Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am happy to say that one of the neighbor’s husband is alive. I haven’t seen him in over a year and he is always in such bad shape that his death was not out of the realm of possibility. But it didn’t exactly seem like the kind of thing that you could ask about. And the more months went by I didn’t even feel like I could ask “how is your husband doing” in case the answer was “he died a year ago “. So I was very relieved to see him hobbling out to the mailbox. They have young kids. 

• Like 9

Good morning!  Happy Father's Day, ITT Dads!

I've been up a couple hours making 3 rounds of Father's Day breakfast pancakes.  1st round for ds23 who had to leave extra early, then round 2 for dh and two kids who are singing/playing in services today, and then for the rest of us.  I'm ready to go back to bed.  But instead I'll get dressed and try to look presentable for the next couple hours.

Pantz!

Coffee!

• Like 8

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Today is my first Father's Day without either of my dads.  😞 

I am staying home from church today to continue prepping for my endoscopy/colonoscopy.  I'll be glad when the procedure is over.  I want some real food.  :)

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Father’s Day!!! ((Junie)) for missing dads.

Church then lunch with my dad and DH’s dad over for the infamous German sausage. I’m up early to make a pie. I’m having t9 make an apple pie, I had planned on making my Bad A$$ Fruit Cobbler, but I has no fruit. I cannot believe that I live in Central California in the middle of June and I has no peaches. Something is seriously wrong here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I'm up, making first breakfast.  Only other person up is friend's dh.  They leave for their church way earlier than we leave, so I'm making a bit of breakfast for them, then will make ours later, since dh is sleeping in.  It is Father's Day, after all.  

I think we're just grilling steaks, shrimp, etc for supper.   Last night, ds12 said, "They said we might go to the mall tomorrow." Some of the kids have been asking to go.  I told him we were absolutely not going to the mall on Father's Day when his dad so dislikes going there.  Crazy kid!  

OHMYGOSH! TheAngiFamily are Hobbits!!! :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Sunday, and hugs all around. But if you see me here again before Thursday, I need you to Laser Glare me. DS has gone to camp and this may be the only time this year I can Do All the Things.

I am taking Thursday off if and only if I have behaved. We fetch him Saturday morning.

• Like 6

Lunch is done, company gone, dishwasher humming, and I am laying around. Lunch turned out great . The German Sausage sandwiches were da bomb. Oh, but get this. So, we’re talking about my harrowing experience procuring the meat and my mom says, “well, you can get German Sausage at the supermarket.” And i’m Like, “what?? I go through all that and I can get it at the supermarket??” And she says, “sure, but it’s a dollar a pound cheaper at the auto repair shop.” And all I could say was, “svengo!,” a great big huge svengo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

We went down to Temple Square in Salt Lake to walk around the gardens. I found what I am 99% sure are serviceberry trees with ripe berries--I tasted a few and they were really good. Now I want to figure out what variety they are because the serviceberries (shrub type) in my yard are not nearly as juicy.

My kids say I set a terrible example by eating berries that I couldn't positively identify. I know I won't die though because that would be breaking the rules.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Dh and I watched Top Gun. It says PG. It is NOT PG!!! Not even by 80's standards is it PG! But the special features are interesting.

Yeah....I don’t think so, either. I remember that being a pretty racy movie.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Me either. I've been to Temple Square loads of times in the past. Where are these mystery delicious berry trees? 

They were on the west side of the Conference Center, so technically across the street from Temple Square. Dh and the kids were visiting the gardens up on the roof but littlest Kernel cried at being taken away from the waterfall so he and I were on our way back to it when I found the berry trees. Serviceberries are also called juneberries, June is definitely the month to find them.

• Like 5

I brought home a few of the berries and am going to plant the seeds; I posted pictures on the growingfruit forum and folks there verified that they are serviceberries. Also, the seeds have the typical almond flavor. They're technically a pom fruit, related to apples and such. 

• Like 5

Good morning! It's The Queen's favorite day!

That's a neat tree - I've never heard of a service berry!

Dd10 has fiddle camp this week; I am having a hard time justifying the time it will take out of my day for this activity, for one kid.  But thus and so.  The house will remain a disaster for at least two more weeks.

Coffee!

• Like 6

Weren't we just talking about getting sick when you have downtime?  I'm sick.   Didn't sleep at all last night.  Stuffy head, runny nose, achy throat, coughing, sneezing, body hurts, miserable.  No real fever though (99.7).   Probably just a nasty cold.  It came on super suddenly, like I knew the moment my throat starting feeling scratchy.  

I'm supposed to do two tutoring jobs today of an hour each, and have our last 4-H meeting tonight.   Dh can't do 4-H without me, two leaders are required and we don't yet have a backup.  I'm trying to decide if I can just be there sitting in the corner while he runs it or if I should go ahead and cancel.   It's just an end of year party that we originally were going to do at the lake but it's supposed to thunderstorm this evening. 

I probably should just cancel everything so I can rest.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Weren't we just talking about getting sick when you have downtime?  I'm sick.   Didn't sleep at all last night.  Stuffy head, runny nose, achy throat, coughing, sneezing, body hurts, miserable.  No real fever though (99.7).   Probably just a nasty cold.  It came on super suddenly, like I knew the moment my throat starting feeling scratchy.  

I'm supposed to do two tutoring jobs today of an hour each, and have our last 4-H meeting tonight.   Dh can't do 4-H without me, two leaders are required and we don't yet have a backup.  I'm trying to decide if I can just be there sitting in the corner while he runs it or if I should go ahead and cancel.   It's just an end of year party that we originally were going to do at the lake but it's supposed to thunderstorm this evening. 

I probably should just cancel everything so I can rest.  

I vote cancel everything and rest.

• Like 5

What I am actually doing: I have 4000 words to write, and hope to pad that and go for a huge word day. It's abominably hot and supposed to rain later. Good writing weather. I had planned a quiet morning with music and writing, and a nice little bowl of popcorn by myself, and watching the cats nap. My boys were going to be on vacation.

Well, plans changed. They got all their stuff "done", and came back home yesterday afternoon. So now I'll still do most of what I had planned, but dinner has to double in size, as does that bowl of popcorn. And they are already bored because I planned to write all day...😂

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Monday!!!😩😩😩

Today is the first official day of Summer Vacation.  But, everyone in this family will continue to slog their way through math. And DS will be taking an on-line driver’s ed course because the high school he will attend in the fall isn’t offering it anymore. And all the minions are mad at me because I am not allowing them to sink to the lowest common denominator this summer and do nothing. They have to make their beds every day and each person will be in charge of making lunch once a week. Gasp. I know, the horror. And we will be visiting the library weekly. 

Solar guys are coming to install today. As soon as we are hooked up I am going to pump the AC down to 60 degrees and bundle up. Just because I can.😂

VBS starts this week. It’ll be three evenings, instead of a week of mornings. Apparently the local school district is insisting most kids take summer school, so that is why our church is doing VBS at night. I am not complaining. VBS is not my favorite thing. At all. We have leader training tonight. VBS itself starts tomorrow night till Thursday night.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have never watched it.

It had a great sound track. And Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer were quite the hotties. And it was quite “instructive” for a bunch of extremely naive and sheltered girls in the 80’s. 😂😂😂

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

It had a great sound track. And Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer were quite the hotties. And it was quite “instructive” for a bunch of extremely naive and sheltered girls in the 80’s. 😂😂😂

I saw Top Gun once, probably in college--it was popular among the wannabe pilots in AFROTC. I mostly remember a bunch of them getting up on stage at the military ball to sing "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" 🙂

Cocky flyboys they were, but I've always had a soft spot for them. Most did end up with wings.

• Like 3

So today is kind of crazy and kind of relaxing all at the same time.  Dh said good-bye to retirement to start a new job today, so he is gone.  Youngest is sick so we stayed home instead of going to swim and violin.  SO nice to be home and do laundry and dishes and such.  I'm taking her to the dr. this afternoon since she has a very sore throat and a fever.  The real clincher is that on the heels of his own cold, my Dad's oxygen is lower than it should be and breathing is difficult.  He finally agreed to go to the ER this morning and will possibly be admitted.  So thankful he is being treated.    

• Like 5

I cancelled everything and tried to lay down for a nap.  No luck sleeping so I got up.  It probably would have kept me from sleeping tonight if I had been successful anyway.

Anyone else always feel like a slacker when they actually cancel things due to being sick?  When I was a kid (and with exh) I was always treated like I was just slacking off/being lazy/lying to get out of doing things/  when I was sick.  It makes it very hard for me to take the time off, I always feel like I'm being lazy/slacking off/could really push through this it's not that bad.

Except I really do feel that bad. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Anyone else always feel like a slacker when they actually cancel things due to being sick?  When I was a kid (and with exh) I was always treated like I was just slacking off/being lazy/lying to get out of doing things/  when I was sick.  It makes it very hard for me to take the time off, I always feel like I'm being lazy/slacking off/could really push through this it's not that bad.

Except I really do feel that bad. 

I don't feel like a slacker when I cancel things.

Maybe because I am always juggling too many things so having to let something or other drop happens all the time. I've had to give up any delusions of being able to actually stay on top of everything.

• Like 4

I badly want the money to hire someone to:

Fix/replace the various broken doors in the house

Replace the basement carpet with some kind of hard flooring

Paint everything I haven't painted yet

Replace both my toilets (or at least figure out how to find replacements for the broken ceramic tops)

And build me a new deck as ours is rapidly falling apart and it is the only house access to the back yard.

Some of this I will manage eventually--doors and painting, maybe flooring. Building a deck is not within my comfort zone.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, maize said:

I badly want the money to hire someone to:

Fix/replace the various broken doors in the house

Replace the basement carpet with some kind of hard flooring

Paint everything I haven't painted yet

Replace both my toilets (or at least figure out how to find replacements for the broken ceramic tops)

And build me a new deck as ours is rapidly falling apart and it is the only house access to the back yard.

Some of this I will manage eventually--doors and painting, maybe flooring. Building a deck is not within my comfort zone.

A year or two ago dh was talking on the phone with his dad.  When dh got off the phone he had an amused expression on his face.

He said his dad had gotten bored and built a deck on the front of his house.

FIL is in his late 80s!!

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Junie said:

A year or two ago dh was talking on the phone with his dad.  When dh got off the phone he had an amused expression on his face.

He said his dad had gotten bored and built a deck on the front of his house.

FIL is in his late 80s!!

If your FIL gets bored again send him my way 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4