Menu

Ignore this thread!

Our fish did well for years. We had the wannabe koi-goldfish, the largest which was 8 inches. We had a algae- eater (which has a name starting with P but I can’t remember the breed besides that).   I would clean it on Saturdays by siphoning out water to the garden and refilling it from a hose from the kitchen sink (plus anti chlorine drops). But one day when I was refilling it the faucet valve broke unbeknownst to us and all that cane out was extremely hot water. Dh, being a bit clueless at that moment, said “the fish are dancing!”  I felt the side of the tank, realized what was happening and dumped ice in to cool it down but the fish all died. It was very sad. Ds, who was three at the time was crying for me to “change their batteries “ because he thought that would make them alive again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

29 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Ds named his "Carl" I have no clue why

Ds named his Lily.  We're not sure why.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

We don’t do fish. The girls got fish in the spring at a birthday party, but they only lasted 2 days.  We stick with the furry-purry pets.

Our first Betta we got because oldest dd brought home a betta with plant on top as a favor from her 8th grade dance.  Who the heck gives children a living thing as a favor??

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Our first Betta we got because oldest dd brought home a betta with plant on top as a favor from her 8th grade dance.  Who the heck gives children a living thing as a favor??

:blink:  

At least it came with a home and a plant!  Wasn't it Krissi's daughter who got a fish-in-a-bag for a birthday party favor?

(opps, I'm reading backwards and just saw that Krissi already mentioned this.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

At the Japanese Obon festival in the summer they would have these booths which included one where you “fished” for goldfish with a little net. I took many fish home in plastic bags. 

This used to be super common when I was a kid, at every school fair and carnival around.   I'm glad it's not so common anymore.

• Like 1

I'm doing worms with one of my biology classes this week.  I've done an activity in the past where we do some animal behavior observation with the worms, then put them in layered jars and see how they mix up soil/sand/vegetation.  I want to set up a larger tank in my classroom rather than send them home this time.

I also want to raise tadpoles into frogs.

Dh thinks we can use the same tank for both of these - 1/2 water and 1/2 soil.  Anyone know if that would be a bad idea?  Seems possible but I feel like it's kind of weird

Just realized this was a booya.  A wormy booya.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'm doing worms with one of my biology classes this week.  I've done an activity in the past where we do some animal behavior observation with the worms, then put them in layered jars and see how they mix up soil/sand/vegetation.  I want to set up a larger tank in my classroom rather than send them home this time.

I also want to raise tadpoles into frogs.

Dh thinks we can use the same tank for both of these - 1/2 water and 1/2 soil.  Anyone know if that would be a bad idea?  Seems possible but I feel like it's kind of weird.

I recommend two tanks. 

• Like 1

I have less than a million dishes, but I washed the half that I could fit in the dishwasher. We are out of pie now. This is a very sad state of affairs that requires action on my part, but I'm not sure I want to deal with a pie and then a cake. I have to make cake tomorrow. The turtles will be....gasp. Fifteen. 

I knew I shouldn't have been feeding them all these years!😥

• Like 6

No time to catch up but I wanted to give an update:

Ds18 seems to be doing pretty well.  I haven't chatted with him today, but he was feeling much better yesterday.  He only vomited once and then felt much better.  He said his headache is minimal to non-existent.  He's still taking it easy (I hope).

I didn't post earlier because our internet went out yesterday morning and we still don't have it back.  :(

(I'm using the church's wifi... shhh.)

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Junie said:

No time to catch up but I wanted to give an update:

Ds18 seems to be doing pretty well.  I haven't chatted with him today, but he was feeling much better yesterday.  He only vomited once and then felt much better.  He said his headache is minimal to non-existent.  He's still taking it easy (I hope).

I didn't post earlier because our internet went out yesterday morning and we still don't have it back.  😞

(I'm using the church's wifi... shhh.)

So glad to see your update!  Bummer about internet going out....

• Like 2

Glad ds is doing OK, Junie.  My mom had a friend who fell and got a concussion and then did ALL the wrong things (including flying on a plane) before going to see a doctor.  She ended up having to spend 4 months lying in a quiet dark room.  4 months.  No music, no sounds, no TV, no books, no nothing.  Dark quiet room. 24/7.  Concussions now terrify me.

I helped decorate the church for Advent.  Then we all walked to a local pizza place that I'd never been to before - if I'd have known that it was a put-the-pizza-together-on-the-spot kind of place (like Subway) I would have prepared ahead of time.  But no.  I finally just begged dh to order anything for me so I could go "check on the kids" (i.e. hide at a corner table).  

Dishes are all done!  Laundry is getting there.  I should be able to get the last load in the dryer before bed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

And the year of ugly NFL uniforms continues.  Denver looks like a bunch of orange pylons running around out there.  Pittsburg's uniforms are nice, regular football uniforms.  Denver's... not so much.

Dh commented on the Denver uniforms.  Fluorescent colors seem to be in the past few years.  There was some team last year that had bright yellow.  They usually look ridiculous.

• Confused 1