Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I need book lists people!  I know you guys can come through for me.   I need good books for me to read, good books for the kids.  

Dd is 11 and a pretty slow reader.   Ds is 13 and reads pretty quickly, supposedly hates sad endings but really liked Fahrenheit 451 and is reading the Hunger Games without issues.

Did you check AO, SL, BFB & Mensa? Mensa's list has much more modern reads, SL is a good mix, I feel like the other two are only classics.

There are websites that will recommend books based on what you like. Sometimes I'll go to the amazon page and look at related titles.

What about Harry Potter and Piercy Jackson? I've read the former but not the latter.

• Like 2

All of us have read Harry Potter, Percy Jackson.  Ds and I have read Lord of the Rings, dd hasn't yet but it's on the plan.

We do have the Mensa list printed off, I should take a look at it.

I like sci fi/fantasy, mysteries, romance.  Ds seems to like sci fi/fantasy too but hard to say.  Dd likes Thea Stilton.  Everything else she only reads because I require it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

All of us have read Harry Potter, Percy Jackson.  Ds and I have read Lord of the Rings, dd hasn't yet but it's on the plan.

We do have the Mensa list printed off, I should take a look at it.

I like sci fi/fantasy, mysteries, romance.  Ds seems to like sci fi/fantasy too but hard to say.  Dd likes Thea Stilton.  Everything else she only reads because I require it.

Are those mysteries?  Would she like the Nancy Drew books?  I think those are a touch more difficult but are still interesting reads. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning.  Busy morning here with camp business while I'm sipping my bone broth.  For those who pray, please pray that some important camp business (which I only have nominal control over) gets done today- properly and with grace but with no wiffle-waffling. 

Praying.  ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are back from the things and places.  The girls' recital rehearsal went very well - their accompanist is amazing and super nice and supportive.  My friend Ruby was at the Old Lady Party today!  I haven't seen her for months - she said she was very sick for a long time and had pneumonia.  Her daughter is having a baby, which is very exciting and she is still proud as buttons of her grandson, who is in high school now.  She had a fancy new hairdo today, too.  :smile:  

I'll be bringing dd12 to her scout girls campout in a while and then stick dinner in the oven - shepherd's pie.

More Coffee!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Critter, have you heard any news?  

Also, we want to know all about your art show!!!

Not yet. I'm hoping that means nothing scary popped up on the xrays and ultrasound. Probably Monday will gather all the data and see what happens next. 

I hope I don't have to give the speech for the art show! My teacher was supposed to do that, but her husband has been very sick and he had an emergency Friday and is back in the hospital. It should be a nice day for the show, though. I hope she gets a break and can come in for it. And that her husband is better.

• Like 5

In other news, I cleaned the bedroom and organized myself into exhaustion. But all my character and world work is in my new filing cabinet, my art stuff is back where it should be, and I can see the top of my desk and dresser again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I cleaned out a drawer of my desk, and some things from the top. Yay me.

On the job front, I've learned that Thomas Edison flew a kite with a key on it, got struck by lightning, and as a result made powerlines. Which is how we have electricity today.

That is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Renai said:

I cleaned out a drawer of my desk, and some things from the top. Yay me.

On the job front, I've learned that Thomas Edison flew a kite with a key on it, got struck by lightning, and as a result made powerlines. Which is how we have electricity today.

That is all.

I KNEW THIS! And not from homeschooling! It's one of like the 4 things I learned in school! I am so proud of the fact that another adult did not know this and I did. I actually know a lot about geeky inventors and I'm pretty sure my 6th grade math teacher used to tell stories about them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Isn't it proper to mourn for lack of ITT time and lack of sanity?  😜

If so then we should always be in the mourning. I guess that explains all the chocolate.

13 minutes ago, ikslo said:

My dog actually played with other dogs at the park today.  It made me so happy. So we stayed for like 2 hours and he was good the whole time and I met people. Yay!!

What kind of dog?

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Also, mourn for us.  I was going to fix pancakes for a late supper for my swimmer and my actor, but we are out of eggs.  

I found a recipe for pancakes without eggs.  Swimmer loved them.  Actor will try them when he gets home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm actually feeling pretty well.

Dh and the kids traveled separately, so I only had to take care of myself.

The services were nice.  There were a lot more people than I expected.

My mom is doing as well as can be expected.  

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We're having violent thunderstorms and Alex is very frightened so Matt is giving him a short physics lesson. People wonder why I think my husband might be autistic.

Makes sense to me. Actually that sounds like something my DH would do, Combatting fear with knowledge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

Makes sense to me. Actually that sounds like something my DH would do, Combatting fear with knowledge.

I guess you'd have to hear it. Alex is not potty trained and doesn't know what positive or negatively charged particles are. He could never vocabulary for a toddler.

• Haha 5

Good Morning!  Good Coffee!  Dh is at drill.  DD has swim in a bit and we're picking up a friend to hang out with ds most of the day.  And tonight we go to see older ds in Guys and Dolls - last performance.  And Oldest ds comes home today and is bringing a friend from college to stay for a few days.  (Wow that's a lot of socializing in one day, lol!)

WT, hope you have safe travels and a lovely trip!

Junie, hope you can sleep well!

I like to hear the train if it's not too loud.  There was one a couple miles from us growing up, so I always think of that when I hear one.  

May the 4th be with you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Why, oh why, is the SAT so early in the morning?

I'd answer you, but you TOLD me not to use that language!

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

And, I almost forgot:

May the 4th be with you.

And also with you.

And with your son. And my daughter. And any other test takers.

In other news: I fear that I shall strangle my neighbor's granddaughter. She's been here all week. On Tuesday I asked whether she was sick and got an, "oh, no. I'm having a serious allergy problem. Nonna knows about." I started with the sore throat on Thursday night and the Boo started yesterday. 🤨 Someone got a rather scorching talking-to last night.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Good morning!  May the 4th be with you!

I slept for almost 8 hours!  Must be a record.  

We are getting desperate for a lawn mowing but it's going to rain all day again today.  Maybe tomorrow.  Dd10 has a children's choir performance at a nursing home in The Big City, and then they are going roller skating.  I don't have to stay for that part (whew!) so I'll get her situated and run a couple errands and then pick her up.  

Coffee!

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!! I slept for 9.5 hours last night. I needed it. 

May the Fourth be with you all.

We’re going to take the kids to see Avengers this morning!!

Regarding train whistles, we live in a small town and the train tracks are only a couple blocks away. So it is loud and actually abrasive, and it sounds at every crossing as it makes its way through town. And it wakes you up out of a sound sleep and you almost hit the ceiling. And then you count each whistle and hope it’s the last one, but..... nope. There’s one more.  And one more. And sometimes there’s engineers that you are pretty sure have a grudge against people who get to sleep at night and so they really lay on the whistle in an sort of, “I can’t sleep so you can’t either” sort of way.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

Good morning. I am so over not sleeping. I woke up at 10:10.

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

No IF this morning.  Not with a long drive ahead of me.

It actually becomes a pretty convienent tool when you get good at it. On the move out hear my food allergy avoidance method was not eating.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2