Menu

Ignore this thread!

You know how you can look at growth charts or use calculators and estimate how big your child will be as an adult, and the grids can help estimate size at a future age? I would like that for clothing sizes... e.g., given a boy on the X percentile curve for height and the Y for weight, he will likely fit in size 14 from age [#]Y [#]M to age [#]Y [#]M, then 16 from ____ to ____, and so on. Is there such a thing? There's a generic one here, but IDK how accurate it is, and DS is tallish for his age... should I really assume if he's going into 14s when turning 11, he'll wear 16s when turning 12, 18s when turning 13, 20s/men's S at 14, men's M at 15, L at 16? I didn't think growth was steady like that. Or do the clothing sizes not increase incrementally, but in line with a year's typical growth for that age?

Just wondering whether clothes I bought today will still probably fit next fall/winter. (I had a 50% off coupon code at Lands End and wonder if it would be worth buying some 16s as well. Though the bigger he gets, the fewer articles fit in a drawer, and the dresser is not growing.) He is now beyond the point where consignment sales were helpful.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

You know how you can look at growth charts or use calculators and estimate how big your child will be as an adult, and the grids can help estimate size at a future age? I would like that for clothing sizes... e.g., given a boy on the X percentile curve for height and the Y for weight, he will likely fit in size 14 from age [#]Y [#]M to age [#]Y [#]M, then 16 from ____ to ____, and so on. Is there such a thing? There's a generic one here, but IDK how accurate it is, and DS is tallish for his age... should I really assume if he's going into 14s when turning 11, he'll wear 16s when turning 12, 18s when turning 13, 20s/men's S at 14, men's M at 15, L at 16? I didn't think growth was steady like that. Or do the clothing sizes not increase incrementally, but in line with a year's typical growth for that age?

Just wondering whether clothes I bought today will still probably fit next fall/winter. (I had a 50% off coupon code at Lands End and wonder if it would be worth buying some 16s as well. Though the bigger he gets, the fewer articles fit in a drawer, and the dresser is not growing.) He is now beyond the point where consignment sales were helpful.

While that was true for my older son (now wearing a size men's L in tops, M in bottoms at age 16), that is not true for every kid. As an example, my 12 yo son went from a size 12 boys (fitting into some 10s--shorts--in the waist) in February (as in 9 months ago) to a size men's small now, size 16-18 in jeans/trousers.  I suspect that his growth will continue to be pretty irregular.  

Lands End codes come a dime a dozen.  The ones that come out the second week in July are usually just as good as the ones now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

If we have one more kid I could be carried around in a sedan chair like I deserve.

And if you have two more, the extra could throw rose petals in front of you as you proceed.  A second extra could fan you with a palm branch while the third extra peeled you some grapes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

120K. Most I have ever written in 30 days. One full first draft, and about a third of a second. 

My week continues to be interesting. I alternate between euphoria and absolute terror, but it's a good kind of scared. Like an exciting rollercoaster. 

Yay, Critter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

And if you have two more, the extra could throw rose petals in front of you as you proceed.  A second extra could fan you with a palm branch while the third extra peeled you some grapes.

Of course I have a bunch of extras and all they do is fight, so what do I know!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

This is going to sound like a complaint and against the board rules. It's not, I just need help figuring this out.

I have been married 12 years. For 12 years every argument we have ever had, in essence, ends in a cycle of "you're stupid/mentally ill" "please don't say that" "but you are." He has NEVER actually used those words but various phrases suggesting these things, at least to me. We had a massive breakthrough the other night with "you're perceiving my words incorrectly" "please don't say that" "why?" For 12 years this concept was met with "but you are" and the other night I explained that it appears to me that he his blaming me for his insults. He does not understand why I would assume that from that phrase. He sees no difference between "you perceived my words incorrectly" and "we had a communication breakdown."

"You are too emotional to handle this" is "my mom always hurts your feelings so I'll make the phone call," "you simply don't understand these types of things" is "this my area of strength so I should do it." And his tone, facial expressions and hand motions. He talks to me like a foolish child.

I have never understood why a man would treat me like a queen 98% of the time and then turn around and treat me like absolute crap. It's always the exact same cycle, "I am upset about this" "the only reason you're upset is because you're wrong/stupid/crazy, so you have no right to be upset."

Does this suggest anything to you? 

ADD symptoms, if relevant:

• Walks out of the room while I'm talking.
  • Can sit in front of me nodding without paying attention to a word I'm saying.
  • Will tell an obvious lie ("I am not looking at my phone" while sitting directly in front of me looking at his phone. :blink:)
  • Directly contradicts requests ("Take this with you" "ok" sets it down and begins walking away "I asked you to take this with you" "no you didn't.")

These all happen every day without fail. We have come up with several compensation methods like me taking his phone away and asking him to repeat things. If he repeats a request he will do it if he doesn't get distracted, but if he says ok he usually won't do it. He doesn't mind this because he knows how he is. He will often ask me to manage him so he can get things done (art/workout/spend time with the kids).

• Like 1

We are back from the Big Breakfast.  Tasty as always.  We saw "E", our former neighbor whose family moved this past summer and we miss so much.  I might have embarrassed him with an enormous bear hug. :biggrin:  We also ran into ds23's high school piano teacher and one of dd20's theater families and some church people and some neighbors that we only see once a year at this breakfast. 

Two of the kids have 2 children's choir Christmas performances today.  I feel like I should be scrambling around but dh said he would drive the kids to the first performance, so I am basically free until after dinner.

Ds14's first advent cheese was a tasty white cheddar.  He shared a sliver with me.  :wub:

• Like 4

Morning (for 10 more minutes for me).  I'm on my second cup of tea hoping for enough energy to get up and clean.  Because the house is a disaster and because I want to put up the tree today.  Dh bought a new vacuum cleaner since ours died and now I don't need to borrow the one from my classroom all the time.  

I had a Mom's Night Out game night at my classroom last night.  It was really really fun.  We played Carsaconne which was perfect for being able to chat while playing.  There were 6 of us so we all played together.  Food, snacks, chatting.  It was really nice.  It was supposed to end at 11 but about 1/2 of us stood around talking until after 11, you know that really slow gradual drift to the door. 

I have a friend helping me with cleaning the classroom.  She cleans a few times a week in exchange for her kids taking classes.  It's one of the smartest things I have ever done.  I'm lousy at cleaning and hate it with a passion.  The space looking clean is important but fitting it in with everything else was really hard for me.   It's amazing how much taking that one thing off my plate has helped.   

Now I need to see what I can trade in exchange for someone cleaning my house.......   Training my kids a little better would probably help too.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!

The Little Girls have Christmas program rehearsal this morning.  I have so many memories about that from when I was little. When I was little it was always on Christmas Eve (they moved it up and now our church has a candle light service on Christmas Eve) and I remember singing “Jingle Jingle Happy Bells” and getting our Christmas bag (“tute” in Low German) which had an apple, an orange, a little bag of peanuts and a little bag of chocolate covered peanut clusters, and then going to my Grandma’s house for night and spending the night on the floor, giggling with my cousins. I loved Christmas.

And this is a Christmas Memories Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
It’s a Booya/h, Baby!!
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

and getting our Christmas bag (“tute” in Low German) which had an apple, an orange, a little bag of peanuts

And this is a Christmas Memories Booya/h!!

OK, this brought me a very distinct memory of a Christmas goodie bag and the smell of peanuts.  It must have been from when I was very little.  I think the pastor of the church back then was German, and the pianist's family was Mennonite.  :wub:

• Like 2

Juliet had a playdate with her puppy bff.  Juliet was so excited to go over there, she overpowered me.  My fingers are bleeding from where she ripped the leash out of my hands.  But I'm ok.  Nothing a bandaid won't fix.  They had so much fun.  And got so muddy.  I had to give Juliet a bath when we got home.  I can barely lift her into the tub.  Now she's all fresh smelling and very tired.  And so am I.

• Like 3

Ok, actual conversation overheard (and participated in) at the Afsa.

Lady to produce stock boy: now, what lettuce is the E. coli lettuce?.

Produce stock boy: i’m Not sure what brand that is. 

(There’s no romaine to be seen)

Me: the lettuce that was affected was romaine and they have no romaine here. This is iceberg. This should be fine.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh has one you could come up and prove to Matt you're good with.

I had it when we were married. It was hot rod red. I was d*mn hot on the thing, too. His issue is other drivers, which is admittedly what happened to it in the first place! I had taken motorcycle safety courses and walked away without a scratch. My bike did not.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, actual conversation overheard (and participated in) at the Afsa.

Lady to produce stock boy: now, what lettuce is the E. coli lettuce?.

Produce stock boy: i’m Not sure what brand that is. 

(There’s no romaine to be seen)

Me: the lettuce that was affected was romaine and they have no romaine here. This is iceberg. This should be fine.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Did she want to buy some of that special E. coli lettuce or was she planning to make a fuss if they actually had some out?

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Did she want to buy some of that special E. coli lettuce or was she planning to make a fuss if they actually had some out?

I think she wanted to avoid buying it. As if The Afsa would have it out for sale. What really made me roll my eyes was that the stock boy thought that E. coli was a brand name of lettuce.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2