Menu

Ignore this thread!

I'm going to take a break from writing and go to the lake for the afternoon. Making good progress, but it's a lovely day, and I have a couple of things I can do that are handwritten things, so I'll do those instead of sit in front of the laptop all day. I am almost at 4000 words today already. That's good enough for now. I can type in things this evening.

• Like 6

The Myrtle Beach thread is making me sad.  Myrtle Beach was my parents' vacation spot and we never got to go with them.  I'm glad the OP of that thread has decided to go.  

My parents invited us (mostly the kids) a few times, but the timing never seemed to work out with baseball and camp and...  I kinda wish we could get a do-over.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, whitehawk said:

(((Maize and Mr. Maize)))

So 15 days until braces & it's time for DS to eat all the sticky and chewy things while he can, so I gave him a bag of Skittles as a reward for doing well in OT today. He has had very little food coloring since he was 4, but I figured he's now twice that size and has probably outgrown any issues with it.

Nope. Vision issues and headache. He's on the couch with the lights off. I gave him what we had left of kids' ibuprofen--need to buy more.

So much for first day of summer session.

Update: He says he feels better & we're going to try again.

That reminds me of the first (and only) time dd16 had Fruitloops.  She was maybe 7 or 8yo and within a half hour she had completely lost the ability to focus on anything.  She was moving her head all around, Ray Charles style, trying to find a way to get her eyes to land on her math book.  It was terrifying.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Fiddle Camp 2 was good this morning.  I only observed the end-of-camp jam session, but dd10 was holding her own with the tunes, and when she didn't know the song or it was going too fast, she would play rhythm chops. Dd16 seemed pretty happy.  There's a good mix of instruments - 4 "fiddles", and about 2 each of banjos, mandolins, guitars, and basses.

I gotta make tzatziki sauce.

• Like 6

It's raining inside my living room.

15 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I peed when I sneezed. This has never happened to me before. I'm simultaneously fascinated and horrified. I mean, I know I'm pregnant, and it's my fifth, so I guess it's to be expected, but...I'm not okay with this!

I never did this but I had to stand in the tub when I threw up because I often peed when I threw up.

• Sad 4

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Fiddle Camp 2 was good this morning.  I only observed the end-of-camp jam session, but dd10 was holding her own with the tunes, and when she didn't know the song or it was going too fast, she would play rhythm chops. Dd16 seemed pretty happy.  There's a good mix of instruments - 4 "fiddles", and about 2 each of banjos, mandolins, guitars, and basses.

I gotta make tzatziki sauce.

I took a Celtic music ensemble class one semester in college, playing viola. The director hadn't had a viola before so it was up to me to figure out what to do.

It was fun, a nice introduction to Celtic fiddling.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

How hard is it raining in your living room?

Not terribly at all, but seriously people. Come fix it. 2 spots, very slow dripping. Other neighbors have the same problem. I think they took the emergency system down so they have time to deal with the flash flooding.

• Like 2

I am back from the lake. I wish to report that having dinner cooked prior to leaving for the lake is a very good deal. DH is always leaving to work on the bridge across the creek and he's not ready to eat until six or later. So when I got home at five, I had time to reheat things, and fix some vegetables to go with. 

But now I'm pretty tired, and wondering if I can get my last 1000 words in. I can, but it feels harder when I'm tired and fried. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Go to Starbucks on the way. 

I don't like Starbucks.  I don't drink coffee of any kind and there tea is just blech.   Dunkin vanilla chai tea or Panera chai tea latte are my go-tos.  But I had my tea this morning.  Ran to the store, took too long, had to rush the kids when I got home and got to the lake 5 minutes late.  But it was okay, nobody else arrived for at least 10 minutes after we got there.   We stayed until 4:30, then I had to drive the kids home super quick and get to the science center by 5 for tutoring.

I'm tired now.   I just want some ice cream, a book and early bedtime.  But we don't have any ice cream and I don't want to change out of my pjs to go get any.

• Like 5

I'm soaking in an Epsom salt bath because my feet still hurt from Disney and I don't know what to do.

Eta: Have hurt since Disney, not because of it. I admit walking that much was extreme, but it's not like normal people cry on day two or still hurt 3 months later.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I'm soaking in an Epsom salt bath because my feet still hurt from Disney and I don't know what to do.

Eta: Have hurt since Disney, not because of it. I admit walking that much was extreme, but it's not like normal people cry on day two or still hurt 3 months later.

What do you think is hurting?  Nerves, muscle, bones?  Is it both your feet hurting in the same way?  Have you been to The Good Feet Store?  Just kidding.  Mostly.  

I fell down the stairs a year or two ago and bruised my shin really badly and it was still hurting 4 months later.  Of course I don't walk on my shins so it didn't cause any real problems.  But those kinds of bruises can take a long time to heal.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What do you think is hurting?  Nerves, muscle, bones?  Is it both your feet hurting in the same way?  Have you been to The Good Feet Store?  Just kidding.  Mostly.  

I fell down the stairs a year or two ago and bruised my shin really badly and it was still hurting 4 months later.  Of course I don't walk on my shins so it didn't cause any real problems.  But those kinds of bruises can take a long time to heal.

I don't know. Every part that touches the ground of both of my feet hurt like I walked too much. At first (first week?) I was frequently in tears but that's not uncommon. The weird thing is that it hasn't gone away. This has never happened before. Whenever I did 5K training or something they hurt more than other people's, but I'd take a few weeks off and I was good. Since moving here I got the flu so I was down and took a physical/mental break so I was down and I never established a good workout routine because of our wonky schedule so I've really been a princess regarding activity since we got here. They should be better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't know. Every part that touches the ground of both of my feet hurt like I walked too much. At first (first week?) I was frequently in tears but that's not uncommon. The weird thing is that it hasn't gone away. This has never happened before. Whenever I did 5K training or something they hurt more than other people's, but I'd take a few weeks off and I was good. Since moving here I got the flu so I was down and took a physical/mental break so I was down and I never established a good workout routine because of our wonky schedule so I've really been a princess regarding activity since we got here. They should be better.

How old are your shoes? 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Slache said:

They came. They saw. They left. They're calling the roofer.

Or in the words of Caesar, "Vini, Vidi, Vici!"

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Hi!! I’m back. Had a good training. My family came back from rafting, All had a good time. One of the boats tipped over, but not the one they were in. No cows ate my children last night. The brush fire was put out.  All is well.

Yay for a successful training, rafting and homecoming!

(((Slache's feet))) --->  That's definitely virtual!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I need to make a to-do list so that I might actually get something done today.

Slache, do your feet hurt all the time, or just when you're standing/walking?  Does ice help?

Is it possibly plantar fasciitis?

• Like 5

Good morning!

My two international travelers are coming home tonight.  Their wifi access is spotty so we might not hear from anyone for a while.  I'm praying they haven't lost their passports and can get their boarding passes without any issues.  There are travel professionals with them so I'm not terribly worried.

More fiddle camp today.  We were surprised that an old friend was at camp yesterday and her mom offered to give the girls a ride today, so I get 5 extra hours today!  Imma see what I can knock off my list.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Morning.  Dh woke me up before he left this morning, so way too early.  But he made me tea and an omelette so I have to forgive him.   He's going to be at his mom's until Friday, working from home down there so he wanted to say good-bye but he also needed to pack up his c-pap machine and there's no way he could do that without waking me up.

I'm heading over to the science center as soon as I'm done with my second cup of tea.  Cleaning, organizing, tutoring at 11am, then more cleaning and organizing, home for dinner, drop dd at tkd, go to my Tech Tuesday, pick dd up from tkd, early to bed since I may have camp tomorrow and need to be there around 8am.  

Also this week, more lake days, laundry so I can pack for vacation next week, some straightening up, lists of what to pack.

• Like 5

Good morning! We both slept through our alarms! I woke up at 6 instead of 4:30.

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How old are your shoes? 

They were new when we moved and still fairly new because I'm barefoot all day.

51 minutes ago, Junie said:

Slache, do your feet hurt all the time, or just when you're standing/walking?  Does ice help?

Is it possibly plantar fasciitis?

All the time. Yes.

I don't think so because the pain is all across my footpad too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

All the time. Yes.

I think plantar fasciitis causes pain across the entire bottom of the foot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

All the time. Yes.

Ack!  Don't do that!  Wear your shoes 24/7.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

All the time. Yes.

Were you wearing them at Disney?  It might sound goofy, but I might take a visit to the good feet store just to see if they have anything that relieves the pain.  All-the-time hurting sounds serious.  

• Like 2

Our visit with dh's brother yesterday went as well as could be expected. The hospice nurse doesn't think he will outlast the week 😞

My youngest nephew's eyes lit up when he saw the Lego kit I brought so that at least was a good choice.

This is so hard. And just not the way anyone expects their life to go.

My sister in law and the kids have a lot of support from family and from their church community, I am so grateful they at least have that. Someone from church was over mowing their lawn when I was there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

On a more positive note, Dh and I met with a psychiatrist yesterday who is starting a new TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) clinic. TMS is being increasingly used for treatment resistant depression with positive outcomes for many. The psychiatrist thinks Dh would be a good candidate. Prayers that we can get insurance approval would be welcome! Dh has been fighting this disease for so many years.

• Like 10

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!! 

I can’t go anywhere today because my car is jacked up. And not in a literal sense. DH noticed the problem coming down the mountain yesterday with the gears doing weird things. He called the place, but they can’t take it until tomorrow. I guess it’s a good thing I have no place to go today.

Slashie, I agree with the others, I think you have plantar fasciitis. I had it before and it’s butt. What helps, though, is shoes with good arch support. I bought a pair of flip flops from Vionics    and wore them all summer and it took care of the problem. Going bare-foot is NOT a good idea.  https://www.vionicshoes.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZoLjC4mntDGDwqfsthRAv9CU7oeoWThE3hTeJ9mAB96GUrq7_YEy24aAhsKEALw_wcB

Edited by KrissiK
Booya/h!!!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Junie said:

The description of the condition does not seem accurate but I will try the stretches and the icing and the other things the internet recommends to see if it makes a difference just in case.

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Ack!  Don't do that!  Wear your shoes 24/7.  

The more I wear shoes the more my back hurts. Blah! I've always gone barefoot with no ill effects but I am assuming I have some kind of injury. I'm going to look into buying a pair of my good shoes again to wear for a while.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

Matt's home between two jobs and might not see them tonight so they're doing water color. I'm going to get another Epsom salt bath and read.

I took me 20 minutes to get in here! Because children!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Junie said:

Like somebody took a red-hot needle to it. Mine was much worse along the inside part of my foot, but it was also one foot and not both.

Second the advice to wear shoes with good arch support. And if you just cant' stand your feet in shoes, I was able to wear my Birkenstocks in the house and that was okay. There are some arch-support sandals out there for those of us who can't stand our toes in shoes in the summer.

ETA: I've had it, my father has had it. It's a real pain in the...well, foot. Mine resolved with time, stretches, good arch support, and ice. Took roughly nine months. My father's did not resolve, and he had surgery, which has resolved it really well for him.  Both of us were running hard when we got our initial injury. He was training for a marathon, and I was training for a 10K at the time.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

The pain is dull but can get sharp when I'm too active and shoot up my legs.

I wore supportive shoes (Brooks) for years, switched to literally no support for my back and foot pain and the difference was phenomenal. I was nervous about Disney and got something with good arch support but a low heal (New balance), since the high heel is what hurt my back.

Both my back and feet prefer barefoot to either pair of shoes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I wore supportive shoes (Brooks) for years, switched to literally no support for my back and foot pain and the difference was phenomenal. I was nervous about Disney and got something with good arch support but a low heal (New balance), since the high heel is what hurt my back.

This is the oldest blog post by Katy Bowman. https://www.nutritiousmovement.com/womb-wound/ I am reading them from this point onward (ie. from oldest to newest).  Her exercises have helped me tremendously.   That, and magnesium. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wish good arch support prevented it. It didn't. I was in Mizunos (perfect arch for me) and my father was in Asics. So excellent shoes, and we were both careful about replacing shoes regularly. Honestly, I think it's a frequent use injury compounded by concussive force. We were both road runners. I ran on dirt, but it was packed dirt. Both of us are hardly petite runners, which didn't help any. But both of us did heal. I just was lucky in that I stopped running the moment I finished my race and started treating it, and that I hadn't been training so long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

It would radiate up the insides of my ankle when it was really bad. It would wake me up at night it would get so intense. And forget getting out of bed in the morning. Like walking across the floor and stepping on legos the whole way from the bed to the bathroom.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

It would radiate up the insides of my ankle when it was really bad. It would wake me up at night it would get so intense. And forget getting out of bed in the morning. Like walking across the floor and stepping on legos the whole way from the bed to the bathroom.

See, I am nowhere near this bad. My only complaint is that it's been this long.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I wish good arch support prevented it. It didn't. I was in Mizunos (perfect arch for me) and my father was in Asics. So excellent shoes, and we were both careful about replacing shoes regularly. Honestly, I think it's a frequent use injury compounded by concussive force. We were both road runners. I ran on dirt, but it was packed dirt. Both of us are hardly petite runners, which didn't help any. But both of us did heal. I just was lucky in that I stopped running the moment I finished my race and started treating it, and that I hadn't been training so long.

I love mizunos. I wear them all day every day. 

• Like 2