Menu

Ignore this thread!

I know that feeling. And I have the thumb drive to prove it.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I have gotten *so much* for free. Some of it has to be useful at some point. If I'm going to pay for something I will have thought about it a lot. I've put some things on the shelf because he wasn't ready for it, but at this point the only thing I've regretted buying is handwriting curriculum.

• Like 2

Ds has gone out to buy a special cooker just so he can make fresh Christmas lumpia for his work Christmas party. Priorities, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What sort of special cooker?

I have been awake since 2:30 am, quite hot and unable to get back to sleep.  At about 4:15 I came back downstairs to resume the mopping I started yesterday.  The floor is now in its last drying stages, and I am about to get first breakfast before tackling more of the kitchen.

DD12 came downstairs ravenously thirsty and checking to see if we were being robbed (she heard me moving about).  I gave her a drink of water, prepped a water bottle for her to have on her nightstand, and explained exactly what she was to do (wake up parents if she could get to us -- bedrooms are close -- and either hide or feign deep sleep if she could not) if she ever woke up thinking we might be getting robbed downstairs.  I explained that she was certainly NOT to head downstairs to check by herself, since any robbers would hurt her.  

I have told the kids several times in the past that in the event of fire or any other emergency that yes, it would be nice for some attempt at warning if possible, but their highest priority and responsibility is to see to their own safety and no one else's.  They are to stay safe above all, and if they can do so safely get clear to go rouse neighbors and summon help.  I guess I need to revisit this topic with them.  It is a topic that bears repeating once in a while, like CPR training.

DH's alarm went off at 5 am so he was awake when I took a load of kitchen towels and floor mop pads upstairs to run through the wash.  I recommended he get back to sleep.

Time for first breakfast and more cleaning while I have the opportunity.

• Like 5

Deck the halls with cows and holly,

Boo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ya!

'Tis the season to eat red velvet cake,

Dawn we now our strechy pa-ants,

Wow I didn't know this song referenced booze,

(Courtesy of Slache)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I slept a deep dreamless sleep for almost 8 hours. And somehow it felt like 5 minutes.

I must clear all of the dishes out of the dishrack (read: the non-working dishwasher) so that husband can put in a new working dishwasher and I never have to wash a dish again. (That's how that works, right?) I must also clean the yard today. DH accidentally left a box of screws on the porch, which the dogs chewed up. Now there are screws scattered all over the yard that will be hosting 10+ small children on Sunday. Also bits of cardboard and puppy landmines.

I also need to finish the invitations to the birthday party so I can hand them out while everyone is here.

I think that's all. Everything else is either done or simply not going to get done. I'm okay with that.

• Like 5

I slept a deep dreamless sleep for almost 8 hours. And somehow it felt like 5 minutes.

I must clear all of the dishes out of the dishrack (read: the non-working dishwasher) so that husband can put in a new working dishwasher and I never have to wash a dish again. (That's how that works, right?) I must also clean the yard today. DH accidentally left a box of screws on the porch, which the dogs chewed up. Now there are screws scattered all over the yard that will be hosting 10+ small children on Sunday. Also bits of cardboard and puppy landmines.

I also need to finish the invitations to the birthday party so I can hand them out while everyone is here.

I think that's all. Everything else is either done or simply not going to get done. I'm okay with that.

Sounds like time for a metal detector.  Set the kids on it, and give a bounty for each screw they turn in.

And as a back-up maybe recommend closed-toed shoes for all Sunday attendees?

• Like 4

We did early Christmas with DH's folks last night.  One of my presents was a nice portrait of Benjamin Franklin.  I'm going to go see if I can swap it for a massage gift card.  My local massage place had been running a promotion where you get extra dollars on your card if you buy a certain amount -- if I am lucky that promotion hasn't ended yet.  I'm going to appeal to their patriotic spirit and see if they will take a non-president.   :laugh:

• Like 2

I'm glad I volunteered to do supper for 10 tomorrow evening and not this evening.  I need to get groceries for it, and I'm feeling rather brain-dead today.

Can lack of sleep mess with one's blood glucose readings?  About an hour after I ate a very usual breakfast (which usually leads to BG readings around the 120s) I had a BG of over 200.  I thought maybe it was a misfire so I tried again, changing the lancet and the finger poked, and it was still over 200.  Now (about an hour after that) my reading is down to the 130s.  I was hungry again, so I am having a protein snack pack now.

• Like 1

I'm glad I volunteered to do supper for 10 tomorrow evening and not this evening. I need to get groceries for it, and I'm feeling rather brain-dead today.

Can lack of sleep mess with one's blood glucose readings? About an hour after I ate a very usual breakfast (which usually leads to BG readings around the 120s) I had a BG of over 200. I thought maybe it was a misfire so I tried again, changing the lancet and the finger poked, and it was still over 200. Now (about an hour after that) my reading is down to the 130s. I was hungry again, so I am having a protein snack pack now.

yes it can mess with your readings. So can stress.
  • Like 2

Good Morning! I haven't coffee!

I have to go to town and get tape and stocking stuffers and take care of tlih. Then come home and start wrapping presents. Somewhere in there I will have to cook because people around here want to eat. Then there will be dishes and clean-up.

I don't feel like doing any of it either. I feel kinda blah. It is like when you finally get started, you get in a zone, and then you see progress, then you can't stop, and finally completion and a great sense of accomplishment. That is what I'm hoping for anyway. ;)

BOOYA!

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 9

Yes, lack of sleep can mess with BG. But I don't know if it will by THAT much.

But also, it could've been the physical activity before eating, and early.

Thanks.  That reading was also a bit sooner after I ate than I usually test, so now I need to do that again (test after only an hour) when I am well-rested and eat that same breakfast.  I keep thinking of variables and how to try to eliminate or confirm them as probable causes.  I did panic a bit when I saw those numbers, but I am relieved that after just another hour they had dropped down to the usual post-prandial reading range.

• Like 2

Today I'm doing another German Mennonite thing. It's even stranger than the zwiebach. I'm making peppernuts. There's lots of legends about how that name came about. Needless to say, they are little Christmas cookies with neither pepper nor nuts in them. And there are many recipes for peppernuts are there are Mennonite grandmas. The only requirement is that they are small (1/2 inch in diameter) and spicy. Mine are crunchy and hard, some are soft. Mine have anise and cardamom and cinnamon in them. They are very yummy.

• Like 5

I have to go to town and get tape and stocking stuffers and take care of tlih. Then come home and start wrapping presents. Somewhere in there I will have to cook because people around here want to eat. Then there will be dishes and clean-up.

I don't feel like doing any of it either. I feel kinda blah. It is like when you finally get started, you get in a zone, and then you see progress, then you can't stop, and finally completion and a great sense of accomplishment. That is what I'm hoping for anyway. ;)

So, that would be a where's-my-zone booyah?

• Like 2

Today I'm doing another German Mennonite thing. It's even stranger than the zwiebach. I'm making peppernuts. There's lots of legends about how that name came about. Needless to say, they are little Christmas cookies with neither pepper nor nuts in them. And there are many recipes for peppernuts are there are Mennonite grandmas. The only requirement is that they are small (1/2 inch in diameter) and spicy. Mine are crunchy and hard, some are soft. Mine have anise and cardamom and cinnamon in them. They are very yummy.

Pfeffernusse!  (There should be an umlaut over that u)  Care to share your recipe?  My mind says I should be able to adapt those to lower sugar....

• Like 1

:confused1: Is there a story behind this? 

Well, even though he isn't a dead president he was one of the Founding Fathers, so the U.S. Mint decided to honor him, too, with portraiture.

• Like 1

No coffee??😲😲😲 Rocco.... coffee! Stat! Forthwith! Pronto!

Hope the blahs go away today! ((Hugs))

PS: ya got a Booya/h!😉😉

• Like 4

We have one of those (induction burner plate)! It does come in handy from time to time.

Sometimes I just don't get dh. He had tried out the induction hot plate last night. But he was lazy and didn't wash the special magnetic pan that came with it. So today he's cooking the lumpia on the stove. So. .. if he could have done that, why did he have to buy the burner in the first place? Or why didn't he just wash the special pan this morning instead of putting it in the sink for me to wash later?
  • Like 3

Pfeffernusse! (There should be an umlaut over that u) Care to share your recipe? My mind says I should be able to adapt those to lower sugar....

You have a peppernut recipe?woohoo! Here's mine. How does it compare to yours?

Peppernuts:

3 C sugar, 1 C butter, 1 egg, 1 1/4 C dark Karo syrup, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. each of the following spices: star anise, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cardamom & 6 cups of flour.

Mix (the dough will be extremely stiff), chill for a couple of hours, roll out into little snakes, cut into pieces and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. I bake mine on parchment paper, it's much easier to remove from cookie sheet.

• Like 2

Sometimes I just don't get dh. He had tried out the induction hot plate last night. But he was lazy and didn't wash the special magnetic pan that came with it. So today he's cooking the lumpia on the stove. So. .. if he could have done that, why did he have to buy the burner in the first place? Or why didn't he just wash the special pan this morning instead of putting it in the sink for me to wash later?

Unpredictability makes life less boring.

• Like 4

BOOYA!

My Twin!  I just got back from The AFSA where I bought tape and stocking stuffers as well as groceries.  Hope you get to wrap presents alone in a dimly lit room, with Christmas music playing softly, and peppermint flavored coffee ALONE!!!!   :grouphug:

Oh, the entire reason for this event is to make some of us with similar complaints to say "Whew, at least dh didn't do what Jean's dh did!"   :lol:  :hat:   (J/K, But it is a bit of relief to know that we're not the only ones suffering from Illogical December Decisions.)

I have not sent out my Christmas cards yet because they haven't arrived here yet for me to address and send out.

We haven't sent ours out because we haven't taken the picture yet.   :eek:  :ohmy:  :svengo:  :smash:  :willy_nilly:

• Like 7

I was too busy reading Percy Jackson book 4 to sleep at a decent time (4:30). Now I'm awake again.

It is CEE, and I must shop. There is no food for Christmas dinner, and I need the last of stocking gifts. This means braving the AFSA two days before Christmas.

Sigh.

• Like 6

Yes, but why did they give it to you?  It seems like an odd gift.

They got me several smaller things but didn't feel satisfied with what they got me, so they gave me money, too, knowing I would do something like this.  Various forms of money are a time-honored custom in our family.  I would have been just as pleased with just what they got me.  It's all good stuff, and some of it is hand-made (jam!  including reduced sugar).

• Like 3

Any pan you can get a magnet to stick to will work with an induction burner.  You don't have to use the special pan that came with the hot plate.  Cast iron works great on induction burners, though you do want to be careful not to slide it around a lot if you don't want to scratch the burner surface.

• Like 1

They got me several smaller things but didn't feel satisfied with what they got me, so they gave me money, too, knowing I would do something like this. Various forms of money are a time-honored custom in our family. I would have been just as pleased with just what they got me. It's all good stuff, and some of it is hand-made (jam! including reduced sugar).

Wait. I'm so confused. Is Ben Franklin a framed picture or money with his picture on it?

• Like 2

You have a peppernut recipe?woohoo! Here's mine. How does it compare to yours?

Peppernuts:

3 C sugar, 1 C butter, 1 egg, 1 1/4 C dark Karo syrup, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. each of the following spices: star anise, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, cardamom & 6 cups of flour.

Mix (the dough will be extremely stiff), chill for a couple of hours, roll out into little snakes, cut into pieces and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. I bake mine on parchment paper, it's much easier to remove from cookie sheet.

Thank you!  I didn't have a recipe, but I remembered those cookies from high school German Club/Class.  Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...................................

I was just at the store and forgot I am out of stick cinnamon and whole cloves.  Oh, well.  We are stopping by AFSA in a little bit -- DD12 needs a different present for her sister.  Turns out Grandma & Grandpa gave DD15 the same book DD12 bought for her.  The one DD12 bought is easily returned (Amazon), so DD12 is going to return it and look for something else locally.

• Like 1

It is early. I want second sleep as soon as dh leaves for work. But now I'm hungry from smelling all the yummy cooked lumpia.

Is there a trick to rolling them?  I have never made any spring roll/egg roll/lumpia type thing myself before, but I'd like to try my hand at it.

• Like 1

Grump! FAFSA! Bah humbug!

I got back to sleep finally. Then the stoopid phone rang. Now the animals want tending even though technically I have a half hour yet. I will get over it once I get some breakfast but boo hiss!

Summon the Brigade!  TROMP TROMP TROMP TROMP TROMP....

• Like 4

Wait. I'm so confused. Is Ben Franklin a framed picture or money with his picture on it?

A lovely pocket-sized portrait on special, secure-featured paper, with the portrait, framing, and back executed in intaglio printing.  It's even a numbered print!

(Yes, it's money)

• Like 5