Menu

Ignore this thread!

I think my finger issue is from the way I hold my cell phone... :leaving:

I forgot to answer your post the other day...

I've had RA for 10 years and I have lots of joint issues.  I actually have been having a really rough time with the same finger that you mentioned.  I wish I had a solution.

The cause of the problem in that specific joint (middle joint, middle finger, right hand) -- too much right clicking on my mouse.

• Like 4

I'm a terrible blogger too, but my blog is for me so I don't care. Most of my posts are things I've responded to on the hive repeatedly and got tired of typing out.

I have learned so much from this place that has permanently changed the way I will teach that has never been found on a blog. Most blog posts I've read are about people with perfect homes, perfect schools and perfect children. My in real life homeschool friends have tried to mimic that and are incredibly burned out. So blog about that! Your failures, your dirty dishes and how your child humiliated you at the Wal-Mart when you said no to a request for candy.

• Like 5

Good morning. I sometimes hold my phone with my pinky like that. It can get uncomfortable, to put it lightly.

Update on DH's work situation: He's taking the whole weekend off! They decided they didn't want to give him holiday pay, which is fine by me. Hooray!

I must go start the coffee.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 10

From talking on it or texting?  If talking, maybe it's time to get one of those ear pieces that make you look like the borg.  If texting, I agree with AMJ - get to a proper keyboard and hang with us.   :D

I usually hang with ITT from my phone*.  I just have to adjust how I hold it.  I noticed yesterday I hold it in my left hand, with my right thumb underneath and my right middle finger pressing against the side of the phone.  Then I scroll with my right pointer.  I hate holding it in my right hand and using my thumb.  The problem is I was putting undue pressure on my right middle finger.  I guess after a year and a half it just was sick of it and told me so.

* Allows me to hang with DS when he is on his iPad and we don't always have to be in the school room (loft).  We're in there enough. :)

• Like 6

I forgot to answer your post the other day...

I've had RA for 10 years and I have lots of joint issues.  I actually have been having a really rough time with the same finger that you mentioned.  I wish I had a solution.

The cause of the problem in that specific joint (middle joint, middle finger, right hand) -- too much right clicking on my mouse.

Left click with my mouse more than I right click, so for me my pointer gets more of a workout than my middle.

Flexing my hand for a few minutes every hour yesterday seemed to help.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Yes, Susan, as a matter of fact I do have some peppermint mocha creamer to share!😀😀 Come on by!

It is foggy and a tad bit frosty out this morning! I'm baking today for the neighborhood. In years past I've done the Christmas cookie thing. This year I'm baking zwiebach. Not the hard, crunchy teething bread people think of when they hear "zwiebach". I grew up Mennonite (not Amish or Old Order Mennonite. Mennonite Brethren look and act the same as anyone else, but there are still some cultural retainers from the past) Zwiebach is basically bread dough that you pinch off to make little buns about an inch or two in diameter. Then, you pinch of a second piece, a little smaller than the first one and put it on top of the second one. They look kind of like little bread snowmen. Then you bake them. To eat, you pull the top bun off the bottom and put butter and jam in the little well it made and eat it that way. Absolutely delicious.

• Like 8

I usually hang with ITT from my phone*.  I just have to adjust how I hold it.  I noticed yesterday I hold it in my left hand, with my right thumb underneath and my right middle finger pressing against the side of the phone.  Then I scroll with my right pointer.  I hate holding it in my right hand and using my thumb.  The problem is I was putting undue pressure on my right middle finger.  I guess after a year and a half it just was sick of it and told me so.

* Allows me to hang with DS when he is on his iPad and we don't always have to be in the school room (loft).  We're in there enough. :)

Maybe Santa can get you one of those touch-screen stylus thingies that look like nice pens.  You can then alter your grip on the phone and use the stylus for scrolling.  At the very least a different grouping of muscles will have their turn to get tired out, and the other muscles will hopefully get a break and rest up.

For actually posting you can use voice-to-text, and let us have the fun of seeing how it messes up what you actually tried to say!

• Like 3

I'm a terrible blogger too, but my blog is for me so I don't care. Most of my posts are things I've responded to on the hive repeatedly and got tired of typing out.

I have learned so much from this place that has permanently changed the way I will teach that has never been found on a blog. Most blog posts I've read are about people with perfect homes, perfect schools and perfect children. My in real life homeschool friends have tried to mimic that and are incredibly burned out. So blog about that! Your failures, your dirty dishes and how your child humiliated you at the Wal-Mart when you said no to a request for candy.

I think I blogged a lot about me changing my mind. And again.  :leaving:  Oh, and the ghetto way of teaching reading - with index cards and a marker. Yep. No wonder my kid is screwed up.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

Left click with my mouse more than I right click, so for me my pointer gets more of a workout than my middle.

Flexing my hand for a few minutes every hour yesterday seemed to help.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Yes, Susan, as a matter of fact I do have some peppermint mocha creamer to share!😀😀 Come on by!

It is foggy and a tad bit frosty out this morning! I'm baking today for the neighborhood. In years past I've done the Christmas cookie thing. This year I'm baking zwiebach. Not the hard, crunchy teething bread people think of when they hear "zwiebach". I grew up Mennonite (not Amish or Old Order Mennonite. Mennonite Brethren look and act the same as anyone else, but there are still some cultural retainers from the past) Zwiebach is basically bread dough that you pinch off to make little buns about an inch or two in diameter. Then, you pinch of a second piece, a little smaller than the first one and put it on top of the second one. They look kind of like little bread snowmen. Then you bake them. To eat, you pull the top bun off the bottom and put butter and jam in the little well it made and eat it that way. Absolutely delicious.

That sounds so much better than those toddler biscotti thingies!  Since "zwei" is German for "two" it makes more sense, also.

• Like 3

I think I blogged a lot about me changing my mind. And again.  :leaving:  Oh, and the ghetto way of teaching reading - with index cards and a marker. Yep. No wonder my kid is screwed up.

Nothing wrong with index cards and a marker!

When we were small my Mom taught my preschool-aged sister how to read some by using flash cards of various commonplace food labels.

Edited to add:  This is when Kindergarten was only 1/2 day long and was usually a child's first official introduction to letters, the sounds they make, and the idea that they can make words.  My Mom refused to "wait for the teachers to do a proper job" and taught us some initial reading herself.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

I think my finger issue is from the way I hold my cell phone... :leaving:

My elbow hurts from having the laptop on my lap or in the bed instead of at a proper table. Or holding my phone at a particular angle when reading in bed. THings like that.  :glare:

• Like 3

I think I blogged a lot about me changing my mind. And again. :leaving: Oh, and the ghetto way of teaching reading - with index cards and a marker. Yep. No wonder my kid is screwed up.

Index cards and a marker are staples in our kindy. There are so many things you can do with flash cards.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My elbow hurts from having the laptop on my lap or in the bed instead of at a proper table. Or holding my phone at a particular angle when reading in bed. THings like that.  :glare:

My right hand seems to get more of a workout when I crochet.  I can only manage maybe two hours tops in a day for crochet time before I get threats of tendinitis in my right hand and arm.  I think I managed to get enough made for the family presents, thankfully.  I can put down the crochet for a bit.

I made an adequate (though somewhat disappointing) beef pho last night for supper -- my first time attempting such a thing, and using a recipe for a "quick" pho (doctors up store-bought broth).  I discovered this morning -- just a few minutes ago -- that I had left one burner turned on on the stove all night long.  It was a small back burner, seldom used but used last night, and the flame was on its lowest setting.  When I was cleaning up by the stove this morning I felt the heat.

Triple check that all burners are actually turned off when you think supper has finished cooking!  I can't believe I forgot that one burner.

• Like 3

My right hand seems to get more of a workout when I crochet.  I can only manage maybe two hours tops in a day for crochet time before I get threats of tendinitis in my right hand and arm.  I think I managed to get enough made for the family presents, thankfully.  I can put down the crochet for a bit.

I made an adequate (though somewhat disappointing) beef pho last night for supper -- my first time attempting such a thing, and using a recipe for a "quick" pho (doctors up store-bought broth).  I discovered this morning -- just a few minutes ago -- that I had left one burner turned on on the stove all night long.  It was a small back burner, seldom used but used last night, and the flame was on its lowest setting.  When I was cleaning up by the stove this morning I felt the heat.

Triple check that all burners are actually turned off when you think supper has finished cooking!  I can't believe I forgot that one burner.

I check before turning off the kitchen lights.  Every time.  I'm a bit paranoid about the gas stove.

• Like 3

I check before turning off the kitchen lights.  Every time.  I'm a bit paranoid about the gas stove.

I usually do so, too, before ever leaving the stove.  However, between using a seldom-used burner, the flame being VERY low and almost invisible, and being distracted by serving up something completely different that required assembly in the individual bowls I managed to miss it.  

I also keep the hood light on if I have any food being processed on the stove, in the oven, in a crockpot, in anything else -- it is my reminder to not forget the food.  It does not get turned off until every scrap of food has been put away.  Unfortunately, it is a wonderfully bright task light, and that, too, made it hard to notice the very low flame still lit on the back of the stove.

I need to make a knob check part of my paranoia now.  It had been in the past (when I had young kids who might reach and bump the knobs), but I fell out of that habit.  Time to reinstate it.

• Like 4

Renai, I can't find your old posts. Are they on your current blog?

Yeah. I'm copying-and-pasting them one by one.  :svengo:  I have years 2006 and 2007 up. Since they're backdated, they will appear in order (instead of showing as recent). You can access them from the sidebar.

• Like 3