Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I think they should do Justice of the Peace and just have Matt do the ceremony, but they don't want to. It would be less than 1/3 the price.

That sounds like a "them" problem. How did it turn into a "ya'll" problem?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Ok. So. Does he really need to get certified with the state and the county? Do we even care what the county thinks? Because the state issues the license. I don't understand.

Update: No.

51 minutes ago, Renai said:

That sounds like a "them" problem. How did it turn into a "ya'll" problem?

Because we agreed to do the wedding legally. Something about beginning a building before figuring the cost...

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Pick me!  Pick me!

Ha. Ha.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

MIL. didn't/doesn't know how much it is. She might be like "Oh, well then don't get a gift." I don't know, I'm just not going to be the one to find out. She's incredibly stressed about the wedding and not sleeping. Big mess. Avoiding.

Good night!

Eta: And we said we would do it. That's on us. But if it's $150 or whatever then yes, that's the gift.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

MIL. didn't/doesn't know how much it is. She might be like "Oh, well then don't get a gift." I don't know, I'm just not going to be the one to find out. She's incredibly stressed about the wedding and not sleeping. Big mess. Avoiding.

Good night!

Eta: And we said we would do it. That's on us. But if it's $150 or whatever then yes, that's the gift.

Why in the world would anyone other than the people receiving the gifts know what gift you gave? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I took the kids swimming for 2 hours today. Captain skipped his nap so it was a ploy to keep him from falling asleep too late in the day which would result in him still being awake at 10 pm. Now I can chill here as he is zonked out.

We have yet to go find the library here. The kids want to go tomorrow. We shall see how long it takes them to finish schoolwork.

And I still have not figured out what to do for spelling for DD and vocabulary for sons. Y'all got some ideas?

AND I really want to go to Scotland! Just saying...

Spelling.  Hmmmm.  Do you want to stick with AAS without the tiles?  You could just use a white board?  We mostly used SWO, but I know you said you don't like that.  I also used Spell to Write and Read for a while when my oldest was young, but I couldn't keep that up with more than 1 and get anything else done.  Honestly, spelling became a get 'er done subject that I didn't do as thoroughly as I would have liked.  #felpful

Good morning!

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Why in the world would anyone other than the people receiving the gifts know what gift you gave? 

Because she's a control freak. She always asks what we're giving and then tells us whether or not it's ok. If we do not comply we hear about it for months or sometimes years. Every issue I have with this woman is a control problem. Other than that she's quite lovely, but the need to control every aspect of our lives from where we live to where the kids go to school to whether I'm actually allergic to gluten will dictate all of her actions and is completely exhausting.

55 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Happy Wednesday morning!

I'm buried in deadlines and lessons and potty training. Please send chocolate.

I gave up being a good potty training mom. I tried for 3 months and he refused so I put underwear on him and said "You're potty trained now." It worked.

• Like 4

I've been spending quite a bit of time on duolingo recently.

Dh's alarm went off this morning and the first thought that went through my mind was "Que hora es?"

Oh.  That's not right.  "Quelle heure est-il?"

Sigh.  OK, brain, try again.

"What time is it?"

It's kind of neat that I'm starting to think in other languages.  I just have to remember to speak the right language with the right person...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

Solar guys are supposed to be coming back today. 

VBS went well last night. They’re serving dinner this year. Last night was taco Tuesday. They had a local restaurant come and serve street tacos. Very very yummy. I’m a small group leader for 6th grade. I got a really sweet group of adorable girls. And K and I (K is the other girls group leader for the Green Gadgets team) won the leaders round of three-way tug-o-war during recreation.  I was pretty proud of myself.  I’m just glad VBS is only three evenings this year instead of a whole week of mornings. That just wore me out.

Oh, and in case anyone was concerned (😂), we are not using the “Roar” curriculum. I think someone from out church actually wrote this one. It’s about spies and finding clues about God’s love for us. Or something like that. No cultural appropriation. Just CIA appropriation.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Advantage of being old: Having accumulated enough bitter experience to set firm boundaries. Advantage of being me: Having a bazooka to help enforce said boundaries. (Well, and duct tape for those individuals for whom use of the bazooka is not socially acceptable.) 😈

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

MIL isn't that bad. She's super stressed about the wedding and stressing me out because I'm easily stressed out. Things will be better after the wedding. She also hasn't forgiven us for moving here and constant remarks about that are getting tiresome.

I asked JJM if she really had a bazooka and I don't remember what the answer was. I do remember being surprised that she was pretty and feminine and wearing florals.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I just have to remember to speak the right language with the right person...

This is not a thing, especially when one is tired. What's really bad is when you're speaking one, thinking in another and neither is your native language.

Renai said once that if you mix languages you will use one grammar throughout the entire statement. I had never noticed that but it is absolutely true.

• Like 3

I'm going to the doctor.  Probably for her to tell me I have a cold and there's nothing they can do to help.   But I'm feverish (101.9), and coughing, and tired, and achy.  If nothing else, I need a refill for my albuterol because I need to use that more often when I'm sick and the one I have expired last year (although according to dh, those expiration dates don't really mean that much).  

I hate going to the doctor.  I hate being sick.  But I guess if I had to get sick, this was the week to do it. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

How do I make them pick up faster? They will spend 90 minutes on a 10 minute job because they're messing around. If I strongly encourage them they work hard for 2 minutes and then go back to playing.

Bribery.

i also tie clean up time to something they like. For example, “It’s almost tv/snack/going to the park time, but nobody’s getting anything until this room is cleaned up and vacuumed.”

• Like 4

Morning. It's still technically morning. Been writing all day. It keeps the bad feelings away. 

I'm entertaining the idea of getting Greek curriculum just for me. Somebody tell me I've got enough with trying to catch up Latin and tackle more French this year with the boys, not to mention trying to write all the books. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. It's still technically morning. Been writing all day. It keeps the bad feelings away. 

I'm entertaining the idea of getting Greek curriculum just for me. Somebody tell me I've got enough with trying to catch up Latin and tackle more French this year with the boys, not to mention trying to write all the books. 

I would do Greek after you're comfortable reading Latin and no longer feel the need to study.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I’m reviewing Latin this summer. I got bogged down and quit last fall. So, this summer I picked up Henle again and started from the beginning. I’m going quickly, but it feels good. I need lots of review and I like it to settle in before I move on.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I would do Greek after you're comfortable reading Latin and no longer feel the need to study.

I’m thinking about picking up a little Greek, too. Just because. I enjoy language as an academic study. I don’t ever want to have to speak it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

That will be never. I always need to study. 

ETA: It's a small-brain Booyah! 

I always have to study,

My brain is very poor,

When I put the knowledge in it,

It runs out on the floor.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Lost a pound 

You lose weight too fast.

13 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am not pretty. And I don’t wear florals. And I thought very strongly about using a bazooka on the phlebotomist who hurt me quite a lot this morning. 

(((Jean)))

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am not pretty. And I don’t wear florals. And I thought very strongly about using a bazooka on the phlebotomist who hurt me quite a lot this morning. 

JoJo's Mom has a nice bazooka. I bet she'd let you borrow it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Lost a pound 

I think i’ve Gained 5. This HRT is a mixed-bag. Hopefully it’ll keep away the UTIs and there are some, uhhhh, teA -related benefits, but my complexion looks like a 13 year old, I’m eating everything in site and my cycles have started again. I understand this is normal, but.... good grief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

How do I make them pick up faster? They will spend 90 minutes on a 10 minute job because they're messing around. If I strongly encourage them they work hard for 2 minutes and then go back to playing.

It's their age.  Give them 3 2-minute tasks.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have lost two pounds since January. You have a weird definition of “too fast “. 

But that's a whole pound in like two weeks! I don't know, Jean. I think you're really walking on the wild side.

Eta: You said no one could accuse you of losing weight too fast. I was making a joke.

Edited by Slache
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I've been spending quite a bit of time on duolingo recently.

Dh's alarm went off this morning and the first thought that went through my mind was "Que hora es?"

Oh.  That's not right.  "Quelle heure est-il?"

Sigh.  OK, brain, try again.

"What time is it?"

It's kind of neat that I'm starting to think in other languages.  I just have to remember to speak the right language with the right person...

Yeah, I remember watching a Chinese show, reading English subtitles (second time through show), and interpreting it in Spanish in my brain. It was quite...interesting. I also will mix all three languages, but it's usually a substitution of only a couple of words per sentence. 

24 minutes ago, Slache said:

This is not a thing, especially when one is tired. What's really bad is when you're speaking one, thinking in another and neither is your native language.

Renai said once that if you mix languages you will use one grammar throughout the entire statement. I had never noticed that but it is absolutely true.

Yes. And, who said it's bad?!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Slache said:

I gave up being a good potty training mom. I tried for 3 months and he refused so I put underwear on him and said "You're potty trained now." It worked.

I kinda did that with Dancer. Except, she had run out of diapers on Saturday morning, I had no money to buy more, so told her she had to start using the potty. Her home daycare provider was shocked when I went in on Monday and let her know she was in underwear. She only had a couple of accidents that week, so I guess it worked. 

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m thinking about picking up a little Greek, too. Just because. I enjoy language as an academic study. I don’t ever want to have to speak it.

Me too. Although, I do like to speak languages too. Right now with Chinese, it's interesting to see how some characters fit together to make words, or how I can figure out some characters because one part of it (radical) means something. It doesn't always work out that way, but it's an interesting intellectual exercise.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I think I'd better stick with English.  My brain gets mixed up enough as it is with just one language!  :laugh:

I saw a meme that said "If you can't remember a word say "I forget the word in English" so people think you're bilingual instead of an idiot.

So my thing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I kinda did that with Dancer. Except, she had run out of diapers on Saturday morning, I had no money to buy more, so told her she had to start using the potty. Her home daycare provider was shocked when I went in on Monday and let her know she was in underwear. She only had a couple of accidents that week, so I guess it worked.

He new how, he was just being a butt! It was making me crazy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Paradox5 said:

And you ate going to share this recipe, right?

It's kind of hard to share because the ingredients are short but it's long on fiddly steps.  It's in volume 1 of the How Can it Be Gluten Free Cookbook.

Basically you melt one pound of chocolate with 1 cup of butter and 1/4 coffee in the microwave.  Beat 8 eggs for about 8 minutes on high until very thick.  Fold eggs in batches into the melted chocolate mixture.  Put in 325 degree oven in a springform pan that is in a water bath for 45 minutes.  Take out and let cool down for 45 minutes before transferring to a rack for 45 more minutes.  Then chill for 12 hours.  (The long chill time is absolutely necessary for it to set.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I’m making English Trifle for dh. Apparently the way I made it before was wrong.

REAL trifle has “jelly” aka JELLO with fruit in it on the bottom, then cake (Sarah Lee pound cake), then custard (found some at Kroger), lastly whipped cream (Cool Whip).

I have been doing it wrong: Cake, fruit, pudding, Cool Whip. 🤨

I can't tell if I'm okay with this or not.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Do it!  What curriculum were you thinking about getting?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

I never learned Latin.  I say she drops the Latin and turns herself into a Greek goddess. jmnsho

Ok. I'm down with this.

2 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Do it!  What curriculum were you thinking about getting?

Yes. Which?

• Like 1