Menu

Ignore this thread!

I might be an oddball, but I can honestly say that TOG has never appealed to me. Basically, whenever anybody gives me a bunch of books and tells me to "do it this way" I'm going to pitch a fit. Stubborn rebellious teenager trapped in my brain, I think.

I have hobnobbed with my fellow wizards. One wizard critiqued my cheese roll. I resisted the urge to shove a cracker in his mouth.

• Like 9

I think I'm just drawn to something done and complete. My youngest will be in ninth grade the year after next and I have never taught high school before. My boys went to ps for high school but that is not an option for dd. So if anybody has suggestions I am listening.

I wouldn't buy TOG for that at all. I think that would give me a headache.

I think I'm just drawn to something done and complete. My youngest will be in ninth grade the year after next and I have never taught high school before. My boys went to ps for high school but that is not an option for dd. So if anybody has suggestions I am listening.

I think it's easier to find individual subjects complete and done.  

If I had to choose one all-in-one high school "box", I think I'd go the Oak Meadow route.

I just need a money tree to fund that.

• Like 2

Lately, I've been on a Pandia Press kick.  I didn't as highly of their stuff a few years ago, but now that I have more years of homeschooling under my belt, I really appreciate their efforts to create the wheel I was trying to create on my own.  I gave them a chunk of money during their Black Friday sale and have happily been using their stuff since. :)

So, my history lineup now looks like:

SOTW gr 1-4

Pandia Press gr 5-8 (Oldest went through Human Odyssey books 1-3 and History of US; youngest may go this route as well)

History of the ___ World 9-11

American History & Government grade 12 (except where older dd will do this gr9 when her older brother goes through it for 12th)

• Like 2

Okay. Potatoes are in the oven for eating later. Books for the young squirt in the writers' group are in the care. I plan to completely corrupt that poor child. Imagine, not having read Tolkien and wanting to write fantasy?! :svengo: Good thing I have duplicate copies of almost everything the man ever wrote! If that child is going to stick around, by gum, she's going to get schooled!

I don't think I have the energy for 17 things in one year. How about this? 

1) Third draft of my novel completed by April.

2) Beta reading round two in May and June,

3)while I work on the sequel

4)and research agents.

5)Round four on editing to be done by September/October,

6) query letters out,

7) spreadsheet created to track responses.

8)Second draft on the sequel to be NaNoWriMo project for next year, because I'm rebellious like that.

9)Continue to hone weak areas in writing

10) and plan to attend one writers' conference in the coming year.

11)Remember to do school,

12) pay attention to my family,

13)eat

14)and sleep

15)and take a bath now

16)and again.

I think I can manage that. :tongue_smilie:  

FTFY.

If you spread those out a bit you have at least 17. :lol:

Almost.

• Like 7

Me too. And then I never finish it. I wind up doing my own thing (with the resources I have).

• Like 3

:lol:

Sounds very reasonable.

That would be Krissi.  So, Schade or Krissi, if I wanted to give one a try, what should I start with?

I just ordered The Black Echo.  Some list online said it was the first of the bunch.

• Like 2

I might be an oddball, but I can honestly say that TOG has never appealed to me. Basically, whenever anybody gives me a bunch of books and tells me to "do it this way" I'm going to pitch a fit. Stubborn rebellious teenager trapped in my brain, I think.

I have hobnobbed with my fellow wizards. One wizard critiqued my cheese roll. I resisted the urge to shove a cracker in his mouth.

Because there was nothing he could say about your writing? I'd let the cheese roll comment slide. It must be hard for him to be around your genius.

• Like 9

Okay. Potatoes are in the oven for eating later. Books for the young squirt in the writers' group are in the care. I plan to completely corrupt that poor child. Imagine, not having read Tolkien and wanting to write fantasy?! :svengo: Good thing I have duplicate copies of almost everything the man ever wrote! If that child is going to stick around, by gum, she's going to get schooled!

I don't think I have the energy for 17 things in one year. How about this? 

1) Third draft of my novel completed by April.

2) Beta reading round two in May and June, while I work on the sequel and research agents.

3)Round four on editing to be done by September/October, query letters out, spreadsheet created to track responses.

4)Second draft on the sequel to be NaNoWriMo project for next year, because I'm rebellious like that.

5)Continue to hone weak areas in writing and plan to attend one writers' conference in the coming year.

6)Remember to do school, pay attention to my family, eat and sleep and take a bath now and again.

I think I can manage that. :tongue_smilie:  

Wait.  What?!?!

• Like 6

Ds went with me to the city council meeting. Apparently we were the largest crowd of citizens at their meeting. The mayor was grumpy and rude but he did bow to public pressure and made their process a bit fairer. We had to leave before the meeting was over but I introduced myself to the main neighborhood political agitator ;) out in the hallway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Lately, I've been on a Pandia Press kick. I didn't as highly of their stuff a few years ago, but now that I have more years of homeschooling under my belt, I really appreciate their efforts to create the wheel I was trying to create on my own. I gave them a chunk of money during their Black Friday sale and have happily been using their stuff since. :)

So, my history lineup now looks like:

SOTW gr 1-4

Pandia Press gr 5-8 (Oldest went through Human Odyssey books 1-3 and History of US; youngest may go this route as well)

History of the ___ World 9-11

American History & Government grade 12 (except where older dd will do this gr9 when her older brother goes through it for 12th)

DD is using Ancients 2 by them. I admit to tweaking it quite a bit (I hate History Pockets, I filled in with a couple of Jackdaw Portfolios and quite a bit of reading from Famous Men of Rome and Greece), but it's really working well for her. She's gotten the hang of the outlining from Kingfisher and loves the timeline stuff. She's getting really creative there.
  • Like 3

About TOG.....

I should have been the perfect TOG user.  I had kids in different stages; I love history (and so do some of the kids); I actually line up pretty well with it theologically.  But (there's always a but) it's a similar problem I have with the Bullet Journal.  Though TOG is chronological, it's still partly a unit study.  And I just don't have a unit study bone in my body.  The same way I like my calendar to visually reflect time marching steadily on, I like for history studies to be rooted in 1 spine (others may be added of course, but 1 main spine needs to drive it), that we go through at a consistent pace.  I don't like some weeks to be heavy reading and some weeks to be light reading.  I also don't like all the options and making decisions over and over again.  I have found a few beloved books through TOG book lists, but usually my most beloved books, most connections-made books come from Ambleside Online.  I felt like the history readings in TOG were often dry, but the literature books were often below level.  (Especially in the dialectic stage and then there's this incredible jump to the more difficult literature in the rhetoric stage.)  Furthermore, when we tried the discussion questions (a couple different times, once for a solid 9 week unit) I just didn't see them inspiring great epiphanies or discussions.  The engagement and interest I want to see have happened when we're read really interesting books, not dry books followed by questions (which may or may not have been covered in the assigned reading material and it was up to me to supply missing information from the teacher's notes when I spent how much on this crazy thing??????!!!!!)

So, to summarize, 

1) it was too much unit study, too many pieces, and not spine driven (which messed with the work load and my mental organization)

2) (some) dry history books, and poorly leveled literature

3) Poorly planned, uninspiring discussion questions

4) Nothing that engaged or sparked interest - even in my history and literature lovers.  

Isabel and others, I admire your skill to take a look at things and realize it wouldn't work for you.  I always have to beat my head against a wall a couple times before I figure it out.  Thick skull, I guess.   :banghead:

• Like 6

About TOG.....

I should have been the perfect TOG user. I had kids in different stages; I love history (and so do some of the kids); I actually line up pretty well with it theologically. But (there's always a but) it's a similar problem I have with the Bullet Journal. Though TOG is chronological, it's still partly a unit study. And I just don't have a unit study bone in my body. The same way I like my calendar to visually reflect time marching steadily on, I like for history studies to be rooted in 1 spine (others may be added of course, but 1 main spine needs to drive it), that we go through at a consistent pace. I don't like some weeks to be heavy reading and some weeks to be light reading. I also don't like all the options and making decisions over and over again. I have found a few beloved books through TOG book lists, but usually my most beloved books, most connections-made books come from Ambleside Online. I felt like the history readings in TOG were often dry, but the literature books were often below level. (Especially in the dialectic stage and then there's this incredible jump to the more difficult literature in the rhetoric stage.) Furthermore, when we tried the discussion questions (a couple different times, once for a solid 9 week unit) I just didn't see them inspiring great epiphanies or discussions. The engagement and interest I want to see have happened when we're read really interesting books, not dry books followed by questions (which may or may not have been covered in the assigned reading material and it was up to me to supply missing information from the teacher's notes when I spent how much on this crazy thing??????!!!!!)

So, to summarize,

1) it was too much unit study, too many pieces, and not spine driven (which messed with the work load and my mental organization)

2) (some) dry history books, and poorly leveled literature

3) Poorly planned, uninspiring discussion questions

4) Nothing that engaged or sparked interest - even in my history and literature lovers.

Isabel and others, I admire your skill to take a look at things and realize it wouldn't work for you. I always have to beat my head against a wall a couple times before I figure it out. Thick skull, I guess. :banghead:

Thank you! And thanks for the AO comment too!
  • Like 3

Good morning!

Ya'll didn't know that Lynn and I are mental twins, separated at birth? (Only she's much younger than me. :D )

Slache, I hope your day is better! Deep breaths.

Jean, if your tongue is still swollen you are exempt from adulting today. Rocco & Sven will be over shortly to take up the slack. I can fire up the Stealth 'Copter to taxi people.

Dh is really sick now, but he already took a sick day Monday and can't take off any more work. Dd14 said she felt a little nauseus yesterday. 😠 Everyone needs to get better because my parents will be here on Friday and no one needs to be spreading germs to them!

Coffee!

• Like 6

Good morning!

Ya'll didn't know that Lynn and I are mental twins, separated at birth? (Only she's much younger than me. :D )

Slache, I hope your day is better! Deep breaths.

Jean, if your tongue is still swollen you are exempt from adulting today. Rocco & Sven will be over shortly to take up the slack. I can fire up the Stealth 'Copter to taxi people.

Dh is really sick now, but he already took a sick day Monday and can't take off any more work. Dd14 said she felt a little nauseus yesterday. 😠 Everyone needs to get better because my parents will be here on Friday and no one needs to be spreading germs to them!

Coffee!

Awwwww, Susan, I have often felt the same.  Except I think we're pretty much the same age.  

Hope your dh and everyone feels better soon!!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

Because there was nothing he could say about your writing? I'd let the cheese roll comment slide. It must be hard for him to be around your genius.

He has no palate or taste buds left.  He clearly has destroyed them with junk food and too many condiments.

• Like 3