• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I hate Christmas shopping. Even on-line in the comfort of my own home.... I hate it. I never know what to give anyone. And they make lists. And I'm cold. I think I need to go to bed. I feel very grouchy.

That like was more of a virtual hug than a sincere like.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Morning! I'm letting everyone sleep in! Hopefully they will sleep until 9 or 930. We have Bible study at 1030, then lunch, then go to work for a while during which I will shop for the Santa breakfast. At least I will be spending someone else's money!!

We just had a bit of sleet and rain mix. Forecast is for snow in the mix later today! This week started off in the 80's!!

Dinner will be leftovers. Woot woot!!

I still need to visit shutterfly. And order jeans for dh.

Better go check my list!

Be sure to check it twice!

• Like 2

Good morning!

It's humph day!

The two youngest have misinterpreted today's "act of kindness" and are negotiating with each other which chore(s) they will do for the other. :glare: Dd11 and ds13 have a choir performance this morning. It is 2-1/2 hours from drop-off to pick-up and 45 minutes from home. It's a private club so parents aren't allowed to come in and wait.

I could go shopping at the nearby mall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ack2: (Krissi, wanna come with? :D)

Actually, the only Trader Joes in the city is near there so I might stop by and see if they have any chocolate babka.

Let's see if I can get anything accomplished in the next hour. Dinner is tacos de carnitas.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

Good morning!

It's humph day!

The two youngest have misinterpreted today's "act of kindness" and are negotiating with each other which chore(s) they will do for the other. :glare: Dd11 and ds13 have a choir performance this morning. It is 2-1/2 hours from drop-off to pick-up and 45 minutes from home. It's a private club so parents aren't allowed to come in and wait.

I could go shopping at the nearby mall. :lol: :lol: :lol: :ack2: (Krissi, wanna come with? :D)

Actually, the only Trader Joes in the city is near there so I might stop by and see if they have any chocolate babka.

Let's see if I can get anything accomplished in the next hour.

Coffee!

Story.of.my.life.   :laugh:

• Like 3

I wonder what would happen if we sent our bills to Capitol Hill.

Wow, that did not come out with the humorous slant I was hoping.  I still have no brain this morning, so let's have some popcorn instead (since I don't have dancing turtles to share).   :lurk5:

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

We had to light a fire today for the young cat. She swears her fur is decorative only. She's happily sitting in front of it, having supervised the process. Caffeine now, school, and another run at the agents to compose today. I figured I would try to do two a week, and submit them them on Mondays. 

• Like 9

Popping in after a busy weekend...I haven't tried to catch up yet. I've been spending my free time trying to do all the Christmas shopping, planning, and things. The emotional burden women carry is real! I am 100% positive that nobody would ever get presents if it was up to DH and we have a big family. I used to try to make him responsible for gifts on his side of the family but what happened was nobody got anything other than whatever gift card he could find at the grocery store on the way to the party. And we didn't have kids yet! We also wouldn't have any Christmas meals, treats, decorations, activities, or anything else. 

As far as DH sees it, Christmas just happens magically around here.  :glare: It's important to my DC, so I don't want to pass it off to DH and risk the kids feeling let down. 

Today I'm planning on taking Baby to a Moms/Baby group sponsored by the hospital. Wish me luck. I feel like I'm going on blind date or something. I feel way too old and disillusioned to be hanging out with the new moms, but I'm so bored and need IRL friends. Maybe someone else will be old and disillusioned with 5 kids and a huge age gap among their kids? It could happen. And I really want the lactation consultant who facilitates it to look at Baby's tongue tie and maybe his latch to see if I can figure out what's up with him. I'd probably have talked myself out of going if it weren't for wanting to see the LC. I met some of my very best friends at a similar group when DS(16) was a baby. We've moved several times since but still keep in touch- I wouldn't need more IRL friends if we didn't move so much! It's weird going back now with a new baby 16yrs later. I have to leave in 10min and haven't even gotten dressed! Argh. Not a like. 

• Like 8

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Wednesday 👠aka Humph Day!!

It’s frosty and cold â„ï¸ out and I forgot to turn on the COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸Maker last night before I went to bed, so I have to wait for it this morning.😩😩

I finally got a good night’s sleep last night. No insomniac children to get us up.ðŸ‘

• Like 7

Popping in after a busy weekend...I haven't tried to catch up yet. I've been spending my free time trying to do all the Christmas shopping, planning, and things. The emotional burden women carry is real! I am 100% positive that nobody would ever get presents if it was up to DH and we have a big family. I used to try to make him responsible for gifts on his side of the family but what happened was nobody got anything other than whatever gift card he could find at the grocery store on the way to the party. And we didn't have kids yet! We also wouldn't have any Christmas meals, treats, decorations, activities, or anything else. 

As far as DH sees it, Christmas just happens magically around here.  :glare: It's important to my DC, so I don't want to pass it off to DH and risk the kids feeling let down. 

Today I'm planning on taking Baby to a Moms/Baby group sponsored by the hospital. Wish me luck. I feel like I'm going on blind date or something. I feel way too old and disillusioned to be hanging out with the new moms, but I'm so bored and need IRL friends. Maybe someone else will be old and disillusioned with 5 kids and a huge age gap among their kids? It could happen. And I really want the lactation consultant who facilitates it to look at Baby's tongue tie and maybe his latch to see if I can figure out what's up with him. I'd probably have talked myself out of going if it weren't for wanting to see the LC. I met some of my very best friends at a similar group when DS(16) was a baby. We've moved several times since but still keep in touch- I wouldn't need more IRL friends if we didn't move so much! It's weird going back now with a new baby 16yrs later. I have to leave in 10min and haven't even gotten dressed! Argh. Not a like. 

Good luck! 

I haven't even gone shopping for any gifts yet. I'm not certain that anyone on my side of the family is getting gifts this year. I keep hoping that at some point it will just sort of go away. :leaving:

I also have not decorated over the fireplace yet,either. Maybe I'll do that on Christmas Eve? Maybe? 

But we got our tickets for the carols in the cave. There's that anyway. Now you watch us get an ice storm the day of.

• Like 3

The emotional burden women carry is real!

As far as DH sees it, Christmas just happens magically around here. :glare: It's important to my DC, so I don't want to pass it off to DH and risk the kids feeling let down

You are so right about this. I’d be curious as to how many moms who are still “in the thick of things†regarding child-raising really and truly love the Christmas Season. There are things I enjoy, but overall I just feel a lot of pressure and anxiety, and i’m Not the type who totally goes over the top.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

You HAVE been busy!  I hope you find some new friends there.  Just be yourself and enjoy being a mother of a baby with other mothers of babies.  Your being newer to the area could be an ice-breaker subject, if needed.  First time mothers might feel a little unsure of themselves offering advice to a mother who has older kids, but they will happily share info and advice on local stuff to someone new or new-ish to the area.  And many will find your presence reassuring, because it will show that they, too, can continue to look to such groups for support when they have more kids in the future, that the group need not be only for those completely new to parenthood.

• Like 3

I can totally feel this. Except my kids are 11 years apart and I don't have any in between. There is a very high chance there will be at least one other that feels too old and disillusioned to be there. Unless she stays home because she didn't know you'd be there. :( So go, so you two can get together. Gymnast had a tongue tie. I think that may be why she nursed every 1.5 hours... Her dad has a tie that was never fixed. It's interesting-looking. 

• Like 2

I have a conundrum. I have two agents on my short list. One of them I marked out because she was closed for queries. Low and behold, while working on the letter, synopsis and so forth for another agent, I discover that the agent I nixed because of "closed for queries" is new this year to this agency where the agent I'm looking at works. 

Not a big deal, right? Only, only, only...another writer I write with has met this other agent. Really liked her. Said she's dying for a setting like mine. But that was when she was working for another agency, and I don't know that it's high on her priority list now! But, but, but...she's new to this agency, probably looking to get a few new clients, and.... :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

I can't query them both. That's a rule. <Bites nails>

• Like 2

I’m tring to convince dh we should get an indoor mini trampoline.

If today is like yesterday I might just order it myself willy nilly.

We walked into AFSA the other day and walked out with a $25 mini trampoline. Now granted, we'd been talking about getting one for a while. We just hadn't planned on getting it prior to walking into Walmart. It was on display as we were walking in the door.

• Like 5

I have a conundrum. I have two agents on my short list. One of them I marked out because she was closed for queries. Low and behold, while working on the letter, synopsis and so forth for another agent, I discover that the agent I nixed because of "closed for queries" is new this year to this agency where the agent I'm looking at works. 

Not a big deal, right? Only, only, only...another writer I write with has met this other agent. Really liked her. Said she's dying for a setting like mine. But that was when she was working for another agency, and I don't know that it's high on her priority list now! But, but, but...she's new to this agency, probably looking to get a few new clients, and.... :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:

Slow down...So, let me understand.

Agent A was on short list, but marked off because she was closed for queries. She has since moved to an agency where...

Agent B works. Agent B is the one you are currently working on getting a query packet for.

Writer friend really likes Agent B?, but you're not sure if B is on friend's priority list. Agent A is probably looking for new clients. You can't query both.

Is this right, or am I confused?

Checked my list.

Washed my hair.

Got more coffee, which I had to reheat in the microwave.

I probably should make a Dr appt for ds10. We're down to 4 doses of nebulizer albuterol and 12 puffs in one inhaler and no steroid inhaler.

I also checked my list, yesterday. That is when I realized that some things I thought I had ordered, I hadn't. So, I actually WASN'T mostly finished with Christmas shopping on November 27. That realization sucked. I'll finish today.

I think I'm allergic to my steroid inhaler.

• Like 1

Slow down...So, let me understand.

Agent A was on short list, but marked off because she was closed for queries. She has since moved to an agency where...

Agent B works. Agent B is the one you are currently working on getting a query packet for.

Writer friend really likes Agent B?, but you're not sure if B is on friend's priority list. Agent A is probably looking for new clients. You can't query both.

Is this right, or am I confused?

Close. Writer friend met Agent A, loves Agent A, says Agent A likes Southern settings in fantasy.

Yep, can't query both.

ETA: To the point that writer friend felt that I should increase the southern setting to the forefront of the query (not a problem, it's already there, and in the first five pages of the novel) because Agent A would be all over it.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Agent B-a tougher sell, but also wants more material, giving me a bigger opportunity to showcase my work. Agent B probably would have an interest in some aspects of my characters that are well, different. Agent B has a more specific wishlist than Agent A. Agent B has a slow response time. 90 days.

Agent A-wants less material--I've got a query and five pages and that's it. But that also might get me a request for more material. Responds 4-6 weeks usually, and 8 weeks for partial, 2 months for full requests.

I was totally going to do them both. And then Agent A had to go and move to Agent B's place of employment.

• Like 2

We are the Christmas elves, we are the concretizers of dreams...🧚â€â™€ï¸

This elf just cleared some of the charging station area and set up the two Christmas tree lamps and the light-up Santa's Workshop and Victorian house.  Given that this charging area is less used than it used to be after Christmas it might remain a bit decluttered.

The COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸ Is ready. ðŸ‘

When I die I want a COFFEE☕ï¸Pot shaped headstone. Except that our cemetery only allows the flat headstones anymore because it makes it easier to mow. I swear, no respect for the dead.

Maybe yours could have an outdoor outlet wired into it, and people who come to pay respects can set up camping tables and chairs and brew some coffee to sip while they visit with you.

• Like 4

Could you perhaps contact her informally to inquire as to her current situation?

• Like 2

We walked into AFSA the other day and walked out with a $25 mini trampoline. Now granted, we'd been talking about getting one for a while. We just hadn't planned on getting it prior to walking into Walmart. It was on display as we were walking in the door.

That's a good price.  Most I have seen are $30 and up, and it's been several years since I paid attention to the price.  I used to have one and the kids enjoyed it.  Years ago someone convinced me that bouncing on it is gentle on the knees -- at the time my knees didn't mind, but boy, my bladder certainly did!

• Like 1

Checked my list.

Washed my hair.

Got more coffee, which I had to reheat in the microwave.

I probably should make a Dr appt for ds10. We're down to 4 doses of nebulizer albuterol and 12 puffs in one inhaler and no steroid inhaler.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   I hope your DS gets better soon.

I also checked my list, yesterday. That is when I realized that some things I thought I had ordered, I hadn't. So, I actually WASN'T mostly finished with Christmas shopping on November 27. That realization sucked. I'll finish today.

I thought I was finished, too, except for Dad.  Then I remembered the small gifts for certain instructors, and my sister, and my BFF,....

• Like 1

Agent B-a tougher sell, but also wants more material, giving me a bigger opportunity to showcase my work. Agent B probably would have an interest in some aspects of my characters that are well, different. Agent B has a more specific wishlist than Agent A. Agent B has a slow response time. 90 days.

Agent A-wants less material--I've got a query and five pages and that's it. But that also might get me a request for more material. Responds 4-6 weeks usually, and 8 weeks for partial, 2 months for full requests.

I was totally going to do them both. And then Agent A had to go and move to Agent B's place of employment.

Phooey, that really is a dilemma.  

I woke up with a really sore shoulder.  I'm pretty sure it's from my mammogram yesterday.  The technician tugged on my arm a bit to get it into position.

This does probably answer the question of how my shoulder was dislocated last December.  I hope I don't end up in physical therapy again this year.

I will probably go back and talk to a manager about the problem.  They should had a section to their questionnaire about shoulder/back issues.

ETA:  It's a hope I don't sue ya Booyah!!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

Could you perhaps contact her informally to inquire as to her current situation?

Possibly. But that still doesn't help me decide unless I can contact her wanting to know if she still has an interest in fantasy stories that are character driven in plot and Southern in flavor.

ETA: And I've got no clue if that's kosher to do or not.

Edited by Critterfixer

I woke up with a really sore shoulder.  I'm pretty sure it's from my mammogram yesterday.  The technician tugged on my arm a bit to get it into position.

This does probably answer the question of how my shoulder was dislocated last December.  I hope I don't end up in physical therapy again this year.

I will probably go back and talk to a manager about the problem.  They should had a section to their questionnaire about shoulder/back issues.

ETA:  It's a hope I don't sue ya Booyah!!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   Yes, I think your suggestion about adding to their questionnaire is a good one.  They need to hear such feedback.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 2

Possibly. But that still doesn't help me decide unless I can contact her wanting to know if she still has an interest in fantasy stories that are character driven in plot and Southern in flavor.

ETA: And I've got no clue if that's kosher to do or not.

• Like 1

I’m tring to convince dh we should get an indoor mini trampoline.

If today is like yesterday I might just order it myself willy nilly.

Do it!

Close. Writer friend met Agent A, loves Agent A, says Agent A likes Southern settings in fantasy.

Yep, can't query both.

ETA: To the point that writer friend felt that I should increase the southern setting to the forefront of the query (not a problem, it's already there, and in the first five pages of the novel) because Agent A would be all over it.

I vote Agent A.  

• Like 2

First line of a real resume:  "As I Graduated High School,I have learned that I need to have a Job.."  Candidate then goes on to misspell the name of their high school.  Almost every sentence has two periods or an ellipsis.  State is abbreviated as pa, PA, and Pa throughout - as if he couldn't decide which was correct.  Bound to get it right at least once! 

And we hired this person... :svengo:

Please make sure to have someone, preferably an educated someone, proofread your resume.  That is all.

• Like 7

I'd go for the one new to the agency.  She will want to make a name for herself there, and a book that is bound to make squillions would be just the ticket!

• Like 5

Oh, bummer!

Oh, no!!  That's bad.  Stop using it and call your allergist  pronto!  ...  Nope, no excuses.  Just do what I say.

• Like 4

If Agent A thinks I stink and rejects me, I can still query Agent B. But I have to wait for total rejection before I can do that.

In that case, query Agent A first based solely on response time. You will be able to query the 2ND agent in 4-6 weeks if the first doesn't work out.

• Like 4

First line of a real resume:  "As I Graduated High School,I have learned that I need to have a Job.."  Candidate then goes on to misspell the name of their high school.  Almost every sentence has two periods or an ellipsis.  State is abbreviated as pa, PA, and Pa throughout - as if he couldn't decide which was correct.  Bound to get it right at least once! 

Please make sure to have someone, preferably an educated someone, proofread your resume.  That is all.

Is it bad that this makes me feel that I'm not failing my kids as badly as I thought.   :lol:

• Like 7

I'd go for the one new to the agency.  She will want to make a name for herself there, and a book that is bound to make squillions would be just the ticket!

In that case, query Agent A first based solely on response time. You will be able to query the 2ND agent in 4-6 weeks if the first doesn't work out.

It's unanimous!  (so far)  Agent A!!

• Like 2

Small Engin machinc

Do you think that was meant to be "Small Engine Mechanic"?  Because I don't think s/he was ever a machine.  Hmmm.

• Like 3

I hope this person didn't go to MY high school in Pennsylvania... although I wouldn't be entirely surprised. 

• Like 2

I have written a query specific to Agent A. :001_smile:

Agent A really wants writers to have platforms. In theory, I agree. Would love to have a platform. However, I don't know how to mention the fact that in order to use that platform, I would have to crawl up a ladder onto the roof, and sit on the chimney like Santa, whilst waving a phone in the air. Or drive up the road, park beside the old barn, get on top of my truck, and hope I'm facing the right direction depending on which tower is working that day.

• Like 2