Menu

Ignore this thread!

17 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Speaking of lady bits, can anyone tell me about tubal ligation? It's up for serious discussion around here.

I know it doesn't always work. :laugh:

I'm planning to have it done when I have another. I have C/S so it's less of a thing for me. Otherwise hubby would be getting his tubes tied.

• Haha 1

I had my tubes tied during my c-section with dd.   The recovery was basically the same as my previous c-section.  I assume recovery without being part of another surgery will be pretty different though.

ETA:  I was also already 39 years old so figured getting pregnant wouldn't be that easy anymore anyway.  

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yeah, DH has white coat syndrome and literally passes out at the sight of blood or needles. I really think I'm done having babies, so a permanent solution suits me fine. But not if it doesn't WORK!!! I will have to look into that.

Oh, I would be a swear word and make him do it if I weren't going under anyway. The risks and side effects are not the same for men and women. Personally, I should not have several more children because of my health and one concern is if something were to happen to me and he wanted to get married he should be able to have more. He's 33 so even after my death and a mourning period he could be very young. And after going under anyway. They're literally right there. 

I know 2 women who got their tubes tied, had another, got them tied again, had another and then the husbands got vasectomies. Both women have got to be in their 80s. I don't know anything about actual statistics. I shared my concern with my last doctor and he looked me in the eye and said you "If I tie your tubes you will never be pregnant again." 40 years is a very long time period in medical advancements. I assume that's what he was referencing.

• Like 1

Vasectomies do not work instantly because you have to get all the little squirmies out. I remember thinking it was a very long time before it took full effect! I would look into that now if there's any possibility of leaning that direction.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:25 PM, Paradox5 said:

Dh's work group loved the trifle. (And real trifle does not have brownies!) Really, I think trifle refers to any layered dessert that includes cake, cream, and fruit--like a parfait. "Everyone loves a parfait!" (Donkey)

I am breaking out in hives around and up my neck from the sun even with 70 SPF sunscreen. I am not amused. One more good reason to move to Scotland-- indoor pools!

The BJU Spelling I bought dd at HER request did not make it even partway through the first lesson! She fussed and whined and threw a fit because I wouldn't just let her speed through filling in the workbook but was actually trying to teach her the lesson. Fine, Missy! Back to AAS we go! Good thing she hadn't written in the wkbk so I can return it and good thing Randy didn't buy my AAS stuff yesterday when I sold him some other used books.

And now all the kids have asked for a vocabulary program. I cannot decide if doing roots-based ala Critical Thinking Word Roots or Wordly Wise 3000 is the way to go. DD says she has trouble understanding the meaning of the words she reads. I'm heading over to the K-8 board to start a thread.

If you’re sticking with AAS, I have books 4-6 I can send you.  My sister has 1-3 but she’s dropped it for her natural spellers.

I spent way too much time on the computer today - registering for an online thing and then finishing the Muppets Medley and making viola parts for the new fiddle tunes.  But they are done - all edited and parts printed out. 

I am trying to find a place in the yard where my lavender can get 6 hours of sun and I've about given up.  5 is the best I can do without moving the giant pot around every day.  

The kids should be landing in FL about now.

More Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

WARNING: EDPO!

I have decided to torture my kids with summer math.  Primarily the older two, but the younger two will also have some.

MwuaaaHaHaaaaaaa!

If they complain, you can threaten to send them to Aunt Junie's house for Year Round School.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Junie said:

If they complain, you can threaten to send them to Aunt Junie's house for Year Round School.

Oh, and math at my house is All Saxon.  That seems to be really scary to a lot of homeschoolers, too.  I have everything from 5/4 up to Advanced Mathematics.  Something For Everyone!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've been trying to pull myself together to plan for our upcoming school year. If I do come up with some plans anytime soon can I post them here for you guys to look at? I get tired of all the talking to myself inside my head about stuff and I have too many kids to want to post on all the separate grade level planning threads...

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

What do you use for K-3rd then? BJU Math is hard for me to swallow.

We used Abeka.

ETA:  I'm guessing that the Christian content is the problem?  I just looked at samples of BJU Math.  It seems that they include a lot more Christian content in their content subjects than what Abeka does.  Abeka has some, but it seems like it isn't as blatant as BJU.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, maize said:

I've been trying to pull myself together to plan for our upcoming school year. If I do come up with some plans anytime soon can I post them here for you guys to look at? I get tired of all the talking to myself inside my head about stuff and I have too many kids to want to post on all the separate grade level planning threads...

Yes!  Homeschool planning is our speciality!  😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Must go looking now...

Primary

Intellectual

So much love. Seriously. It's beautiful. According to the product description primary is for first and second and intellectual is for third and fourth but we did Primary in kindergarten and intellectual in first grade. Both are oral and we switched to Strayer Upton after that. I think my first grader had a better understanding of math than most 3rd graders. Math is not his specialty! Things are just laid out very simply and clearly and he got them. He was applying fractions to our hikes and could do mental math that would make a middle schooler blush. Now I'm having a hard time finding a program that suits him well because he struggles, but those early concepts that you need as a foundation he has an incredibly firm grasp on because of that program.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

In the math and english, it is tolerable religious content. What bothers us is the approach to the fact families. It drove mine batty with all the "tricks". They prefered to just be told 3+4=7, memorize it, and move on. I thought ABeka was called the colorful R&S? Doesn;t it have loads of drill? I also have never been able to figure out all the books and bits I would need. 

Oh, well, I sort of skipped all of those parts.  I didn't even buy the teacher's manual.  Just the workbooks k-3 (x6).

I used it because I was familiar with it (I taught in a Christian school before kids) and I liked that it was more colorful than a lot of other options.  When I started I was clueless that there were different "approaches" to math.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

WARNING: EDPO!

I have decided to torture my kids with summer math.  Primarily the older two, but the younger two will also have some.

MwuaaaHaHaaaaaaa!

We are all doing math this summer. Both CLE and Khan Academy.  

• Like 4

Ok, I need an honest answer, people. 

EdPo:

I’m having trouble with history. I’m just homeschooling younger DDs this fall, 5th and 3rd grade. I’m going to do California history, but my curriculum is only about a semester long, if that, and I really do not want to try to drag it out. I am thinking about going back and doing SOTW 1 with the girls. I did it with them 3 years ago, and just didn’t feel like I did it justice. I like that book a lot and I think there’s a lot we can do, now that it’s only me and the girls at home. Do you think that would be a bad thing?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I've seen those and don't care. :laugh:

I like the simplicity of the original series. 

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, I need an honest answer, people. 

EdPo:

I’m having trouble with history. I’m just homeschooling younger DDs this fall, 5th and 3rd grade. I’m going to do California history, but my curriculum is only about a semester long, if that, and I really do not want to try to drag it out. I am thinking about going back and doing SOTW 1 with the girls. I did it with them 3 years ago, and just didn’t feel like I did it justice. I like that book a lot and I think there’s a lot we can do, now that it’s only me and the girls at home. Do you think that would be a bad thing?

No. Do it.

• Like 4

I’m afraid that I don’t like Saxon. Or really anything too textbooky for kids under fifth grade. I like Singapore math even though it didn’t work for dd (though I think that it could have if she hadn’t set her mind against it). I did a lot of my own stuff with her. As well as actually teaching using Kahn Academy. 

• Like 7

Tonight I have some sad news.  Dd came to get me at bedtime to tell me that Cinnamon was not moving.  I had to take some of the cage apart to get at her but she is definitely dead and stiff as a board.  There is not a mark on her and she showed absolutely no signs of illness earlier today so we don't know what happened.  Rusty is his usual self so we don't think that it was environmental.  Maybe a heart attack? 

• Sad 11