Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am officially homeschooling a high schooler again. May it last this time.

May the force be with you.

Alternatively, pray "Oh God, Jesus help us!", which I credit with saving our lives yesterday so it is the best prayer I know.

In a pinch, stand up and shout, "Oh Lord Jesus, it's a fire!" and run out of the house without no shoes or nothin'.  It may not help, but everyone will be distracted by the commotion and forget what they were whining about.

#goofeduponmigrainemeds

• Like 10

I'm going to brain dump here before going on with my day:

The doctor (who is normally a very good doctor) was underwhelming this morning as he kept asking me if I knew what certain things in my radiology report meant.  Since my appt. was for him to explain it to me, that was rather disconcerting.  

We got part of the camp music organization done.  There is more to be done.  Maybe tonight?

I got my baby fix with a little one to two month old baby.  

I tried calling the teen that we were supposed to meet with yesterday.  She didn't answer her phone so I left a message.  We heard nothing all afternoon so I then called her mom to just touch base.  I'm glad that I did because she said that she would handle the emotions (she brought this up so it wasn't just me thinking it might be a problem).

I barely got home from driving before my body sort of quit on me.  it is still in a lot of pain but I am going to figure out dinner somehow.  

• Like 3

May the force be with you.

Alternatively, pray "Oh God, Jesus help us!", which I credit with saving our lives yesterday so it is the best prayer I know.

In a pinch, stand up and shout, "Oh Lord Jesus, it's a fire!" and run out of the house without no shoes or nothin'.  It may not help, but everyone will be distracted by the commotion and forget what they were whining about.

#goofeduponmigrainemeds

Gratzi, Tex.

I needed that laugh.  And the pedicure I just treated myself to.  (You know it's been a loooooong day if I got a pedi.  Last one was...2013?)

#sorryboutyourmigraine

#youdeserveapedicuretoo

#thesehashtagsareprobablynothelpingyourmigraine

#hugs

• Like 3

I'm going to brain dump here before going on with my day:

The doctor (who is normally a very good doctor) was underwhelming this morning as he kept asking me if I knew what certain things in my radiology report meant.  Since my appt. was for him to explain it to me, that was rather disconcerting.  

We got part of the camp music organization done.  There is more to be done.  Maybe tonight?

I got my baby fix with a little one to two month old baby.  

I tried calling the teen that we were supposed to meet with yesterday.  She didn't answer her phone so I left a message.  We heard nothing all afternoon so I then called her mom to just touch base.  I'm glad that I did because she said that she would handle the emotions (she brought this up so it wasn't just me thinking it might be a problem).

I barely got home from driving before my body sort of quit on me.  it is still in a lot of pain but I am going to figure out dinner somehow.  

Wish I could cook it for you.   :grouphug:   Order in?  (We never do this, but I'm told it can be done.)

• Like 1

It's knitting group night at Starbucks.  A lovely group of half-a-dozen middle-aged women + one man who enjoy weekly fellowship here, complete with yarn, coffee, and a platter of homemade cookies that someone always brings in.

But I am not in the knitting group.  

And this means that I was left with the only remaining cushy chair, which is awkwardly placed right next to a detached-looking early twenty-something young man.  I mean, right next to him.  Because all of the rest of the furniture has been moved to accommodate the aforementioned knitting group.  I moved myself away from Mr. Detached Millenial as best as I could in my freshly painted toes, but still.  We look like an item.  And he has already claimed the postage-stamp-sized table-ette, so I'm balancing dinner precariously on my lap alongside my computer.   

Weirdness.  I have some WTM conferences saved up I'd like to listen to, but maybe I will leave?  Except the kids are still undoubtedly awake, and the other Starbucks closes too early.  

Thoughts?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

• Like 4

I have this weird mental image of Jemima Puddleduck putting her webbed feat in some pierced/tattooed guy's lap.  

Jemima-with-freshly-painted-toenails thankyouverymuch.    And hot detached millenial tattoo guy has a name.   DAVID.*  He was clearly checking me out.** 

*His cup said so.  

**Actually, I think he was hoping I'd leave first.  Doesn't he know I'm a Mama of Five?  I ALWAYS WIN.  

• Like 8

So the Lord was gracious to dh and I in a small way tonight. Our final dance lesson was tonight, though our teacher "Mr. Cutie Patootie" is taking time off for personal reasons. So we had a new teacher, Stefani, who is a wonderful young lady and very fine teacher. But because they switched teachers on us at the last minute, they are adding one more lesson to our package. Which means our "last lesson + high pressure sales pitch" is next week.

And we will be forced to cancel the lesson. Truly we will, because I scheduled it during dd's audition for Annie and at the time that ds is planning to move into his dorm and would like our help. As time and finances don't allow, we will not be returning (unless we somehow become independently wealthy). And I don't have to look at Stefani's sweet face and say no.

(I am such a wimp.)

• Like 7

Man, I hate computer problems. Hope they are sorted out soon. I intended to get Vertitas Press self-paced for my youngest to soothe my conscience when I don't have time to read aloud to her, but I do wonder if our limited usage can handle it ( #hughesnet #middleofnowhere #patheticinternetservice ). Hope your ds20 can work a miracle for you.

Yes indeed he did. All kinds of diagnostic stuff, was taking the temperature of various parts, and in the meantime backed up the hard drive with some terrabite thing, whatever that is.

Computer is happy. Ds is happy (he loves that stuff). And our pocketbook is happy. :)

• Like 3

I'm pretty upset.  Dd's friend, who applied to be a counselor, abruptly told her that she isn't coming.  And she won't tell us why, other than "because".  I don't know if she's even notified the directors so I'll have to call them tomorrow.  And then I guess we'll have to try and figure out what to do to replace a counselor 4 days before camp starts.  This has happened almost every year though so I guess we're used to it.  But it sure makes things nerve racking.  

(((Jean)))  Is it worth a reach out to the parents?

I had two migraines yesterday, starting right after I left the chiropractor.   They were bad.  My left arm and hand went numb with the second one.  I have a killer hangover headache this morning.  I blame the vacation and the cold front that rolled in.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

Good Morning Tex.  I liked your post but not your migraines!  I don't know if you just didn't tell us about them, or if I'm remembering wrong, but I don't remember you having them so much before Nan passed.  I don't know if that's an accurate observation or not.  Does it make them weather related?  Was your body just saving them all up and waiting to crash when it knew you had time (yeah, right!  Ain't nobody got time for that!)  Anyway, I'm sorry you're still suffering.  Hope all you need to do today goes well.

(Grocery?  Meal planning.... that reminds me I gotta throw stroganoff in the crock pot.)  :gnorsi:

• Like 3

Good Morning Tex.  I liked your post but not your migraines!  I don't know if you just didn't tell us about them, or if I'm remembering wrong, but I don't remember you having them so much before Nan passed.  I don't know if that's an accurate observation or not.  Does it make them weather related?  Was your body just saving them all up and waiting to crash when it knew you had time (yeah, right!  Ain't nobody got time for that!)  Anyway, I'm sorry you're still suffering.  Hope all you need to do today goes well.

(Grocery?  Meal planning.... that reminds me I gotta throw stroganoff in the crock pot.)  :gnorsi:

I've had migraines since I was 21, though they vary depending on the triggers.  I've tried about everything to kick them to the curb, but the ones I cannot seem to eliminate are the barometric pressure-induced ones.  I take Natural Calm magnesium and B2 daily to help prevent them.  We had a cold front roll through, and I blame the migraines yesterday on that.

I threw a whole (mostly still frozen) chicken in the crock pot with some salt and hope for the best.  That's my idea of meal planning.

Please add to the list that I need to dye my roots.  Sigh.

• Like 2

Too sleepy and lazy to quote.

Tex - sorry about the migraines.  The therapy breakthrough sounds good.  :)

Quackers - I'm sure your pretty manicured webbed feet could use some fuzzy slippers.

Susan - I'm all for avoiding high powered sales tactics.  Would they really do that for dance lessons?  Won't they just say "Hey, if anyone wants to sign up, the next session starts next week?"

Lynn - I like stroganoff but having a dh who is allergic to dairy makes it hard.  Not impossible - I did manage to make a fake one once with stuff like tofu in it but I'd rather have the real thing.  

Stress.  I slept poorly again last night.  I've never met the young lady's parents.  Even when I went to pick her up at her house, she asked to be texted and then just came out to the car.  She was talking up camp as recently as Monday.  Heard nothing on Tuesday.  Then Wednesday she abruptly said she couldn't go.  I wish she'd tell us why, not so that we could try to turn her reasoning around, but just so we could understand what is going on.  This whole thing at camp is really a ministry and not just a camp job.  In fact none of get paid at all for busting our butts.  To quote Bob the tomato, "It's for the kids".  

• Like 5

Duckie - your Starbucks adventure amused me, too! I hate going to Starbucks. I usually do take-out. If I stay, it's always it on the patio. That's one place that continually reinforces how old and completely out of touch with popular culture I really am. I would like to learn to knit, though. My girlfriend learned to knit. It keeps her occupied at all of the baseball games/football games/swim meets and band and/or choir concerts she has to go to for her kids.

• Like 2

Susan - I'm all for avoiding high powered sales tactics. Would they really do that for dance lessons? Won't they just say "Hey, if anyone wants to sign up, the next session starts next week?"

It is very clever how it goes - we had "sales pitch part 1" last night which essentially had our teacher sit down with us and ask lots of questions like what are our favorite dances so far, which ones are we most interested in learning in depth, what do we like most about the experience, what are our main goals for dancing, etc, etc.

They go about it like good salesmen - they "assume the sale". She did let it slip (on purpose or not) that our next set of lessons would run about $2000. (Yikes!) but we would talk about those details next time. I wonder just a little if she was giving us an easy out (with the "extra lesson" and hinting about the cost), since she could tell just from trying to schedule our next lesson that we have 6 kids and no budget or free time for dance lessons.

Hugs to you, Jean. Hope you can get some rest today.

• Like 3

I must be in a bad mood. I've been listening to Avril Lavigne, blink 182, and Good Charlotte all morning. That's never a good thing.

I like that a Canadian artist has made it pretty big in the international recording industry, though I must admit to not knowing many of her songs. Were I 20 years younger that would probably have been different. Does she still wear ties? 

This is the Avril I know - this photo is probably 10 years old already! 

rolling-stones-photoshoot-2002-avril-lav

I like that a Canadian artist has made it pretty big in the international recording industry, though I must admit to not knowing many of her songs. Were I 20 years younger that would probably have been different. Does she still wear ties? 

This is the Avril I know - this photo is probably 10 years old already! 

I don't know. I do. I like red and pink ties.

• Like 1

I just got my hair cut... an appointment I made months ago and completely forgot about until seeing the text reminder 2.5 minutes before the appointment was to begin.  Thankfully they graciously stayed late to fit me in anyway (it's about a 25 minute drive away, and tough to get evening appointments which of course are the ONLY appointments I can make).

And Starbucks is 2 minutes away.

So here I am again.  Need a lazy, overindulged, fattened-by-too-many-scones emoticon, Renai!   

But in any case I must depart, for the Packers are playing as I type this, and dh was not too thrilled about taking over for bedtime duty at the last minute like that.    :leaving:

• Like 4

Yay for your amazing co-director and for your brilliant prescription solution!

Boo to the Yah!

You are gonna rock the socks off of camp, Jean.   Those kiddos are so blessed to have you.  I mean, catapults?? C'mon!  How good is that!!  

• Like 6