Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Monday Morning!  Drinking my own coffee again, ahhhhhh.  Nice to be home.  The last hour and a half of the trip had icy patches so I kept a lower speed than normal, but the moon helped light up the road which was great!

Youngest is skipping co-op classes this morning since we were late getting home.  Everyone else is going about things as normal.  Dh will start a fire in a bit (it's SO cold!).  And we're getting a couch and chair today to complete our basement re-model.  Finally!  (Okay, it eventually will need more than that - probably a rug, etc, but that stuff will come along slowly.)

• Like 5

Good Monday morning!  Dang it!  I totally forgot about the blood wolf moon, guess I should've put it in my planner.  We watched a movie and went to bed since everyone was still feeling poorly.  The boys and I will do our morning time routine and then they will be free to relax and get better for the remainder of the day.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  We looked at the moon once, then I fell asleep.  I heard them go out once more, then they fell asleep.

I so didn't want the Patriots to win!  I will definitely root for the Rams!

Dc and I are going to see a free movie this morning--that new dog-gets-lost-and-finds-his-way-home movie.  Dd and I don't want to see it, but ds does and it's free, so...

Dh will be working with his softball teams today.  It's too cold for all dat.

time!

Enjoy your movie!

• Like 1

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Slache your new apartment sounds wonderful!  I am so happy to not have a screen in my living room.  Some People said I wouldn't like it, but they were wrong.  Not that we don't have screens elsewhere - TV and laptop in the attic bonus room and a PC in the corner of the kitchen.  Let us know if the apartment managers need a "nudge" from the ENB.

Glad you are home safe, Lynn!  I was a little worried about your roads last night.

So why are we going to San Diego in June?

Yay - Krissi's getting rain!

No school today.  Most of the kids are on their way home from the youth group retreat.  A friend of ds23 is coming over to practice for his group piano class on our piano in a little bit.  We are babysitting some friends of the kids tonight.  Dh is currently going to town with the vacuum cleaner.  I'm doing my part by staying out of the way.  :laugh:

Coffee!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

Tomorrow the island is supposed to be installed.

Wait.  WHAT??? 😵

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I was thinking "Wow, Ellie is going to get our island installed!  I wonder where in the ocean she will install it?  I think that I'm still a bit sick. . .   Especially once I realized that it wasn't OUR island but just a kitchen island. . .   

Oh. Never mind. 😒

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!!! But it’s a holiday Monday!!!👍👍👍

I slept horribly last night. I think it was the COFFEE!!!~D We had dinner at some friends house last night and the guy roasts his own COFFEE~D beans. And get the beans from exotic locations. Like Ethiopia. So, yeah, of course I’m going to have some. But I didn’t Sleep well as a result. Oh well, the price we pay....

We had a storm last night. Lots of wind. Well, for us it was a lot of wind. I’m sure for many of you it would be considered a slight breeze. 😂 There’s all kind of debris on the ground from our trees, but everything is soggy, too, so I guess I will wait to clean it up.

DD has an appt. with the allergist today. Then I am going to try to make good use of my day by getting school stuff done and tackling some of the piles left from the move.

• Like 6

It was too cold to go look at the moon.  Plus I was asleep by then.

I got to the classroom and after a couple of tries was able to get the door open.  We are putting our own lock on tonight because landlord doesn't want to give us a key.  We were supposed to put our own lock on but were waiting because there is still work they were supposed to do around here.  Since it looks like they aren't ever going to actually come by and do the work, we might as well go ahead and change the locks.  

Busy week - It's the last week of the session for any classes that didn't use a snowday.  I have three that go into next week.   Two classes today, then tutoring and 4-H.  Three classes tomorrow, Teen hangout, then my Tech Tuesday job.  Rest of the week will be quieter - classes, some tutoring, D&D club, workshop on Saturday.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm making red bell pepper soup. The recipe calls for cheese and chips as a topping but I'm not allowed to have chips. Suggestions? I'm thinking shaved almonds. Maybe cashews?

Can you have chick peas/garbanzo beans?? Sauté them in a little butter and season them and they are crunch and tasty. I like them on top of salads instead of croutons. But you have to use them right away. You can’t make a bunch and save them. They’re really yummy.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Like, canned?

Yes. Drain and rinse. Then put them in a little sauté pan with some butter and sauté them till they are brown and crunchy and then put some seasoning salt on top. I like to nibble on them plain, but they are also good as toppings for salads, etc.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have given the girls their assignments for the week.  The littles are taking the day off.  I'm not sure about the middles.

Dd16 is trying to get caught up.  She is still struggling with homeschooling and working 20ish hours a week.

We watched Dr. Martin Luther King's speech and and the older 3 also watched 5 minute documentary about it.  Then the older 2 and I had a short chat about race in America and the impact of the 1960s civil rights movement.  Also, how the older generations (grandparents and great-grandparents) grew up before the 60s and how that has shaped their attitudes about race.

• Like 7

My hip is better and the sun is shining. But it's still cold. The chickens were looking pitiful this morning (because cold), so they had warmed chicken treats and I ordered they get their heat lamp on all day. They seem to approve. They have their windows covered with plastic, and the heat lamp at night, but it just gets bitterly cold and they don't like it. 

Writing this morning, revising this afternoon, and feeling really down about everything. It will pass.

ETA: I need waterfalls, but it's too cold to get out and hunt for them. Two more months, and then we may get a few good days to get out in the woods.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Libby's having a hard time today.  I always carry her up the lower flight of stairs to the landing (we're split level) and she goes out to potty by herself.  Then she slowly goes up the second flight of stairs herself, maybe with a rest halfway through.  But today she got halfway up the second flight, collapsed and slid down on her side.  I carried her up that flight as well.  She just collapsed again by the water bowl but I see that she's managed to get up and hop away.  She doesn't appear to be in any distress. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Someone needs to tell me what fitness tracker to buy. I hate shopping. I hate technology. I super duper hate shopping for technology.

I am happy with my Fitbit Blaze but I don't know if you would be.  It tracks my steps.  And my heartrate.  And my sleep (though I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that).  And my general sedentariness (ie. it keeps track of how many daytime hours I spend getting at least 250 steps).  And stairs.  And my calories (as in a base calorie burn plus how much I burn in exercise).  If I want, I can track my food through their site.  (I do it through Sparkpeople and it syncs with Fitbit but you can do it directly as well.)  It tracks "active minutes" - ie. 10 min. of continuous moderate activity. I can also specially track certain exercises - I hit a button to start and it keeps track of time and steps (at least for walking or running.  I haven't used it for strength training etc. so I don't know how it tracks that.)  It also has a couple of built in exercise routines that you can do if you want.  But earlier you said what you wanted in a tracker and I can't remember if that hits all the wants for you or not. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

It was too cold to go look at the moon.  Plus I was asleep by then.

I got to the classroom and after a couple of tries was able to get the door open.  We are putting our own lock on tonight because landlord doesn't want to give us a key.  We were supposed to put our own lock on but were waiting because there is still work they were supposed to do around here.  Since it looks like they aren't ever going to actually come by and do the work, we might as well go ahead and change the locks.  

Busy week - It's the last week of the session for any classes that didn't use a snowday.  I have three that go into next week.   Two classes today, then tutoring and 4-H.  Three classes tomorrow, Teen hangout, then my Tech Tuesday job.  Rest of the week will be quieter - classes, some tutoring, D&D club, workshop on Saturday.

I so wish I lived near you, my boys would be in your science class in a heartbeat!

51 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

I so wish I lived near you, my boys would be in your science class in a heartbeat!

I had the same thought earlier today.  I hate teaching science -- especially labs -- and I would totally put my girls in your classes if we could afford it.

• Like 2

We optometristed. I'm not blind yet.

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Someone needs to tell me what fitness tracker to buy. I hate shopping. I hate technology. I super duper hate shopping for technology.

If you liked your Garmin I'd get another.

Fitbit Ionic for GPS, Alta HR for connected GPS. There is a $150+ difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am happy with my Fitbit Blaze but I don't know if you would be.  It tracks my steps.  And my heartrate.  And my sleep (though I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that).  And my general sedentariness (ie. it keeps track of how many daytime hours I spend getting at least 250 steps).  And stairs.  And my calories (as in a base calorie burn plus how much I burn in exercise).  If I want, I can track my food through their site.  (I do it through Sparkpeople and it syncs with Fitbit but you can do it directly as well.)  It tracks "active minutes" - ie. 10 min. of continuous moderate activity. I can also specially track certain exercises - I hit a button to start and it keeps track of time and steps (at least for walking or running.  I haven't used it for strength training etc. so I don't know how it tracks that.)  It also has a couple of built in exercise routines that you can do if you want.  But earlier you said what you wanted in a tracker and I can't remember if that hits all the wants for you or not. 

Thanks, Jean. I honestly don't know what I want; I think that's the problem. When I start looking at the various models, I get myself confused. Jo's follow-up appointment at Shriner's on the 31st. Maybe I'll just go look at what they have at Costco and try to figure it out. The first one was easy-I just bought the cheapest one I could find (a refurbished Garmin.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

JJM, I don't know what you should get, but I agree that if you liked your Garmin maybe you should stick with that.  

That's my inclination, but I don't think that it will talk to the Fitbit group. If I got to do Fitbit ITT, I could pretend that I have a social life.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mama25angels said:

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I had the same thought earlier today.  I hate teaching science -- especially labs -- and I would totally put my girls in your classes if we could afford it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the sentiment.  

Have I ever posted details about my classes/science center?  I wasn't sure if I had or not.

• Like 1

It's negative 7 degrees with the windchill right now and heading down.  I don't really want to go back outside, but we have a 4-H meeting tonight.  On the bright side, my classroom is way warmer than my house, much less drafty.  I can feel a literal breeze sitting in my living room.  Not sure if it's from the front door, the windows, the fireplace, or right through the walls. Could be all of the above.  

It may get up to 50 degrees on Wednesday.  Such screwy weather.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't think so.  I would love to hear about it!

Website is NorthJerseyHomeschoolScience.com.  I was hesitant to post since it connected my here to my there, but really anyone who knows me IRL can easily figure out who I am here, and my business website and facebook are already public.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Made my first “chef” dinner after watching a cooking show and then looking up the recipe. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/sticky-lamb-chops/

Dh and dd were excited. It was pretty tasty. 

Yum.

If you like lamb, McCormicks has a Gourmet Greek Seasoning Blend that is fabulous on it. And it has to be the "gourmet" blend. The regular is yucky.

We bought 2 butchered lambs from my hay guy this year, so we have quite a bit in the freezer.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Website is NorthJerseyHomeschoolScience.com.  I was hesitant to post since it connected my here to my there, but really anyone who knows me IRL can easily figure out who I am here, and my business website and facebook are already public.

Wow!!

I am really impressed by the number of offerings you have.  You must be exhausted.

I would totally send my kids there if I lived closer.

I get bent out of shape if someone asks to do even the simplest of science experiments.  It is obvious that you love your work and I'm sure the kids pick up on your enthusiasm.

In fact, I should probably take your classes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Wow!!

I am really impressed by the number of offerings you have.  You must be exhausted.

I would totally send my kids there if I lived closer.

I get bent out of shape if someone asks to do even the simplest of science experiments.  It is obvious that you love your work and I'm sure the kids pick up on your enthusiasm.

In fact, I should probably take your classes.

Thanks.  I'm definitely keeping busy these days.  😆    Enough of the classes are general mixed classes where I can pick whatever I want to do from week-to-week (and even do the same things in multiple classes, 4-H and my Tech Tuesday job), that it's not too crazy.    I definitely warn parents that classes are messy and they should not send kids in good clothes (facebook has pics from each class).  I think that's what many of them like - not having to do the messy at home.  

• Like 4

We made chemical cold and hot packs at 4-H tonight.  It's a pretty cool activity and not too messy since you do it in a baggie (as long as the baggie doesn't explode).

Sodium bicarbonate and Calcium Chloride is exothermic and makes a heat pack.

Sodium bicarbonate and Citric acid is endothermic and makes a cold pack.

Use cabbage pH indicator as your liquid and you can see the reaction change from a base (sodium bicarbonate) to an acid after the reaction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1