely need one on one time especially the first week, and I'll be doing camp all day every day next week.   She can continue doing some skills review stuff she's been working on while we figured out where to go. 

The new space was amazing.  Large enough for growth, clean, well lighted, very professional staff.  And really really expensive.   We're not sure we're ready to jump our expenses up quite that high at this point in time, and especially not with this short of notice to September since to make up that increase we'd need to increase our offerings and possibly do even more hiring.  <<sigh>>  I love it but really don't want to expand too fast and put ourselves in a bad financial situation.

I can't even add another classroom to our current space without some outside storage.  I'm really annoyed about the upstairs space issue and would prefer not to deal with current landlords about that.   I'm thinking maybe we'll buy a storage trailer that we could park at our house.  We could get one for what would be about 10 months rent on that upstairs space, then they couldn't play games trying to get extra fees on our current lease, we could clear things out to add our third classroom, expand a little bit without upping our expenses too much.    Then hire a couple extra teachers and grow but in a slower, less risky way.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Atomic Habits and I want to start a fiction. I've been doing The One Year Bible since January, but I've been too tired to do anything else. A comedic fiction. I want that.

That is a good book and it really works. I should read it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Atomic Habits and I want to start a fiction. I've been doing The One Year Bible since January, but I've been too tired to do anything else. A comedic fiction. I want that.

You might like The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz.  Very funny.  Full of spicy ketchup.

Now that I'm home I can get back to The Fifth Gospel.  Not a comedy, but good.  I also have Lonesome Dove on hold at the library.  Not sure why I picked that one.  Oh - it's for the Pulitzer category.

Edited by Susan in TN

We saw a big black bear on one of our trails - he was on the other side of the ravine, so we were able to watch him a bit in safety.  We don't believe it was Kung Fu Amanda, the nuisance bear who broke into the conservation guys' shed and drank their gasoline.  They were getting a bit worried about her because they hadn't seen her for a couple days.

There was a Murder Kitten (mountain lion) stalking some of the rangers in our area but we did not see him.  We named him Mikey.  When it comes to murder kittens, the buddy system is your friend - they don't usually mess with groups.

Other than that, we saw burros and chickens and goats and horses at the ranches and staffed camps, and buffalo and deer and antelope and rabbits and a meadow filled with welcoming prairie dogs.

• Like 5

Back from the Afsa. Spent too much money getting ready for our trip. I know travel sized hygienic products are not worth the $, but I have issues with packing and the easier I make it on myself the better. Don’t judge me. And of course I had to buy snacks. And our flight leaves the Big City at 7:15am, which means we leave home at 5:30am. Which means breakfast on the go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to make strawberry freezer jam. I have a huge thing of strawberries, because DH bought some, thinking we needed more fruit. We have 2 cantaloupes and a watermelon in the fridge still. At least I can make freezer jam and not waste the strawberries. We will eat the other fruit before we leave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Susan saw all the good wild life. Did you see any Nope Ropes or Danger noodles??

We did not see any sneks with the hurt juice, though a couple other crews let us know  when they had seen one.  We were trained/warned Very Thoroughly on the issue of Nope Ropes, especially rattle-y ones.  Apparently, any bite gets you an emergency hour long ride to the nearest town with a dose of antidote (if you can hike to a staffed camp in time) which will only keep you alive for the couple hours needed to helicopter you to Colorado Springs.

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I love this so much!

Slache: I would just like to point at that I, a semi-bedridden individual, has kept the house cleaner and gotten more school done since you went back to work, than you did as a fully able bodied person.
Matt: Good job.
S: That's not what I was looking for.
M: What were you looking for?
S: Some self reflection.
M: You say I have no executive functioning skills.
S: You had a year to develop them.
M: A year and a half.

• Haha 3

11 pm and the heat has just really gotten to me.  I'm not sure why now - perhaps because I got hotter and sweatier exerting energy doing all my evening chores?  The a/c isn't keeping up.  I put the bunnies in their room now (they were in with the a/c most of the day) but I have the windows wide open in there and the fan on full blast.  I have just told dh that I just can't manage going to church tomorrow.  For one thing, I still have a sick bunny here and with tomorrow being even hotter, I don't see how I can do everything I need to do in time to commute to church.  The nice thing though is now we have online church as well because of Covid so I won't really miss out. 

• Like 4

Looks like we are also going to have a super hot, oppressive week, with the usual pop up afternoon thunderstorms.   Yuck.   I'm really hoping my AC at the science center continues working.  They guy wasn't optimistic when he came and fixed it but so far it's doing okay.  

I'm going to suggest the girls get together at the science center this afternoon instead of the lake.  Between heat advisory and chance of thunderstorms, the lake doesn't seem like a good call.  I'm just waiting until it's not so early to send a message to the mom.   Bonus, this will allow me to get some more things ready for camp this week.  One thing I want to do is set up canopies outside for snack time and maybe some activities, but given the heat I don't think we'll be doing much outside so I have to decide if it's worth setting them up this week.  I have one already set up but have two more I bought for camps.  

Our mask mandate has been lifted for camps.   I'm basically going to play it by ear.  Everyone currently registered signed up when the mandates were on and looked like they'd be continuing, and I know many people who registered want to continue them.  So, no official announcement but I won't require them if people ask.  Teachers will continue to wear them. 

• Like 5

Looks like we are also going to have a super hot, oppressive week, with the usual pop up afternoon thunderstorms.   Yuck.   I'm really hoping my AC at the science center continues working.  They guy wasn't optimistic when he came and fixed it but so far it's doing okay.  

I'm going to suggest the girls get together at the science center this afternoon instead of the lake.  Between heat advisory and chance of thunderstorms, the lake doesn't seem like a good call.  I'm just waiting until it's not so early to send a message to the mom.   Bonus, this will allow me to get some more things ready for camp this week.  One thing I want to do is set up canopies outside for snack time and maybe some activities, but given the heat I don't think we'll be doing much outside so I have to decide if it's worth setting them up this week.  I have one already set up but have two more I bought for camps.  

Our mask mandate has been lifted for camps.   I'm basically going to play it by ear.  Everyone currently registered signed up when the mandates were on and looked like they'd be continuing, and I know many people who registered want to continue them.  So, no official announcement but I won't require them if people ask.  Teachers will continue to wear them. 

• Like 1

And it looks like we are going to go for the new bigger nicer space.   It will up our expenses quite a bit but also allow us to expand our offerings in many different ways, hopefully making up for that increase in expenses.   Based on current enrollments and interest levels, it should work out.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Back from the Afsa. Spent too much money getting ready for our trip. I know travel sized hygienic products are not worth the $, but I have issues with packing and the easier I make it on myself the better. Don’t judge me. And of course I had to buy snacks. And our flight leaves the Big City at 7:15am, which means we leave home at 5:30am. Which means breakfast on the go.

Have a great trip!!  Ssy "Hi" to Mickey for us!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

And it looks like we are going to go for the new bigger nicer space.   It will up our expenses quite a bit but also allow us to expand our offerings in many different ways, hopefully making up for that increase in expenses.   Based on current enrollments and interest levels, it should work out.  

So exciting!

• Like 2

Good morning!

I am also staying home from church this morning.  My intestinal system decided to throw a major rebellion last night.  And my face is weirdly puffy.  I think my body is tired and confused and not sure what to do with itself.

The laundry is done and sleeping bags have been washed and are hanging to dry.  Tent is airing out.  I need to shake the dirt out of my backpack and wipe down my hiking boots.

Dh has ordered me a new phone.  My little 5s has been having "issues" for a while and is now literally falling apart and coming open on the sides.  

Coffee!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So exciting!

It's very exciting and also a little scary.   It's funny because in the middle of the night it occurred to me that I had done the math wrong and the rent wasn't going to be as high as I thought it was.  Still quite a bit more than we pay now but not quite as big of a jump as we thought.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning. I came. I liked. Caffeine.

I've got to finish up a revision today, which will make two novel revisions of two 80,000 word books in a month. Next month is NaNoWriMo, in which I have 100,000 words to write, an editor to hire for another revision on yet another book, oh, and I have to revise (again) one of those 80K things down to 70K. 

It's hot here, but not as hot as it could be. We are still very green from all the rain this spring, and that seems to be helping for now. But this is traditionally the point where I start counting down until autumn when things get more reasonable. 90 days.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!

Church and church picnic!!

I am up early this morning to help cut fruit for the church picnic.

Toto: I’m really excited about your plans. If you have a website, PM it to me, I would love to check it out.

Jeannie: Hang in there. You can come join us at our summer home in Patagonia. I will make the guest room ready for you and the bun-buns.

Susan: Rest up. I hope you feel better.

Susan’s DD: congratulations!!

Junie: yay for getting things done!!

Slashie: fist bump!

Critter: yay for many many words!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Toto: I’m really excited about your plans. If you have a website, PM it to me, I would love to check it out.

NorthJerseyHomeschoolScience.com.   (not worried about keeping private since it's obviously pretty public locally and I've shared here on WTM before).  

• Like 4