Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm sketching out the next several years of school and I'm realizing that I'm not going to be able to do all of the things, and that each of my kids' educations is going to look very different because of how I'm combining them together because of their wide age spreads. Is there no end to momma guilt?

No, pretty much not.

Even with only 2 kids, I am amazed at how much changes between the two... not necessarily in a good way, lol. FWIW, I am right there with you. I have many opinions on what should be part of a good high school education, and we basically need 6 years to cover it all :lol:

Plus, I keep forgetting things that I did with older and then not doing them with younger... because of the forgetting.

((Prairie))

• Like 3

Did you buy any of the extras with it?

I use the Map Aids.

I have Pop Quiz for some years, but dh has not been very, ahem, diligent about listening, so those were pretty much a waste of $, lol.

I am using Evals starting this year because I did not feel they were necessary before this (Rh) year (I feel good about that.)

I have Writing Aids. I like it, but I don't. It is very disjointed to me, even though I think the assignments are good. I like the way they are tied into the subject matter for each week.  But, I do not feel there was enough direct instruction. I think it could be useful at the Rh level if students have already gone through some of the more solid writing programs out there.

I LOVE the questions/discussions and the teacher's notes are incredibly helpful, especially with students working at different levels.

• Like 3

So, without your journal you are foot-list and memory-free?

:lol:

Heard back from big boss lady, its up to me essentially.  If I can get her in for a meeting and she has a good enough reason in my eye I can just suspend her. If not I can write up a letter of termination to mail to her.

Sounds very reasonable.

So, somebody on here had mentioned a Harry Bosch book once so I thought why not give it a try. I will never get anything done with one of those books in the house. I couldn't stop reading. I am so happy I got it from the library. Thank you to the one who mentioned it.

That would be Krissi.  So, Schade or Krissi, if I wanted to give one a try, what should I start with?

• Like 2

Okay. Potatoes are in the oven for eating later. Books for the young squirt in the writers' group are in the care. I plan to completely corrupt that poor child. Imagine, not having read Tolkien and wanting to write fantasy?! :svengo: Good thing I have duplicate copies of almost everything the man ever wrote! If that child is going to stick around, by gum, she's going to get schooled!

I don't think I have the energy for 17 things in one year. How about this? 

1) Third draft of my novel completed by April.

2) Beta reading round two in May and June, while I work on the sequel and research agents.

3)Round four on editing to be done by September/October, query letters out, spreadsheet created to track responses.

4)Second draft on the sequel to be NaNoWriMo project for next year, because I'm rebellious like that.

5)Continue to hone weak areas in writing and plan to attend one writers' conference in the coming year.

6)Remember to do school, pay attention to my family, eat and sleep and take a bath now and again.

I think I can manage that. :tongue_smilie:  

• Like 9

We have finished our maths lessons with not too much drama.

Second bit of schoolwork for the day is working on our Landmarks of the World unit. So I gave each kid a Landmark card and a couple of books; their assignment is to look over the books, check additional references if they like, and write or type up 6-10 important facts about their item. Then they have to locate it on the map and/or globe, and give a very short presentation, telling us where the thing is and talking briefly about the salient facts they found. Well, from the reaction of my Son and Heir, you would think I asked him for a 50K word thesis! Have to breathe deeply and remind myself that in his language "I can't do it! I'll die!" means "I am not 100% familiar with this activity. I may have to exert some effort. I am a little uncomfortable about the prospect." 

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 9

Okay. Potatoes are in the oven for eating later. Books for the young squirt in the writers' group are in the care. I plan to completely corrupt that poor child. Imagine, not having read Tolkien and wanting to write fantasy?! :svengo: Good thing I have duplicate copies of almost everything the man ever wrote! If that child is going to stick around, by gum, she's going to get schooled!

I don't think I have the energy for 17 things in one year. How about this?

1) Third draft of my novel completed by April.

2) Beta reading round two in May and June, while I work on the sequel and research agents.

3)Round four on editing to be done by September/October, query letters out, spreadsheet created to track responses.

4)Second draft on the sequel to be NaNoWriMo project for next year, because I'm rebellious like that.

5)Continue to hone weak areas in writing and plan to attend one writers' conference in the coming year.

6)Remember to do school, pay attention to my family, eat and sleep and take a bath now and again.

I think I can manage that. :tongue_smilie:

If you spread those out a bit you have at least 17. :lol:

• Like 8

Do you really like it for high school? Does it cover enough for the transcript? Does your child like it?

:lol: It covers enough and more. ToG is, um, very, very full. You do need to do some choosing. It will be 4 full years of history, 4 full years of English, .25 cr of Gov't and Philosophy, each, and there is some Bible Survey in there as well. If you do the History and, especially the Lit at full bore, you would have Honors courses. Their Poetics (not poetry, but Poetics as understood by Aristotle... more literary analysis) program for Lit is really, really thorough. I went to a pretty high end private college and even in college we did not do most of that. I have been culling a bit (Ancient Egyptian poetry was done after the "I love you from the bottom of my vital organs" piece, :D )

Obviously, you still need math and science and languages, etc.

I do like it. Ds likes it but doesn't love it, which is fine by me. Why? Because, the reason he doesn't *love* it is because it is WORK, and he is pretty allergic to that concept right now. But, he does find it interesting and enjoys our discussions, etc. As do I. I feel like it really helps young people to get a grasp of the human condition, as well as discovering that there really is "nothing new under the sun."  Watching the past sheds light on the future.

I also see that it has stretched all of us, including my Dialectic guy. I like stretching:-)

• Like 6

I'm sketching out the next several years of school and I'm realizing that I'm not going to be able to do all of the things, and that each of my kids' educations is going to look very different because of how I'm combining them together because of their wide age spreads. Is there no end to momma guilt?

Never feel guilty about doing what's right instead of doing what someone else would find impressive,

I have always drooled over TOG.  Once upon a time we had a poster on these boards that used TOG with her 2 kids, and she always posted photos of the work they were doing in each 9 week term.  So drool worthy.  But now with only 1 homeschooling, and too much curriculum in my house thanks to my addiction and leaning towards eclectic I can not even consider it, even if I can finally afford it (which I could not do when I was drooling over it haha)

Sure you can!

Impressive!  But way too engaged for me, lol.  I like the idea of 17 in 2017, except one of my sons has a number theory (all his own!) in which 17 is unlucky.   :lol:

I always plan too much and fall short.

So, without your journal you are foot-list and memory-free?

Before bullet journals were a thing I kept everything in a notebook. The day I lost it I was a total disaster.

Yes, dear! We're celebrating Valentine's Day tomorrow!😉

Shush.

A few years now. I have had a system which worked well in Dialectic. I LOVE so much about the Rhetoric level, but I am still trying to find my groove with it. 

Why do you ask? :-)

Cuz it's purty. I'm contemplating the primer.

• Like 4

So, somebody on here had mentioned a Harry Bosch book once so I thought why not give it a try. I will never get anything done with one of those books in the house. I couldn't stop reading. I am so happy I got it from the library. Thank you to the one who mentioned it.

your welcome. Always glad to pass on an addiction.

And now I know who Harry Bosch is. Oh, the time I can waste when I want to, lol.

😀

:lol:

That would be Krissi. So, Schade or Krissi, if I wanted to give one a try, what should I start with?

Start with the first one, "The Black Echo". Each basic story stands alone, but they are written in chronological order and each novel mentions characters and events from previous novels, so it's best to start at the beginning. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

:lol: It covers enough and more. ToG is, um, very, very full. You do need to do some choosing. It will be 4 full years of history, 4 full years of English, .25 cr of Gov't and Philosophy, each, and there is some Bible Survey in there as well. If you do the History and, especially the Lit at full bore, you would have Honors courses. Their Poetics (not poetry, but Poetics as understood by Aristotle... more literary analysis) program for Lit is really, really thorough. I went to a pretty high end private college and even in college we did not do most of that. I have been culling a bit (Ancient Egyptian poetry was done after the "I love you from the bottom of my vital organs" piece, :D )

I do like it. Ds likes it but doesn't love it, which is fine by me. Why? Because, the reason he doesn't *love* it is because it is WORK, and he is pretty allergic to that concept right now. But, he does find it interesting and enjoys our discussions, etc. As do I. I feel like it really helps young people to get a grasp of the human condition, as well as discovering that there really is "nothing new under the sun."  Watching the past sheds light on the future.

I also see that it has stretched all of us, including my Dialectic guy. I like stretching:-)

I think this might have been a very expensive post for me.

• Like 4

Please stop. 

I just spent waaaaaay too much time exploring the TOG website, and we are already bogged down and behind.  NO.MORE.WAVING.SHINY.NEW.CURRICULUM.IN.FRONT.OF.ME.

I.AM.USELESS.

NO.SHINY.NEW.CURRICULUM.WILL.NOT.SOLVE.MY.PROBLEMS.

(Wine, however, might. drinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif)

• Like 8

Please stop. 

I just spent waaaaaay too much time exploring the TOG website, and we are already bogged down and behind.  NO.MORE.WAVING.SHINY.NEW.CURRICULUM.IN.FRONT.OF.ME.

I.AM.USELESS.

I'm seriously contemplating it.

And The Black Echo is coming via Amazon Prime.

Bad day. embarrassed-smile-smiley-emoticon.gif

I would like a review in a month, please. :)

• Like 2

Please stop. 

I.AM.USELESS.

Then I will be happy to bring the wine.

And I firmly believe that shiny, new curriculum solves many problems. :D

Why are you useless? Tell me everything. (Unless you already have and I haven't seen it because I am not sketched up. In that case, point me to the post.)

And you are not useless. You are awesome sauce.

And I didn't get to your prayer post in time, but I am praying for you anyway :grouphug:

• Like 5

It was for me too.

Thank you Heather for answering my questions.

Anytime! It is hard to find IRL stuff on Tapestry past the grammar stages, and I am happy to help if people have specific questions. Again, I think people are too busy implementing to write about it, lol. But, it is VERY much worth the work in my opinion. And, we are by no means stars at it. I get behind on discussions some weeks. Or ds decides to write answers/essays in a monosyllabic, teen boy grunt, and I have to have him re-write them. (Or sometimes I don't and we just keep moving.) Or we hit a topic I find dull and must trudge through. But, overall, I see results. That helps me stay the course.

• Like 2

Well, fwiw, TOG years 1&2 are still in my stack to be donated. And I've added another bookcase full of books to that stack.  

I'm needing simplicity in my homeschool life. Instead of having 3-4 options for something on my shelf, I'm keeping 1-2. Consistently, I'm finding that I'm keeping the stuff that's easy for me to teach.

Speaking of simple to implement...what did you guys use for chemistry and physics?  I need something that ds can do mostly on his own. I realistically only have 1-2hrs a week I can give to him for science--grading, helping with hard stuff, supervising experiments, etc.

• Like 1

Well, fwiw, TOG years 1&2 are still in my stack to be donated. And I've added another bookcase full of books to that stack.  

I'm needing simplicity in my homeschool life. Instead of having 3-4 options for something on my shelf, I'm keeping 1-2. Consistently, I'm finding that I'm keeping the stuff that's easy for me to teach.

Speaking of simple to implement...what did you guys use for chemistry and physics?  I need something that ds can do mostly on his own. I realistically only have 1-2hrs a week I can give to him for science--grading, helping with hard stuff, supervising experiments, etc.

Aren't they older? Are they user friendly?

I got rid of a bunch this year too. I used to feel guilty for buying things I don't use. But, I almost always read through them and chew on them, so they help me to teach better even if I am using them in a, ahem, slightly more unorthodox fashion;-)

Easy to teach gets huge points. I think ToG works in that regard for me only because I started it a few years ago. The fog is gone and I (mostly) have a system.  I am not sure I would start it with a high schooler, unless I had a great deal more time, energy and brain cells.

Physics this year is Conceptual Physics as a text, and I am creating the labs for my guy and a friend with a mix of Novare and Stanford resources. Hewitt is great, and they have the supplemental website now.  I may be mixing it up a bit over the break, though. Oddly enough, I am having a hard time doing any explaining at the conceptual level. I have heard Regentrude say that the math makes it more clear. I am starting to feel that even I need to use math to explain it better. It works better in my own head with the math.  It is just the way I think. Luckily, I have Giancoli and Knight downstairs :D I will let you know what I come up with.

Right now, I have the Tang syllabus on the docket for Chem, with the text that he uses (which, of course, I can't remember right now). I have another text as well because I need to prepare with more than one book.  Probably Illustrated Guide for labs, unless I can find a decent one for him to attend... which I would be forever grateful for:-)  For Physics and Chem, I am having him do fewer labs, but more detailed reports. Then, he also watches some demonstrations. My kid does fine in the sciences, but has no passion for them... at all. I want him to know stuff, to have exposure to the lab process, and to be able to communicate scientifically. If you have a STEM kid, you may aspire higher, but that is our plan. 

I don't know if that really satisfies your requirements, but if I tend to plan thoroughly in the summer because I have less energy for hands on "mom" time during the school year too.

ETA: UNorthodox

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 1

My TOG are older. They are not user friendly. I don't think the newer TOG is user friendly either.   

Why TOG is not right for me & mine, in a few points:

1. It is unabashedly Reformed and evangelical in nature, and designed to show children truth and error (according to her narrow, providential viewpoint).

2. There are a ton of working pieces to buy, track, and use. 

3. Even when picking and choosing assignments, the amount of time required to cover the material is disproportionate to other subjects.  It could easily overtake my child's schoolday, pushing other subject time aside.

4. Her writing program is poorly designed.  

5. History is primarily taught through historical fiction....which I think is fine for younger kids, but not ok for high school aged ones.

I got rid of a bunch this year too. I used to feel guilty for buying things I don't use. But, I almost always read through them and chew on them, so they help me to teach better even if I am using them in a, ahem, slightly more unorthodox fashion;-)

Easy to teach gets huge points. I think ToG works in that regard for me only because I started it a few years ago. The fog is gone and I (mostly) have a system.  I am not sure I would start it with a high schooler, unless I had a great deal more time, energy and brain cells.

Physics this year is Conceptual Physics as a text, and I am creating the labs for my guy and a friend with a mix of Novare and Stanford resources. Hewitt is great, and they have the supplemental website now.  I may be mixing it up a bit over the break, though. Oddly enough, I am having a hard time doing any explaining at the conceptual level. I have heard Regentrude say that the math makes it more clear. I am starting to feel that even I need to use math to explain it better. It works better in my own head with the math.  It is just the way I think. Luckily, I have Giancoli and Knight downstairs :D I will let you know what I come up with.

Right now, I have the Tang syllabus on the docket for Chem, with the text that he uses (which, of course, I can't remember right now). I have another text as well because I need to prepare with more than one book.  Probably Illustrated Guide for labs, unless I can find a decent one for him to attend... which I would be forever grateful for:-)  For Physics and Chem, I am having him do fewer labs, but more detailed reports. Then, he also watches some demonstrations. My kid does fine in the sciences, but has no passion for them... at all. I want him to know stuff, to have exposure to the lab process, and to be able to communicate scientifically. If you have a STEM kid, you may aspire higher, but that is our plan. 

I don't know if that really satisfies your requirements, but if I tend to plan thoroughly in the summer because I have less energy for hands on "mom" time during the school year too.

Thanks.  I am cool with ditching books I have read but not used and chalking it up to teacher enrichment/preparation.  I have Hewitt Physics and Zumdahl chemistry sitting on my shelves, but I'm not convinced that they are a good fit for ds yet.

SaveSave

My TOG are older. They are not user friendly. I don't think the newer TOG is user friendly either.   

Why TOG is not right for me & mine, in a few points:

1. It is unabashedly Reformed and evangelical in nature, and designed to show children truth and error (according to her narrow, providential viewpoint).

3. Even when picking and choosing assignments, the amount of time required to cover the material is disproportionate to other subjects.  It could easily overtake my child's schoolday, pushing other subject time aside.

4. Her writing program is poorly designed.  

5. History is primarily taught through historical fiction....which I think is fine for younger kids, but not ok for high school aged ones.

I have heard that the olders are an organizational nightmare, lol.

And I TOTALLY agree on point #1. I modify some of the language in the discussions heavily because of this. It is actually nice to hear someone else say this because as much as I like the program, this bugs me.

I haven't found any of the assignments for this year's Rh history to be fiction yet, but I will now be on the lookout for that. Thanks. 

It is no perfect program and I hope it doesn't sound like I think it is, lol. I am just trying to answer questions. I use it more as a frame to keep me moving and the discussion commentary helps me to generate, well discussion ;) which can be hard when I get stuck in my own head. :lol:

Taking kid to youth group. More later.

• Like 2

These are the two holding me back. I need 1,000s of dollars and a maid.

• Like 2

Then I will be happy to bring the wine.

And I firmly believe that shiny, new curriculum solves many problems. :D

Why are you useless? Tell me everything. (Unless you already have and I haven't seen it because I am not sketched up. In that case, point me to the post.)

And you are not useless. You are awesome sauce.

And I didn't get to your prayer post in time, but I am praying for you anyway :grouphug:

glitter-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Derek Owens for Physics.  Still working on chemistry.

Or did you mean to, y'know, teach?  Because things go much smoother around here when I operate mostly as the cruise director. :glare:

• Like 4

I am another TOG drop-out. I have all 4 years in binders with page protectors. It's beautiful. But I found it to be too much work to implement and keep track of with 5 kids and 1 or 2 in every level. I've had much more success simply using SOTW with all the kids and having middle schoolers supplement with Streams of Civilization, The History of US, etc, and literature of my own choosing. They also are doing high school writing/English at tutorial, so that takes a huge amount off my plate.

I need to get back to work. Clean out another cupboard or bookshelf or work on Christmas gift craft. I think I'll go with craft for a change of pace.

• Like 3

Never mind the 2nd half of my prior post.  Chemistry is solved:  I'm outsourcing it to Heather. Cha ching!

• Like 3

I am another TOG drop-out. I have all 4 years in binders with page protectors. It's beautiful. But I found it to be too much work to implement and keep track of with 5 kids and 1 or 2 in every level. I've had much more success simply using SOTW with all the kids and having middle schoolers supplement with Streams of Civilization, The History of US, etc, and literature of my own choosing. They also are doing high school writing/English at tutorial, so that takes a huge amount off my plate.

I need to get back to work. Clean out another cupboard or bookshelf or work on Christmas gift craft. I think I'll go with craft for a change of pace.

You ought to sell them!

• Like 1

Since my last post, licensing walked in for an unannounced visit. Passed just fine. Missing staff showed up, late....her reason. She slept until 3 pm. I suspended her for rest of month. She can try again in new year after we reopen after the break. No mornings though. Told her it was because it was xmas so i was feeling generous, but not to blow it because i am not usually so.

Now time to get dd9 home while middles are at art.

• Like 6

Speaking of simple to implement...what did you guys use for chemistry and physics? I need something that ds can do mostly on his own. I realistically only have 1-2hrs a week I can give to him for science--grading, helping with hard stuff, supervising experiments, etc.

Feel free to donate to me...or sell haha

I pulled together my own history/ lit for 1st through 4th grades. We just read, narrated or discussed. I also had art and music coordinated with it which doubled as "activities ". After I did all of that Patty Johanna showed me TOG. I had basically duplicated it as far as my book selections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4

I pulled together my own history/ lit for 1st through 4th grades. We just read, narrated or discussed. I also had art and music coordinated with it which doubled as "activities ". After I did all of that Patty Johanna showed me TOG. I had basically duplicated it as far as my book selections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at it as a resource to help pull my own stuff together. But E-GADS the $$$!