Menu

Ignore this thread!

A typical baseball game is about 3 hours.  If it rains, they usually put the game on hold -- sometimes for hours! -- and then continue playing.  (If it is a light rain, they *might* play through.) There is no clock in baseball.  They just play until someone wins.

Have fun!!  And how awesome that your kids are singing!!

There is also usually no such thing as a tied game in baseball.  If the score is tied they play extra innings until the score is not tied at the end of an inning.

I wonder how innings got their name ("innings")?

• Like 2

• Replies 216.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Listening to baseball on the radio and the smell of fresh cut grass are two very poignant summer time childhood memories. On Saturday afternoons my dad would cut the lawn and wash the car, all the while listening to baseball on the radio. And I'd be right out there with him, playing in the water or whatever. Gotta love life in the 1970's. It seemed to be a simpler time.

LIKE!

Yup, out of likes again.  I just got up!  I shouldn't be out of likes!

Unfortunately for us it wasn't simply the radio, Grandpa had the ball games on the TV.  We had to be sure to stay out of the line of sight so he could see what was going on in the game.  We also had to be quiet so he could hear the game.  It was an old black & white set (I grew up with black & white TV, and even remember TV shows airing "live" in black & white, so don't go thinking B&W TV is all that ancient) with one antenna, so we also had to fiddle with the tuning and reception for him sometimes.

We loved Grandpa and happily went to see him each summer, but those 110 days did drag on.  No going outside, no a/c, no jaunts to the library.  When it started to cool in the evening, however, we did get to go to the city park and listen to Grandpa play with the town band in the bandshell.  Now THAT's outdoor entertainment!

• Like 2

Good Morning.

I finally slept from about 4 a.m. until 8 a.m. So Yay for four hours of sleep!

Susan, things are going o.k. Everyone is doing well. I'm overwhelmed and can't manage to get any big decisions made because I just don't know what to do.

I hope everyone has a cool and breezy day.

• Like 4

Oh, I remember what I wanted to say. It was from yesterday, about jicama.

My jicama-eating dh has never heard of roasting it. He opens and eats as is. I don't like it because I think it is flavorless. Maybe I'll like it better roasted?

Roasting it does add a little flavor, but it still tastes like jicama.

For a nice treat on a hot summer day try this:

1. peel and cut up a jicama into sticks (never eat the peel)
  2. lay the sticks out on a plate and drizzle with a bit of lemon or lime juice (the fresher the better)
  3. sprinkle them to taste with cayenne pepper and just a touch of salt (go light on both and taste as you go)
  4. munch away!

This was the first thing I ever heard to do with jicama, and it's the taste that got me to try jicama.  It's still my favorite thing to do with this root.

I never eat an entire jicama in one go, so I take my just cut sticks and put them in a plastic bin with water -- keeps them fresher a little longer in the fridge than just bagging the sticks does.

Jicama is also yummy shredded into a green salad, cut into slices and shapes, whatever you like.  It goes well with other things because it picks up their flavors readily.  It adds fiber and a bit of water to the diet, too.

The roasted jicama was my first foray into actually cooking jicama.  Until I found that recipe I didn't know it could be cooked.

Ta Da, a jicama booyah!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 3

:ohmy:  :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5: :smilielol5:

*Promptly heads to the phone to tell BFF to google "Japanese f@rt scrolls"*

• Like 2

Okay, all caught up for the moment.  Time to make sure kids are fed and packed up for the day so I can dump them on Grandma.  Then it's Home Depot and back to here to have some brain time.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday, Ikslo! :party:

I decided to be nice to me today and fixed me breakfast. I've been cooking for the boys in the morning, since I decided they need more protein in the morning to facilitate school, but usually I just fix them something and eat nothing. Today I was hungry, so I added myself to the breakfast roster.

I am enjoying the writers' group. It's not as aggressive at building writing craft as I'd like. But they are very supportive of each other, and they are a highly entertaining batch of people. 

:grouphug: Jean and Dawn.

• Like 7

Roasting it does add a little flavor, but it still tastes like jicama.

For a nice treat on a hot summer day try this:

1. peel and cut up a jicama into sticks (never eat the peel)
  2. lay the sticks out on a plate and drizzle with a bit of lemon or lime juice (the fresher the better)
  3. sprinkle them to taste with cayenne pepper and just a touch of salt (go light on both and taste as you go)
  4. munch away!

This was the first thing I ever heard to do with jicama, and it's the taste that got me to try jicama.  It's still my favorite thing to do with this root.

I never eat an entire jicama in one go, so I take my just cut sticks and put them in a plastic bin with water -- keeps them fresher a little longer in the fridge than just bagging the sticks does.

Jicama is also yummy shredded into a green salad, cut into slices and shapes, whatever you like.  It goes well with other things because it picks up their flavors readily.  It adds fiber and a bit of water to the diet, too.

The roasted jicama was my first foray into actually cooking jicama.  Until I found that recipe I didn't know it could be cooked.

Ta Da, a jicama booyah!

This is how dh eats it (and most fruits) - with the salt, red chile, and lime. Except he cuts it in slices (circles). All I taste is chile, lime, and salt. I still think jicama is flavorless, lol!

• Like 3

Not cool here.  I just went outside to get the paper(to respond to the thread about what the paper has above the fold today on the chat forum) and it was already hot and muggy.  But we may be getting some rain today so on can hope.  We really need the rain here since we are in a severe drought.

• Like 5

Not cool here.  I just went outside to get the paper(to respond to the thread about what the paper has above the fold today on the chat forum) and it was already hot and muggy.  But we may be getting some rain today so on can hope.  We really need the rain here since we are in a severe drought.

No drought here, but I could go for some rain. We got an evening thunderstorm yesterday and it cooled things off so nicely. Back to hot and yucky today.

• Like 3

I am ex.haust.ed.    It is now 7 pm and I just now got in the door after my ladies luncheon.  It was a nice time.  I worked very hard to be couth and to fit in with polite society.  There is one lady there that I just cannot seem to like and she cornered me and I gave her my phone number.  :scared: I feel guilty saying that because she's also very nice but she's a gusher and she tells me that my teens are "precious".  :ack2: I think this is a sign that I'm not so nice.

Another sign that I'm not so nice is that I had a run in with a neighbor this morning on the way to the luncheon.  I was driving out of my driveway and noticed her standing on her driveway watching one of her dogs poop (yet again) on my yard.  I stopped the car and called out the open window, "Will you please keep your dog off of my yard?"  She said "yes" and stood there doing nothing.  So I thought that maybe she couldn't hear me because of the distance so I said again, "Will you please keep your dog off of my yard?"  And she said "yes" and again did nothing.  So I said, "Now."  And she said "yes".  And I said "I'm not going to move until you get your dog."  And she rolled her eyes at me and got her dog.  Now I"m mad because I want to be neighborly and I feel like I've been forced into being the "itchy" neighbor even though I haven't done anything wrong and she was in the wrong.  Not once did she apologize or say that she would clean up after him, either. 

Jean:  I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but I think that you are lacking in compassion.  Clearly, the poor thing is befuddled and lost.  She probably misplaces things that belong to her, too.  Like her dog's poop.  I had neighbors like that once but, instead of being hostile and talking to them (once I realized what the problem was), I simply started returning their lost "property."  To their doorstep.  Amazingly enough, having their lost property returned seemed to have an amazing impact on their ability to track the whereabouts of their dogs.

(Perhaps it's just as well that I no longer live in suburbia.)

• Like 8

Jean: I'm sorry to be the one to say this, but I think that you are lacking in compassion. Clearly, the poor thing is befuddled and lost. She probably misplaces things that belong to her, too. Like her dog's poop. I had neighbors like that once but, instead of being hostile and talking to them (once I realized what the problem was), I simply started returning their lost "property." To their doorstep. Amazingly enough, having their lost property returned seemed to have an amazing impact on their ability to track the whereabouts of their dogs.

(Perhaps it's just as well that I no longer live in suburbia.)

You are an amazing person! And so good at the poopaerobics on so many levels!

• Like 5

So, I've been thinking about Critter's quote, because in the midst of juggling subjects, activities, kids, etc. the bigger picture can be forgotten.  The quote is both inspiring as well as convicting.  Am I providing chronic exposure to so much goodness?  So, anyone want to discuss in what way they're bringing love, values, beauty, truth, valor, honor, courage (etc.) into their homes?  I realize some of these are a natural by product of every day living, hopefully, (so feel free to include those examples too!) and some may be more deliberately planned (such - n - such book which models or demonstrates certain traits).  Feel free to share examples of either kind.  

Here's the quote again:  

On homeschooling being protective:  The protective part isn't the sheltering (although that can be a comfort at times). The protective part is the chronic exposure to love, values, beauty, truth and valor. That's internal shielding, and a weapon against darkness of all shapes and sizes. ~Critter fixer

• Like 7

Good Morning all!

Happy Birthday, Ikslo! Hope your day is delightful !

So, this is the conversation I had with myself at 5:45am.

"You're awake. Get up and go walking !"

"I don't want to!"

"You need to! You haven't been walking in a month!"

"I'll go this evening!"

"No you won't. That's what you said yesterday and it was too hot"

"I just want to lay here and drift in and out of consciousness for the next half hour."

"No you don't. You always have crazy dreams when you do that. Besides, you always feel good after exercising! So just do it!"

"Ok, fine!"

It's 3 o'clock in the morning. Do you know why your old dog is barking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because if he's awake, you should be, too!

I don't like baseball so it is always a trial for me to go to the game. My dd actually doesn't like it either.  Her husband's family are fans   Though her husband not actually so much.  My family prefers more active sports like soccer, hockey and football.

I like baseball games. There's a minor league team in Fresno that we go to at least once a summer. We should have gone last night, it was the Taco Truck Throw-down! Good eats! I love the whole "Ball Game Experience!". And they always have fireworks at the end!
  • Like 7

No drought here, but I could go for some rain. We got an evening thunderstorm yesterday and it cooled things off so nicely. Back to hot and yucky today.

We are getting some rain here, nice, fairly gentle rain.  Weather forecast for today was severe storms.  These are all supposed to go away by tomorrow.  I'd wish they'd stay a while -- the air is nicely rain-cooled and has no dust or allergens in it at the moment.  Everything has been pretty much bone-dry since the massive storms and flooding of April & May.  We can use the wet.

• Like 3

It turns out that I will have to wash both the crate and the dog today because he was incontinent. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:  for Jeannie and doggie.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm home from dumping my kids at Grandma's house, have stopped at Home Depot and the grocery store, and have caught up on the thread.

Time to turn on more lights, file some papers, retrieve the recycle bin (Hi, recycling guys!  Stay safe!), and start thinking through all of the stuff I need to plan and list.

And get some lunch.  Yesterday since I was out and about so much I decided to eat Indian food for lunch.  I went to a place with a buffet so I'd have no leftovers I'd be tempted to take home.  Nummmmm...............

• Like 2

My children are doomed. I live in one of the most critical, sarcastic, uncompassionate families, which is not how I was trying to bring them up. Nothing I do or say stems the tide. Forget truth and honor, or anything else good. 

• Like 2

En Vogue-style:

This right here is the Critter way

Before you can leave them you gotta know how to teach them, she said:

Love your kids and the rest will follow

With such a shield, no sea can swallow

Love your kids and the rest will follow

With such a shield, no sea can swallow

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 9

With a bit of trepidation I asked dd last night if she wanted to go to public school for high school because, as I explained, once we start homeschool high school, we have to continue homeschool high school for at least two years.  She is hyper social, hence my trepidation because I'm not really sure that fulfilling her social needs at public school is the best for her.  (She spends hours a day with public school kids anyway so it isn't like I'm sheltering her from that but it's a different environment there.)  Her answer was that she still wants to homeschool and then look at dual enrollment because she's afraid that she's behind in math.  I told her that while she isn't at the top of her class in math (so to speak), she isn't at the bottom either.  But. . . most kids in our school district have had algebra in 8th grade and she will be taking it in 9th grade (simply because she wasn't ready before then.)  But they do offer Algebra 1 in 9th grade too.

• Like 5

My children are doomed. I live in one of the most critical, sarcastic, uncompassionate families, which is not how I was trying to bring them up. Nothing I do or say stems the tide. Forget truth and honor, or anything else good. 

I don't know about that. Let's see--I saw your DD helping build that patio. There was rescue of a really cool snake, and didn't y'all just take a wallet back to someone who lost it? There's your truth, honor and love.

It's not the big things. It's the little things, the simple things, and the REAL things, as Jean said.

• Like 6

I don't know about that. Let's see--I saw your DD helping build that patio. There was rescue of a really cool snake, and didn't y'all just take a wallet back to someone who lost it? There's your truth, honor and love.

It's not the big things. It's the little things, the simple things, and the REAL things, as Jean said.

I'm the one that wanted to take the wallet back. Dh and dd16 were saying too bad there was no money in it or they would have taken it (at least dd16, I'm not sure if dh would have actually taken the money). I felt like I was almost fighting with them about what was right if a lost wallet is found. I couldn't believe the logic that if it's lost, it's okay. I told them if they lose something it is still their property, regardless of where it ends up. They are always saying how I'm too honest, and I am teased all the time about it. I'm afraid Gymnast is coming up the same way. I sometimes just want to run away with Gymnast and start over. I can't believe I live with thieves and liars.

:grouphug: Renai. You modeled the virtue when it was hard for your DD to see the value in it. And there was value in it. Not just because it was honest, but didn't the guy give you and your DD a reward for it? That value of honestly now might make more sense to her.

• Like 7

I'm not always great at modeling love. I still fight my own expectations when it comes to others. And I really don't give enough hugs or praise when it would be appreciated. I work at it, but it's just something I will never be all that great shakes at, you know? But I do work at it. That's just one of those things that I have to do to the best of my ability and hope that my boys are a quicker study than their mum.

• Like 5

I just ordered 3 PACES for dd16 for English II. I'm hoping it will be a get-er-done type thing for her. She needs to finish grade 10.5. Last night, she wanted to get on the Kindle, and I thought she was going to do school work. She was playing with a computer programming app. There's nothing wrong with that in itself, but the fact she has yet to complete her core classes for grade 10 is a problem. When I told her she should work on something that would help her complete her classes, she put the kindle away and started to watch the tv program we watch as a family. She never did do any school work.

She complained that she worked all day and shouldn't have to do school. I told her that was the reality of every student who works AND does school. Work does not mean school is just skipped. When she does dual enrollment, they are electives, she still has math, English, science, and history to complete. I don't know how much impact that will have on her. I hope she doesn't become a high school drop out.

• Like 1