Menu

Ignore this thread!

Made me snort. Attracted funny looks from my kids. Now they're annoyed that I won't explain. That's funny, too.

Squishy keeps grabbing my face to turn it toward him. Then he looks very intently at me and yells, "Oreeeahhh! Glemph!" Five minutes later, he'll do it again. I don't know what he means.

Maybe he wanted Oreos.

The boys learned what kind of time it takes to prepare a full meal from scratch for four people. It's quite good, but really, they've been working on it in some form or the other since one this afternoon. I showed them how to make good use of the time while things are cooking, but I think they came away with a new appreciation for the time it takes to make good food.

A very good lesson, indeed!  You included cleaning up after themselves while they wait on stuff cooking, right?

• Like 1

I didn't mean background noise in the room. But when watching, say, TV shows, the background noise *in the TV show* can make it hard for me to understand what's being said. Even in Dutch or English or w/e. So, I always have subtitles on when watching TV, and I thought my Spanish listening comprehension kind of sucked compared to my reading comprehension. But, speeches tend to not have any background noise, and I was amazed at how easy it was to follow it. So, maybe my listening comprehension is better than I thought it was. Of course, the question is whether the stuff on the CLEP test has any kind of background noise - I should see if I can find samples, like you said. Probably not, but even a poor recording can make it just so much harder than for most people. 

I have this exact same problem.  I am so happy someone else understands, though I'm bummed for us both that we have to deal with this.

• Like 1

Did I tell you about the Great Trash Contest I'm holding? Scoreboard is up and I'm in the lead. The goal is to see when the trashcan is full, take it out, and put a bag in before the other guy gets there first. Winner gets a chocolate bar of their choice at the end of the week. :D

I have considered that I have an unfair advantage having been so good at this job for years, but I ain't sporting anyone a trash run. Nope. 

How goes this contest?  Is anyone else still playing, or just you?

I could try this game....

• Like 1

What are "fours" in this context?

How they quantify gum recession - 1’s are good, 4’s are bad.

You’ve never had them touch your gums near each tooth with that metal pointy instrument thingy and call out 2-3-3-2-3-4-3-3 while someone else records it?

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

DH just announced to DD13, who has lost her voice, that Jeff Dunham now has How To Be A Ventriloquist videos on YouTube.  

There you go, DD13!  You don't need your own voice, just get a dummy to talk for you!

• Like 1

Nobody is taking this thread seriously!

What are you doing, teaching??

I drove two hours round trip to take Gymnast to a one hour performance. It was fabulous. Got home just in time to put something in her mouth before her online Chinese lesson. Then I took a nap while she watched Mr. Rogers and Davey and Goliath. Then she practiced her violin. Now she's outside. And, now it is time to leave again. I have to stop by the violin shop for a shoulder rest and an E fine tuner before going to her violin lesson. Ciao!

• Like 5

How they quantify gum recession - 1’s are good, 4’s are bad.

You’ve never had them touch your gums near each tooth with that metal pointy instrument thingy and call out 2-3-3-2-3-4-3-3 while someone else records it?

Oh, that thing!  Okay!

I don't THINK I have any fours....

• Like 2

The boys and DH are participating. So far the boys and I tied one week, and last week a boy won. I'm in the lead this week, but the boys are catching up.

Woohoo!  How are you verifying score?

She's a good mom.

This is totally a thing! This is why I don't think language should be mandatory in school. Either start it in elementary or leave the kids alone. I took Spanish in high school because I was afraid to learn a language from a book.

Random, slightly related question:

Would it be against "the rules" to do four years of high school English and/or some other subjects in two years, to better concentrate on getting through math and lab sciences and such later?

I need to find a wasp and have it sting me in the arm. My right arm. I have a lot of shoulder pain, don’t know why, but I remember having the same thing, same shoulder about 10 years ago and accidentally blundered into a wasp nest and a wasp stung me on my right arm and it cured my pain.

• Like 2

Me too.  I blame my mom but that might not be fair.  Maybe I should blame Susan instead! 

I don't have such a subscription, but MIL shares hers, so I get to read them anyway.

• Like 1

I'm tired. I only wrote about 1000 words, though. I need to get another 1000 today, but I'm not sure it's in me. 

ETA: It's a river deficiency, I know it is. Well, I get to hang out around some bubbling hot springs this weekend. That'll have to do.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

We need to think like preppers.  Where are we going to meet if a zombie apocalypse takes out the forum?   :toetap05:

Maybe we should all give our contact info to someone.  I nominate Jean.

All contact info to Jean, and then everyone head for Central Texas to meet up.  We can then plan from there what comes next.

• Like 5

Tuesday was day 9 of meeting my higher step goal.

And day 5 of drinking bone broth.

Don’t worry. I won’t report these numbers forever. But I want to keep track for a month so I can see what results, if any, I get from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, too, am interested in what results you get.  Have you noticed any benefits yet?

• Like 1

Lego Lass is sick now, but I think it’s just a cold. I made her fish soup (which is her illness comfort food). It’s from an Irish cookbook, but since wine is one of the ingredients I have my doubts how traditional it could be.

Recipe, please?  How is LL now?

The cold that just ripped through my house came with fevers of 100 to 102. But the aches and coughing were less than what I would expect with the flu. Tylenol did a good job of keeping the fever down around the 99 to 100 mark. Boys were eating throughout the sickness and only complaining of a sore throat. Duration was about three days, with the third day being no fever, but just tired and a little off.

DD13's bug (bugs?) seem like a mixture of the flu and a cold.  She's now in day 5, and still pretty miserable.  I did brush the huge snarls out of her hair and send her to the shower to wash her hair this afternoon, however.  She has had a bath a time or two, but those were soaks in the tub with no head scrubbing.  

• Like 1

DD13's bug (bugs?) seem like a mixture of the flu and a cold.  She's now in day 5, and still pretty miserable.  I did brush the huge snarls out of her hair and send her to the shower to wash her hair this afternoon, however.  She has had a bath a time or two, but those were soaks in the tub with no head scrubbing.  

Likes of sympathy. My guys were nowhere near that sick.

Happy Friday eve!!

I am so sleepy this morning! Off to work at my new job today! And I get to be alone there today! Well, except for my kids and any customers that come in.

Coffee!!

Must get moving!!

If I knew I forgot:  what is this new job?

My family doesn't learn. I can no longer even process things when there is too much noise in the background (I put tv on mute if someone wants to talk to me). Besides this, they still insist on running off with the mouth at the same time. Until I've said I've had enough! And point to them one at a time and ask them each what they want.

I have to do this, too.  Except I have to pause the TV or the continuing visuals are too distracting for one DD and me.  I have to point, too, or they each wait exactly the same amount of time (waiting for the other one to go first), and then start talking again.

• Like 1

The boys have almost completely cleared the garden of weeds for spring planting. Grandpa gave us some spare raised beds to put together. We may be able to start some leaf lettuce and spinach soon.

Good grief, that's right -- it's February, so it's planting time down here.  That snuck up on me -- too much time spent in the chill of Colorado.

• Like 1

Also, good morning!! 

It's exactly 1 week until we leave for Colorado. I'm nervous. Not sure why...I mean, we'll either get a 'yes' or a 'no'. It's like I'm afraid of the 'yes', but also afraid of the 'no'. 

There's no happy medium right now. I think it'll be a fun trip, though. 

We're going to go to the Denver Aquarium on Sunday; they have a mermaid show and we're going to make sure Riv gets to see it. I'm pretty sure that's going to be her life calling.

And, then DH has planned to take us to Maggiano's, an Italian restaurant he really likes. (I was apparently rich in a former life because the meal I REALLY REALLY REALLY want is $50!!)

EDIT: It's an expensive, nervous mermaid booyah in Colorado!

ARGH!  I WAS JUST THERE!  (Well, to the north, in Greeley.)  Had I known I would have waved at you as we headed southward towards home.

I'm pretty sure I could plan better if I got breakfast in bed followed by a leisurely walk to a waterfall, then got to sit out on the deck overlooking the falls whilst sipping lemonade and reflecting on all that truth, goodness and beauty. :laugh:

Of course, I might fall asleep first...

That isn't sleep.  That is deep medication, allowing your brain to process massive quantities of input and derivations.  It is essential for quality planning.

• Like 1

DH cannot abide the smell of mushrooms cooking. When I want stuffed mushrooms, or want them on my pizza, I have to make them when he's going to be out of the house all day. I make large quantities and freeze them in individual serving sizes for pizza.

I love mushrooms. :sad: So sad that he can't even stand to smell them.

My DH is that way about brussels sprouts.  The other day I made a stir-fry with only a handful of shreds of brussels sprouts.  I ate it all before DH got home, and cleaned up the pan.  "You have been cooking brussels sprouts," he said when he came in.

*sigh*  I know he doesn't like the smell.  That's why I cooked them when he wasn't home.  *sigh*

• Like 2

:(

It's no fun being allergic to something you like.

That is my sister with pears.  Like me she just can't resist a juicy, ripe pear, but pears make her mouth itch.

I like walnuts, but they make my mouth itch.  I'd go nuts if it weren't for pecans.  Pecans are close enough for satisfying most of my walnut cravings, and they don't make my mouth itch.

• Like 1

Random, slightly related question:

Would it be against "the rules" to do four years of high school English and/or some other subjects in two years, to better concentrate on getting through math and lab sciences and such later?

I don't think so, though some colleges might frown upon it. You should probably ask on the high school board.