• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Thanks for trying, y'all. How do i dye an ear?

Buy the easy dye packets from the craft store. Boil some water, add salt and dye. Dip the ear in and let it sit for about 10-15 mins. Watch to make sure it's not soaking too far into the parts you don't want dyed. Lay it somewhere and let the dye set for a good half hour to 45 mins. Very carefully rinse the ear really well to get all excess dye out without getting it on the rest of the pup. Throw the whole thing in the washing machine. And done.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This morning I went to an integrate-science-and-art workshop, picked up Dancer and a friend, and took them to afternoon band practice. I've been sitting in the next room over listening to their noise while I prepare Spanish I stuff for the online class. The ukelele club just came in to practice in this room, so I get to hear them too. Yay me.

• Like 4

GUG. Had a whole post and lost it. I worked, I libraried. It's amazing the things you come home with and the books that go on your library card when you are writing a fantasy story. Just saying.

Warning: Educational post for our writers. This week, dd chose, instead of working in her comp and rhetoric book, to write a compare/contrast of Rose Red and Snow White, and of the two stories. Any hints on what I should look for, or anywhere I could go to see how to grade this? Thanks!

I thought Rose Red and Snow White was a single story about two girls living in the woods with their mother, a nasty tempered dwarf, and a prince in bear's clothing. I'm not sure what that would be compared to. What other story is she wanting to compare/contrast it with?

• Like 3

I, rather unwisely, just spent 9 hours working on our landscaping. We trimmed the back landscaping, raked up the trimmings & bagged them, pulled weeds, laid 40 bags of mulch, and fertilized our shrubbery.  We hauled the bags of trimmings to the dump.  We still need to spray and lay as many bags of mulch again, but....progress!

• Like 5

I thought Rose Red and Snow White was a single story about two girls living in the woods with their mother, a nasty tempered dwarf, and a prince in bear's clothing. I'm not sure what that would be compared to. What other story is she wanting to compare/contrast it with?

Yes, you are right.

• Like 1

We are back from the university, and I am pooped. But I still have to take the girls to the dollar store and stop by the grocery for birthday ice cream.

A note on the University of Tennessee Chattanooga: it was built on both sides of a steep hill. So if your child is looking for a reasonably priced university where they can also get a good cardio workout just getting to and from classes, then UTC would be a school to consider. :D

• Like 4

This morning I went to an integrate-science-and-art workshop, picked up Dancer and a friend, and took them to afternoon band practice. I've been sitting in the next room over listening to their noise while I prepare Spanish I stuff for the online class. The ukelele club just came in to practice in this room, so I get to hear them too. Yay me.

Oooo, that's quite the musical combo! Just pray the recorder ensemble doesn't start up! :D

• Like 2

We are back from the university, and I am pooped. But I still have to take the girls to the dollar store and stop by the grocery for birthday ice cream.

A note on the University of Tennessee Chattanooga: it was built on both sides of a steep hill. So if your child is looking for a reasonably priced university where they can also get a good cardio workout just getting to and from classes, then UTC would be a school to consider. :D

I thought that said "We're back from the university and I pooped." I thought my, my, we're getting casual here.

• Like 8

Sis is waiting on a ct scan to rule out gall bladder. (The ultrasounds have been clear, but that doesn't mean anything.) I kinda hope it's gall bladder vs the other options that it could be. Gall bladder is easy compared to stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, cirrhosis, or gastroparesis. (She's been googling. I told her not to.)

• Like 5

Sis is waiting on a ct scan to rule out gall bladder. (The ultrasounds have been clear, but that doesn't mean anything.) I kinda hope it's gall bladder vs the other options that it could be. Gall bladder is easy compared to stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, cirrhosis, or gastroparesis. (She's been googling. I told her not to.)

Boy, I hope something shows up. I have heard of people having gall bladder stuff for years before anything showed up on ultrasounds, which sounds weird but there it is. Because also hoping it isn't one of those other things.

• Like 2

Boy, I hope something shows up. I have heard of people having gall bladder stuff for years before anything showed up on ultrasounds, which sounds weird but there it is. Because also hoping it isn't one of those other things.

Mine never showed up in ultrasounds. I had a couple during pregnancy and after. Nothing showed up until I got a stone lodged in a duct in my pancreas. Ended up with the highest numbers the doctor had ever seen!! I went in Monday and had meds for 3 days before they could even do surgery. It was miserable. I think I finally got to go home Friday. 

Riv was only 9 months. Forced separation was not fun. :( 

I almost hope it's the gall bladder. That would be an easier fix than everything else. 

• Like 4

Do you know how hard it is to walk on a treadmill while crying??? I finally got to watch the final episode of Parenthood. I knew I should've curled up in my blankie to watch!

Mary, I'm hoping it's gallbladder, too.

We had two extra kids here last night. Three extras tonight.

We made yummy fathead pizza!

Parenthood made me cry. 

Do you watch This is Us? That is my new "Parenthood". I have had tears almost every time. I absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

She was actually thinking snow white to rose red. But snow white to snow white might be better! What do you think? 

I'd be bored with either, to tell you the truth. I'm not much on fairy tale female protagonists. They are all pretty one-dimensional to me. The two girls (Snow White and Rose Red) don't really seem all that different to me, although they look different and are supposed to have different interests.

That's probably not great help. I'm just having trouble seeing much of a difference. They are both good girls that love their mother and try to do good and get a handsome prince at the end. I always loved how the prince conveniently has a second available marriage option for the sister. :laugh: Might be interesting to comment on how the prince marries the quieter girl who stays at home and does housework and marries off Rose-Red, the more exuberant and outspoken one to a brother, rather than the other way around. 

• Like 1

Oooo, that's quite the musical combo! Just pray the recorder ensemble doesn't start up! :D

Well, in the science workshop we talked about sound, waves, vibration and such and made an instrument using a tube, vinyl glove, and a drinking straw. I could have joined them!  :lol:

• Like 3

Thanks! Maybe I'll tell her to nix her idea! 

I think she might find the project a little dull and frustrating. In general, most fairy tales don't do a great job of characterization. The exception to that rule might be Hans Christian Anderson. I like fairy tales for plot, though. If she wanted to do something interesting, she might want to compare the plot of Snow White and Rose Red to the plot of another story with brother protagonists (LIke The Gold Children) and see how the plots compare for girl protagonists vs boy protagonists. What are the tests that the girls have to pass to prove they are true, good and generous? What about the boys? What tasks do they have to do to prove they are true, good and generous, or is heroic or strong something that they have to prove?

• Like 1