Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm enjoying this long weekend.  A lot less pressure preparing for classes and stuff when I know I still have all day tomorrow too.  Which is dangerous because I'll be too relaxed and then end up rushing.

I finished preparing my new ESL tutoring student, finished printing all my new ads/flyers, set up Facebook and website for my -geared toward public schoolers- part of the business, order some window signs, ordered some supplies for classes, ordered some Christmas gifts, did some work on supply lists and schedules for my STEM coordinator job, still need to prepare for my math tutoring student, finalize preparations for all my classes next week, do a couple powerpoints for the STEM Coord. job.   I'm going easy on myself this week, I'm bringing my snake and talking about reptiles.  I've probably done hundreds, maybe even approaching a thousand, snake presentations in my life.  I could do it in my sleep.

I'm eating cold leftover turkey for lunch.  With my fingers.  I think I'll probably need a napkin.

• Like 3

Edpo!

The San Antonio aquarium is much larger and has a lot more than this one, and a season pass is $70 for all of us. I think we'll put our marine life book off for a while and get a pass in the spring. We have Botany and Physical Science on hand so we'll probably do Botany. These are all Apologia if anyone cares. We've done Astronomy and Flying Creatures.

• Like 3

I finished my lessons for my first two classes of the week.  I was looking up genetics activities with M&M's and found this quote.  For some reason it tickled my funny bone.

"Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theatre of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, along with a 3x5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes." This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Cool pictures.  My kids love aquariums.  There was a point where we had been to aquariums in 5 states but still not to the one in our state (Mystic, Myrtle Beach, Baltimore, Orlando, and somewhere in Virginia).  

My youngest LOVES touch tanks.  Especially ones with stingrays.  She was having a really bad day a couple weeks ago, her anxiety stopped her from doing something she wanted to do.  We went to the zoo and touching the stingrays totally cheered her up.  There was one really spunky one that kept going around splashing people. 

Slide7.JPG

• Like 11

Foster kids are free at the San Antonio aquarium. :wub:

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

Cool pictures.  My kids love aquariums.  There was a point where we had been to aquariums in 5 states but still not to the one in our state (Mystic, Myrtle Beach, Baltimore, Orlando, and somewhere in Virginia).  

My youngest LOVES touch tanks.  Especially ones with stingrays.  She was having a really bad day a couple weeks ago, her anxiety stopped her from doing something she wanted to do.  We went to the zoo and touching the stingrays totally cheered her up.  There was one really spunky one that kept going around splashing people. 

Alex (2) is obsessed with fish. I think we might get him one. Maybe a 10 gallon tank of guppies or something. I have not sincerely looked at this yet but fish bring him great joy so I need to look into it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Alex (2) is obsessed with fish. I think we might get him one. Maybe a 10 gallon tank of guppies or something. I have not sincerely looked at this yet but fish bring him great joy so I need to look into it.

Here is a factoid about guppies: they are live-bearers (that is, their fry--babies--are born live, instead of the parents laying eggs and the eggs hatching); once a female guppy has been gravid (pregnant) she doesn't need a male again for a loooong time, and she'll keep having babies for eons. Which is to say that you just leave the babies in the tank instead of taking them out to save them from being eaten by the other bigger fish, poor things, because if you do, you'll have elebenty bowls full of guppies all over your house. 🙂

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Here is a factoid about guppies: they are live-bearers (that is, their fry--babies--are born live, instead of the parents laying eggs and the eggs hatching); once a female guppy has been gravid (pregnant) she doesn't need a male again for a loooong time, and she'll keep having babies for eons. Which is to say that you just leave the babies in the tank instead of taking them out to save them from being eaten by the other bigger fish, poor things, because if you do, you'll have elebenty bowls full of guppies all over your house. 🙂

I looked around and I'm thinking no fish. Maybe. There are sincere hobbiests that will walk a beginner through a first tank and good picks. Guppies did not make the lists. Lots of pretty options though.

I wanted a self cleaning tank but apparently those are bad and I'm kinda turned off by the idea now.

• Like 3

Bettas are pretty easy to keep.   We've had a few fish tanks over the years but they kept dying when we'd lose power.  Most recently ds got a betta and tank set-up for his birthday last year, then we had a big storm in March and that was the end of that.  We have a tank again but it's at my classroom where hopefully they don't lose power very often.  We gave up on fish at home and went with a snake.  A species that's native to the area so she can survive power outages.

It's after midnight here.  I should be in bed.

• Like 5

Good morning!  We've only had four fish, three goldfish and one beta, I think the beta was on his last leg when we brought him home because he died soon after, I'm sure Ds feeding him every 15 seconds had nothing to do with his demise.  My day is going to be relatively easy, I hope, nothing to do but church, drop people off and pick them up and relax, hoping to get in a ride but, the weather is looking a little grey.

Angi and Jean--I just want the two of you to know that y'all are killing me, I'm walking more trying to keep up with y'all's steps, lol

PS, forgot I need to plan and prep for next week!

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

My mom had a beta that lived 9 years.

Another factoid or two: Bettas are air-breathers: they come up to the surface periodically and take big gulps of air, instead of getting their oxygen from the water like other fish. Also, it is pronounced "bet-ta," not "bay-ta." They are carnivores; my mother used to put a little bit of raw hamburger on her finger and hold it just at the surface of the water so that the betta would come up and nibble it off. 🙂

We often kept a betta in the tank with our other fish; they only mess with other bettas, and they add color and interest to an aquarium.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey. I dreamed that I was being tortured with razor blades. I woke up at 4-something and realized that it corresponded with all the places that are in pain. I got back to sleep after a new pain med. I have to teach in both services today.

I actually feel less pain when I am up and not pressing on a bed so that part will be ok.   But can someone invent an air-filled chamber that I can just float in?  It’s not a I-need-a-new-mattress thing. I have slept on sleep number beds and regular beds and latex and memory foam and water beds and...  Your body still has to touch. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

I slept for 10 hours last night. Everyone else is still sleeping. DH succombed to the virus. I think he angered the virus gods by bragging that he wasn’t going to get it. “What? You think you Super-Immune-System-Man? Ha!! We show you!!!”  The rest of the kids and I are in varying stages of recovery. I think I will go to church this morning, although it’s too late for first service. That starts in 3 minutes and I am still in my robe.😂

It’s a beautiful morning out. A bit foggy, my gorgeous tree in the back yard has lost half its leaves, but it is still very pretty. Everything is clean because of the rain we had a couple days ago.

I’m sorry you are in pain, Jeannie!! Of course you can bring it up here. If you can’t talk to your homies about it, who can you talk to??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! I'm exhausted.

6 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

My mom had a beta that lived 9 years.

Gug.

28 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We don’t do fish. The girls got fish in the spring at a birthday party, but they only lasted 2 days.  We stick with the furry-purry pets.

Yeah. I like cats and dogs. I don't like rodents because of the work involved and I don't like fish because they're basically living decorations that you can't skip out on taking care of. I wanted a self cleaning tank but apparently those are butt for the fish. He absolutely loves them though. Like more than anything else in the world.

• Like 3