Menu

Ignore this thread!

It seems to be the pattern of this virus. Malaise, a sore throat, and then you get sick. Turtle One had a sore throat for almost a week before he finally started throwing up, and then ran fever for three days. He's almost over it, but it's taken him a week to get mostly back to normal, and he's still sniffing and coughing. 

If I start running a high fever, I'll go. Right now I just feel stuffed up, achy and have a headache and a sore throat.

I did not want to hear this.  I am tired from overwork and lack of massages, yeah, that's it.  I am coughing from congestion from finally getting back to the humidity after the very dry Colorado air.  Any further effects are from the decades of dust I wallowed through to find Dad's things he wanted kept.

No, I don't have time this month for the flu.  I will NOT get the flu.  Nope nope nope!

• Like 2

Oh, I got to catch and hold the evil rooster while the boys rounded up the hens. That's always fun. He despises cuddling. He'd love to kick me to death, but has to submit to being tenderly wrapped in a towel and listen to me tell him he's a good boy, a pretty boy, and should behave himself. :D

You should also call him "Roostie-wookums".  I bet he'd love that!

• Like 1

I had lunch with Paige today!!  :party:

We realized that we live sort-of nearish each other, so we arranged to meet for lunch.

And then the weather didn't cooperate and we rescheduled.

So, today we finally got to meet.

She's super nice and our kids are near the same age.

(Well, except for her Baby.)  I got to meet him too.  He was such a good little boy and slept all through lunch.

Hooray!!!!

• Like 1

My mom says that her podiatrist quit his job and now goes around to retirement homes are cuts nails all day for $15 a pair (of feet). He makes more than he did as a podiatrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should remember to ask Dad how his toenails are.  It's not something that comes up in normal conversation, but could be important.  Thanks for the thought prompt!

• Like 2

Our family road trip to Arizona is Shapiro up.

Shaping! I left that in cuz stupid autocorrect.

I like it!  What part of AZ will you be Shapiroing?

• Like 2

I need to get up and fold laundry. But, i’m cozy under my throw and I don’t feel like getting up. Plus, I had my eyes dilated at the optometrist today and I always need to rest after medical procedures.

Dilated eyes can affect your coordination and balance.  Trying to focus eyes that can't can also cause headaches.  You stayed seated and rested, right?  Because you know that staying seated and resting was the better thing to do.

• Like 1

I will say after reading the three books (all self-published works), I have a whole new appreciation for agents and editors. Especially editors. And rewriting. Rewriting until your hands fall off, subjecting yourself to savage critique partners/beta readers who have your best interests in mind, then rewriting, and rewriting and rewriting. Sometimes it isn't fun, but by golly, I think it's good for the writer's soul, and I know it is good for the writer's writing.

• Like 3

I am almost desperate enough for good cornbread to buy a package of not-certified GF cornmeal. :glare: I made up cornbread with a GF mix, grumbling the whole way, and I can tell by the way it feels on the toothpick that it's going to be dry, crumbly and not good cornbread at all. I want good cornbread, durn it! :mad:

Why nobody in this town has a single package of GF cornmeal, I don't know.

That's how I feel about eggless cornbread.  I gave up.  I'd rather just have my memories.

• Like 2

That's how I feel about eggless cornbread.  I gave up.  I'd rather just have my memories.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

In my case, cream gravy for fried chicken. Same sort of thing. I keep trying, but it just ain't the same. Not yet. I'm stubborn though.

There was a time when I was our neighborhood “Momâ€. I got called to help one person dispose of an aquarium full of dead fish. And I helped with the carpet cleaning after a dog had diarrhea. And I helped the lady who called to tell me that her “dead baby was in the toilet “ (miscarriage). I did tell the lady who called to tell me that her husband had a fever and could I go to the store to get him some soup, to go get it herself. All the gross things that happen to living and dead bodies don’t bother me but being unnecessarily helpless does.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Thank you for being there for them.  Some of those things are too rough to handle on one's own.

• Like 1

Summer is hard- flip flops everywhere! I have issues. 

I will try to remember to visit you only in winter.  When I get hot I like to bare my feet as much as possible.  And you don't want to visit down here in summer, anyway.  Come when feet are well shrouded!

Woke up to a blanket of snow :)

I know some of you are sick of snow by now, but this is our first real snowfall since Christmas so we're happy.

The day after we left Greeley, CO to start the drive home Greeley got 6" of snow.  We left just in time!  I like snow, but not when I'm exhausted and just want to get home and have an elderly person in the vehicle.

• Like 2

I want to grow shallots and leeks. I use both in cooking often enough to wince whenever I have to buy them at the store.

Got any good recipes to share?  I haven't used shallots or leeks as much as I would like to.

• Like 1

What do you use for virtual labs?  I have got to salvage both biology and botany labs somehow, and virtual might help.

I have looked up specific labs as they come up in my book and have found lots of different sources.  I just go with the best one that fits what is in the book.  I know that probably doesn't help much.  Pearson is one company that has a lot of virtual labs. 

PSA: Yesterday evening when I was crying in the bathtub, I decided the thing my brain was shortcutting over was funny, so I forced myself to laugh - hahaha, hihihi. After some time it kind of worked. Even DW in the living room eventually started to laugh. So, if you're feeling down, and you feel dumb for trying to smile to make yourself feel better, you can feel even dumber laughing to try to make yourself happy, and have it work. 

• Like 6

My life is all topsy turvy today.  I had to leave first thing after breakfast to see my sister in law, the eye doc.  My bed isn't even made and the dishes aren't washed and the laundry isn't started.  And while it is neat to look in the mirror and see dark eyes instead of my usual grey (due to dilation), driving home was a bit nerve wracking.   But I'm home.  And despite still feeling a bit yucky, I have to do a full body tackle on the day. 

• Like 1

Dd probably broke her nose at the start of last week. She stopped a frisbee with her face.

Ouch!  I hope it's better!

Amidst the bruises and scratches I acquired clearing through Dad's place I ended up walking into an open closet door in the hotel room -- and I was the one who left that door open just a moment before.  My face didn't change color much, but it sure did hurt for days!  I hope EP fared better.

• Like 1

My life is all topsy turvy today.  I had to leave first thing after breakfast to see my sister in law, the eye doc.  My bed isn't even made and the dishes aren't washed and the laundry isn't started.  And while it is neat to look in the mirror and see dark eyes instead of my usual grey (due to dilation), driving home was a bit nerve wracking.   But I'm home.  And despite still feeling a bit yucky, I have to do a full body tackle on the day. 

I never like having to go into town first thing in the morning. Seems like the rest of the day never gets off the ground.

• Like 3

A round bar of Invigorating Shea Butter Soap?

I make a meatloaf that's 1/2 veggies including mushrooms.  So good!

Yum!  You shared the recipe, right?  If not, now is the perfect time to rectify this oversight.   :drool5:

I love mushrooms. I particularly like the ones that sometimes grow on my property that I harvest surreptitiously when no one is watching me. I have to hurry to beat the bugs, though. They like those mushrooms, too.

I might paint them this year if I get a good crop and some good pictures.

Any idea what kind of 'shrooms they are?

I had gluten for the first time in 2 weeks last night and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I will not be finishing all the things. 

We were having morning time. Sorry.

The weather is nice so I have to walk the kids but Matt said he would go with us when he gets home. Ever since Alex started walking the entire trail I've liked having an adult on each side. The ends aren't dangerous but can result in scraped knees and small tumbles.

So, this leaves me the entire day to clean the master bedroom, both bathrooms, do seat work, memory work and a 45-minute chest and back workout. I slept through my morning routine so I have to do my Bible, Greek and Spanish.

Mama's Morning is now and we'll be hiking in about 2 hours after which we'll rotate memory work with showers. The bathrooms and chest and back are postponed until tomorrow.

Yum!  You shared the recipe, right?  If not, now is the perfect time to rectify this oversight.   :drool5:

https://thedomesticman.com/2014/03/27/meatloaf-paleo-gluten-free/ I love this recipe.

• Like 1

Today was the culmination of train wrecks and disasters, which may explain why I was so tired. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   What a time!  I hope all is going better now.

• Like 1

I had gluten for the first time in 2 weeks last night and I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I will not be finishing all the things. 

Mama's Morning is now and we'll be hiking in about 2 hours after which we'll rotate memory work with showers. The bathrooms and chest and back are postponed until tomorrow.

https://thedomesticman.com/2014/03/27/meatloaf-paleo-gluten-free/ I love this recipe.

I just found where you shared it before!  Looks nummy, thank you!

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever had those.  A websearch turns up $75 of dried morels at AFSA, of all places.  What are some good things to do with morels?

I just eat them. I cook them up with a little butter and gobble them all before anyone can ask me for a bite.

• Like 1

I had a whackadoodle neighbor who came to my door AFTER she cut a huge bouquet of hydrangeas to ask if she could cut them. I was spitting mad. And flabbergasted. The very strong odor of alcohol that rolled off her when I opened the door was an indicator of why, though.

And I had another whackadoodle who stole some plants. Ds had elaborate plans for a plant security system.

MIL has a motion-activated sprinkler in her garden, to protect it from the depredations of the deer.  I recommend hooking up some of those AND a motion-activated camera.

• Like 1

MIL has a motion-activated sprinkler in her garden, to protect it from the depredations of the deer.  I recommend hooking up some of those AND a motion-activated camera.

This was a number of years ago.  The forays on my flower garden stopped when I ran outside once when the whackadoodle in question started to stop in front of my house.  I followed her "menacingly" for a couple of blocks.  She never came back.  (I did not say anything to her or threaten her in any way but she kept looking back and my face was not encouraging.)

• Like 1

When I worked at white castle I was told I would be fired if I called in sick. Isn't that great?

This is so funny. John can do half of his work independently but can't make breakfast.

Yeah, when I worked food service we got a lot of that.  We were allowed two sick days without a doctor's note, but if we took two in a row our jobs were in jeopardy.  I got mono on the job because a sick coworker was too desperate to keep her job.  She was a waitress, too, and worked a busy shift.  Even with my doctor's note confirming the mono my boss decided to punish me for staying away and cut me down to a small fraction of my usual hours.

I have encountered enough stinky food service bosses to know from employee behavior when certain types of bosses are in charge.  Once I get clear of those places I don't go back.

• Like 1