Menu

Ignore this thread!

Grammar is important. It really is. Grammar and opposable thumbs are what set us apart from the animals. Except monkeys. They have opposable thumbs. But they don't have grammar.

What about politics and religion - two things that bring people together or divide them? I can't imagine my dogs or cats caring about either. ;)

• Like 3

Oh no. Should we be worried for you, or is this in your range of "normal" these days?  ((hugs)) Either way, it's probably not comfortable.

Not comfortable but unfortunately within range of normal lately.  The doctor won't be pleased though since he thought he had "cured" it with his latest medication!  (Though I have my doubts if he's really focused on the right cause.)  

• Like 3

What about politics and religion - two things that bring people together or divide them? I can't imagine my dogs or cats caring about either. ;)

I think monkeys have politics.  They have territorial laws, no?  I'm thinking they must have outspoken, obnoxious monkeys who think they are God's gift to monkey kind, just like our politicians.

As far as religion:

"Jane Goodall’s fieldwork in chimpanzee communities allowed her to witness things like a young male chimp doing a rhythmic dance in front of a waterfall. It appeared, to Goodall, reverent and seemingly purposeless. She’s speculated that this might be evidence of something like ritualistic religion in the lives of other primates." Source Link

From what I hear, Jane knows her stuff.

• Like 1

I think monkeys have politics. They have territorial laws, no? I'm thinking they must have outspoken, obnoxious monkeys who think they are God's gift to monkey kind, just like our politicians.

As far as religion:

"Jane Goodall’s fieldwork in chimpanzee communities allowed her to witness things like a young male chimp doing a rhythmic dance in front of a waterfall. It appeared, to Goodall, reverent and seemingly purposeless. She’s speculated that this might be evidence of something like ritualistic religion in the lives of other primates." Source Link

So, politics and religion yes.... grammar, no!
  • Like 2

Here's a handy tip:  Don't take clothes to a consignment shop to sell on a Saturday afternoon.  Just. don't. do. it.  By the time you get there, they will have taken in so much stuff that they will not have much inventory need,  Additionally, they will be so far behind going through other "buys" that you will have to come back 3 hours later to find out what they want of your stuff (probably not much) and how much they will pay you (also not much.)  Save yourself the time and trouble, take it to goodwill instead.

• Like 6

Here's a handy tip:  Don't take clothes to a consignment shop to sell on a Saturday afternoon.  Just. don't. do. it.  By the time you get there, they will have taken in so much stuff that they will not have much inventory need,  Additionally, they will be so far behind going through other "buys" that you will have to come back 3 hours later to find out what they want of your stuff (probably not much) and how much they will pay you (also not much.)  Save yourself the time and trouble, take it to goodwill instead.

DH has a co-worker who has a bunch of kids and a wife who was restricted to bed rest for her last pregnancy, so was on disability from work, and they had just his income when they were expecting both.   DH mentioned that DS was growing out of size X - did he need that size for any of his kids? Co-worker immediately offered to take them off our hands.  We have been passing down clothes to this co-worker ever since.  We also got rid of a car seat (no car accidents, within the manufacturer's time frame for use, and thoroughly scrubbed down by moi), old winter jackets/snowsuits, boots, outgrown toys, and all of our board books (save our favorites) by shipping them off to said co-worker.  'Cause they weren't bringing us joy.

• Like 6

I really need to put together a 10th grade plan. I find it hard to believe that this is actually happening. Last year, I bought all the materials and had a plan, then she ended up in school after a couple of months. I keep thinking it's going to happen again. I haven't even purchased her chemistry or logic books yet. Those don't start until September though (online). She wants to start Monday with history, though.

• Like 2

I think monkeys have politics.  They have territorial laws, no?  I'm thinking they must have outspoken, obnoxious monkeys who think they are God's gift to monkey kind, just like our politicians.

As far as religion:

As far as territorial laws for animals (peeing and scratching trees), I think our human polititians should be limited to these ways of communication! ;)

Religion would be far simpler if it was limited to dancing, too. Maybe animals are far beyond humans, and we are behind the times focusing on our thumbs and grammar.  :laugh:

• Like 2

As far as territorial laws for animals (peeing and scratching trees), I think our human polititians should be limited to these ways of communication! ;)

Religion would be far simpler if it was limited to dancing, too. Maybe animals are far beyond humans, and we are behind the times focusing on our thumbs and grammar.  :laugh:

Hey, I think we talked about dancing and religion earlier in this thread.  :laugh:

• Like 3

So, I'm sitting in my room hiding out till DS finishes cleaning off the table. He is so incredibly obnoxious that I cannot be in the same room with him when he is cleaning off the table. He's 12, btw, and is just one big seething mass of testosterone. And my 4 year old dd comes running through, runs into the bathroom and a few seconds later I hear her shout,"woohoo! I made it!" And I gave a sigh of relief. I really didn't want to clean pee up off the floor tonight!

• Like 8

I am stuck on duckie's mom showering on the right side only.  Doesn't her left side stink after awhile?  Need more info.

I attended a friend's son's wedding last night, and it was "old home week", as my mother used to say.  Saw many, many people I've known for 15 years.  Nice group of people but we don't see each other frequently any more.  We used to attend the same church.  Some still do but others (including us) have scattered.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

Half my family has just left for Walmart, and it is so quiet in here!

I need to check out ds's laundry bin and see if it is beyond repair. Other than that I need to fill the bird feeders and put away some laundry.

Ikslo, I have one more purchase to make and I am avoiding it like the plague. I may need some chocolate.

• Like 3

Well, dh and I did C25K this morning (ran 22 min.!!) and then all of us listened to church on the internet (#slackers).

Later, I made a spreadsheet of our extracurricular activities - known and 2 more potential ones.  And then I fainted.  J/K.  Seriously,  I cannot do all that.  So, dh and I talked and realized a few issues (some kids had one activity and some potentially had 3, for example).  And then we made the hard decisions.  We are not going to re-start formal piano lessons unless I can find someone who will give the lessons in our home.  Piano was always my first commitment growing up, so this is really big for me to decide that this is what is best at this time.  But I cannot tell you how relieved I am and how much better the week looks all scheduled out. 

Then, we went to the pool, but it thundered.  So, we sat around for an hour and wasted money on food and came home. 

And, now I'm doing laundry.

And I should be doing dishes.  But, clearly I have my priorities straight because I'm here on the thread instead. 

• Like 6

Well, my spending "splurge" turned out to be the best thing I bought.  It was supposed to be the three issues of Kids Discover magazine which are referenced in Guest Hollow's Jr. Anatomy curriculum.  But then I got on the site and saw they had a 10 pack for the Human Body.  While checking out, I saw a coupon code box, so I did a web search, and found a 30% off code for first time buyers (TRYKD30).  That made it 10 magazines for 3 bucks each.  Score!  And then when I received my confirmation, the email said it came with free downloads of vocab and teacher's resources.  Even better.

Okay, I also splurged on a few other things, but they were all educational, so it's okay.  No really.  Mad Libs, Bananagrams, Professor Noggin's card games.  All perfectly legit educational resources.  And RR has free shipping.  

Testing out my justifications here so they sound better when I tell DH how much I spent.

• Like 5

Well, dh and I did C25K this morning (ran 22 min.!!) and then all of us listened to church on the internet (#slackers).

Later, I made a spreadsheet of our extracurricular activities - known and 2 more potential ones.  And then I fainted.  J/K.  Seriously,  I cannot do all that.  So, dh and I talked and realized a few issues (some kids had one activity and some potentially had 3, for example).  And then we made the hard decisions.  We are not going to re-start formal piano lessons unless I can find someone who will give the lessons in our home.  Piano was always my first commitment growing up, so this is really big for me to decide that this is what is best at this time.  But I cannot tell you how relieved I am and how much better the week looks all scheduled out. 

Then, we went to the pool, but it thundered.  So, we sat around for an hour and wasted money on food and came home. 

And, now I'm doing laundry.

And I should be doing dishes.  But, clearly I have my priorities straight because I'm here on the thread instead. 

Points for quoting myself.

I just realized I could have said all this much more succinctly if I had just told you I "kon mari-ed" our extracurriculars. 

Oh!  And BOOYAH/BOOYA  !

• Like 7

I have discovered that I am terrible at small talk, even with people I've known for many years. I am a great conversationalist as long as other people are talking or we are being goofy/silly. But when people ask me what I've been up to, I go blank and have absolutely no idea of what is going on with anyone in my life.

I'm like this, too. I hate small talk. Usually in a group I'm the one smiling, nodding, making "I'm listening" noises, but generally not contributing in any way to the conversation.

• Like 4

I'm like this, too. I hate small talk. Usually in a group I'm the one smiling, nodding, making "I'm listening" noises, but generally not contributing in any way to the conversation.

Sometimes I just give up and don't even pretend I'm listening anymore. 

• Like 4