• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Slache -  I'm lurking around on your profile page for title ideas.  So….Tell me about the time you were almost eaten by an alligator.  

I was in New Orleans volunteering for the city after Katrina hit. The flood waters had drained but there was still nasty water *everywhere* including in a pool which contained a shark. Not like an oh crap look out it's a shark shark, just a wow is that really a shark in there shark.

I was walking down the street with a friend marking houses on a clip board as "Condemned", "Attention" (needs inspection), or "Gone". On the street there were drainage thingies on the sides filled with water and fish. It was not unusual for the water to move because of the fish. Jamie and I were about ten feet away from a ditch when an alligator that was at least 12 feet long just waltzed out of the d*mn thing like this was the friggen everglades and just looked at us. He had this look on his face like "Sup Bro". So we looked back at him like "Sup Bro". And he walked away. Just like that. As if it was nothing. It was sooooooooooo not nothing.

There was another time when I was playing basketball at a camp and being the graceful creature that I am I fell and rolled down a hill. When I got to the bottom there was an alligator just a few feet away but he was only about 5 feet long and I wasn't afraid at all. I just walked up the hill. After that massive dude I fear nothing. Except for childbirth. And a prolapsed uterus.

• Like 8

Good morning everybodeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Time to rise and shine.  I'm off to the dentist and the library! What is everyone else up to today???

We have had an impromptu spring break this week.  Evidently we needed it. 

I have been lazily researching curricula for next year.  Which I should not need to do.  I've spent the morning looking at things I've long ago ruled out just so I can feel good about ruling them out again.  Not terribly productive, but very satisfying.  Match making the "nearly perfect" with the "will actually get done" is tricky business!

• Like 6

Hello Hivelings.   :)

Today will be a good day.  Yes, it will be.  I kicked yesterday to the curb.  (Insert huge fake karate move here.)

I will, with the assistance of my ds14, clean his room, move the extra large dog crate in there (because pregnant cat), and straighten up the homeschool cubby area (also with the help of kids).

Then, depending on communication from my friend regarding arrival of Pregnant Cat, I will clear out the half bath cat/dog foster area.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

I once had a cat, Firecracker, that would not have her kittens unless I was present. One time after sitting with her for two hours I had to use the restroom, she followed with a kitten partially birthed. I miss her, she was a good kitty. When my oldest was a baby she would have a fit when he cried... she wanted him taken care of NOW. Also she liked to have my hand on her head when she pushed, just slight pressure. I would not push on her head, but would let her push against my hand. I have seen lots of kittens born. So if you have any questions, let me know. ;)

Slache, love the avatar, beautiful.

I have mixed feelings about auto-correct: love it and hate it. Slache = apache and texasmama = Texarkana.:) I try to catch it, sorry if I miss it.

• Like 3

My dh said, "You (speaking of me) have a good morning song for us every morning now?!" The lazy bums. I told him all about Ellie, my new good morning bestie. I've been playing these videos every morning for the past few days.

• Like 4

Hello Hivelings.   :)

Today will be a good day.  Yes, it will be.  I kicked yesterday to the curb.  (Insert huge fake karate move here.)

I have a load of laundry on and one to go.   I will rock this day's face off.

I have a few. (need to make up for the lack of the past few days.)

36_8_6.gifkarate%20boy.gifkarate1.gifSpongeBob-Karate.gifavatar33212_1.gif16925859-illustration-of-cartoon-chick-k

• Like 3

Good morning everybodeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Time to rise and shine.  I'm off to the dentist and the library! What is everyone else up to today???

Not much. I think yoga, school, cleaning out a closet, and some laundry. Easy day here.

I am so not creative.  But I meant to post last night that your kids are darling!  Love the new avatar!

Thanks. We'll hope it sticks. It's from our Christmas card.

I once had a cat, Firecracker, that would not have her kittens unless I was present. One time after sitting with her for two hours I had to use the restroom, she followed with a kitten partially birthed. I miss her, she was a good kitty. When my oldest was a baby she would have a fit when he cried... she wanted him taken care of NOW. Also she liked to have my hand on her head when she pushed, just slight pressure. I would not push on her head, but would let her push against my hand. I have seen lots of kittens born. So if you have any questions, let me know. ;)

Slache, love the avatar, beautiful. Thanks.

I have mixed feelings about auto-correct: love it and hate it. Slache = apache and texasmama = Texarkana. :) I try to catch it, sorry if I miss it.

I've been Apache quite a few times on this board. I'd make it my username if I weren't Cherokee. ;) I use nicknames for people on my phone. Tex, Duck, Slash. I will answer to Apache though. I know what it means.

• Like 3

We have had an impromptu spring break this week. Evidently we needed it.

I have been lazily researching curricula for next year. Which I should not need to do. I've spent the morning looking at things I've long ago ruled out just so I can feel good about ruling them out again. Not terribly productive, but very satisfying. Match making the "nearly perfect" with the "will actually get done" is tricky business!

You must be my sister from another mother, lol.

And when the neighbor kids came over to play because they are on spring break, I totally caved:-)

• Like 2

Well, after hitting the farm for some raw milk, I came home, putting hearing aids in MIL's ears, put her shoes on, put away groceries, got all of my buffet dishes out on the table for Easter to see how they will fit, gave husband his list of alcohol to buy for Easter, and now I am getting my fix of y'all before I actually eat something :grin:

After I eat, I will finish cleaning the house and head to the store and flower shop for the tulip centerpiece. Throw in some yowling at the children and settling various food-related family disputes and I will likely be ready to call it a day before 4pm:-)

And did I mention that I just found out I was hosting Easter (because Thanksgiving and Christmas apparently weren't enough) about 5 days ago... Almost 20 people... Does anyone feel sorry for me yet? (Don't feel too sorry for me, though, I do plan on ingesting a sufficient amount of port just prior to the arrival of guests to make me not care about family disputes or how hot the food is :lol:

• Like 7

Can I get a round of applause, please?  Ds 14's room is clean.  <thud>  It was quite a task.  He started out helping and got overwhelmed and quit, leaving me and his brother to finish.  (He is not NT.)  I also hung the blackout curtains in his room.  I took out a black garbage bag and a kitchen trash bag full of trash out of there.  I now know where all of my pencils went.  I am sitting on my laurels resting before moving the dog crate in there.

Wow!  You cleaned 14yo's room in one day?  You are one tough mama!  You definitely deserve to sit.  For awhile!

How unruly is your pyr? Because I can start posting LLW videos and harness recommendations.

I have walked and fed my crew of 3

Took Darwin out to play/train.

Washed and bandaged up Darwin's paw (allergy hot spot between toes)

Took Daisy out to play/train. Gave in to Darwin's sad eyes and let him come play in the sand and mud again.

Washed his paw and redid his bandage again.

Did not give into Bear's sad eyes. The back stairs are to steep and he can't get back up them. (We have a ramp on the front stairs for him...)

Shared my banana with Bear.

Had long argument with someone about bsl on a fb board. Person was losing so he deleted the whole thread. Lol.

Well, after hitting the farm for some raw milk, I came home, putting hearing aids in MIL's ears, put her shoes on, put away groceries, got all of my buffet dishes out on the table for Easter to see how they will fit, gave husband his list of alcohol to buy for Easter, and now I am getting my fix of y'all before I actually eat something :grin:

After I eat, I will finish cleaning the house and head to the store and flower shop for the tulip centerpiece. Throw in some yowling at the children and settling various food-related family disputes and I will likely be ready to call it a day before 4pm:-)

And did I mention that I just found out I was hosting Easter (because Thanksgiving and Christmas apparently weren't enough) about 5 days ago... Almost 20 people... Does anyone feel sorry for me yet? (Don't feel too sorry for me, though, I do plan on ingesting a sufficient amount of port just prior to the arrival of guests to make me not care about family disputes or how hot the food is :lol:

I do feel sorry for you!  20 people!  I hope they appreciate you;  you sound like a wonderful hostess and a great cook.  I would be ordering my meal from Krogers and making plans to run away. 

• Like 1

Haha. My husband's family is big.

As to cooking, I wish. I know just enough that I can fake it pretty well:-). Actually, it isn't even that. I suppose I can cook, I just reallllllly don't like it, lol. I will be one of those old ladies who lives above a restaurant in some urban area and has dinner there every night:-)

FWIW, i started with lofty ideas of homemade appetizers like Carmelized Onion Tarts and Caprese Sticks and a homemade pound cake drizzled with lemon sauce. Since we are two days out, the menu has deteriorated to deviled eggs, veggie platter (although I am still making homemade buttermilk ranch), and a Pamela's vanilla cake mix with pre-made frosting tinged with lemon juice and basil. Obviously, there will be more, but that gives you a good idea of what my mind can conjure up and how well that conjuring actually turns into realty. :rollingeyes:

• Like 2

Can I get a round of applause, please?  Ds 14's room is clean.  <thud>  It was quite a task.  He started out helping and got overwhelmed and quit, leaving me and his brother to finish.  (He is not NT.)  I also hung the blackout curtains in his room.  I took out a black garbage bag and a kitchen trash bag full of trash out of there.  I now know where all of my pencils went.  I am sitting on my laurels resting before moving the dog crate in there.

applause.gif I'm so proud.

Professormom, you are a good sport to cook with little notice.  :)

Don't be too impressed with my clean teen room.  I did a bad job.  :D  I didn't tackle the bookshelves or the closet or inside the drawers, just made the floors and the top of the dresser presentable.

And I had another migraine this afternoon.  Stupid weather...

We also are on unofficial-just-sorta-happened spring break.  But I had to spend my day chained to the computer editing. With a sore neck. And a numb left hand. Bleh. 

Someone needs to liven up, get back to this thread, and amuse me. (Please note the use of the way cool, totally awesome serial/Oxford comma.)

• Like 1

Well we've had so much rain that our field lines couldn't drain (at least that's what we think at this point), so we spent several hours bailing out a basement toilet that was backing up.   

When I checked the news for a weather update, I saw that an acquaintance was killed while camping with her husband and kids when a large tree branch fell on their tent.  So sad!  

I'm putting a last load in the dryer and heading to bed.   

Well we've had so much rain that our field lines couldn't drain (at least that's what we think at this point), so we spent several hours bailing out a basement toilet that was backing up.   

When I checked the news for a weather update, I saw that an acquaintance was killed while camping with her husband and kids when a large tree branch fell on their tent.  So sad!  

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm so sorry. :crying: :crying: :crying:

• Like 1

Oh, that is heartbreaking.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

I was in New Orleans volunteering for the city after Katrina hit. The flood waters had drained but there was still nasty water *everywhere* including in a pool which contained a shark. Not like an oh crap look out it's a shark shark, just a wow is that really a shark in there shark.

I was walking down the street with a friend marking houses on a clip board as "Condemned", "Attention" (needs inspection), or "Gone". On the street there were drainage thingies on the sides filled with water and fish. It was not unusual for the water to move because of the fish. Jamie and I were about ten feet away from a ditch when an alligator that was at least 12 feet long just waltzed out of the d*mn thing like this was the friggen everglades and just looked at us. He had this look on his face like "Sup Bro". So we looked back at him like "Sup Bro". And he walked away. Just like that. As if it was nothing. It was sooooooooooo not nothing.

There was another time when I was playing basketball at a camp and being the graceful creature that I am I fell and rolled down a hill. When I got to the bottom there was an alligator just a few feet away but he was only about 5 feet long and I wasn't afraid at all. I just walked up the hill. After that massive dude I fear nothing. Except for childbirth. And a prolapsed uterus.

Slash-

This is truly A.MAZ.ING.

You are clearly every bit as ubercool as your name suggests.

And hilarious, too.  

Thanks for providing such fabulous late-night waiting-for-the-dryer-to-stop-its-drying kind of reading.  (I would not be waiting for the dryer at midnight EDT, by the way, except that tomorrow we rise at 5:15am to fly back north.  Into the land of eternal snow. My dd4 was in tears tonight over that.)

Sigh.   

On the plus side, we had a fabulous trip (mostly, with just a few bumps and bruises along the way): ds7 learned to whistle and to swim (he has sensory issues including significant water fears); dd2, dd4, and dd6 greatly improved their swimming skills; ds 10mos can now say "woof;" no one was severely burned; and I didn't cook a single meal (unless omelets count, and I don't think they really do).  

Not bad, all in all.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 6

When I checked the news for a weather update, I saw that an acquaintance was killed while camping with her husband and kids when a large tree branch fell on their tent. So sad!

I'm sorry. We had two such storms last summer. They were devastating.

• Like 1

And just to start tomorrow off right (since it's already tomorrow over here), I'll leave the top of page 30 for whoever whomever whatever lucky soul pops on here next.

Have a good night, all! Tomorrow is a bright new day. :seeya:

Can I? I've not been first and I'm bored!