Menu

Ignore this thread!

DH says 13-year-old boys?  Kitchen cleaning?  Volunteering?  He says he's suspicious.  He's sure they are up to something....

They are actually pretty handy around the house. They clean their own bathroom, do their own laundry, cook a few things, they can sweep, mop, fold towels, walk dogs, scoop kitty boxes. I'm trying to train them well.

• Like 6

It is. I've been watching it unfold and praying for all. We were going to use them for high school.

I had actually applied for fall to teach Spanish with them, but my friend  - who also volunteers to teach on VHG - got the job. She's understandably in shock about the suddenness of what happened. I was planning on doing a couple of science intensives for Dancer this fall. I never purchased though.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

I have character preferences, too. When I'm working on character, I'll often spend time listening to the music that suits them. The funniest was a really nasty piece of work of a magician who had a fondness for Big Band sound. The worst was a character who likes New Country. I can't stand country. I was kind of glad when I finished his character profile. :laugh:

• Like 3

They are actually pretty handy around the house. They clean their own bathroom, do their own laundry, cook a few things, they can sweep, mop, fold towels, walk dogs, scoop kitty boxes. I'm trying to train them well.

Good job!  My MIL (mother to 3 boys and no girls) would highly approve.

• Like 2

I have a rock collection. 

So do I!  And DD15 (from grade school science class).  DD12 wants to build a rock collection, too.

I also have a doll collection my Mom started for me when I was a baby.  I have a spoon collection she started for me in grade school.  I have my grandmother's (Dad's Mom) bell collection, and certain plates that both my Mom and my grandmother (Dad's Mom) had collected.  I have a bunch of nick nacks that I accumulated over the years, others I inherited, and some DH collected together.  DH has a computer guts collection.  He recently culled the bulk of his remote control vehicle collection.

And of course, I have a BOOK collection.  Because BOOKS.  Including some my Mom and her Mom collected.

• Like 5

So do I! And DD15 (from grade school science class). DD12 wants to build a rock collection, too.

I also have a doll collection my Mom started for me when I was a baby. I have a spoon collection she started for me in grade school. I have my grandmother's (Dad's Mom) bell collection, and certain plates that both my Mom and my grandmother (Dad's Mom) had collected. I have a bunch of nick nacks that I accumulated over the years, others I inherited, and some DH collected together. DH has a computer guts collection. He recently culled the bulk of his remote control vehicle collection.

And of course, I have a BOOK collection. Because BOOKS. Including some my Mom and her Mom collected.

Wow, you are a collector of all things.
  • Like 2

:confused1:   I hadn't heard.  What happened?  Or link to something that explains, please?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/

The IRS found they needed to classify their independent contractor teachers as employees. Stuff ensued with little to no communication to teachers or families. Some teachers went without full pay since November. Some teachers left before fall semester began. Some emailed families this month stating they weren't returning for the spring. A vague email was sent out yesterday to the families. Woke up to the school closed today.

Or, something like that. I got most of my info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LandryAcademy/

• Like 2

So who is your favorite music artist?

Mine depends on the mood I'm in. I waffle between Beethoven, Pink Floyd, old Greenday, old Korn, and the composer for the movie One (I can't think of his name right now).

Two well worth checking out are George Winston (piano, Hawaiian slack key guitar, harmonica) and Jake Shimabukuro.

Jake:  

--  Yes, that is Bohemian Rhapsody on an ukulele!

George:  

--  This Carol of the Bells is one of my favorite pieces of his, but I like it best when listened to directly from his December CD because it is preceded by a very nice Prelude. Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

Mine depends on the mood I'm in. I waffle between Beethoven, Pink Floyd, old Greenday, old Korn, and the composer for the movie One (I can't think of his name right now).

I'm very eclectic:  renaissance music, Santana, ZZ Top, Jack Johnson, Mike Knofler (of Dire Straits) to name a few. . .

• Like 5

I have character preferences, too. When I'm working on character, I'll often spend time listening to the music that suits them. The funniest was a really nasty piece of work of a magician who had a fondness for Big Band sound. The worst was a character who likes New Country. I can't stand country. I was kind of glad when I finished his character profile. :laugh:

I love big band!!!!  And ragtime!

• Like 4

I guess that I'm glad that I am a die hard old fashioned homeschooler who doesn't outsource much at all  - in fact nothing at all at the moment and probably not for next year either.  I feel so badly for families that are left in the lurch and/or have invested thousands of dollars that they probably won't get to use (at least in it's entirety). 

• Like 9

I guess that I'm glad that I am a die hard old fashioned homeschooler who doesn't outsource much at all - in fact nothing at all at the moment and probably not for next year either. I feel so badly for families that are left in the lurch and/or have invested thousands of dollars that they probably won't get to use (at least in it's entirety).

I think some people outsource because of fear. My older 2 chose to go to public school for high school. Since that is not an option for my youngest, I have to teach high school. The thought of limiting her future terrifies me.
  • Like 2

We have an accidental international money collection in an old animal cracker jar. Many of the bills/coins are no longer used.

We have a jar of international coins, too! I have coins from the former Soviet Union. I love the coins from Scandinavia that have holes in the middle.

Tonight's math-worksheet- printing soundtrack is brought to you by Claude Bolling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Z349QIN1s

• Like 4

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632899-x-post-landry-academy-financial-problems/

The IRS found they needed to classify their independent contractor teachers as employees. Stuff ensued with little to no communication to teachers or families. Some teachers went without full pay since November. Some teachers left before fall semester began. Some emailed families this month stating they weren't returning for the spring. A vague email was sent out yesterday to the families. Woke up to the school closed today.

Or, something like that. I got most of my info here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LandryAcademy/

Good grief.  Hugs to all affected.     :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Wow! So many collections! I don't collect. My mom and her sister ruined it for me.

I forgot:  I also collect George Winston CDs.

And I'll collect Alex Wong CDs, too, as soon as he has more than City On A Lake (which I already have digitally).  Alex Wong is another good musician.

Ooo, and Marvin Hamlisch!  And John Williams!  And Gershwin!

And Al Sherman, Ray Stevens, PDQ Bach,....   :D

• Like 2

I'm very eclectic:  renaissance music, Santana, ZZ Top, Jack Johnson, Mike Knofler (of Dire Straits) to name a few. . .

The Chieftains!  Carmel Quinn!  The Andrews Sisters!  Mitch Miller!  The Firehouse Five, and the Firehouse Five Plus Two!

• Like 2

I got stuck in town with over an hour to kill waiting for DD to finish tutoring.

I read ITT for about an hour and twenty minutes straight.

I just caught up.

Would you ladies PLEASE stop talking behind my back?

HI, JJM!!!!

• Like 2

We have a jar of international coins, too! I have coins from the former Soviet Union. I love the coins from Scandinavia that have holes in the middle.

Tonight's math-worksheet- printing soundtrack is brought to you by Claude Bolling.

When I was growing up in MN we used to get Canadian coins a lot, so I started gathering those.  When I waited tables at a Denny's in Colorado I would go through the change in the register at night and swap out any interesting-looking Canadian coins for regular U.S. coins from my tips.  I ended up getting a very worn Canadian Centennial dime that way, and some other rather interesting coins from various other countries.

DH has some various foreign coins and bills from his business trips.

• Like 3

Nice!  I'll have to play it in its entirety tomorrow, when DH is at work and not fiddling with his latest noisy-ish toy.

• Like 1

I don't know. I look in my "Cleaning the Kitchen Playlist" and see lots of ELO, Elton John, Kansas, Boston, Lynrd Skynrd, Styxx.... and some John Denver, Squeeze, Romantics and Billy Joel thrown in there just to make it interesting.
  • Like 6

I think some people outsource because of fear. My older 2 chose to go to public school for high school. Since that is not an option for my youngest, I have to teach high school. The thought of limiting her future terrifies me. 

I have to teach high school, too. But I don't look at high school choices as truly limiting a future. I mean, I'm sure that there can be deficits, but I try to look on the side of what opportunities we can have homeschooling that we wouldn't have with the boys in a traditional school setting. It's going to be a little scary, for sure, but I hope we'll come out of the experience relatively unscathed. 

• Like 6

In the children's picture books I will keep How Fletcher was Hatched, McBroom's Ghost, One Monster After Another, and Verdi. I have a few others, but those are my favorites.

ETA: It's a never surrender your picture books, Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7