Menu

Ignore this thread!

Here's one (Ben Sollee performing for TEDx). This is the first time I saw him.

That guy is amazing!

Musicians I really like to see perform live (because of what they do with the instruments):

Alex Wong (I found out about him when I went to see Vienna Teng perform, but now I like him even more than her).  He does some really interesting things with loops and instruments, including things like a waterphone:  

George Winston (piano, Hawaiian slack key guitar, harmonica).  He reaches inside the piano at times and does interesting things.  Here is the first tune of his I ever heard, which happened right when I really needed to hear something of this sort:  

And then there is Jake Shimabukuro and his ukuleles.  Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone?  

• Like 4

Things I learned in Middle School:

That best friends sometimes move away
That if you didn't shave your legs, even if you didn't need to, you would be made fun of
That gym class sucks
That it's really hard to get through your classes when your crush has a last name that comes right before yours and you always get assigned the seat right behind him
That I am good a drawing hands and most people aren't
What chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) were and why they were bad
That most teachers will already have an opinion on you based solely on your last name
That some teachers are jerks
That if you storm out of English class and you are a good student, you don't get in trouble
That some teachers are lifesavers
How to pronounce "gross"
That people will make fun of your sister for reading her Bible on the bus
That your sister reads her Bible on the bus
That I don't like French
That math class is easy if you read ahead in your textbook
That my clothes weren't cool
What Soap Operas were and that One Life to Live and General Hospital were the best
That I liked raw potatoes with salt as an afternoon snack – hey, you make do!
That I really wanted to go to the local private school for high school

• Like 5

I found a group for selling girl/girl twin clothes and feel like the new girl on a dating site. Instead of wondering if I should shave my legs, I’m wondering if I should iron for them! 😠All I did was ask about rules and 30 moms are messaging me with what sizes they need. Slow down, ladies! I’m not even done unpacking.

• Like 6

I, too, need the link to this. :seeya:

Why does my child need me to make everything into a word problem? 31,975/77 is impossible, but "How many bags of chocolate chips can you make with 31,975 chocolate chips if you put 77 in a bag?" is not a problem.

Yes, indeedy.  By definition x divided by y is most definitely a problem.  Math, go solve your own problems!

Chocolate is NEVER a problem.

:leaving:

• Like 3

Good morning. I slept. I happened to wake up at about 5;30 which was when the eclipse was happening our time. I glanced out both sides of the house, couldn’t see any moon and went back to sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment you were glancing I was either parked on the side of the road letting DD16, my Dad, and myself have a gander at the moon, or we were driving.  We watched it for about 10 minutes, long enough to watch the last of the white light leave the moon's surface, but we left before the red color truly set in.

• Like 1

I humiliated the rooster again, in front of his hens, too. He will never forgive me.

What did you do?  Did you call him "Roostie-wookums?"  If not he hasn't been humiliated enough yet.

• Like 1

I'm back.  Had a lovely time meeting SWB and other ladies and getting reacquainted with others.   I told SWB "Hi from the ITT" and she snorted.  She said that she checks in on us every couple of weeks! 

HI, SUSAN W.B.!!!!

:seeya:  :seeya:  :seeya:

I'm so glad she lets this thread keep going!  And I'm glad you had a lovely time!

• Like 4

My dreams tend toward mystery/suspense. Fortunately, I don't often remember them.

I need coffee. Or second sleep. Or both.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I still vaguely remember dreaming (when I was a teen in the 1980s) about Ellery Queen, Barnaby Jones, and Jessica Fletcher all needing my help to solve their cases.  I jumped into the car with Magnum and we sorted everything out before Higgins complained.

• Like 2

Okay, so the turtle, being a turtle, went down to the creek, found a dead prickly pear cactus and came back hollering that he got spines in his hand from touching it. Trouble is, no thorns can be seen. This was a dead cactus, so the spines were brittle and all but gone. He wants to know when they will come out on their own, because he can't find any of them, even with good light and very fine tweezers.

Sigh.

Everything. About once a quarter it updates and removes my manually installed programs (photoshop, word) and says they can't be reinstalled but I can purchase the ones specifically made for 10 and I have to dig through the programming to work around it. It has a 5 hour or more update every two weeks or so, after which I go through and change all the settings to avoid things like automatic screen resizing and effing cortana and her attitude. There are built in advertisements. It will do anything to prevent me from using programs I own, as in that I've paid for, to make me buy more. I have literally pirated material I own so that I could install it. I don't like that it's app based. I grew up in the 90s; I like DOS. I can manipulate DOS. Leave my computer alone and let me do my thing. Stop "updating" it.

Windows 10 also will run those updates when it decides to, whether you are in the middle of something or not.  We have been trying to avoid it like the plague here.

• Like 2

Don't! They'll stick that way!

Mom tried to tell me that but the eye doctor debunked that statement to me right in front of her.  He realized right after that maybe he shouldn't have done that.

• Like 2

We are back from the Old Lady Party. There is one lady who talks nonstop about being worried about her sister and/or nieces and describes so many violent methods of being murdered. Poor thing. And eventually I have to interrupt her to tell her it's time to sing "You Are My Sunshine". I was glad to see Joe there. He was a "radio man" back in the 30's and 40's and loves to sing. He always wears a yellow cardigan. :)

I forgot about the 40lb bags of hardwood fuel pellets (bunny and rat litter) in the back of the van. Anyone want to haul them up?

We're having Pakistani Kima for dinner.

Is the kima supposed to be spicy?  Or can it be made for northern USA wimps?

I'm building a menu you around non Whole30 compliant foods that we have so I can start cleaning all of that out. Tonight is tacos because our produce is going to go bad. Also, next week we're having cream cheese chicken chili to clear out some canned goods and rice.

When do you move?

Yes, but if you dig around it says something about it originally stemming from Islam. I looked around quite a bit, which is how I drew the Jethro was a Muslim conclusion and gave up.

Maybe he was just ahead of his time?

• Like 1

When do you move?

End of May.

The Coltranians?

I've given up on this. Working on the licks to the center of a tootsie pop thing now.

Your children?!

No, they're in their cages. My first thought was battery but I got the same thing twice so I'm afraid the scale is just broken.
  • Like 3

My best friend-since-third-grade's brother died last night, in his sleep.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I got word that the husband of one of my friends from work has died, too.  His funeral is Thursday.  I think I will attend.

I like to listen to the news while doing stuff - chores, laundry, etc.

When I was in college I started setting my alarm to play NPR morning news and I think their calm voices helped me wake up better than anything else. Sleeping sleeping is someone talking what are they saying dow jones is up opec is meeting oh look it's morning. News doesn't give me anxiety or worry though. Dh avoids news and only checks it on weekends because it tends to stress him out.

Strangely enough, we rarely listen to music unless it's something we specifically want or need to hear (or are playing it ourselves).

We don't play music here very often, either.  I find it too distracting, and can't do any thinking tasks while it plays.  I get lost in the music if it is any good.

I got I am a totally

And when I kept going using suggestions I got this:

I am a totally incompetent parent to have such a non compliant kid And the older kids had flown the co-op bank of America Merrill lynch,

So...

I do have some rather non compliant kids but I don't equate compliant kids with competent parenting and I rather value a certain degree of non compliance so I think my phone does not know me well.

And bank of America Merril lynch would be a lousy merger name.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

I met DH’s parents after we had been dating about a month. But DH and I were at an age where marriage was definitely a possibility. They invited me over for dinner. It was then that I found out the name thing....DH has 3 brothers and one sister. His oldest brother married a Kristin. The brother just older than him married a Christa. His sister is Christine. And I am Kristen. And his aunt had told him once, “Don’t worry honey, you’ll find your Kris...â€. It was fate.

Oh, my!  There's certainly a family pattern, isn't there?   :lol:  :lol:

• Like 1