Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I'm back from doing all the shopping. Remind me to stop letting my freezer/fridge/pantry get almost totally emnpty before going shopping. It is expensive and tiring. I never let it get to where there isn't something available like sandwiches or cereal (except when we move). Yeah- 1 corn dog and a frozen banana in the freezer is still pretty empty.

EdPo: (probably should go make this a thread, but I'm afraid of the shame balls because it is so lame.

I'm not happy about our line-up. I think it is too light. School for a ASD 15 (more like 11), 14, and 11 year old should take longer than an hour, right? They cruise through but I don't think they are actually learning anything.

Math: Saxon 76 and 54; Grammar: Hake 5 and 4; Spell/Vocab: WW 6-7 and R&S Spell 4/WW4; Lit: read aloud The Hobbit for now; Sci: RSO Chem 1; and read at least 1 chap from their own book of choice

Scotsman did the 2nd RSO Chem lab Sunday afternoon. It was a big one with lots of pouring and mixing and foaming. ASD Boy threw a gasket because "School shouldn't happen on Sunday!" and refused to attend.

As I said: pretty lame, I know. 

And 4 days until Son 2 leaves the nest!

33 minutes ago, maize said:

Does not sound lame to me.

I know we have somr super academic families on the board, but...I remember my own school days and the actual engaged learning that happened on an average day was minimal. 

At least you are doing schoolwork. I'm still trying to pull myself together to start planning.

I agree - not lame.  Maybe it's getting done quickly because you just started and everything's still in the intro phase.  Stick with it longer.  If it still feels light 3 or 4 weeks from now, add on - maybe an additional content area, or additional research and writing in existing content area.  You'll figure it out.  

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ds14 told me a while ago that he was worried that he wouldn't be able to finish Fahrenheit 451 by his Thursday literature class.  I asked him how much time he spent reading today, and then how much time he spent playing Magic: The Gathering with his sister and rewatching Endgame.  I could see the lightbulb go off in his head.  :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Could you come to my house?  Please?  

Actually I thought it was pretty funny because Fahrenheit 451 is on my 14yo ds's list (but later in the year).  And playing Magic: The Gathering is a common interest here, as well as Marvel movies.  I think they'd have a great time together!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I'm back from doing all the shopping. Remind me to stop letting my freezer/fridge/pantry get almost totally emnpty before going shopping. It is expensive and tiring. I never let it get to where there isn't something available like sandwiches or cereal (except when we move). Yeah- 1 corn dog and a frozen banana in the freezer is still pretty empty.

EdPo: (probably should go make this a thread, but I'm afraid of the shame balls because it is so lame.

I'm not happy about our line-up. I think it is too light. School for a ASD 15 (more like 11), 14, and 11 year old should take longer than an hour, right? They cruise through but I don't think they are actually learning anything.

Math: Saxon 76 and 54; Grammar: Hake 5 and 4; Spell/Vocab: WW 6-7 and R&S Spell 4/WW4; Lit: read aloud The Hobbit for now; Sci: RSO Chem 1; and read at least 1 chap from their own book of choice

Scotsman did the 2nd RSO Chem lab Sunday afternoon. It was a big one with lots of pouring and mixing and foaming. ASD Boy threw a gasket because "School shouldn't happen on Sunday!" and refused to attend.

(((Paradox)))

We had a couple of really light, falling behind kind of years because of my health problems.  Your schedule does look a little bit light to me, but if you need to do a light year because of your family logistics, then do so and don't feel bad about it.  I am noticing that you don't have any history listed.  Also, your math (especially for your 14 year old) *might* be too easy.  I don't really know anything about your other curriculum choices, as we haven't used them.

I just updated my signature so that you can see what my kids are doing.  (I needed to update it anyway. We haven't rolled out everything yet; we'll probably start full force in September.)  I also updated the kids' ages.  Everyone except dd11 has a late summer birthday.  Some of them have had them already.  I just aged everyone up all at once.

My kids closest to your kids' ages:

Dd11 spends about an hour a day on "school" (when she cooperates -- she is Very Eleven), but she probably does at least an hour a day on independent learning.  She reads a lot of nonfiction on her own. 

Dd15 does her school work almost completely independently, so I'm not sure how long it takes her.  I'm guessing about one to two hours a day, not including literature, flute, and sewing.

Edit: I wrote all of this to try to help you, not to shame you.  We can help you on the ITT.  No need to start a new thread out in The Sea. 😉

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

So that second sleep I had this morning?

Somehow DS12 lost his glasses during it.  We've upturned the whole house AND backyard. Grilled every witness. Followed every lead. Dinnertime conversation was a replay of The Magic Loogie, Reconstructed. (Points for reference identification).

But they are gone.  (Like a fart in the wind, DH rather indelicately says. Double points for that one.) 

I am quitting second sleeps cold-turkey. Someone has to be in charge around here at all times, and apparently it's me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Tuesday!

I awoke at 4, got up at 4:45, worked on fall term memory binders until 7, showered and fed kids, then had a second sleep (while the kids were all happily and cooperatively producing a play on the deck).  

I never get a second sleep.  Especially until 11 am.  And play-production is always the opposite of cooperative.  

Weird day.

11 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Somehow DS12 lost his glasses during it.  We've upturned the whole house AND backyard. Grilled every witness. Followed every lead. Dinnertime conversation was a replay of The Magic Loogie, Reconstructed. (Points for reference identification).

But they are gone.  (Like a fart in the wind, DH rather indelicately says. Double points for that one.) 

I am quitting second sleeps cold-turkey. Someone has to be in charge around here at all times, and apparently it's me. 

Did his glasses fall off the deck?  Are they in his glasses case?  In the refrigerator?

Does he often take his glasses off?  My kids (especially the little ones can't see much without their glasses, so they only take them off for showers and bed.)

Offer a doughnut to whichever duckling finds them first.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Summer all of a sudden feels so close to the end.  Schools here don't start until after Labor Day so later than many other places, but it still feels so close.  And I still have SOOOOO much to do.  So many things I didn't get to this summer.  And I only have one week off from now until the first week of November.   And weekends which I guess count.  

• Like 5

I'm starting a new 4-H club with a friend who needs leader training.  I started notifying the office in June.  Then spoke to people at Fair.  And was told we could start advertising, set up an informational meeting, etc. before her training.

Then this week I suddenly get an email that we CAN'T use the 4-H name or collect money or do anything until our paperwork is in, which can't be done without a second leader.  Now dh can serve as temporary second leader, and I have a friend that also offered to serve temporarily so we took care of that.  But the one piece of paperwork you have to have 5 members and a name before you file it.  How are you supposed to get 5 members before you can use the 4-H name?  That makes no sense.  And we have an info meeting next week so this needs to be figured out.

The person who runs our local office is going on maternity leave soon so that adds to the urgency.  

• Like 6

I'm hosting (at my science center but not really my event) a homeschool meet-up this afternoon for new homeschoolers to get the chance to talk to experienced homeschoolers (I'm working very hard not to call us "old").   We had about 7 people show up to the one we did last week.  When I did a poll about 1/2 could do each day so I just set up two.  

So camp from 9 to 2pm, meet-up from 2-4pm, tutoring from 5-6pm.   Long day.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My son, who generally hates sad endings, really liked Fahrenheit 451.  To the point he read it twice.  The second time voluntarily.   I've read it semi-recently and I guess the ending is more undefined than sad but I was still surprised he liked it.   He also liked the Hunger Games.   So I guess super sad the entire book isn't a problem as long as the ending is at least vaguely good. 

• Like 6

I keep posting because I keep thinking of things I haven't posted.  I'm missing hanging out here this week.  I just haven't had much time.  And I really should stop typing and finish my tea so I can get ready for my day before I wind up running late.   I have to vacuum before camp today.  We made a super duper mess yesterday.

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: missing the ITT booya.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've been having the kids eat lunch in the "break" room, which is a carpeted room with a table, lego wall, board games, bean bag chairs, etc.   But that means I have two rooms that get super duper messy instead of just one.   I think Thursday and Friday I can have them eat in the classroom since I'll have less kids and should be able to set up an extra table for them to eat at.   They can't eat at the tables we're using for activities because I spend the first 10 minutes of each break just cleaning up. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Doesn't seem too light to me.    My kids only take about an hour unless there's something really unusual.

Ds is about to turn 14 and ASD.  Dd just turned 12 and has adhd and anxiety.

Ds - MUS Algebra, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Literature (we're going to start with A Wrinkle In Time) and I may have him work for an anthology like Mosdos or Norton, Writing will I think be Beyond the Book Report.  

Dd - Mastering Essential Math Skills and watching a Great Course Plus on Fundamentals of Math, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Literature-doing the main book with her brother and maybe Mosdos, Writing - Write On! and maybe some Evan Moor stuff.

Both take at least one science class that I teach, History is answering questions from the encyclopedias (Usborne and Kingfisher) and putting events on our time line, watching Great Courses Plus.  

• Like 3

Toto is busy! 

I am tired. Day two of waking up and not feeling good. Not that I ever feel good in the morning, but the last two days have been bad. Heat is supposed to be better today, I hear, but I don't think I believe it.

Today I'm going to write, but there will be some planning today that goes with school. I may not start full schedule until Labor Day actually, although I will add in some new things next week.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

Good morning!

I am leaving for The Magical Organic Store (dd13's name for Whole Foods), the bank, and Aldi in a few minutes.  The Kids will be left to do their lessons on their own.  You all have fast working kids.  Mine take hours to get their lessons done - the older two are typically working 3+ hours in the morning and 2+ hours in the afternoon (including an hour of instrument practice).  Younger two take a little less.

Coffee!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

Hot!!!!☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Another Busy day!!!!  Lots of work stuff, I’m meeting another family this afternoon, Awana committee meeting tonight. 😩😩😩😩

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A late good morning.  I slept in until 7am.  Which I guess threw off one of the dc because now that person has been butt all morning.  One sibling is tracking the same direction - the one who is offended when I walk through the room he occupies.  🙄  I need JJM's bazooka arsenal today.  🙄  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I haven't timed my two recently. They get through Latin and Math in about two hours, or a little less now. Algebra is hard, yo. So is translation work. But when I add on writing, literature, French, history and science, I expect they'll be working two to four hours in the morning, and two or three in the afternoon. They don't start school at the same time. One of them writes creatively in the morning after he works in his garden. It takes him that time to wake up and be ready for math. The other races through chores, and then has his coffee and breakfast while working on his Algebra. Different minds and different schedules. 

• Like 6

Someone from Oregon called me and didn't leave a message. I'm afraid it was my mom. It's been over a year so I'm due for a good screaming session. Gug. I'm going to dig out the church directory later and compare it to the number. I'm hoping someone needs their printer connected.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I am leaving for The Magical Organic Store (dd13's name for Whole Foods), the bank, and Aldi in a few minutes.  The Kids will be left to do their lessons on their own.  You all have fast working kids.  Mine take hours to get their lessons done - the older two are typically working 3+ hours in the morning and 2+ hours in the afternoon (including an hour of instrument practice).  Younger two take a little less.

Coffee!

That's here, too. Even if there's only one little thing to be done, it'll get dragged out for the entire day. I kept hoping that I would teach my child organizational skills during her years at home. Nope. I 'spect imma throw her to the wolves next year in the sink or swim world of college. 😳

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

A late good morning.  I slept in until 7am.  Which I guess threw off one of the dc because now that person has been butt all morning.  One sibling is tracking the same direction - the one who is offended when I walk through the room he occupies.  🙄  I need JJM's bazooka arsenal today.  🙄  

👍 (Totally random, not-at-all-related question: Do you think ammunition is one of those things that the post office wants you to declare when they give you their little pre-posting spiel? And what are the consequences should one...forget something? Asking for a friend.)

Although, I suspect someone who rolled his eyes at me for daring to inhabit space in MY HOUSE would get to drop and give me fifty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So- I have a weird problem. For many years I have only been able to tolerate sleeping on one side. It’s not a habit thing (well it probably includes habit now) but is primarily a pain thing. Lying on the other side or on my back or tummy causes mucho pain. But by morning lying on that one side has me in a lot of pain. And the other side has massive cramps. 

I found out that when you lie on one side that side gets toned in a way that the other side doesn’t. And it helps to set up muscle imbalances that increase with time. So I am forcing myself to lie on the bad side for even ten minutes at a time. It is working some. I am not ready to scream after one minute now. 

Random sharing on the Internet. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Junie said:

Did his glasses fall off the deck?  Are they in his glasses case?  In the refrigerator?

Does he often take his glasses off?  My kids (especially the little ones can't see much without their glasses, so they only take them off for showers and bed.)

Offer a doughnut to whichever duckling finds them first.  

Doughnuts.....Brilliant! 

He’s responsible-but-absentminded so those are great suggestions.  I did clean the fridge out, but no glasses. DH scoured deck and yard beneath, but we will try again in better light today. The downside of his improving vision in recent years is that he can forget he needs them for a while before he notices his tired eyes. Far as we can tell, he took them off because they were falling off during a sweaty game of tag.  Where they went from there is the question. He was “it” so most witnesses recall him giving them to someone else to put inside... but nobody remembers who that was.  At least we are 99% certain they are on our property. 

• Like 8

Happy Wednesday!

Using the missing glasses as motivation to deep clean the house and garage today. Maybe the van too, since perhaps they have gone the way of wandering high priests. 

I also need to sauce two weeks’ worth of tomatoes, for freezing, plus roast a tray of those red wine cherry tomatoes for crostinis, because that can be our lunch. 

Dinner should involve yellow wax beans. Hmmmm....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Did you check under the sofa cushions?

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Angi, you have a really old thread that has come back to life.  I was wondering why you didn't ask Renai and Slache about teaching Spanish...  It was 3 years ago!!

I saw that too! I almost answered, then saw it was old.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Someone from Oregon called me and didn't leave a message. I'm afraid it was my mom. It's been over a year so I'm due for a good screaming session. Gug. I'm going to dig out the church directory later and compare it to the number. I'm hoping someone needs their printer connected.

Answer in an old creaky voice. If the other voice sounds like mom, say "Sorry, wrong number" in a heavily, non-specific accent, then hang up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So- I have a weird problem. For many years I have only been able to tolerate sleeping on one side. It’s not a habit thing (well it probably includes habit now) but is primarily a pain thing. Lying on the other side or on my back or tummy causes mucho pain. But by morning lying on that one side has me in a lot of pain. And the other side has massive cramps. 

I found out that when you lie on one side that side gets toned in a way that the other side doesn’t. And it helps to set up muscle imbalances that increase with time. So I am forcing myself to lie on the bad side for even ten minutes at a time. It is working some. I am not ready to scream after one minute now. 

Random sharing on the Internet. 

That is very interesting!  Way to batter that body into shape!  :sad:  (((Jean)))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BTW - most of what has actually helped my body has not come from allopathic doctors.  Some has come from my naturopathic doctor.  But most has come from combing the internet - not for weird woo-woo stuff but various body mechanic, exercise physiology and scientific sites which often have some little sentence that gives me a glimmer of what to search for in more depth and thus get actual helpful information. 

• Like 5

For example, reading " Beyond just having a dominant side, certain lifestyle habits, such as sleeping on one side of your body consistently, crossing your legs the same way every day, or always carrying your tote bag on one side, can lead to imbalances on your right and left side over time. " in this article (https://www.self.com/story/muscle-imbalances

) helped me look for more information on the sleeping on one side thing.  The rest of the article was stuff I already knew. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Renai said:

Did you check under the sofa cushions?

Yup.  I'm afraid they will be found when they want to be found, and not a moment sooner.  I even cleared the kitchen counters so I could check behind every appliance. And on top of the fridge. 

Thankfully, my old reading glasses are giving him some assistance for reading.  If we can, I'll try putting off getting new ones for a week or so. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Yup.  I'm afraid they will be found when they want to be found, and not a moment sooner.  I even cleared the kitchen counters so I could check behind every appliance. And on top of the fridge. 

Thankfully, my old reading glasses are giving him some assistance for reading.  If we can, I'll try putting off getting new ones for a week or so. 

Have you checked all the duckling hiding spots?  You said that they were playing hide and seek?  Or was it tag? 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you checked all the duckling hiding spots?  You said that they were playing hide and seek?  Or was it tag? 

Well, it was tag, but only on the deck.  (Apparently "it" must remain frozen to a spot and only use hands to tag passersby.) And then they practiced their play on the deck, for hours while I slept.  We've been through all the costumes and props many times, but certainly it's possible someone slipped them into a pocket we haven't thought of yet (I'm looking at you, Five-Year-Old).    

I did go through all of the day's trash and recycling.  And the van has been checked once already too.  DH checked the boys' bedroom and he's usually pretty thorough, but I think I'm going pull the bed and trundle away from the wall just in case he didn't.  

• Like 4

Lesson 1 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 2 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 3 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 4 printed but I am still waiting for one part to come in from Amazon.  Please, I hope that it comes today! 

I have a new boys counselor!  (Will double up the other person in the cabin with him.  Middle school boys can always handle having more supervision.  😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Ducky, people who are in a hurry and want to play might set things down quickly on a shelf or other horizontal surface that's a good height for them--check bookcases and dresser tops. The fact that glasses are clear makes them so hard to spot!

I did some of the things. I'm looking at my plans for fall and asking how all this is actually going to get accomplished. The answer is that it's not. The interesting bit will be seeing what doesn't.

• Like 8

Lesson 5 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 6 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 7 printed but I still need a couple more items for the activity so holding off on packing it. 

Lesson 8 printed, checked over, activity materials checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 9 printed but I still need a couple more items for the activity so holding off on packing it.  Again - waiting for Amazon.  Since the tracking shows that it is one town over, I'm tempted to tell them that I will just drive and pick the dang thing up! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have the first month of Life Lessons 101 set for the turtles. This month will be called: It's Hard To Be Mom. Each boy will get one day per week of being responsible for his usual chores, his school work, the housekeeping for the day, and cooking the evening meal.

This novel idea brought to you by Mom who just got accused of "liking" cleaning and "hating leisure" because I put the television remotes away and wouldn't let the turtles put their shoes on top of the piano bench. Bwahahahaha!

It's just one day a week. I'm not completely evil.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3