Menu

Ignore this thread!

My DH is like that too. When it's just me and the kids, the tv stays off almost all day. I like silence or maybe some background music. When DH is home the d@mn ESPN is on nonstop. He even takes naps and leaves it on and I feel bad turning it off because what if he's watching it with his eyes closed? It drives me nuts. When house guests are here, they have Fox News on mostly but always something- turn it off!

I find that my quiet kids are quiet all day and the more talkative ones wake up and go to sleep talking and talk nonstop throughout the day.

DH watches either ESPN or horseracing when he's home. The trick is that he watches almost everything with the sound off. I don't know exactly how he got into that habit, but the first thing he does is mute the sound. Sure does make doing other things (like writing, painting or reading) a lot easier.

• Like 3

I could use some extra prayers, for those inclined. Tomorrow is the day, and it's scary. Just gotta get through today without tipping my hand, but little people have pieced things together (cuz they're smarter than is good for them at present) and are asking questions, so now I have to worry about them tipping my hand, too. Please pray all goes smoothly.

Hoping all goes well for you. :grouphug:

• Like 1

I could use some extra prayers, for those inclined. Tomorrow is the day, and it's scary. Just gotta get through today without tipping my hand, but little people have pieced things together (cuz they're smarter than is good for them at present) and are asking questions, so now I have to worry about them tipping my hand, too. Please pray all goes smoothly.

Praying, Bookie.  Be strong and be safe.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 3

Yesterday an anonymous neighbor left a complaint on our garage door for Ds20. He is upset that Ds’ car has no muffler and it wakes him up in the morning when Ds goes to work. If I knew who posted it on the door I could tell them that Ds has had an appointment at a garage for a month now but a necessary part has been slow to come in. I can sympathize with the noise complaint but I feel like this person was a jerk in how they handled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Me: Okay, are you ready to do school?

Weapon X: Are we doing school today?

Me: Yes, we're doing school today. Why wouldn't we be doing school today?

Weapon X: I think you're still sick. You should lay down and rest.

I'm sure he's only worried about my health and well-being. 😒

• Like 10

So I mopped our master bedroom.  Which required moving baskets from under the tall dresser.  Which made me realize the baskets might hold my Hebrew books.  Which is good because we are having serious lack of bookshelf issues and they've been tossed to and fro for the last two weeks.  

Which meant I had to move the contents of the baskets (sheets and picture frames).  Which meant I had to clean up under the bassinet in our room so that the sheets would fit there and then haul the frames to the basement so they can eventually get boxed in the crawlspace.  And then I had to crawl into the crawlspace to get felt, and then glue the felt onto the bottom of the baskets so that they don't scratch up the new floors when I slide them full of heavy books every day.  Which required finding cardboard and setting things up in the garage so that I could safely spray the adhesive.  

I finally finished, with everything set up and put away, and made my lunch.  And as I sat my tired arse down to enjoy it.... the garage door opened.  Dh and 5 kids all piled in noisy and wondering why I'd only managed to mop one bedroom while they were gone.  

This needs to be a picture book for the whole family to read aloud together.

So very very true....

Give a Mom a Mop Booyah!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

I posted something a while back stating that I needed to do 3 things. Does anyone remember them? One was get up early.

2.  Like everything good in ITT.

3.  Remember not to die.

• Like 4

I saw bone broth for the first time yesterday at the store. Maybe I just never paid attention to it. How much do you supposed to drink every day? And is it just drinking it, or making a soup with it, or what?

I keep shaking my head over this new moniker since bone broth = stock, in my experience.  I learned to shut up about it at the store, though, because:

1. people like the alliteration and thinking that this is something new, and
  2. there are now more options available in store-bought stock/bone broth than there were before.

I much prefer stock over broth whenever I can get it, so I'll take what I can get (since I don't get to make my own as often as I would like).

• Like 1

Yesterday an anonymous neighbor left a complaint on our garage door for Ds20. He is upset that Ds’ car has no muffler and it wakes him up in the morning when Ds goes to work. If I knew who posted it on the door I could tell them that Ds has had an appointment at a garage for a month now but a necessary part has been slow to come in. I can sympathize with the noise complaint but I feel like this person was a jerk in how they handled it.

I'd let it go.  When your DS gets his muffler, then the person can be all happy that you heeded his advice/warning, and you can then be the good neighbor who is reactive to the needs of others as far as they are concerned.  Either way, the guys will get his desired result.  It doesn't do any good to be feuding with neighbors.

On the other hand, you could post a sign on your garage that says, "BEWARE OF FLAMETHROWER."  That might get said neighbor into the correct frame of mind.

• Like 7

I agree with the jerkiness assessment. I mean, seriously, what did they expect? That the pastor and his family would attack them on the doorstep?

On the other hand, I s'pose it's possible that they've heard that you hang out with some weird woman with a bazooka....

• Like 8

Well, which is it?  Are they the same or not?  How can you prefer one over the other if they are the same?

(I say not, for what it's worth.)

Broth is generally more meat based. Stock includes bones.

I guess bone broth might be just bones and no meat? 

Well, which is it?  Are they the same or not?  How can you prefer one over the other if they are the same?

(I say not, for what it's worth.)

Stock = bone broth  

"Bone broth" is not a broth, it is a stock. 

Broth is thinner, and doesn't contain the collagen from the bones that stock does.  The difference between a stock and a broth is bones; if bones were a significant part of the ingredients being cooked up (to get the collagen out) then the resulting liquid is a stock.  If there were no bones then the resulting liquid is a broth.

Stocks can use vegetables (especially aromatics) and other ingredients, but the bones must be in the pot, too.

"Vegetable stock" is actually a broth because it has no collagen.

Fish and seafood stocks will often use the skeletons, heads, shells, etc. to supply the collagen.  These all get strained away at the end.

"Consomme'" is basically a condensed broth or stock that has been clarified (strained until it is quite clear, no floating bits clouding the liquid).  There are some pretty intricate instructions online for making a really clear consomme'.

"Bouillon" is simply the French word for "broth".

• Like 5

Lost pound number 3!! This one took a little bit longer than a week to lose, but it happened!

My weight loss is always slow, too. Right now I'm combining strength training, paleo and fasting and I'm getting thinner but the scale is going up. So that's fun.

I have to type on my phone because I keep losing the ability to type some of the letters on my laptop. I guess I really do need to order that new laptop.

What are you getting? I love Toshiba.

Tomorrow is MIL's birthday.

It has been almost four months since she passed away. I want to have a birthday party for her with the kids.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I think a birthday party is a lovely idea.

If you would all be so inclined as to keep this friend of the family in your thoughts, my sister just posted:

Just found out that [NP] is having surgery on Friday to remove a tumor from his pancreas 😢 it’s very risky with a long recovery. This is the kid that [nephew] played with every day we lived in PA.

He’s 19, just started college, is an only child - mom’s miracle baby. 😢

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

How did the surgery go?  (If you haven't reported that already)

Ds found some good deals. Dell, I think.

One pound a week is what I was shooting for.

Dell sucks. I have two broken ones as proof, and the second lasted less than three months. And the company didn't want to fix it, although it's covered by warranty.

• Like 1

Ds found some good deals. Dell, I think.

One pound a week is what I was shooting for.

No me gusta Dell. But honestly at the end of the day I don't really use a computer enough to make a difference.

According to Dr. Fung if I give up eating all together I should lose a pound every 2-3 days. It's tempting!

• Like 2

So... do you think that I can lose 50 pounds or more by Wednesday for when I meet SWB and others?

YOU GOT TO MEET SWB?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so jealous!  How was it?  Did you have fun?

• Like 2

Oh my word. I'm reading more about this class action against MVD, and one of the people who can't get a driver's license (not even a REAL ID issue), is our former mayor. They've turned down all his documentation, including his passport. This is unreal.

That ought to play well in court!

• Like 1

No me gusta Dell. But honestly at the end of the day I don't really use a computer enough to make a difference.

According to Dr. Fung if I give up eating all together I should lose a pound every 2-3 days. It's tempting!

Putting my mana hat on. Healthy choices are best and last. Extremes aren’t healthy. Are they don’t last.

• Like 4

I don’t even know what that is.

An old GS camp prank.  The prankster puts a potato in someone's sock in a drawer.  A couple of days later they do it again.  Over time the frequency of sock potatoes and the number of them increases.  The trick is to not get caught by ANYONE, so everyone is wondering:

1. What's the deal with all these potatoes?  and
  2. Who keeps doing this?!?!?

Taught to me by a former GS camp counselor/director.  At college we did something similar, but using dry pinto beans placed on computer keyboards instead.  It was fun watching lab mates and profs trying to figure out what was going on.

• Like 1

I'm hungry, but the boys are about 2/3 of the way through a chore that will require my assistance at the end (catching the uncooperative, evil rooster). Do I warm up my plate knowing I'll have to leave it to chase a chicken? Or do I wait?

I decided to warm up my lunch using a skillet in the oven. Then my food will be warm and ready to eat when I can give my full attention to it. It's good food. I plan to eat with enthusiasm.

• Like 1

Stock = bone broth  

"Bone broth" is not a broth, it is a stock. 

Broth is thinner, and doesn't contain the collagen from the bones that stock does.  The difference between a stock and a broth is bones; if bones were a significant part of the ingredients being cooked up (to get the collagen out) then the resulting liquid is a stock.  If there were no bones then the resulting liquid is a broth.

Stocks can use vegetables (especially aromatics) and other ingredients, but the bones must be in the pot, too.

"Vegetable stock" is actually a broth because it has no collagen.

Fish and seafood stocks will often use the skeletons, heads, shells, etc. to supply the collagen.  These all get strained away at the end.

"Consomme'" is basically a condensed broth or stock that has been clarified (strained until it is quite clear, no floating bits clouding the liquid).  There are some pretty intricate instructions online for making a really clear consomme'.

"Bouillon" is simply the French word for "broth".

Ah, I understand now what you were getting at. 

I disagree that broth never has bones, though. 

I can magically find things that are right in front of people’s noses - including Dh. It’s a super power, I tell ya.

Your kids couldn't find your DH?  He must have been camouflaged!   :leaving:

• Like 1

What I remember from middle school:

I learned some things about Mesopotamia

My sister's friend called me a bad name and my sister agreed with her

I did an oral book report about The Family that Nobody Wanted

Taking group showers was the worst part of my entire schooling career

My 7th grade English teacher gave us "watermelon seeds" with story ideas for creative writing

A girl in my class burnt down her foster parents' house one morning before coming to school; I still wonder what happened to her

I knew by 8th grade that science was not going to be my best subject

The assistant principal was also a district magistrate and you really didn't want to go to his office (although I believe that he was actually very nice)

If a teacher walks to school with a He-Man lunch box, he will be ridiculed

I learned The Gettysburg Address (some of which I still remember, but most of which I've forgotten)

I participated in MathCounts and learned that I would be much better at math if I had patience

I was in the school spelling bee in 8th grade; my dad took off work and was kind of mad that I missed my very first word: persistent

I learned that when a girl in your class tells you that you look like Beaker on the Muppet Show, she probably doesn't want to be your friend

I learned that when you roll with a mean nickname, people will admire you for it

We took a field trip to visit historical sites in a city less than 30 minutes away and I remember some of what I learned there

Kids like me who pack their lunch aren't cool

I learned that I'm not very good at painting

I learned to sing the school Fight Song (and I still remember it)

I learned that if a kid on your bus drinks too much helium, he will profess that he is madly in love with you and probably never remember that it ever happened

I learned to make pineapple-upside-down cake, sort of

That was fun!  I remembered more than I thought I would.  However, very little of what I learned is actually useful.

I remember lots of bad things mostly.  Though I do remember amazing the rest of the choir when I attempted a solo (those kids picked on me less after that).  I remember that gum in your hair doesn't mean a haircut -- the home ec teacher knows how to get it out with peanut butter.  And once I earned my way out of regular math class into the self-study group I was suddenly accepted by one small cool clique.  Mostly I remember relief when Mom & Dad enrolled us elsewhere for high school.

• Like 3